main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens Vs. Predator Movies Discussion Thread (First 5 Minutes of AVP2 Online Legally!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/poster.jpg]

Here we will discuss the Alien Vs. Predator movie/movies. I think the general consensus is that this movie was just plain bad. I would have to agree with this. The only thing I could say I liked about the movie were the fights between the Alien and the Predators. Those were very short though. I didn't really like how fast they killed the Predators. I saw this movie just because I have been waiting to see the 2 famous creatures on the same screen. The movie was to short also. This movie would have been great if they went by the graphic novel storyline that was released in the early 1990's. I was a bit disappointed with the PG-13 rating. I wish they went with the traditional R Rating. One thing I can say I definately liked was the music. I thought it went well with the fight scenes. The music at the end was good. It went well with all the Predators uncloaking and the ship flying away.

There is a sequel in the works. Alien Vs. Predator 2 is shooting for a August 2007 release date. I guess a good thing on this could be that Paul Anderson isn't on this one.

Here are some links to articles regarding the sequel.

http://iesb.net/fox2006/012606.php

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9456

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    All I can say is best pitch ever.

We want to make a movie. Remember Alien? Well he is going to fight Predator. There's your pitch.

FOX producer hands a wasted check of 60 million to director.

FOX producer [thinking] Alien made millions, Predator made millions. This should be the blockbuster of the summer :p

3. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Hopping in at the ground floor. :D People might know me as the single most obsessed Alien/Predator/AvP fan to ever post on the JCC. ;)

I liked the 'AvP' movie. It gave me exactly what I expected: Aliens and Predators fighting eachother on screen in a movie.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    That's why I saw the movie. To see the Predators and Aliens fight on screen. however, they killed off the 2 predators too fast IMO.

5. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, one got ambushed, and the other almost won the fight... until he got cocky and reckless, and then he paid the price.

In the original script for 'AvP' (and in the movie novelization), there are 5 Predators, not 3.

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    The concept was bulletproof, but somehow they managed to screw it up.

It was watchable, but not the action fest that it should have been.

7. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    I'll gladly agree that 'AvP' wasn't perfect, but I can't understand the people who cry out that it was the worst movie ever made, or the people who were expecting some sort of Shakespeare, or something of the caliber of 'Citizen Kane'.

8. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    The fight scenes were the best part of the movie, but they were way to short. To much time was spent on the human characters who except for Lance Henrikson weren't that interesting.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Thats usually the argument I use on movies like this. You go to watch stuff blow up not to see the next Oscar winner.

Even then this movie blew. Nothing about it was even remotely defensible IMO. Even if there was some kind of "cool factor" to it the fact that it completely falls apart in the last act destroys anything it might of had going for it before.

For me, it ranks right up there as one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theater. This coming from a guy that saw A Sound of Thunder and BloodRayne in theaters (though admittedly they were much, much, much, much worse).

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I definitely agree that the humans had waaaay too much screentime. I blame the stupid general audience.

Everything else I liked well enough. Even though we didn't get that much of them, I always giggle uncontrollable during any Predator scene. Coolest creature ever (and has only half as many movies as the Aliens ;)).

oh, and yeah, people expected far far too much.

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    A halfway decent movie isn't expecting too much.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i agree. the moment i heard Paul Anderson was attached to this movie I wasn't expecting a masterpiece like Alien or Aliens. but it could've been a lot better. i didn't like the fact that they went for a PG-13 rating to get a bigger audience. i wish they went with the R and more violence and gore.

13. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    I love it and still do.

IMO, I don't get why people are complaining about the preds going down too fast, when you take into account that this was the first time they had actually fought Aliens.

The Aliens are not cannon fodder. They are intelligent creatures.

14. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    first time in the movies on screen for us, yes. the predators have face the aliens before as shown in the movie during the flashback scenes. even though this is the Films and Television forum if you read the Alien Vs. Predator graphic novels from the 90's then you'll see that the predators put up more of fight. the only decent fight we saw in the movie was the one predator who faces the Alien that impales the other predator through the chest. and even then he gets killed fairly fast.

i won't question you on the Aliens are not cannon fodder and they are intelligent creatures. i definately agree with that. but the fights should've been drawn out more regardless if the predators died or lived

15. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Might I recommend watching the "unrated director's cut" DVD that was released a few months ago.

16. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i have it but even that wasn't worth an R Rating. a little bit more blood and some extra minor scenes. that's it

17. weezer

May 16, 2001
    You might. :p

I hadn't actually heard about that. I might rent it some night (infact I think I have one more free rental maybe thats what I'll blow it on) but honestly it would take a lot to have a redeemable movie for me.

I've read bunches of reviews where fans point out that Anderson shot a better movie and that the studio butchered it but its Anderson were talking about so I don't know what I think of his "good".

Some reviews mentioned what had been put back in but other then explaining why the Alien life-cycle is accelerated (which I could of cared less about) nothing about it sounds like its a better movie. What is added (or better yet subtracted) to make it a better movie?

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    from what i've watched i can't see anything that explains the accelerated alien life cycle in the movie

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Huh, maybe that review was out of date or taking about cut scene that weren't necessarly put back into the directors cut.

20. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I saw it for the first time last night.

It was an okay movie that could have been a lot better. It didn?t have the feel of an Alien movie, but we can blame the Director for that.

I was moved to tears by the romance between the Predator and the girl. I wasn?t expecting that at all.

It doesn't need a sequel.

21. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    There isn't anything added in that addresses that, although the movie's novelization DOES address it - the Predators were pumping the Queen full of hormones which increased her reproductive cycle (i.e., made her crank out eggs like an assembly line), and that effect also makes Aliens get implanted in hosts faster, and makes them grow to full size faster.
    Granted, I'd have liked to have seen this addressed in the movie, but the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure how they'd do it and get the point across to the audience without totally sidetracking whatever was going on at the time.

The sequel won't be a direct continuation of the plot - it'll pretty much be another 'AvP' movie, with different characters and a different setting. Much like how the myriad Alien/Predator/AvP novels and comics aren't necessarily connected. For example, the "AvP2" PC game has nothing to do with the first AvP PC game, except for one offhand name-drop of "Odebenus Station", which was one of the locations from the first game.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    now if they did a movie based off of the second computer game or the graphic novels then that would be great. i loved the storyline for both of them

23. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    Have you ever read Aliens Vs. Predator: Prey? And I mean the book, not the comic. The three you saw in the movie were undertaking their blooding ritual, in which a bunch of teenage predators who have never fought an Alien before are dropped off on some world, along with an experienced leader. The teenagers each have to kill at least one adult Alien, then the leader etches a mark on their foreheads with its blood.

Also, I am glad that the fights were not drawn out. Gives it more of realistic feel.

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I totally agree.

It's sad that the plots from the comic books from the Alien / Predator / AvP series have been far superior to any of the movies post-Aliens.

25. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    You mean the ones that potrayed the Aliens as mindless bugs and the Predators as super men? If thats the case, then no thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.