main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Aliens Vs. Predator Movies Discussion Thread (First 5 Minutes of AVP2 Online Legally!)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    yeah. we need a hard R-Rated AVP like the Alien and Predator movies.

2. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Totally agree.

3. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wait a minute; You mean to tell me that when I said "Predalien" that my sarcasm was an actual title? They call them that for real? Sweet.

I'm even more interested in this whole thing now. It seems that the majority of people here are in favor of the movies and also have knowledge and fondness of the novels and comic book sourses of AVP. Usually, when a film is based on text like books and comics, the movie adaptation is almost always met with the typical "The book is better. The movie isn't honoring the source material. Yadda". This is the case even if the movie is pretty descent. So it's surprising to see support for AVP by people who are fond of the source material in light of the film being pretty bad. Does the movie represent items of one of the books?

4. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Sad to say it wouldn't matter how bad the movie probably was, if it had a Predator or an Alien in it. I'd go see it, just in the hope of seeing a few moments of genius.

5. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    Honesty is priceless. I too liked the idea of Preditors and Aliens fighting it out on the screen. But I'm pretty geekish when it comes to my DVD collection and I have movies in there that arent that great but for the sake of being a sci-fi-fantasy fan I have them and watch them when the mood calls. But I have yet to get AVP. I saw the film at the theatre and it was amusing enough for a time out at the movies- but when I feel something has some form of replay value I always cop the DVD. This is a title I should have just got on content alone. I see it sometimes when I'm in stores and always say I'm gonna grab it on a discount sometime but havent gotten around to it. I'm a kinda sequelist so I know the minute another is released I'll buy the first one. I may have a compulsive disorder when it comes to sequels for my collection. I dont have goblet of fire or scary movie4 and it drives me crazy.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'd see it too, but I'll be praying that it's quality, hardcore, and rated R. I don't wanna a kid friendly AVP.

Yep.:)

7. NeoBaggins

Oct 28, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Aye, you have one of my favorites quotes from Conan. Actually THE favorite quote. I walk around saying that often but not at work because of the sexual harrassment implication that "Lamentations of the Women" might cause.

Alien VS Preditor

Freddy VS Jason

Why dont they just get it over and spit out RoboCop VS Terminator. You know they want to.

8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

[face_laugh]

That's good ****.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Just as a reminder filming for AVP: Survival of the Fittest is set to start filming this saturday September 23rd.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Aylesworth and Pasquale Set for AVP2

Reiko Aylesworth and Steven Pasquale have been cast as the leads in 20th Century Fox's Alien vs. Predator 2, which begins filming next week in Vancouver, reports Variety.

Greg and Colin Strause direct from a script by Armageddon writer Shane Salerno. Davis Entertainment's John Davis and Robbie Brenner are producing.

Aylesworth, a former series regular on Fox's "24," recently finished filming The Killing Floor, executive produced by Avi Arad and Doug Liman, as well as a supporting role in Mr. Brooks.

Pasquale appears in the FX series "Rescue Me." His film credits include Aurora Borealis.

11. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Interesting, but the main thing I want to hear is what the actual story is about.

12. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    From IESB.net:

AVP 2 Closer to Cameron?s Aliens and Predator 3 Starring Sly Stallone?

Is there hope for AVP 2? According to one of our readers the storyline for the new film will resemble Cameron?s Aliens instead of the first AVP. He also tells us that there is talk for a new stand alone Predator film that will not feature The Rock or John Cena as previously rumored but instead possibly Sly Stallone.

This is way too much to digest this early in the morning, Sly Stallone back as an action hero? I know it sounds a bit crazy but Hollywood is full of craziness. Good example of unbelievable things that happen here in this town would be how Uwe Boll keeps getting money and is able to find great talent to make the biggest pieces of **** in cinematic history. If Hollywood used the ?Three Strikes and Your Out? premise that U.S. courts use on criminals Uwe would be waiting for the ?Electric Chair? right about now, hmm that?s an idea.

Our reader that goes by Ink Blot sent in this email with some details from AVP 2 plus some Predator 3 rumors. We can?t confirm any of this at the moment so for now take this for what it is? a rumor.

Hey Guys,

Saw your report about AVP2. I just finished - art - work on the film. It starts filming next week. Sally Hudson is our lead artist on the project, and she came up with some amazing things. Its going to be a much better - don't get me wrong, there were aspects of the first film that I liked - film than the first. The storyline heavily resembles more, say, Cameron's "Aliens" than the first AVP film. I think you'll be amazed at some of the new 'Alien' created for the film too. The lead male character has got 'Dutch' gold written all over him too. I think he'll be popular.

There's talk now - and again, its just talk, nothing concrete - that some of us might be re-hired soonish to start on the new 'Predator' film. I haven't had any contact from the studio about it. Others apparently have.

Originally, they were going to follow AVP up with a fifth "Alien" film, one that would team Sigourney and Ridley again, but it didn't work out (for reasons I'm not privy to). 'Predator 3' (won't be called that), would be a brand new chapter in the series - and all those rumors about it starring The Rock or John Cena as Schwarzenegger's character, Dutch, aren't true. One bit of a interesting talk is that Sylvester Stallone might be being coaxed to do battle with the new "Predator". Guess they're thinking someone who can equal Arnie's statue? Not that he'd be playing the same character. I'd say that the plan is solely on FOXs end, and not Sly's end - who seems to have enough 'franchises' on the go.

Anyway, keep you posted - just wanted to reassure you that AVP2 is looking good.

'Ink Blot'

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Sounds positive. I'm intrigued as to what one might mean by saying it will be closer to Aliens. Does that refer I wonder to the concept of hardcore soldiers going up against the aliens or a group of colonists being stuck with both creatures ala Ryushi(or maybe both)?

I've no idea why they don't just cut the crap and make the original AVP story into a film. It's a damn near perfect story, and Reiko Aylesworth might as well be playing Machiko Noguchi.

A tough marine kind of character, reminscent of Dutch or Hicks, was an element I found noticeably missing from the first film so news of Dutch gold is promising.

I've just thought that it's a curious mixture, on the one hand you have what is clearly an action series with Predator (complete with machoism oozing from the armpits) whilst on the other you have a deeply psychological horror series dominated by a female heroine.

14. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Now I'm really excited about AVP2, if all this is true. I'd love to see a Predator 3 as well, but while I have nothing against Stallone I like alot of his movies I just wonder if hes abit over the hill for a full on action movie. I'd prefer someone abit younger.

15. ZodVertigo

ZodVertigo Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm happy about this news as long as it's not a Aliens clone with Predators throwen into the mix. One thing I liked about the first movie was that it was orginal in both characters and story, and that only little tip offs to fans were put in instead of being shoved in your face like same sequels try these days.

16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    That is interesting news.

17. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    this news is making me a little happier after what previous reports have been

18. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    Some more Rating and Casting news:

From IESB.net

IESB: I am sold. AVP 2, man, you are just keeping the fanboys ecstatic?

TR: We are genre lovers, yeah, I just started [AVP 2] actually, we?re stoked. It?s a pretty big piece of news?I don?t know?

IESB: Oh come on...Tom it?s me?

TR: Everybody will just?

IESB: What, are you giving it to Variety? Ooh-ahh?

TR: Let?s put it this way, I think the approach this time is going to be very hardcore. Very R rated. I think this is a, we believe that, this pass on AVP with these filmmakers is going to be a lot closer to the hardcore experience.

IESB: I am hearing that this AVP 2 script resembles a lot of [James] Cameron?s Aliens, that it is very hard, and it doesn?t resemble the first AVP film much. Is that accurate?

TR: That is accurate. Very hardcore. Very violent.

IESB: Can you tell me what time frame this takes place in?

TR: Yeah, it?s contemporary.

IESB: Is Lance Henrikson going to have any kind of appearance?

TR: I have no comment

IESB: That?s fair. Someone sends me this rumor that you guys are so happy with the way things are turning out for AVP 2 that you are already looking at a stand alone Predator film, any truth to that?

TR: Yes and no, no truth to that in current active prep, but yes it?s true that it?s something that we think and talk about.

From [link=http://www.planetavp.com/]PlanetAVP.com[/link]

Hey, they added three new cast members on Internet Movie Database's AvP2 movie page: David Hornsby, playing "Drew"; Johnny Lewis, playing "Ricky"; and Gina Holden, playing...I have no idea. I have no idea who Drew or Ricky are, either.
    [hr]

From [link=http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=7765]CHUD.com[/link]

It?s no secret that I am less than psyched about Alien vs Predator 2, even with CHUD friend Shane Salerno writing the script. Besides all the general misgivings about the project, recent casting news ? a bunch of TV actors I?ve never seen ? hasn?t lit me on fire.

But now a secret informer (yeah, we get those sometimes too!) has told me that there?s some decent casting news coming. Our informer claims that John Ortiz, last seen in Miami Vice, will be playing the fairly large role of Morales.*

I never did write a review of Miami Vice, but I wasn?t hugely impressed with the film. That said, I thought Ortiz, who played Jose Yero, the drug cartel middle man, was fantastic. Ortiz has been doing the TV rounds for a while and has recently been breaking into bigger and bigger films ? he?s currently shooting Ridley Scott?s American Gangster.

So there?s some pretty good news for you. Sadly, I doubt any casting will make Alien vs Predator 2 any good, but a couple of good actors may just make it watchable.[/color][/i]

19. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Its good to see that they're making a more hardcore movie. I'm not to fond of the contempary setting, but maybe it'll be alright.

20. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i don't mind the contemporary setting. it's all in the plot and story that counts. although i wouldn't mind something with the colonial marines in a future movie :D

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    AvP: Survival of the Fittest Filming News

Meanwhile, for all you Alien vs. Predator fans out there, filming is currently underway on Mount Seymour, just north of Vancouver. The scenes being shot involve the "hero" attempting to survive a helicopter crash in a spectacular set piece. Filming will continue through Tuesday and Wednesday. (Mt. Seymour last played home to Underworld: Evolution, where the film's opening winter battle scenes were shot).

22. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Some news on casting from Comingsoon.net:

Shareeka Epps ("Half Nelson"), John Ortiz ("Miami Vice") and Johnny Lewis ("The O.C.") have been cast in 20th Century Fox's Alien vs. Predator: Survival of the Fittest.

Epps will play Kendra, a young girl who must protect her little brother. Ortiz will play a recently elected sheriff. Lewis plays Ricky, a troubled kid. They join a cast that includes Reiko Aylesworth and Steven Pasquale.

Written by Shane Salerno ("Armageddon") and directed by Colin Strause and Greg Strause, the movie is scheduled for a December 21, 2007 release.

23. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Can't say I'm loving the sound of those characters, a young girl who has to look after her little brother, Ricky the troubled kid they sound kind of lame. I can only hope the alien takes them out first.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'm a little surprised we haven't had any filming news for a little over a week now.

25. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I want to see some Predator payback. One Alien took out two Predators last time. Now I want to see the predators get some payback! And it would rule if "Broken Tusk" made an appearence!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.