main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation All anthology films lead to Episode IV?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ObidioJuan, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Just wondering if two films make a trend.

RO is set right against ANH.

SOLO is kind of setting up (at least age-wise) to potentially end with Han and Chewie landing on Tatooine and entering the cantina.

With talk of a Kenobi, or Fett (or even Yoda) spin-off, will all the Anthology films gravitate to fill in the blanks to what other characters were doing in-and-around the time of ANH?

Just wondering what you guys thought of this. Not saying it's a bad thing, but surely there could be other interesting time-periods or eras to explore other than the ANH timeframe

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A new trilogy of Prequels.

Sab Jo, Avnar and B3 like this.
  3. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    The pre-post-prior-previous-aforementioned-preceding-preexisting-subsequent trilogy.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think that’s the intent, at least for now. ANH is the first film that was released, thus it’s the foundation of Star Wars. Like how Marvel had lead in films for the Avengers, Disney is having lead in films for ANH. It just so happens that the film was released 40 years ago.

5. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I think if they do Yoda it will be pre-TPM. But other than that one, yeah it certainly seems like they're all set between ROTS and ANH.

I guess that's because the Empire era offers a lot of classic Star Wars imagery they can play with even if they didn't want to use familiar characters. It's a safe place to start from. It probably also helps that they have all those live action series scripts and ideas that Lucas helped to develop that they can mine for potential new movies in this era.

samlecompte1994 likes this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    IS there even gonna be another Anthology??

7. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

While I agree with you as the most plausible and likely explanation as to why they're setting the Anthology films in that era, I wish that Disney had more guts to try something new.

Granted past results have turned out to be rather hit-and-miss but at least some made it great on the box-office or expanded the universe.

I had hoped that the Anthology films would explore new areas of the universe. Or tell stories from a different POV. I.E. A Bobba Fett movie told from Bobba's perspective and values. A pre-TPM movie centered around "normal" pre-Sith Jedi-padawan relationship. Perhaps a Dooku-young Qui-Gonn movie.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  8. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Definitely agree that I hope they branch out more going forward. Hopefully Rian's new trilogy will be a success and encourage them to explore more new things. I would love a Dooku & Young Qui-Gon movie!

Sab Jo likes this.
  9. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    What I would really like to see is a GoT type of story but set in a SW setting. That could be cool. It may pose a risk to LFL and the franchise but it would be so worth it. Maybe taking out some of the nudity aspects of GoT but keeping some of the rest that would be cool.

After all the PT had a lot of politics and SW as a whole has princesses and Queens and knights and different "kingdoms", and magic and dragons/monsters.

Bowen and Darkslayer like this.
  10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I was thinking about this last night, and I have a feeling they might quietly drop it and reduce their Star Wars output to one film every two years. Think about it: Kennedy said they would decide what the third stand-alone film would be over the summer. We had unofficial "confirmation" that it would be a Kenobi film, but Disney/Lucasfilm never commented on it; we've still yet to hear anything. Then last month we have a whole trilogy spearheaded by Rian Johnson announced, albeit with no set release date for the first film. It can be assumed it'll be 2020 or later, 2021 maybe more likely. And yet that gets announced before the movie that's supposed to be coming out in 2020? I mean, Solo was announced back in 2015, a bit less than three years prior to the film's release date; we should have heard something a bit more concrete by now.

But maybe they decided that one film a year was putting too much of a strain on their ability to be efficient and run a straight ship, given the issues that they had getting Rogue One and Solo across the finish line. And maybe, while debating what to do going forward, Rian "Oversaw the Smoothest Production a Star Wars Film Has Ever Seen" Johnson pitched a whole new trilogy to them. So now, instead of having to bank on standalone spin-off of the core Saga in perpetuity, they now have a whole new trilogy-length story in front of them with brand new characters and designs and what have you, satiating the fan base's desire for "new" after their desire for nostalgia waxed and waned overnight; a far more enticing prospect. At first I thought Johnson's trilogy might take the place of the Skywalker Saga films in the release slate going forward, but now I think it might be Star Wars for its duration.

Of course, now that I've typed all this Kenobi will probably be officially announced alongside like three other Anthology films tomorrow, but c'est la vie.

11. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Interesting point.

Maybe the focus has shifted from Anthology films to Saga films.

Instead of doing another 2-3 Anthology films, better to do Episodes X-XII?.

I agree perhaps the Anthology films have been more trouble for their worth, and they are now deciding to move the story forward and not backwards.

12. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    After seeing TLJ, they definitely need to focus and "redouble their efforts" to get X-XII right. The writing needs much improvement.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  13. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Another factor is the reuse of Film Sets.

14. samlecompte1994

samlecompte1994 Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2017
    A Yoda one would be something different for a one off film. would love to see an anthro film on any event between 6 and 7(like the battle over Jakku, Rey's home planet). My wish, like most fans, is for Old Republic era content, even if not that actual game story(which I adore), to appear(it averts nearly every constraint they have), even if it a one off film for the Mandalorian wars.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think we'll get a Kenobi and maybe even a sequel to "Solo" if it warrants it, maybe make it the Guardians of the Galaxy. But I think mostly spin off films will be in the Dark Times because they get to play with the iconic Star Wars toys and time period.

cwustudent and PymParticles like this.
  16. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    That would be Epic!

Sab Jo likes this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I will say that I kind of like this idea that they're filling out the timeline between ROTS and ANH. Although I hope they move on soon, the promise of a new trilogy has kind of made me more okay with the additional exploration of the purge/empire timeframe. If we think about it, (assuming the Kenobi film becomes a reality) we will have covered that timeline from three different perspectives: The Rebel Alliance and their struggle, the smugglers and bounty hunters, and (possibly) the Jedi...

Sab Jo, Wildcatbarry and B3 like this.
  18. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I have never felt like Lucasfilm was confident in the "Anthology" branding. And I don't really see an overarching plan for the series of films. So I would not be surprised to see them quietly move on.

19. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I don't know how soon we will see X-XII if they do happen. We will get RJ's new trilogy probably after 9, but will there still be anthologies between those gap years? I thought that was the plan. I don't want to see two trilogies intertwining with release years though. Then again I don't know how many anthology films are too much. Eventually they will run out of content for this time period. Maybe take a stab at the OR era. But I feel like that could be a trilogy on its own.

Sab Jo likes this.
  20. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    The best timeline, IMHO, to explore would be the first Sith War KOTOR timeframe before or around the time that the Sith instituted the rule of 2.

Another interesting, but potentially risky proposition would be to follow to Bothan spies that gathered the intelligence that led to the events in ROTJ. The issue with this is that this could be perceived to be too similar to RO.

Sab Jo likes this.
  21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    But won't happen, not in this movie at least. We are led to believe that the story is set in two time periods, one where Han is in his late teens and the other his mid twenties. Within those two stories we have him meeting Lando (and the Falcon) and rescuing Chewie. The story ends five to six years before ANH which gives time for another couple of Solo movies as an option if this one is a success.

Sab Jo and Wildcatbarry like this.
  22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I have always wondered whether they had in mind that they would make another Han solo movie is this one did well.

Sab Jo and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I have always believed it would be the opposite tbh.

The anthology films seem way too marketable to be given up on since like Rogue One shows if you wanna bring back Darth Vader then you have an excuse... if you wanna being back Han Solo, Obi Wan, Sidious, Boba Fett then you have an excuse.

I think this is the reason why most of the anthologies will be set pre-episode 4 because there is so much to play with there.

Problem with new characters is that they are less familiar and so less marketable to a certain degree, and i assume they don't wanna run the episodic stories into the ground by making them too often and into less of an event.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Sab Jo likes this.
  24. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016
    I really would like to see a Battle of Jakku film, from the POV of some rebel soldier. Leia, et al. would only be mentioned in the background. Just seeing Star Destroyers crash into the sand would look pretty epic.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Sab Jo and cwustudent like this.
  25. DjangoKet

DjangoKet Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 15, 2015
    feel like thats why they would go for kenobi over fett for the third anthology, i feel like his back story would be more of a Empire Prequel than Old Ben's.
    tbh the preques were a bit of an Old Ben backstory - so much for 'a lack of character development'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.