main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph All-Encompassing Anime/Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Narutakikun, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I've seen everything.
    My favorite fight probably remains Spec vs Hanayama.

Mada yaru kai ?

[​IMG]

Darth Punk likes this.
  2. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    In one of my once in a great while catch catch up efforts... watching Death Note for the first time. Think I’m 10 episodes in, pretty good so far.

Darth Punk and 3sm1r like this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Seems like a lot of watching when you can get the gist of it in 13 seconds:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Death note is a masterpiece.

Netflix these days is glorious.
    Has anyone watched Devilman Crybaby?

Oh.My.God !

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, but I'm permanently haunted by the original comics. :p

Edit: Also my really spicy but uninformed take is that the director went so far as to state outright that he was trying to out-edgy Go Nagai but by all accounts he didn't out-edgy Violence Jack SO WHY EVEN BOTHER?!

3sm1r likes this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I watched Death Note a long time ago back in high school. I still enjoy the opening every once in a while

My favorite anime (and opening) is still Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

Talos of Atmora, 3sm1r and Kiki Jinn like this.
  7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Did a re-read of the Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga a few weeks ago, and as much as I like the film, the manga utterly leaves it in the dusk. Honestly think it might be Miyazaki's best work.

[​IMG]

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I have the Box Set of the manga that I bought off of Amazon several years ago. It's understandable as to why the film was a very abridged version of the manga's story; to the point where many primary characters weren't even included. The manga more like a LOTR epic than the released film has you realize.
    [​IMG]

Lordban likes this.
  9. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Amongst other concerns, that'll kill VRV, which sucks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Watching Evangelion.
    It's just crazy how good this is.
    I am amazed.

The anime that Netflix is offering this last year are a long sequence of life changing masterpieces.

Death note, Baki, Devilman crybaby, now this.....
    Wooow!

Lordban likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    3sm1r likes this.
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I clicked on the link and I got the movie immediately spoilered by a huge JTS post.................

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    D’oh! Such was not my intent.

Also for reasons which will become obvious upon viewing you’re not as spoiled as you think.

3sm1r likes this.
  15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Right now I am at episode 6.
    Ayanami is my favorite character so far.

I love how they showed the personal drama of these little kids. Too often in sci-fi those who fight are all brave and cheerful. Here they are broken inside.

Ramza likes this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    While they do handle the very specific tribulations of the characters well, it’s actually a somewhat common point of interest in mecha shows, probably because of the outsized influence of this guy named Yoshiyuki Tomino (Gundam, Space Runaway Ideon) who really thought it was silly that kid protagonists exposed to absurd danger in, e.g., Giant Robo or Tetsujin 28 were always so ****ing chipper*. He also pioneered the idea that a good show could still sell a lot of merchandise, which Eva also borrows. :p

*This is not to be confused with the idea that someone with personality issues could get in a robot, which is basically the whole... conceit? nihilistic joke?... behind Getter Robo, and thus has basically been there from the jump.

Edit: This is all a very verbose way of saying “If you like Eva there is a wealth of other stuff you might also like.”

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    3sm1r likes this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Initial reports were wrong, it cost $1.175 billion.

Since Sony also owns Funimation, they now own basically all distribution of anime that isn't exclusively licensed to Netflix.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I have finished the Evangelion series. I still need to watch the movie, and I guess it will be necessary in order to know how the story ends. I have to say that the last two episodes of the series were rather strange. I probably missed the point.

Then I'm basically watching everything Netflix offers in terms of anime.

Kakegurui is a little gem. I love how the faces of the characters deform when they are at the peak of their gambling euphoria.

Now I'm watching Toradora! . Apparently it was designed for middle and high school kids, but frankly I'm enjoying it anyway. Its probably because despite I'm secretly still a kid myself after all.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    End of Evangelion is...an experience.

3sm1r likes this.
  20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Esmir, watch one punch

3sm1r and Ramza like this.
  21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I went for Attack on Titan .
    There are really brilliant writers out there. Just take the story. Such a simple, almost naive idea, and yet they managed to make it work convincingly, and to keep you going ahead episode after episode.

I liken it to Evangelion in terms of the emotional struggle of the heroes. I think it was done very well here as well. I probably still prefer Evangelion due to the unbeatable quality of the fantastic universe, but I'm really impressed by this anime so far.

In general, it's just crazy how many masterpieces I could find just on Netflix. And every one is so unique both aesthetically and in terms of story.

Death note
    Deviman crybaby
    Evangelion
    Kakegurui
    Toradora!
    Baki
    Kengan Ashura
    Attack on Titan

up to two years ago I used to think that Dragonball and Pokemon were the best the anime world could offer lol.

(Jojo is the only one of which I'm not a fan, among those that are considered a must).

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    JoJo depends on the part. Like, I went in blind and loved a Victorian and then WWII era familial drama with vampires, so when stands came into play I was like "oh this is like a dozen other anime shows I've watched before", in a bad case of Seinfeld is unfunny. It grew on me, though, and I thought Part 5 was brilliant.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think I’ve mentioned in this thread before, but the first half of season one Attack on Titan is some of the most terrifying Anime you’ll ever see.

3sm1r likes this.
  24. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Is this a good manga? I’m searching for my next fantasy manga series .

25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I still believe that the top of the horror remains one specific scene of Devilman Crybaby, which still gives me nightmares after months, but yeah, AoT is quite devastating as well.