main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

All Star JCC/FIFA Football Team

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by FatBurt, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    After seeing MASTERPRENN's American Football team Squad selector thread I though it may be an idea to discuss the best of the best from Real Football.

We have been tasked to get the best squad of the best players in the world from any era.

We have to get a squad of 25.

3 Goalkeepers

8 Defenders

8 Midfielder

6 Strikers/Forwards

Rules

one player per post with a credible reason why you would pick them.

Players are to be discussed and dismissed within the thread. I will periodically update players into and out of the squad list as we go.

2. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I shall start us off with a GoalKeeper.

Peter Schmeichel Wiki Article

[image=http://dreamlife.wordpress.com/files/2006/07/smechsavelarge.jpg]

I consider Schmeichs to be one of the, if not THE greatest goalkeeper of modern times.

6ft4 tall and created one of the most imposing figures you could see between the sticks.

He throws were legendary and could be launched almost the length of the pitch with near pinpoint accuracy. Manchester United set up many goals purely down to his ability to get the ball up to the wingers or attackers before the opposition midfield had even started trotting back.

The IFFHS ranked Schmeichel as the seventh best keeper of the 20th century in 2000, and in 2001 Schmeichel won a public poll held by Reuters, when the majority of the 200,000 participants voted him as the best goalkeeper ever, ahead of Lev Yashin and Gordon Banks.

He won 22 major honours during his playing career including The European Champions League and the European Championship.

Player one for consideration is Peter Schmeichel

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd argue Neville Southall was just as good a keeper as Peter Schmeichel. He didn't have the fortune to be playing in a great team like Schmeichel, and never wanted to either (like Le Tissier, the contents of Fort Knox couldn't lure him away from his love).

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Neville Southall was a good keeper but he was no way in the same class as Schmeichel.

I agree that if the Everton team he was in had been slightly better his ability as a keeper could have gained them more silverware but he never almost singlehandedly won multiple games for Everton like Schmeicel did for Man Utd.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Class and acheivement are different things. One does not necessarily equal the other. Le Tissier had class oozing out of him, he was as good a footballer as one is likely to see, but he never left Southampton.

Neville Southall played massive parts in keeping Everton in the top league for many seasons in the 1990's. He kept disaster at bay in the same way the Dane kept second place at bay for Manchester United. No, sorry, Neville Southall was every bit as good a keeper as Peter Schmeichel. If he had wanted to leave Everton he would've strolled into any team of the day, absolutely no question. Some players don't gain class by simply moving clubs, by moving to bigger clubs. Some players just have it. Southall and Schmeichel are two examples of that. Peter Schmeichel achieved more, sure, and that means he had a better career than Southall (1995 F.A Cup triumph aside! :p ), but in terms of raw materials, he was no better a goalkeeper.

6. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Unable to comment on Southall as I can't remember much of him. Schmeichel was one of the greats. Not only a great shot stopper but fantastic distribution and defence organisation as well.

7. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Time for a new player?

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Hard to argue with Schmeichel, certainly head and shoulders above the pack in the 90s. Since we've got 3 keepers, I'd nominate

Sepp Maier Keeper for the 1974 WC champs Germany and three-time European Cup champs Bayern Munich

I believe there are two others who would probably top any all-time list, but I can#t remember their names, and Englishman and a Russian, both from the 60s.

EDIT: The Russian was Lev Yashin

EDIT2: I did a little more research, the following website gives all-time rankings, although by continent. For keepers, the top 5 are (note that Scheichel is only 7th, btw):

1. Lev Yashin Soviet Union
    2. Dino Zoff Italia
    3. Gordon Banks England
    4. Ricardo Zamora España
    5. Josef Maier Deutschland

9. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Bring in any player you want as and when you want but you may only add one player per post so he can be discussed.

Yankee, official stats are great and I love seeing them but this isn't to be a statistical who's best, use them to support any arguement you want to make though.

I've never heard of Sepp Maier so I'll have to do some research.

Current goalies (of which we only need 3)

Schmeichel
    Southall
    Maier

Discuss, disect and discard crappy entries.

10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Sorry MFB, hadn't seen the one layer at a time rule.

In any event, dump Southhall, he don't belong.

11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree, he never really proved himself at a higher level.

He may have been a good goalie but his lack of appearances at the highest level counts against him here.

I'd look to chuck Gordon Banks in his place myself. That save against Pele (a save similar to one Schmeichel did against Romario) was just World class.

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Well then back to Maier:

4 Bundesliga titles with Bayern (back when it was still the dominent league in Europe)
    3 consecutive European Cup titles.
    4 World Cups: 1966 (backup), 1970, 1974 and 1978 (all as starter).
    1 World Cup title (1974), plus 3rd place in 1970.
    1972 European champion, runner-up in 1976.
    Named Bundesliga player of the year 3 times (1975, 1977, 1978), pretty remarkable for a keeper.

13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Reading his wiki report he should be in there purely from the duck hunting POV.

I couldn't believe Klinsmann chose Lehman over Kahn at the last World Cup and when you have Germany's greatest keeper on yoour staff you'd think he'd pay attention to his opinion.

Strong arguement for him to keep his place.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Actually, the Klinsmann incident is where Maier fell from grace for me: he's a Bayern man through and through, and he was never going to accept anyone but Kahn as #1. As a Bayern-hater, I fully supported the decision. Kahn's performances in the past few years have bene far too inconsistent, Klinsmann needed to open the door to replacing him, and dumping Maier was a big first step.

15. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Im sorry but i would have to agree with Everton on this, Southall was every bit as good as Schmiechel, if not better, he just did not play in a team that was pushing for honours each and every year.

Throughout the time where Man Utd were winning silverware they had a great defence in front of him so when he did make good saves they were highlighted more. Southall played in a struggling side and as pointed out almost single handedly kept Everton in the top flight, the work he did was not highlighted as much because it was more frequent and to be honest expected from him. Also the fact that he never appeared on the big stage i.e. the World Cup doesnt help the situation as many around the world never saw him.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Southall is no way in the same class as Schmeichel.

He was a good possibly great keeper but there is no way in the world he could ever be classed as world class like Schmeichel was.

17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    To me that argues for dropping Schmeichel, not adding Southhall. We're talking top 3 keepers ever. Southhall? I don't think so.

18. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    He was rated best in the world during the late eighties and early nineties, how that doesnt mean he was world class is beyond me.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Thats news to me.

If it's the case then he could go neck to neck with Schmeichel but lose out on honours. Harsh but true.

Schmeichs could lose out on his place based on another higher rated (personal opinion) keeper being dragged up for discussion anyway.

For me (and I'm no Man Utd fan) Schmeichel is a better keeper than Southall. I play in nets and try to model my playing style on the imposing bulk that Schmeichel put in front of the sticks. I look more like a rotund Southall sans tashe ATM though :(

20. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    Yeh i was a keeper to, (rather rotund meself now though) I must admit I modelled myself on Southall. I dont know about the Honours statement though, Everton were league and cup champions and they won more trophys in Europe methinks. The only thing Southall did not win at was International level.

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Schmeichel has won more honours than any other keeper in recent history.

Southall was a victim of his own desire to stay at Everton and then when he'd had enough he back a victim of no one wanting to buy him/Everton not wanting to sell him.

22. jedichef1

Aug 17, 2004
    Yeah he did become a bit of a bit part, although he did come on loan to Stoke past his best but it was still clear to see that he was world class even if he wasnt as agile as he used to be his brain made up for it and he was still better than most in our division.

23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    :_|

I findit incredible that with the largenumber of alltime great keepers out there, from Yashin and Banks inthe distant past to Buffon, kahn at all recently, that Neville Shouthall isdominating the discussion. Btw, he's #42 on the list.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I propose we move onto a new player

Current list is

Keepers

Schmeichel
    Maier
    Banks (to be discussed in more detail)

I don't really think Southall quite cuts the mustard against these "greats".

Should I add Pele as a default striker or do we need to discuss him?

Who ever wants to suggest an outfield player may do so.

Add a player any time you want as well. We need a list to disect in detail and then refine.

25. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Winger: George Best

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/George_Best.jpg/150px-George_Best.jpg]

Full Name: George Best
    Date of Birth: 22 May 1946
    Place of Birth: Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Date of Death: 25 November 2005
    Nickname: The Belfast Boy, The Fifth Beatle
    Position: Winger

From Wikipedia:

George Best (22 May 1946 ? 25 November 2005) is widely acknowledged to have been one of the greatest football players of all time, mainly remembered for his halcyon days with Manchester United FC. He played for the Northern Ireland football team, but their lack of success during the peak of Best's career meant that, regrettably, he never was able to display his unique talent on the world stage. Best had a rare combination of pace, blistering acceleration, balance, two-footedness, goalscoring prowess and the ineffable ability to run through entire defences.

He played for United as a winger between 1963 and 1974, helping them to win the Football League Championship in 1965 and 1967, and the European Cup in 1968. He was named European Footballer of the Year and Football Writers' Association Player of the Year in 1968. In speaking to Man Utd TV after Best's death in in late 2005, Sir Bobby Charlton described Best's impact on the 1960s as "sensational". Indeed, both Pelé and Diego Maradona have referred to Best as "the greatest footballer in the world". The great Pelé regarded Best equally highly. Best's brilliance is often summed up by his fans in one sentence: "Maradona Good, Pele better, George Best."

For the past 16 years I've been a regular visitor to Old Trafford every season, seeing United play around 10 matches a season on average. In this time, I've seen the likes of Cantona, Keane, Giggs, Beckham, Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo. All world class players in their own right.

I have to say, not one of them compares to the sheer genius of George Best.

His ability to beat players is like no-one I've ever seen, complemented with balance and pace he was nearly unstoppable when he went on one of his trademark runs. His vision and anticipation was also of the highest qualities, able to outfox any goalkeeper in a one-on-one situation.

Although his career at the highest level was cut short due to his off-field behaviour, this only makes his achievements all the more special.

It is a mark of his impact on the game that both Pele and Maradonna refferred to Best as the greatest footballer in the world.

Saturday marks the one year anniversary of George's death and the passing of one of the most gifted practitioners of The Beautiful Game.

Honours:

Football League Championship winners medal, 1965 & 1967
    UEFA European Cup winners medal, 1968
    European Footballer of the Year, 1968
    Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year, 1968
    Holds the record for the most goals by a Manchester United player in a single match, six against Northampton Town, FA Cup fifth round on February 8, 1970. United won the match 8-2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.