main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga - PT All the Difference (AU Anakin Skywalker Decathlon for 2021 Summer Olympics)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by devilinthedetails, Jul 1, 2021.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great discussions between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Luke can make his choice and is different from his twin

2. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Probably the hardest thing Anakin will ever do is giving away his son to be trained, even if it's Obi-Wan. Of course, Obi-Wan knew exactly what he was doing as he told those stories to Luke. ;) Terrific!!

3. sxnofthesuns

sxnofthesuns Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2021
    These are absolutely beautiful! My favorite 'what-if' in Star Wars is definitely what if Anakin had simply left the Jedi to be with his family, and this was such a great insight into what might have been.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Catching up on the latest two entries – and I love how things do come full circle in the end, with Leia being interested in politics like her mother while Luke wants to be a Jedi like his father. I know that these two entries were more about Luke than Leia, but this line in particular made me chuckle:
    Soooooo Leia :p

I also really enjoyed your depiction of Luke in these, as the wide-eyed boy who jumps enthusiastically into what life/fate/the Force throw at him without considering the risk until he's told about the dangers of a lightsaber.

Lastly, Anakin's perception of the Jedi hasn't mellowed with time, has it? "Brainwashing" is a pretty loaded word, but of course we can all trust Obi-Wan to get his message across in subtle ways. Ever the negotiator, but also one who has taken stock of the mistakes he made in the past.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh wow! I fell a lot farther behind on these than I realized. Let's see if I can fix that now. :D [face_dancing] [:D]

The tone between master and apprentice here felt so in character! :p [face_laugh]

Aw! Papa!Anakin is the best Anakin, no doubts about it. [face_love]

Beautifully expressed! Obi-wan phrased this perfectly. =D=

[face_love] [face_love]!!!

This entire sentence was beautiful, but I appreciated this imagery, in particular. [face_love]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Of course Obi-Wan wins this round too. He's not the Negotiator for nothing. [face_mischief]

Aw, but would you look at that selfless love there? I was so proud of Anakin for allowing Luke to make his own decision, just like Anakin made his years ago. This was easily one of my favorite events of the bunch. =D=

Well, not exactly, but the real reason certainly is a good cautionary tale - in more ways than one. [face_plain]

Good for Obi-Wan, standing his ground and helping Anakin work through his thorny emotions, yet again - especially when Anakin's on the brink of giving up Luke for training. I agree with Chyn, brain-washing is such a loaded word and it really speaks volumes about how Anakin views the Order he left behind. Yet it speaks even louder that he trusts Obi-Wan with his son in letting Luke walk the path he turned aside. Very poignant, heavy writing - but in the best of ways! [face_love]

This has been such a great collection so far, and I can't wait to see your concluding events! =D= =D=

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Force Ghost star 5

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for reading and commenting on this latest entry in my Anakin Skywalker Decathlon!:)I'm so glad that you enjoyed the warm and sweet family moments in this fic since so much of this Decathlon as ended up being about family and family relationships. I think it must have been super difficult and torn Anakin apart inside to keep his promise about Luke being able to train as a Jedi if he decided that he wanted to do that, but I definitely think Anakin made the right decision. And I do think that Obi-Wan will look after Luke and train him well. One of my favorite characteristics of OT Luke Skywalker is how eager he is to go on adventures and see the galaxy, so I wanted to preserve that trait and make it shine in my AU version of a young Luke Skywalker, and I'm so happy that trait resonated with you here. Obi-Wan and Anakin did have their thorny words, as you say, but in the end they could find some resolution by listening to each other's point of view, which shows the strength of their friendship and ultimate respect for each other despite any arguments they might have.

@earlybird-obi-wan Thank you so much for commenting:), and I'm so glad that you found the conversations between Anakin and Obi-Wan great since they drove so much of the plot and conflict in this last piece. I really wanted to showcase how Luke could make a difference choice than his twin and how Anakin would be willing to keep his promise of honoring that choice.

@JediMaster_Jen Thank you so much for reading and commenting!:)I agree with you that I imagine it would be the hardest thing that Anakin would ever have to do, giving up his son to be trained as a Jedi because that is what Luke wants to do, even if it is Obi-Wan being entrusted with Luke's training. It is definitely very heart-breaking for him. And I think you are absolutely right that our clever and sneaky Obi-Wan knew exactly what he was doing when he shared all those stories of Anakin's exploits with an impressionable young Luke.

@sxnofthesuns Thank you so much for reading and commenting on this AU!:)I am like you in that I have a real soft spot for AU's where Anakin leaves the Jedi to be with his family or where he doesn't fall to the Dark Side at all, so it makes me super pleased to hear how much you enjoyed these what-if's and how you felt they provided great insight into what might have been. I hope you'll enjoy the next installment in the series just as much!

@Chyntuck Thank you so much for reading and commenting!:)I couldn't resist having some things come full circle and stay the same in the end despite the AU such as Luke still wanting to train as a Jedi like his father before him and Leia still developing a strong interest in politics that reflects her mother's legacy. Luke did end up stealing more of the spotlight than Leia but I am so glad that you enjoyed that sentence where Leia was allowed to shine and show her skepticism of Obi-Wan's wild stories of her father's heroism. I really wanted to depict that wide-eyed enthusiasm and innocence that Luke has in early ANH here and I am so happy that came across so well to you as a reader. And I think sadly that Anakin's perception of the Jedi still hasn't mellowed. Brainwashing is a very harsh and judgmental word, which is why I think it upsets Obi-Wan so much, but at the same time Obi-Wan is very much able to get his message across in other ways and to spark Anakin's interest in becoming a Jedi. Obi-Wan does have that sneaky side but also is willing to do some self-reflection and admit that he could have been more patient and gentler in training Anakin at times and to become determined to train Luke with that extra knowledge he has gained. He is wise Obi-Wan Kenobi, after all, and part of wisdom comes from learning through past mistakes.

@Mira_Jade Thank you so much for reading and commenting!:) I'm so glad that you felt the tone between Master and apprentice felt just right there. I definitely got a chuckle and smirk out of writing that interaction between Obi-Wan and Anakin there. [face_laugh]

I absolutely agree with you that Papa Anakin is the best Anakin because Papa Anakin has such a great opportunity to be selfless and nourishing with his children.

You highlighted one of my favorite lines when Obi-Wan tells Anakin that the Jedi don't have a monopoly on the Force, that the Force created Anakin, and that the Force will be with him always. It just seemed so wise and eloquent and like something Obi-Wan would say to Anakin because he believes in Anakin and Anakin's connection with the Force that much.

And I so wanted to give Anakin and Obi-Wan that moment where Obi-Wan tells Anakin to call him by his first name and really show how they are friends and equals now. So I am so happy that line stood out to you.

Oh, thank you. I did love that imagery of the oceans of Mon Cala, so it makes me so proud that you loved it as well!

And I think our cunning Obi-Wan has a tendency of winning a lot of rounds[face_laugh]

Yes, I think raising a family has been good for Anakin in terms of developing his capacity for selfless love, and I believe it was a huge part of his character journey when he was willing to surrender Luke to train as a Jedi under Obi-Wan. And I really wanted to emphasize how Anakin was willing to let Luke make his own choice same as he did so many years ago (although his choice was to leave the Jedi). I think that aspect of choice is very important to him so I wanted to show him honoring Luke's choice even if Luke's choice brought him pain. That is sort of the embodiment of his selfless, fatherly love.

Yeah, the real reason Anakin lost his hand is definitely a good cautionary tale. Though maybe not appropriate for children...

I very much wanted to show Obi-Wan standing his ground with Anakin and pushing back against Anakin's use of the word "brainwashing" since it is definitely a very harsh and loaded word. And I like to picture Obi-Wan continuing to help Anakin work through his tangled emotions even after Anakin has left the Jedi Order. I also think you are absolutely right that it speaks volumes that Anakin is willing to let Obi-Wan train Luke. I think it really shows the depth of his trust and respect for Obi-Wan. He may have left the Jedi path, but he is willing to let Obi-Wan guide Luke down that path if that is a path Luke wants to tread. And that both warms and breaks my heart. This story has definitely given me so many contradictory emotions, and I'm so happy to hear that you found it poignant and heavy writing in the best way.

I hope you'll enjoy this next entry just as much![:D]

Title: Drifting Bubbles

Genre: Poetry; General; Family; Fluff.

Characters: Anakin Skywalker; Luke Skywalker; Leia Skywalker; Padme Amidala; Ruwee Naberrie; Jobal Naberrie; Sola Naberrie.

Event: Water Polo Poetry

Summary: Anakin watches Luke and Leia blow bubbles in their grandfather's garden.

Drifting Bubbles (Water Polo Poetry)

Anakin’s twin children racing
    each other through the tangles
    and maze of the green shrubs
    in their grandfather’s garden.

Blowing bubbles that float
    like starlit dreams
    over the pink and purple
    flowers in summer prime.

Laughter and teasing
    echoing to the moon.
    Padme recalling how she
    and Sola used to chase

One another in circles
    around the garden
    and blow bubbles
    to the moon and stars.

Ruwee smiling at the memory,
    the sadness in his gaze
    not dimming the bright
    joy of his uplifting mouth.

Jobal sighing like a breeze
    in perfectly-pruned bushes,
    a noise of nostalgia,
    remarking how children grow so fast.

Faster than plants.
    His own Luke and Leia
    still running through the night
    with starlight shining in their eyes.

Luke’s eyes are Naboo lake blue
    beneath hair the color of Tatooine sand.
    He is a melding of desert and lake,
    marriage of his father’s and mother’s worlds.

Leia’s hair is woven into braids
    that cover her head like a crown.
    She looks beautiful as a princess,
    the proud daughter of Naboo’s queen.

Their bubbles rise in the air
    Like secrets wishes whispered to a soulmate,
    and Anakin wants time to freeze
    so this moment can last

for a hundred more years.
    He looks up and sees the stars
    shining silver in the deep, dark
    wishing well of the sky.

He wishes on those stars
    for the wisdom to treasure
    and savor like sparkling
    wine every moment

before his children grow,
    faster than flowers.
    Time flying away from him
    swifter than twin sandals

dashing and darting
    through a summer garden,
    marking every footprint
    with a drifting, memorial bubble.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha 2 Truths 1 Lie Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    I ADORED THIS IMAGE and the words you wrote are gorgeous, sweet, and heartwarming all at once! =D= [face_love]

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great poem seeing Anakin happy with his children and adoring them

9. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Wonderful poem! Lovely to see Luke and Leia having fun. :D

10. sxnofthesuns

sxnofthesuns Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2021