main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Reference All Tomorrow's Parties - in all my dreams i DROWN ooc thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Lawbreaker, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I'd love to help you out.

Mary doesn't know that you three are down in the cellar, let alone that the building even has one.

Hasn't the wrist comp got an emergency hack like a site-to-site transporter, or flash the sky on and off in Morse Code to say, "look in the cellar"?

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
  3. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    Probably not.

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Given the similarities to video game environment, even from the early days when licenced characters were used, it doesn't seem inconceivable to have jump to save point, or emergency teleport option.

My views are coloured by playing magical classes in the EverQuest MMORPG...

5. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    It is not a game, as there are no players in it. Also my theory is still that it was meant to be one. Gamescape wanted to make 2019 a game and all those licensed characters are part of their attempts to include storylines . . . so why would the original creators not have the same thought. They created a game environment and then never cracked how to access it (or were not around to do so anymore). Also possible it is TV for someone. That would explain why nobody enters. Nobody is allowed to disturb the entertainment. The only other explanation is it is either a historian tool or predictive behavior analysis. But I kinda feel it is either a game or a show for someone probably no longer playing or watching.

6. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    It is not actually influencing enough to be a game. I think Cheryl created Sidney like a player of a game, but the rest of us are not bound to any narrative really.

I would say it is someone's experimenting lab left unattended for a very long time.

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  8. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Guess he mixed up Fins characters. Had to smile as I thought for a second he had made The Crossing another simulated world. Fins character in The Crossing and The Reckoning is called Sebastian.

A guy who can stop time would come in handy right now [face_laugh]

9. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Did you not say you conceived this game heavily influenced by a TV show? I think I know which one. Westworld?

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Wasn't it worked out earlier, that this was some German novel?

Fins even worked out which one.

11. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Actually Simulacron is an American novel from there fifties made into a German TV movie called Welt am Draht by Arthouse Legend Rainer Werner Fassbender (German SciFi or RWF doing SciFi, wtf) and then the movie got remade by Roland Emmerich into the 13th Floor.

But I watch Westworld and I love it. So some elements might have sneaked in. Hosts are not that different from Simulations right?

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Good timing, I was just writing my Mary response.

I watched an episode of Elementary (the US' Sherlock Holmes thing), today, and the idea of life being a simulation, with some of us having more powers than others, came up.

Season 6. "The Visions of Norman P. Horowitz"

17/04 edit: So, two things. Andy Chang's 2029 mate is doing the shutdown procedure elsewhere, so the laptop that Elina sees, won't be able to stop anything.

Also, he is shutting down all of 2019; if someone targeted Nicole for specific deletion, that must be someone we haven't met yet.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  13. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Excellent catch, I don't like the American Sherlock, but that was quite an interesting episode ... parallels are undeniable

14. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Gotta get my hands on it ...

Thanks to Corona it looks as if I will surprise myself and actually make it by the end of April, only leaving the epilogue for May. Gonna update daily now until end of April.

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Will the schedule be more relaxed in May?

I have been having doubts that I would be able to maintain this frequency, and consoling myself that the game would be ending in just a few days, so trying to eek it out.

16. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    The game is as good as over. The epilogue will be non-mandatory and is only one update.

I appreciate the effort all of you put in to make a Finale work at this speed! Now that we are only one or two updates away from the final end I feel almost a little sorry to say farewell to this world.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If Sidney had just moved his wrist, instead of his ankle, he might have been able to pull this off.

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Finally dead, working on the big combined @Lawbreaker

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well I'm sorry but if wetting the laptop is enough to stop the shutdown, what the heck is Wong doing at Gamescape?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    It was established before that Andy was uploading the "killer-virus" himself. Because we can't see him I guess. He was aware he himself is immune to attacks from 2019. Except Andy 19 found quite a literal way to attack him by resurrecting Elina.

Made total sense to me. Sorry. Usually in his shut off Penthouse alone he would have been unstoppable.

Gamescape we could have shut down from our control box probably. We had access to Wong and his team I guess.

But actually I wanted to shoot it, just Elina spend all her bullets on the little robot.

21. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
  22. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Thanks @RachelTyrell.

A very intense finale, also I regret the game is now as good as over. Any chance we get a sequel @Lawbreaker?

23. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Well what comes next is the Epilogues.

Every character gets one, which will be a combined with me and I do two myself.

@SirakRomar, let's talk the future when we are done, shall we?

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Not sure which film in the 20th Century era of the Superman franchise had the isolated city of Argo(?), operating under Krypton rules, but these epilogues really felt like that, subroutines intended to turn people back who thought they were leaving the city.

I would be up for a Lawbreaker-run sequel, same rules as this.

Edit: Was the 'K' in U.N.K.L.E. deliberate?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  25. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    The 'k' is a reference to my favorite band ... and that was Fins idea. I wanted to write a post where everybody leaves and therefore ceases to exist. He said Christian would "Truman Show" everybody and find good reasons why everybody had to stay. Liked the idea.