main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Reference All Tomorrow's Parties - in all my dreams i DROWN ooc thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Lawbreaker, Oct 7, 2018.

1. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    That could indeed be the twist ... 2029 is the prequel to 2019, as their actions create our situation instead of the other way around.

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Fascinating idea. Would indeed be crazy, but entirely possible.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My Mary has no clue about any of this. Prior to the blanks in the gun idea that she is now embarking upon, she (and I) were starting to think that the shooter was a cop. Who else could get so close to each victim without arousing much suspicion, such as when people were slain in their homes.

I learned from watching Criminal Minds that you keep such suspicions to yourself when working with police from the same jurisdiction, which is why she hasn't voiced it yet.

Following HanSolo's example of reading from the beginning, I started this morning. Starting to think that if Lawbreaker capitalises the first letter of a random word, it might actually be relevant, and not a typo.

4. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I always think it is German or Dutch auto-correction ... got the same problem.

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, okay.

I have gotten myself into a quandary with the text, as I don't know what could be relevant, and what is probably auto-correction, or typo. I'm thinking of asking @Lawbreaker to review Sandra Preston's statement, and let me know if everything in there was what he intended, and to point out any errors that are in there.

Cos out of -

- on my first read, I dismissed or ignored 'Really Hoodie', 'Inwas', changed 'kiss her at a distance' to 'miss', as I cannot see how 'kiss' would work.

I thought 'Inwas' was a typo, but because this has been spoken verbally by an npc, I'm now not sure whether to ignore or look deeper.

Googled it, got led to a Reddit post about some wierd meme about a fat rabbit, where it indeed was someone's typo, but coincidentally found another "Holmes" in there.

Also found that "Inwas" is an actual computer term, which in a technology-based game, is mighty suspicious.
    Inwas: Interfacing With Asynchronous Serial Mode (can be defined as the joining of members of a group (such as people, instruments) in such a way that-)

Couldn't get any further because of GDPR, and cookies and ****.

Or it could be auto-correct, and I'm wasting my life. :p

Now, "Really Hoodie" is interesting. Doesn't seem to exist as an actual term, but when I tried to define it, I got led to some good quality, printed fashion hoodies, compared to the cheap crap that I know about. And in a paragraph where Sandy certainly seems to be judging the various hoodies worn by Anne, and the suspect, this does feel like an angle for my investigators to seek clarification on.

Lastly, at the Tritec demo, the guy in the red dress... I'm cool with it. Everyone else at the demo took it so much in their stride, that I'm wondering, is he supposed to be in a red dress shirt, or he's literally sweeping across the garage floor in an extravagant organza and satin concoction like something out of the King and I. There is no additional description, just "a red dress", so it's left to my imagination. :cool:
    I remember there being a lady in a red dress, in one of the Matrix films, so maybe this is a tie-in.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, just because it is fun ...

Real Hoodie auto-corrected from real Hootie? That term I know.

"Kiss her" is almost 99% "miss her"

But then there is Inwas, which looks totally like an auto-correction term ... except there is no German word called "inwas" and there is no dutch one I know. And your info you digged up ... kinda reminds me a bit of DIL a term used a lot in my storyline. So now I am totally not sure if we have not a secret message there. I would like to point out that Lawbreaker is a techie in RL, so ... Lawbreaker? Are we all wasting our time here or do you have secret messages?

I think he also referenced distributed ledger somewhere, better known as Blockchain.

7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Maybe Sandy is saying that Anne is a hottie, as in complementing her appearance!

Lawbreaker seems to set great store in his players understanding meta things. Otherwise, I probably would be brushing over most of this stuff.
    There are secret messages, I would expect.

Perhaps he should consider writing posts in Notepad, or some other simple text editor that is so basic that he won't have to worry about it auto-correcting, or formatting. I find myself doing a lot of RP / fic stuff in Notepad, especially because of my bbcode usage around coloured speech.

From the beginning, he wrote that the killer is never caught, so I probably shouldn't be looking at anything that he writes in the law enforcement arc as even remotely helpful to the investigation.

We use DILs at work, Data Interface...Log?

Thank you for the insight, Fins.

8. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I'd say with Annie being Elina and the sock used called St. Claire with Claire being SirakRomar's real name ... I'd say we can assume there is a meta-level of the narration ...

Right, Sidney is never caught. As usually that means you actually never get him OR it is not the kind of capture you can sell to the public.

9. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    I really don't wanna put more into it that necessary ... but I know people saying things like ... she is real Hoodie. Actually "he is totally suit" is pretty common among my American friends.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  10. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    So ... Hoodie was in regards to Annie indeed Hootie and seems to have been changed by auto-correction when I posted.

Otherwise I say nothing. I guess it is half the fun of a game like this for you guys to figure hints out, so I will stay silent on those ... only one final remark: Meta-plot indeed is something I play with. I will now try to keep typos to a minimum to allow a more informed guess why certain things are written the way they are.

It is nice to see how many things you actually picked up. Shows the game works also on that level. Very proud!

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I noted before, that it was a nice touch that you told me how far away my Uber was.

Reviewing how far it was, the first time Nicole mentioned it, I realised that the thing apparently had not budged. Still four minutes away!

That could be a plethora of reasons, of course. Driver is not in the car yet; traffic problems; who knows. I wouldn't be shocked however, if "two blocks away", worked out at about four minutes driving time.

12. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Update tomorrow

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Whoa... [face_hypnotized]

That is all I have to say about the latest round of updates...LOL!

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    My brain is fried! WTF!

You guys are not real!

What a fitting name for Chapter 2 then!

Need to wrap my head around this ... but it answers so many questions. I feel like I need to reread the whole game again!

15. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
  16. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    What a twist.

Oh we were close ... and I believed my character was writing to some alternate dimension!

Anyway, we are not in a game! Because that is what they need Christian for! They cannot directly interact with it. Christian shall develop an interface to allow them to do that and it will be the game to end all games. Total virtual reality.

Also we see how Andy assembles the technology for Tritec! Gameface is a puzzle-piece of Tritec. Maybe Quentin realized that. He started to wonder at least ...

Now I wonder who Sidney is? A piece of the simulation that went rogue? He can't kill Annie and Annie can't kill him? Why?

On another note ... will they switch off the simulation at some point? It sounds like they will. We got an apocalypse coming!

17. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    It was a great pleasure to have this first twist out there finally. I was looking forward to it. But it won't be the last. Promised!

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    From my end, though not a hundred percent convinced that our 2019 is a simulation...

1. If Quentin detected that his reality was not as real as thought, perhaps his "suicide" was to see if he would wake up elsewhere. Maybe someone we have not met, has awoken in 2029, and stumbled away from a dream machine.

2. I noticed Elina telling The Man that next time she should advise him about his dress. I now think he was the red dressed Robert Sanderson at the Gameface demo.

3. Sandy's guest, I'm now sure, is another visitor from the future.

Why the heck are people trying to cull the population back in 2019, and why are some interlopers not aware of each other's presence in the game / simulation?

Edit: Why would this be a simulation?

If it is a simulation that presumably cannot affect the real world, whether 2019 or 2029, there should be no reason to kill off anyone finding out about Tritec, unless there is an adjacent danger.

This whole drowning thing, feels like something happens to the real Los Angeles, like a tsunami or flood, and people or their minds were preserved, or recreated in this construct.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    How many chapters will the game actually have? I think you never me mentioned it, did you?

The drowning thing is indeed interesting. It also happens to 2029 Andy. But I guess the question why someone is killing simulated people is the key to solve the puzzle ... if we have a 2019 simulation. Then again does the killer know it is a simulation? Nobody from outside can enter the simulation. Which I assume is the case because of the Annie scene. Some simulated people seem to be in a sort of Godmode. The explanation that makes most sense is ... 2019 is a simulation in which Annie and Sidney have sort of a "deletion protection".

But ... is 2029 synchronized with 2019 or do we see why Sidney comes about? Is 2029 the prequel to 2019 so to say? Is Sidney using my technology and has entered the simulation to live out his bloodlust? Exactly what people would do probably ... living out their perversions.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Trivial question, that I doubt the book this is based on, bothered to cover.

If our 2019 is a simulation, and not populated by real beings, how did you get Sandra Preston's house to smell of anything, let alone something that had died?

21. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    That would probably be rather easy.

If all perception is simulated, you just send the perception of a smell to your simulated brain that it smells like something and that impression translates into the simulation.

Actually the same as real smell. It is only an interpretation of our brain of stuff we perceive.

In a simulation you do not even have to care what something smells like ... you just need to tell the simulated brain it is lemons. It got no data for comparison, so it will never doubt the smell of lemons.

Man, I can't wait to get into the simulation to see how close it actually is to reality.

22. RachelTyrell

Feb 15, 2009
    If they simulate the people everything is fake. The light (vision), the smell, all senses ... which gives them an awful lot of power over us.

But they seem to have limited ways to influence the simulation. Probably it breaks apart rather quickly once they mess with it.

Anyway, good idea @Sith-I-5 that we got sort of a Tsunami coming. There must be a reason why this drowning-dreams happen.

@Lawbreaker, am I right to assume this is a very loose adaption from the book? Because I got the feeling I know which book it is.

23. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Very loose adaption actually. I am more or less playing with the same concept and have heavily modernized it.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Cheers, @RachelTyrell , Fins.

There is a novel by a video game reviewer called Zero Punctuation, where a resurrected wizard (years after being killed by Barbarians), finds out that his entire existence seems to be a game environment.

That feels similar to some of this.

That more twists are promised, and that simulated beings learning about Tritec are considered a threat, concern me about accepting the currently indicated answers.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  25. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Zero Punctuation. Cool title. Never heard of that one, but sounds interesting. But it wasn't the book. Actually guesses via PM please. The book is a spoiler for obvious reasons as is the (hint!) film based on it!

Expect another twist by the end of Chapter 2.

@DarkLordoftheFins, it is three Chapters and an Epilogue. But I expect Chapter Two to be quite long. Much longer than the other two combined.