main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Reference All Tomorrow's Parties - in all my dreams i DROWN ooc thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Lawbreaker, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Zero Punctuation is the pen name for the guy who wrote it. Can't remember his real name, or the name of the book.

2. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually I got it! Won't spoil anyone, but the bottle of Glen Dronach 16 years is mine!

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  3. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    I got no clue [face_laugh]

Anyway, I wonder still if Christian is Sidney, coming to 2019 through his interface tech and starts killing people at some point.

We still have no indication if the simulation and 2029 are synced timewise.

4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't think Christian is Sidney.

There is another hooded person slinking around a party in 2029, which I think is Sidney, or Sidney's player. The post with that Spiderman-style photo.

5. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    My main suspect, too.
    Number 2 is the guy doing simulations Jack Burns.
    My guy is not exactly a killer.

6. Lawbreaker

Lawbreaker Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2018
    The bottle is on it's way. Had the feeling it would be a German cracking that riddle. Anyway, no spoilers please.

One player now might guess the next twist already.

7. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually interesting that my predecessor already was so close to enter the simulation. Maybe we got a new Sidney suspect.

8. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    24 hours update warning

9. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Having lurked the game I honestly think it is amazing these boards embraced it. I think nothing comparable has been played around here.

That being said, I look forward where this is going ...

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I have a continuation post ready to go.

For some reason, I want to include a pic of the motel suite where my characters are, and I need to upload the pic to my image site, to be able to show it. That's the only stumbling block.

11. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Whenever you are ready.

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Is there any significance to a real world-sounding actress - Ms Portman - being name dropped?

13. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Just authenticating the world, but it is THE Ms. Portman

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Interesting that she may have known something of what got the other victims, or perhaps only some of them, killed.

15. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Don't know what book it is based on ... but this is a heavy modernized retelling of "Welt am Draht" by Fassbinder. Right?

16. Lawbreaker

Aug 21, 2018
    Very elegantly done ...

Simulacron-3 von Daniel F. Galouye.

That is it. Yeah. Welt am Draht was based on it and there was an US Remake, too. The game is loosely based on the same core premise. But my plot is very different.

17. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Remember seeing the movie years ago and it was a total mindblow, like this game :D

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Certainly a game-changer.

Though I can see where any 2029 citizen who witnesses the 2019 simulation, and how real it looks, could fairly quickly wonder about their own reality, a bit like the Fridge Logic TV trope, where you see a film at the cinema / theater, get home, then something occurs to you, just as you are standing at the fridge.

A smaller group could then perhaps wonder about if there is a limit to their world, such as Christian trying to drive out of the city.

Take my characters, imports from outside LA. Did they come from other simulations, or did they get 'fired up' where they started the game, with implanted memories of how they got into situ?

I think I wondered if 2029 was also a simulation, but there is or was so much meta-stuff going on, that I probably did not dwell on it. Thing is, there was a British comedy show called Red Dwarf, where the surviving crew members aboard a starship, were, one episode, dosed with a hallucinogen that gave them the shared experience of thinking they lived in a dark, dystopian future, and their starship life had been an immersion game that they had been playing. The hints of general Shangai life being normal citizens having to cope with breather masks because of the pollution, and water tasting of metal, certainly put me in mind of the 2019 sim eventually being something that could be marketed to them to immerse themselves into.

Cos, why on Earth, would that depressing stuff be a sim?!

I always come back to the Architect - old guy in white suit - in a Matrix' sequel, telling Neo that there had been earlier Matrices, but humans had rebelled if the "reality" had been too perfect.

And, of course, this thing about people feeling like they are drowning, reminds me of where Neo wakes up after he takes a colour pill. A fluid-filled capsule stacked like a component in an electrical generator.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually the drowning thing made me realize it. I think I cracked it. People (simulations) that become aware of it being a simulation begin to have this dream. Probably the simulations reaction to sustain it's illusion. It drives them to coWhen I found out about Rick Candle, I realized why Andy in 2029 has it. He learned from Rick they are a simulation, too.

Very good question is did your girls get fired up or imported? Also I think we can rule out these simulations are run for the purpose of "enjoyment", as an L.A. with serial killers and a completely polluted Shanghai dominated by super-powerful oligarchs ... both do not exactly sound like heaven on earth. Also is there an endless chain of simulations? 2029 simulates 2019. Who simulates 2029?

And then ... Sirak is so terribly silent in this thread ... but I could not ignore the fact she seems to be in both simulations! Andy too. But Andy was in 2019 in L.A. (according to the probably fictional history how these simulations came to be ...) So is Elina/Annie key to this?

20. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Actually I knew from the start Elina was living in a simulation, so imagine my surprise when Lawbreaker revealed that 2019 is a simulation. I was quite confused.

So I guess now that we know what we are dealing with ... things will get really interesting. Simulations run by simulations. Also I think there is more to Annie and Elina than we know so far. I was told to play them as completely separate characters. But no spoilers there ...

21. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Everybody in the game is a simulation. 2019 is a simulation run by a simulation of 2029. Good knows what is the real year or who has begun this chain of simulations. That seems to suddenly be the main question of the game ... who is behind all this?

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Is everyone a simulation?

We know the environment is.

What I am having most trouble with, is if Elina knows 2029 is also a sim, why she would be bothered about another sim inhabitant being in her house and on her sofa to the extent that she was that fearful. That looked and felt like a character in the "real world", reacting to a real world threat.

Is Amira, or whatever her name is, operating under own will and power, or is she there because someone outside the game has put her there?

Maybe Elina is trying to treat 2029 as real for her own sanity, but if I was her, I'm not sure I'd be scraping together thousands of dollars in bribe money, or having faith in anyone else also stuck in the sim, to have lasting influence on her.

If Amira knows something, then "it's the will of the Gods", aka, whoever is running this sim.

I watched a Matrix sequel car chase the other day, and thinking back to it helps me marshal my thoughts: all the people who know something is up, submarine humans (Trinity, etc), Agents, white-clothed things with the braids; pretty much act with impunity; the only people who don't are those so far ignorant of the facts.

Edit: Re. Christian. Maybe he can create an all encompassing game environment without visible edges, which whomever is running things, wants to adapt to the simulated environments that they run.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  23. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    There is a difference between us and Matrix. We are not plugged, we are simulations. We exist only in the simulation and therefore we die, suffer and fail in it. We can die in the simulation. Actually she is simply afraid of what Andy will do to her if he finds out she botched things. It will be real. She cannot escape the simulation. She is part of it. Even if she represents a "real Elena", she is not real. No single character of the game is [face_laugh][face_thinking]:_|

Also the question is with this last revelation of it does even matter.

But I agree on Christian and his tech. I think what he works on is a tech for jumping between worlds. Which is a powerful thing, considering there seems to be an everygrowing number of worlds as simulations begin to simulate new simulations (as 2019 is obviously preparing to do).

But there is someone! Someone can mess with the code and make Annie and Sidney impossible to be hurt or killed. So there is a higher power, a simulator aware of both realities. Also probably it is also a simulation.

I wonder if a real world even exists! Maybe we are all left of humanity. A chain of simulations running on some sole self-repairing solar powered computer. Spooky.

24. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009
    My thought ... who knows if "not-simulated-people" even exist. What does it matter if we are simulations? We can die and we exist (according to Descartes). So someone still killed Quentin and I still wanna know who it was ... even though both Quentin and the murderer were "only" sims. What do I care for "real people"?

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    How do we know that we are not plugged? How do we know anything about ourselves?

All we know so far, is that the environment is artificial, and there are possibly some inhabitants that are artificial, like that Uber driver who said the same question twice.

The drowning thing makes more sense to me as the plugged in human existing in liquid, or a watery disaster happening in the past, than a computer reaction to someone learning the Secret.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019