main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Alphabet Squadron by Alexander Freed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 5, 2018.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm not that crazy about the color scheme (too much yellow for my taste. The blue is OK.) It won't stop me getting the book though.
    I do like the image released for the comic - very nice..

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Delta-7 and Sarge like this.
  2. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I feel like it’s probably a safe bet to say the woman on the front cover was probably part of the Tie squadron In the comic, or at least associated with it in some way.

3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I’m looking forward to this but I don’t see why they need to turn it into a Trilogy. Their are many other novel ideas I want them to explore.

4. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Making Alphabet Squadron a trilogy has no effect on our ability to explore other novel ideas.

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm glad to see

Hera

coming back.

Wouldn't mind seeing which familiar face from Canon or Legends (and getting recanonised) will be joining the newbie on this adventure?

6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Interesting. I would think it would, given that Lucasfilm's resources, vast though they may be, have limits. If resources and funds are being spent on a trilogy of books, then those resources are not available to spend on other novels. You must admit that there is a scanty amount of novels being turned out each year.

Perhaps Lucasfilm is simply being selective with which story ideas they choose to create novels for, and the resources that exist are vast enough to produce many more.

7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think what was ment by that, is if they have other story ideas they aren't going to not explore those because of a specific book. Del Rey has followed a pretty consistent schedule of about five books a year, but it is flexible. 2017 had an extra novel with the ANH 40th anniversary and 2018 had only four. So if they have a story they want to tell and see a good opportunity do so, they won't let another book stop them. Or if they see a good time in the next year or so they'll schedule the other story for then. Del Rey sometimes has books planned more than a year in advance and so can adapt a schedule. One book may mean another story is told later, but that doesn't mean their ability to explore that idea is hampered. They schedule it for a good time amd release the book then. So if they have an idea they'll work to tell that story. They may add an extra book or so one year or just schedule it for later.

8. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm not sure what you judge as "scantly" amount of novels, so I can't really speak to that, but to clarify my original statement, deciding to go ahead with a trilogy doesn't impact what other books we choose to publish (or even how many). It didn't with the Aftermath trilogy, it won't with Alphabet Squadron. And going back further, it didn't affect EU publishing when there were series longer than 3 books in progress. Take a look at all the other books that were published even while something like Fate of the Jedi was playing out.

The only impact - if any - that they have is in scheduling. But not even to the extent you might think. When we decide to do a series, we map out in advance when all the books in that series are planned to release. We usually don't publish two Star Wars books in the same month (usually. There are sometimes exceptions regarding novelizations or like ebook only stories, etc.) So - carrying the example forward - if I know that book 2 of a new trilogy is going to publish in July 2 years from now, well all that tells me regarding other books is...I can't release it in July 2 years from now. But I could release it in early May or late August. So, the impact is about...30 days, give or take. But we're never going to say, "well, we're doing this trilogy, so we can't do Book X."

I'm not going to delve into the business side of things, because those aren't details to be shared publicly, but your characterization of how IP publishing works, in general, is off. If we were discussing a traditional single author-publisher relationship, then sure. If Jane/Joe Smith author decides to write a trilogy of books, that decision would certainly impact their ability to suddenly write that awesome standalone sci-fi novel they just got an idea for, and that trilogy would likely impact their publisher's interest in that standalone novel.

9. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Remind anyone of the X-Wing series? And yet, I know I'm going to buy it because I enjoyed Freed's other Star Wars work and I like the Aftermath series.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I’m okay with it being a trilogy as long as wedge is in one of the books.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  11. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Sure.

I love Drew Struzan's covers and anything that comes close to his style. Those are my favourite SW novels covers.

But I also really liked the recent "portrait" style covers that books like Tarkin or Thrawn had.

The Alphabet Squadron cover is bit too "abstract" for me, if I make any sense here. Its too monochrome in my opinion.

Sarge and vncredleader like this.
  12. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Thank you for elaborating, and for those others who commented on the design.

vncredleader and MrDarth0 like this.
  13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    If you're taking opinions on covers, I'll add I'm a fan of the Struzan-style art as well, but I liked the simple design for the Aftermath trilogy. My favorite cover so far is for Leia, Princess of Alderaan.

Basically I think a cover could be a good opportunity to show off new tech/characters being introduced in the story to help readers visualize what they are reading. Alphabet Squadron's cover is okay in that regard but I do think the color scheme is a bit painful on the eyes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    MrDarth0 likes this.
  14. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I would just like to chime in and say that I have absolutely no problem with the cover and I’m sure a lot of other people don’t either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Me neither. I love the cover. It's probably one of my favorite so far.

16. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like bright colors, so the cover works really well for me.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  17. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Thanks all. (and yeah, there's no wrong answer. Covers are crazy subjective, so how it feels to you is right.)

Also for those curious, there's a new synopsis posted for Alphabet Squadron. Should help contextualize the timing for book one and Hera's involvement.

"On the verge of victory in a brutal war, five New Republic pilots transform from hunted to hunters in this epic STAR WARS adventure. Set after Return of the Jedi, Alphabet Squadron follows a unique team, each flying a different class of starfighter as they struggle to end their war once and for all.

The Emperor is dead. His final weapon has been destroyed. The Imperial Army is in disarray. In the aftermath, Yrica Quell is just one of thousands of defectors from her former cause living in a deserters’ shantytown—until she is selected to join Alphabet Squadron.

Cobbled together from an eclectic assortment of pilots and starfighters, the five members of Alphabet are tasked by New Republic general Hera Syndulla herself. Like Yrica, each is a talented pilot struggling to find their place in a changing galaxy. Their mission: to track down and destroy the mysterious Shadow Wing, a lethal force of TIE fighters exacting bloody, reckless vengeance in the twilight of their reign.

The newly formed unit embodies the heart and soul of the Rebellion: ragtag, resourceful, scrappy, and emboldened by their most audacious victory in decades. But going from underdog rebels to celebrated heroes isn’t as easy as it seems, and their inner demons threaten them as much as their enemies among the stars. The wayward warriors of Alphabet Squad will have to learn to fly together if they want to protect the new era of peace they’ve fought so hard to achieve."

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmmm! Reminds me of that ex-stormie retirement village in "The Perfect Weapon." We're getting a pretty good idea of what life turns into for ex-Imperials, and this is a lot earlier than the TFA-predecessor stories.

Wrinty, JediKnight75 and Outsourced like this.
  19. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Sweet. Can't wait to meet the other four members. Maybe Jacen will be popping in or at least be mentioned :)

20. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Getting Wraith Squadron vibes from this and that's a good thing in my book.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yub yub.

Revanfan1, Vthuil, KamNale and 3 others like this.
  22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Oof. I need it now. This sounds awesome. Shadow Wing? Badass. So Star Wars. Love post-ROTJ stuff. Woof.

23. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    They need to learn to trust each other eh? Nothing a good old fashioned bar fight wouldn't fix...........lol

24. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Love the cover.
    If this is NEU's Rogue Squadron, I'm hoping beyond hope for a re-canonization of Corran.

Xander Vos likes this.
  25. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh yeah, and Selonians are canon again and everything. Honestly given Holdo's line in LPOA I would not be surprised if that was kept in canon to prove a point