main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Alphabet Squadron by Alexander Freed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 5, 2018.

1. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Probably won't get actual Corran but I'm sure there'll be a Corran-esque character and that's the best we can hope for.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    To say that I'm excited for this trilogy is an understatement. Freed is a pro and the idea of us getting more background on the year between Endor and Jakku is a dream come true. If done right, this could further flesh out how the Empire fell, where the New Republic conducted campaigns, and other cool stuff like that.

--Adm. Nick

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Plus Freed has a record of using Imperial Ruling Councillors in his work, so I'm hopeful to get some cool stuff. [face_praying]

KamNale, Daneira and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Revanfan1 and Serfer like this.
  5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm very excited for this book. More than any other in recent memory. I'm especially interested in nailing down exactly when it takes place, since I am a timeline junkie.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    TFN Main has the Author Track for Celebration up:
    Alexander Freed
    Mon, Apr 15, 2019
    11:45 AM - 12:45 PM
    Star Wars University Stage

KerkKorpil likes this.
  7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    The cover of TIE Fighter #1 on Marvel and ComiXology now says "Featuring an exclusive preview of the companion novel Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron". I don't know what form the preview will take (possibly just short bios of each of the squadron's members?) but I'm hoping it's a few pages from the text. But maybe they'll save that sort of thing for SW.com, like how they've posted exclusive excerpts from Master & Apprentice and Pirate's Price. I was already planning on picking up the mini and hey, neat, whatever it is. The issue is currently scheduled for April 17.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The del Rey sampler at celebration has the first chapter in it. I just glanced at it, but looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Is that available online?

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Idk. Those samplers usually make it to ebook status eventually, so it might become available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    @Sarge and anyone else who's interested- the excerpt that appears in Tie Fighter #1 is the same one that was in the Del Rey sampler.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Interesting.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Good, good.

AusStig likes this.
  14. ForScience

ForScience Jedi Padawan

Apr 8, 2019
    I'm excited that Hera plays a role in this. She's my favorite Rebels character.

OrganicMeatbag, starfish and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Uh, shouldn't this be spoiler tagged?

16. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    No, it’s in the official summary of the book.

Cobbled together from an eclectic assortment of pilots and starfighters, the five members of Alphabet are tasked by New Republic general Hera Syndulla herself. Like Yrica, each is a talented pilot struggling to find their place in a changing galaxy. Their mission: to track down and destroy the mysterious Shadow Wing, a lethal force of TIE fighters exacting bloody, reckless vengeance in the twilight of their reign.

Korpil
    http://sequart.org/books/47

17. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Can't wait to read this.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I didn't like the title either, but then I heard it was about an A, B, U, X, and Y wing so now I like the title. I probably won't read it, but sounds good to me.

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think the story synopsis sounds quite boring, but the actual premise of the book is really interesting. Freed impressed me when I heard him talk at Celebration. I'll probably try this one out - would be my first Freed book.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Why haven't you read Twilight Company?!

21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Because I thought it looked really uninteresting - pure Rebels vs Stormtroopers for a few hundred pages, how generic and boring of a concept can you get? And it's not like they're relevant characters either.

Plus it being a tie-in to 2015's Battlefront game put me off, I really didn't like that first game in the reboot series.

Sarge and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    First off, the book has nothing to do with the game, at all. The game doesn't have a plot. Also, I wouldn't say the plot was generic, because there's never been a focus on the ground soldiers before this book. If anything, another book about starfighter pilots is the more generic one. That's been done eight million times.

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I find both plots boring and tired, if truth be told. But remember, Twilight Company came when Disney was hitting everyone over the head with OT nostalgia right around when TFA came out. That was probably the biggest factor, I was burned out on OT content at the time.

At least with Alphabet squadron though, it's a new concept - it could be cool seeing the ways in which the different ship types work together.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Radical idea, try Alphabet Squadron, if you like it then try Twilight Company as you'll know how you find Freed as an author.

Revanfan1 and Outsourced like this.
  25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would read 8 million books about starfighter pilots :p

Though I’m such a slow reader, probably would take me multiple lifetimes.