main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Alphabet Squadron by Alexander Freed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 5, 2018.

1. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah Wedge in Aftermath was confusing and disappointing, especially considering the characterisation of him we had in the old EU

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't get why people say this, TBH. I mean obviously it's impossible for him to be as nearly as fleshed out as EU Wedge, and I can get vncredleader's beef with his Rebels introduction, but I dunno what's so jarring about Wedge in the Aftermath trilogy.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The pinnacle of background graveyard kitbashing design merged with people who somehow think a single nacelle design is in anyway a good idea.

vncredleader and Sarge like this.
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I was nervous Wedge was going to die in the Aftermath books.

But I thought Wendig did a good job with Wedge.

5. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    While I'm sure this book will be a good read, the title and squadron designation sure is clunky. I used to dream up stories of a "rainbow" squadron that had a flight each of X, Y, A and B-Wings. This makes a lot more sense then having one of each IMO. The pilots would have likely just been reassigned, and why is the U-Wing in there, it would be more of a liability in space combat I would assume. Anyways I'm sure it will be enjoyable, if not totally believable.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Good Lord, folks. Let's maybe, IDK, wait until the book is released before we criticize it and make assumptions? [face_dunno]

Also- since when does a freaking title matter? I think that Shadows of Mindor was a silly title, but the book was amazing and incredibly well written.

I swear, there are days where Lit drives me to drink. Fortunately, I already drink, but still... o_O

--Adm. Nick

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

8. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    I'll first say that this is not intended as a rude or snippy comment. If everyone came on here to confirm that they too were looking forward to reading this book, things would be pretty dull. I don't see the harm in debating the merits of the title or concept (based on the information that has been released), it is a discussion board after all.

Sarge and Palp_Faction like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Remember how everyone thought Dinner and Silly Squadron was a good joke name?

This is another joke name. It’s just in a title. SW doesn’t have to be so SRS.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If everyone came here to say how happy they were, I’d be driven to drink, for the End of Times would cometh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I don't like the title. For me, the premise of the hunted becoming the hunters is the selling point. The fact that the squadron is made up of ships that look like letters of the alphabet does nothing for me and is a gimmick. Call it Vengence Squadron or something cool. Anything but Alphabet Squadron! Market research blah blah blah. A book has no soul if it caters to market forces. Where's the passion?

JABoomer likes this.
  12. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    "Call it Vengence Squadron or something cool"? You are literally the "market forces" you're complaining about, trying to get the book to cater to you.

13. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I for one look forward to eight more months of debating the title of this book and nothing else.

14. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    "Where's the passion?"

That this book exists, is real, and will be published into the world is the passion.

15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I thought book publishing was a soulless job devoid of passion. Was I mistaken?

[​IMG]

16. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So with them hunting Imperials post Jakku......the return of Nash anyone?

Yeah honestly while I have misgivings about his role in Aftermath at points, there is nothing particularly wrong with how he is written. Heck even Rebels, much as I dislike the former Imps thing, still had a decent voice for him.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  17. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    As I said, it was mainly in the context of comparing him to EU Wedge. In Aftermath he came across as quite simple-minded, incompetent and childish, to me.

Xander Vos likes this.
  18. Palp_Faction

Feb 3, 2002
    No. Just suggesting that the title should actually reflect the awesome story in the book. The synopsis sounds amazing 10/10. The title 0/10. IMHO.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    They all fly different "letter" ships.

Hence why it's named "Alphabet Squadron".

Even if you don't like the name, it's definitely more original and eye catching than "Vengeance Squadron". It's one of those overused sequel words that makes everything sound generic. Same as Origin, Awakening, Brotherhood, etc.

20. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    "Vengeance Squadron" sounds like some 2edgy5u '90s comic, like if early Image got the Star Wars license instead of Dark Horse.

"Alphabet Squadron" is unique and a little goofy, like... Well, everything else Star Wars.

21. Palp_Faction

Feb 3, 2002
    Each to their own I guess!

22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Vengeance squadron would have been worse. Sounds lame as.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They should have just gone full Tarantino and to hell with it - Bastard Squadron.

There could have even been a really smart line on the title in the blurb: Deemed illegitimate by the Imperials they pursue, these rebels have taken the insult of their quarry and turned it against them.

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, no one would think it was a children's book then!

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Palp_Faction

Feb 3, 2002
    I think we should have a poll to see if anyone can come up with a more appetising title than Alphabet Squadron.