main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Finally figured out how to get the Cape-achievement.
    That was one long ride through the mountains, now if I could just learn how to kick a guard when flying....

:p

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It's a bit tricky, but doable. All you have to do is to make a beeline towards one of the arrow shooting guards right near the beginning of that mission, and when you're close enough hit the B button (I think, I can't remember now which would be the one melle button available to you in that mission). Anyways, if the kick was good, the guard should stumble and, bleep-bloop, Achievement Unlocked.

3. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Debating if I want to get this at Midnight. I don't get off 'till 10 tonight anyway so I may just drop by after I get changed. That'd save me from doing it tomorrow morning.

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    RL and lack of $$ will have to make me wait a bit more to get this one. :(

Strange though that there aren't any reviews posted today. I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one.

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    It was the same for AC2. No reviews until the day after launch, IIRC. I don't get why this is.

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Picked it up this morning... played for two hours. It's... a little slow at first, lots of story to tell I guess. The combat IS better, if a little tricky getting used to the changes. First hit kills are sweet, stringing kills together is pretty cool as well. Riding the horse inside the city? Not loving that yet. I like the quick transit tunnels, a most welcome addition in such a HUGE city. Roma is MASSive, folks... and I mean BIG.

All in all, I'm hooked already.
    2 Borgia towers down, 13 more to go....
    Can't wait till the bank builds enough to buy the crossbow.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Why would you need a crossbow if you've got a gun?

8. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Solid 8.0 from IGN.

I picked my game up last night but elected not to play it until I finish off Black Ops.

9. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    How's the multiplayer? That's about the only thing that interests me about this one.

10. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Haven't tried it for myself but I've read nothing but good things.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Easier, faster and more accurate.;) Though I am still running around with leo's first version of a gun....

From the looks of it, I'd say pretty kriffing uh-mazing. But I won't know for sure till I finish the entire game. Plus, the peeps I'll play this with online are still locked up in Black Ops... so I've got time to solve the single-play. Off I go to burndown towers. Till the morrow, fellas....

12. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    That's me. You on 360?

13. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I just played it for 2 hrs and had a blast. It's much better than I was expecting. Leveling up and earning new powers and customization add's to it as well. I am on X360.

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    how long is the campaign?

EDIT:

Should I play the AC2 DLC before playing this? Is the DLC worth getting?

15. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah it looks real interesting and actually rewards subtlety, I really crave a new online experience that doesn't involve twitchy combat. The only thing I'm worried about is how long the community will last, and what sort of support it'll get.

16. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    If it's anything like the Splinter Cell MP from a few years ago (spies vs mercs with AI involved) it'll be a huge hit. Eveeyone loved that multiplayer.

17. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    I'm willing to give the game a chance. Afterall, if you get right down to it, Jedi Academy was pretty much an expansion to Outcast and I still enjoyed it. From some of the trailers it almost looks like GTA, since I remember Ezio using Leonardo's tank prototype and numerous other whimsical inventions. One aspect I am looking forward to is the combat system; it is supposed to focus more now on quick comboes rather than waiting to counter, which was one aspect I did not always enjoy in the first two games.

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
  19. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    1) This isn't an expansion. It's a continuation; the term "expansion" holds some stigma to it that makes people think it's just an add-on.

2) I really don't see how a comparison can be drawn to GTA...

So, what now? Is that just a set up to Brotherhood, a teaser to a new game, or an animated movie? I'm a bit lost...

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I read that review and am somewhat disheartened it only got an 8.0 from the reviewer. Or worse, to read words like "too easy", "unoriginal" and "difficult to recommend" in relation to the game, despite some improvements and additions made. Still, a guy on XBL recommended it, so I dunno. I'll probably wait a few more days to pick this one up, if only to tackle the story. In all honesty I couldn't give a toss about multiplayer in an AC game. If I want multiplayer madeness I'd pickup something else, if at all.

21. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I'll trust my fellow gamer over a paid reviewer any day. Especially if it's someone I game with often.

I just finished Black Ops so I plan to get into this soon. As for the MP component, I am excited. As Zac said, I'd like something that isn't based on twitchy knee-jerk gameplay and is more centered around being stealthy and thoughtful. In the articles I read it even said "For those who wish to play reckless, they'll be rewarded 100 or so points for kills, whereas someone who takes time to stalk their target and take them out in a stealthy-manner will earn 700-800 points."

You'll always have those morons running around, but for those who want a nice slow down, the MP should be a lot of fun. I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get into it some.

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Assassin's Creed Ascendance is Brotherhood's version of Assassin's Creed Lineage (ie. the prologue to the game itself). However, whereas Lineage was live-action and free, Ascendance is animated and needs to be downloaded for $2 on Live (and maybe PSN, I don't know).

I was wondering if anyone's seen it yet...

Also, Gamespot's review of the game is in and they've given it 8.5/10. The gamers have given it 9.2/10. Gamespot says that the game is long with plenty to do. However, the game's story was also apparently disappointing (save for some apparently exciting Desmond sequences) and there seemed to be no point to recruiting people to your cause. The reviewer said that you don't even start recruiting until several hours into the game and then it looks like you're building up an army for something epic. But ultimately, nothing epic ever happens.

23. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    looking forward to playing as desmond some more. After the awesome tease we got at the end of the second game, I'd like to see him play a bigger role

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Me and Billy Gates had a dustup, so I gave my flashed 360 and all the games away for a hundred bucks. Now, I'm all about Kevin Butler's epic gaming network....:p

Anybody else link their account to the UPlay?
    The FREE online walkthrough is pretty sweet, and cost effective.
    ;)

Copernicus mission meltdown.
    The third leg of the timed run across the map is absolutely KILLING me.
    Also, when u chuck a body over the side of a ship, the dark corpse floats for a bit just beneath the surface before sinking into oblivion. And when you get wet, you actually drip a fair amount of water. Gotta luv all the attention to the little detailz.

Oh, armored horses ARE super slow, so beware if you decide to hijack one from an officer.
    Even on foot, THEY will outrun you.

25. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Oh, I see.

Speaking of horses, after the hours upon hours I've put into Red Dead Redemption, the horses in this game are awful. I guess I'm just used to the realism that Red Dead exuded and this game just doesn't have. Not that it's Ubi's fault, before Rockstar's wild west odyssey raised the bar I enjoyed AC's horses just fine.

After spending some time with the game I noticed something that's a bit off putting--Desmond's voice. I know the voice actor is Nolan North and he sounds just fine, but he's a lot more boastful and even arrogant at moments while playing as him. In the earlier games he always seemed kind of timid and just kind of "Holy crap get me out of here," about the whole thing. Maybe this is the natural progression of his character?

The game itself is nice. Really fun. I'm loving the VR Training stuff because, well, I like that kind of stuff and they're really helpful to grasping combat ( and they're actually pretty challenging). The new "free-flow" aspect of the combat is great. Makes the player feel like s/he is really a deadly assassin. Much in the way that SC: Conviction made you feel like a hardened, lethal, salty old veteran agent, this makes you feel like a lethal assassin. I used the term "free-flow" because it reminds me a lot of the combat in Batman: Arkham Asylum, though admittedly, not as smooth. Here, while preforming an assassination, or even a "quick kill", you can choose your next victim while in mid-animation. Doing this will allow you to "sneak attack" that person and take them off guard, killing them instantly. You have to be aware of your surroundings and be ready to counter though; you're vulnerable just before and just after animations and guards can be sneaky. You can chain up kills, doing this over and over again. My best, so far, is 15, I believe.

It's a great addition to the game, though.

As for MP, I've hardly scratched the surface, doing only the "training" mission so far. However, the mode shows promise.