main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The only real difficulty that I've had is when I took down one of the 5-star Borgia towers. To get 100% sync, u can't take any damage and I got whacked once by the second to last douchebag. Grr...

Other than that, I'm having a ball.

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Just got done playing a couple games of "Wanted" in Rome. Have to say...outstanding.

I really like the way it's set up and how it's pretty much anyone's game (no matter your level) and you really have to be on your feet and keep your eyes open. There's clones of each character model so you have to pay close attention to try and find the one that "doesn't" belong. Sounds easy but it's actually challenging. On top of that, you have pursuers in the game, so while you're looking for another player, another player is looking for you; the higher your rank in game (1st, 2nd, 3rd) the more pursuers you have.

Great.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Just got the game today. Played the campaign for a few hours. Very addictive. I'm glad I bought it. Might try the multiplayer tonight.

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So multiplayer is awesome. If anyone wants to play coop or otherwise, my Live tag is FARAZG

5. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Agreed. I'll add you, man.

I've had nothing but fantastic experiences so far, though I've only played "Wanted". I like how they limit the character models per round. Also, I've gotten a couple achievements that, when I saw, I never thought I'd get. Like the "come ahead and win within 10 seconds of the round ending". Complete chance, I was watching the timer tick down and my target ran around the corner. I quickly tapped X and I slit his throat, which put me in the lead. The clock ticked to 0 about 2 seconds later. Fantastic.

The game definitely doesn't have a "frantic, knee-jerk" gameplay to it, but you do have to be quick on your feet; evading and stunning incoming enemies is important (and garners huge points) and knowing when to use items, like a smoke bomb, comes in very handy.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    It took me a while to figure out how to stun a pursuer, and even now I'm still kind of shaky on it. But when you manage to pull it off, it's pretty sweet.

One of my targets evaded me, stunned me, and then wrist-bladed me in the throat :(

Wanted mode is fun but I was getting my butt kicked until I began figuring things out. Once that happened, I quickly climbed the ranks and moved on to Team Manhunt. Freaking awesome.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Instead of following the [!]-parts of the story, I renovated the city as fast as I could make/find money. The Romulus missions are cool, just a different take on finding Altair's armor... two more and I'm golden. Perhaps if I had gone in order, I wouldn't have died soo many times trying to do stuff that wasn't unlocked yet... the rain of arrows is pretty kriffing sweet. My FAV act is yanking an officer off of his horse... I doubt that will ever get old for me. This game is the biggest sandbox I've ever seen. Awesome.

8. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Stunning for me is hit and miss and that is honestly the most frustrating part of the entire online game. I spot my pursuer (or just recognize who they are; after some time you can really start to notice the difference between AI and human players) and tap B, my character goes in for the stun, but it's blocked and I get assassinated. Yeek. Talk about frustrating. Though I have gotten into the habit of luring my pursuer in and dropping a smoke bomb; this stuns them for a second and allows me to do a full stun on them before they can assassinate me. I've even managed to dodge a few assassinations, though admittedly I have no idea how.

I'm still in Wanted mode. I finish first or second most of the time (mostly by "silent" kills, since most people run around). I had 3 kills and 9 deaths and more points than anyone. Should tell you something about the difference a silent kills makes. I'm sure I'll venture into other game modes soon (just unlocked advanced Wanted?), especially since leveling up is so addicting.

As a side note I almost pulled off the achievement for 750 pts for one kill, coming so close with 700 points; if only I had come from above. :(

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Okay, my inability to Stun is very frustrating. I'm pressing B, holding B, whatever, and nothing happens. I just die. All the time.

I think I see you online...lemme know if you want to do a game together. I've got a mic too

EDIT:

how did you get smoke bombs? Do you have to be a certain level? I'm lvl 8

10. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Yeah, you get them as you level. Not sure what level you get them at. If you look on the MP menu, there's an option where you can check out what you unlock with each level. I'm pretty close to throwing knives, which is exciting. When I get into an MP game I'll see if you'd like to join; right now I'm kind of sucked into the single player. Which is surprising, since I had no desire to play it after playing MP for such a stretch. :p

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I started playing the single player campaign and was immediately loving it. But once I tried multiplayer, I got hooked!. Now I can barely stop. I want to get back to the single player campaign, but multiplayer is so damn addictive!

Oh, and I just recently figured out how to customize your multiplayer profile. So far I've gotten the disguise, smoke bombs, and gun. And thanks for the tip on using smoke bombs to disorient pursuers! Works like a charm (if you can use it quick enough!).

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The single play is keeping me hooked... the in-game, faction-based challenges are the key to learning most of the combat tricks. As I've learned the hardway.:p I also found out that you get an entire unit of your Assassins wiped out, even if the meter says you have a 100% chance of succeeding. Just send the rookies to Moscow on a 5 star mission.

Must admit to mcluvin the variety this game offers.
    It's the Euro version of a thousand ways to die (or kill somebody, rather).

Only three towers left....

13. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    It sounds like Brotherhood is a must have title.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It does, doesn't it?

I've been re-playing AC" and damn, I'm more ruthless this time - sneaking up behind guards, gutting them, throat-slashing, eye-stabbing, impaling and brute-disarming, you name it, I'm doing it.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    All twelve of my recruits have taken the Assassin's Leap of Faith, and lemme tell you... when you give a little whistle, everybody dies. I found myself riding around, finding random guards and calling in my white-knights-of-death to do the dirty deed. I'm stumped though, I can't find the missing Romulus Mission (#5 I believe)... anybody else have this issue?

Tip for ya'll, fix all the ducts and when it's complete, go to one end and then turn around and free-run all the way back to starting point. That's the easiest way to unlock that Thieves-Guild (300 meter uninterupted free-run) requirement.

The Boat-burning mission was a ton of fun, but I wouldn't try that until you've leveled-up some. You will take massive damage if you aren't perfect with your flaming-canon shots. Also, if you get desynchronized early on, you will automatically get a 100% sync (at the end) as the restart point happens after the first gate gets opened by the guard, but you get the credit for it.

My ONLY gripe is the tracking, it's REALLY nitpicky throughout the game and there isn't anything more frustraing than starting to track a slow moving target all over again from the beginning. Especially when the desync happens 10 feet from the marker. Other than that, this game is awesome in all the ways that FU-too was not.

16. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Could it possibly be the one in the Vaticano District that you're talking about? Because that district isn't available till Sequence 08, so you can't access it till then.

By the way, for those who'd want to complete all side-quests/assignments before finishing the game, might I suggest declining memory #3 in Sequence 08. Starting from there it's one memory after the other with 'leave the animus' as the only option available and even that isn't available after you begin Sequence 09. It's mentioned in teh guide for those who have it, they just decided to put it on the opposite page instead of a NOTE in between the two memories, like they did for another mission earlier...

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I was convinced to buy this game as soon as I read the review in my Game Informer mag. I will have this game next week.

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yeah, that was the ticket. The only irritant that I have left is there is one flag I can't get to. It rests on a window overhang as a part of the sandbox wall at the far-east of the map. I've tried everything, running the water-ways, parachuting, swimming around the side... nothing. Perhaps it can only be acquired during a mission? Insane.

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm thinking that I should do all the side quests (like burning the Borgia towers, renovating Roman businesses, etc) before I continue with the main quest. Am I correct in this thinking?

I just explored the Colosseum. Got two treasures, a feather, a Borgia flag, and a glyph puzzle. I fell once but that was enough to make me extremely careful on my second go :p

20. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Personally, I think you should try to get all Borgia Towers burnt as soon as possible. Some main storylines has you going through some of the Borgia Towers area, so if you already burnt them, then it's that less to worry about. That, and you get to have more recruits to go fetch florins/items.

I haven't collected the flags in the Vaticona district yet, I'm busy trying to figure out which Rift/glyph I overlooked...

//edit: hang on far-east... that's the other side of the map. :oops: We're talking about Campagna or Antico district?

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That's exactly what I did. I re-built the city as fast as possible and by the time I was done, I only had two towers left to raize. I prefer to be able to purchase every upgrade as it becomes available/unlocked. Nothing worse than having new gear and NOt enough dough to cash in on it. But that's just me.

Hardest thing for to remember was the parachute. I died needlessly more than once because I forgot to pull the chord.

The last courtesan challenge is impossible for me. I ride the lift, grab the doctor, knock him out and still get delayed. I've tried riding a horse, back to start point, I've tried roof-running... nothing works. But then, I hate the timed 'training missions' as well, so maybe its player's block.:p

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Utterly hated the traditional depowering sequence at the start even though I knew it would happen, but I'm loving the fighting system - if you don't find it cool to kill 6 adversaries in as many seconds on a kill streak then you probably don't get the appeal of vidgames.

I've been taking out the Borgia towers - it's a wonderfully badass sequence to watch yourself jump away from a burning, exploding tower! BUT today I hit new heights - on the one I systematically whittled down the guards then chased and killed the Borgia Captain but the next was glorious! I carefully took out all the guards on the rooftops, then with enemy surveillance neutralised I got a target lock on the captain and shot him dead from a rooftop - he never saw it coming!

Game is also absolutely massive and I've not even tried the Copernicus missions yet, just exploring Rome can fill hours easily. Since I got it on the cheap with Sainsbury's flogging it for £29.99 - a hard to resist price - I think I'll be getting my money's worth on this one.

23. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
  24. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I convinced one of my gamer friends to get AC:BH and he traded in Fable 3 to do so. He loves this game, and playing multiplayer with someone you know and who has a mic makes it so much easier. For the past couple nights, we've been kicking serious butt. We've been leveling up like crazy and not once have we ever lost first place in a single match. We actually had people quitting on us in mid-game because they couldn't catch up to our scores.

...until last night. I'm now level 19 in multiplayer and my friend is level 24. So we're being paired against players level 30, 40, etc. Multiplayer has become extremely hard since they somehow get thousands of points for everything.

We didn't win a single match last night.

Also frustrating is that when you try to launch a game from a lobby with your friend, 9 times out of 10, the server separates you into different matches. We'll start in the same group lobby (in a party, btw), launch, and then somehow I'll end up in a game in Florence, whereas he'll end up in Rome. WTH.

Finding a game last night was so damn annoying. It literally took us more than 20 minutes to just end up in a game together. And ending up on the same team was an entirely new challenge!

WTH! When we were lower levels, this never happened. You could join a group session with your friend, launch a game, and end up not only in the same game--but on the same team!

Now the server keeps screwing around and either crashing or scattering us.

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Glad I let my buddy borrow the game BEFORE I got going with the MP...
    I will watch your MP-career with great interest.:p