main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I need to see more of Origins before I get it. Last AC game I played was Unity.

2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Black Flag was the last AC I played and I was so sick of the series’ formula by the time I finished it. They’re plagued by weak characterization and repetitive design! I wonder if Unity, Syndicate or Origins addressed these issues?

3. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I finally got the game set up yesterday haven't gotten far yet but

The graphics are beautiful. I especially love Alexandria, and the roman influence. Bayek hasn't really grown on me that much, I think they're drawing too much on Ezio Nostalgia which is concerning me. I'd prefer a character be defined by themselves, not who their creator, or the fans, want them to imitate.
    Though his relationship with Aya seems interesting. It really is sweet, though perhaps overly hormonal if you get my drift. They spend to much time... ahem, fawning over each other, and not enough time showing their friendship, which all good relationships are built off of. I mean, how exactly did they keep their hands off each other while around their son? Maybe just cultural differences, but It just seems somewhat inappropriate for a child to see their parents like that.
    I'm not far in the game so many this will get better.

Another piece of trouble for me is the loads and loads of characters. I can't keep track of who Bayek is personally acquainted with and how they know each other. More often than not it comes down to 'We are from the same village.' Especially since unlike some past protagonists we're dropped into his shoes as an experienced adult, we never really get a chance to get to know his friends. More often than not they come off as plot devices to move his story forward, then never to be seen again. Maybe I'm being presumptive, they could come back later for all I know. But it seems unlikely all the characters I've met will appear again, or if they do I would even recognize them. There are just to many for any individual to stick out like in past games. There is no 'Anne Bonney, Mary Reed, Hope Jenson, or Charles Lee'
    They all just blend together. By the time I get to know one we move on to another.

Unfortunately this extends to the Antagonists. I understand and sympathize with their crusade to avenge their son. But every target to date is just someone we have to kill. We don't get to know them or their motivations at all.

I confess a part of me misses the colonial era, we spent so much time building it up, it feels weird to effectively start over in a completely different setting. I am still somewhat fascinated by this history, if not the culture.

Especially the lore covering it. It was interesting how Bayek actually came to posses the first hidden blade, no it's not a retcon, it's the actual hidden blade created by Darius to assassinate Xerxes. And because it was a pre-Altair blade, it required the Assassin to chop off their ring figure to be properly used. Bayek learned that the hard way.:p
    I admit to being somewhat spoiled, especially in regards to the direction Aya's character will go by the end.

All I'm going to say now, is that this game certainly is no place for noobs to the series. Just about everything that interests me about it is how it builds off of previous lore, characters and events. Those unaware of it will certainly get the short end of the stick in my POV.

The modern story lacks much depth as well. Pretty much the only thing of interest to me there are the emails catching us up somewhat about current events in the ACverse. The new modern day protagonist hasn't left an impression on me either. But hopefully that will change by the end.

I'm probably being to critical for someone who isn't even half way through the game. It is fun, as I said the graphics are amazing, and the map is huge, the customization rocks, and there are so many unique missions to explore. Plus, no more manual horse back riding.
    Just offering a bit of constructive criticism, and some random thoughts about my last couple days of playing. Some difficulties here and there, but overall it's good I think. Easier to verbalize elements you dislike than you like I suppose.:)

4. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    origins is awesome

5. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Yes. I finished the main story a couple days ago and quite liked it. It was interesting how it connected to the greater lore.
    Not my favorite in the series, but interesting nonetheless. :)

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm getting really impatient waiting for Origins to arrive in the mail... I wanna play it!

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The temptation grew too great, so I went and bought Origins tonight. I'm installing it now, but I likely won't have a chance to play until morning. Stupid adult responsibilities.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Happy 10th anniversary of the series!

I've been a devoted AC fan since about the time Brotherhood was announced, having played the first 2 before that. BH was the first I got swept up in before its release.

Here's my current ranking list of the series:

1. III
    2. IV Black Flag
    3. Revelations
    4. II
    5. I
    6. BH
    7. Liberation
    8. Origins
    9. Unity
    10. Rogue
    11. Chronicles
    12. Syndicate

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Good list darkspine10

III is my favorite too. Though it is difficult for me to create a strong list after that. Most of the games have ups and downs, and I'm still not very sure where to place Origins.

Here is my best shot at creating one.

1. III: I like the past story, and really the whole time period. The Homestead missions are really nice, and I adore Connors character. The setting felt realistic, and it offered a nuanced view of the History surrounding the revolution. Plus the Hayathm reveal was magnificent, especially as it was the first time in the series grey was seriously shown between the Assassins and Templars. Modern day was very good too, if a little short. Only major complaint is the obscenely long credits at the end. I didn't even know they had an end until months later when I learned it on youtube.

2. Black Flag: Good story, can get a little bogged down in the middle but the end is heart wrenchingly perfect. The introduction of Jenny, and the realization that his wife died. Then there is Parting Glass, and seeing his pirate friends at the table, it is hard not to cry even after all these years. Seeing Haytham made me squee. Remarkable. The map was massive, and I never got tired of looting ships. Havana was gorgeous, and the evolution of Edwards character was well done, especially his reaction to Mary's death. Modern day was give or take, at least they had one, even if the concept of 'the player character is you' was pretty stupid.

3. Rogue: A very good bridge between AC III and IV. Shays turn was well done, and from my POV very believable. People claim the Assassins were OOC in this but I don't see it. The contradictions of their creed have existed at least since ACII where Allair's codex gives them a lampshade hanging. The thing about Rogue is this is the first game in the series these hypocrisies are placed in the forefront. They've always relied on blind obedience to their mentor as they preach freedom, and murder has always been their means of achieving peace. I can see both Altair and Ezio making most of the mistakes Achilese did, and in fact they have done similar things in their time. Just not to the scale of him, and not the exact circumstances. Eagerly working to keep the POE out of Templar hands, and killing traitors to the brotherhood have been common place since the beginning. This was just one big misunderstanding I think. I view both sides as equally wrong, and equally just. They simply can't listen to each other as their pride gets in the way. Same problem with the modern day as Black Flag. But it was hilarious how Otso Berg had us go through all that just to basically cyber bully the Assassins.

4. Origins:
    I really like how it builds on the lore, characters are decent. By the end I much preferred Bayeks character to Aya's. He just has more of an optimistic streak than her, who comes off as rather pessimistic in such a way that rubs me the wrong way. I sympathize with their motives, and like that they make mistakes along the way. But was disappointed in the lack of character development for most of the Antagonists. I love this Egyption setting. One of the best parts is the Roman and Greek influence, but not just that; but how it naturally fades into endless sands of Giza, and the muddied swamps of Memphis. Which is one of the reasons I rank it higher than the Ezio trilogy. It's so much easier to appreciate the beauty of Roman civilization when I have something to compare it too. After days of trudging through endless sands, and passing ugly mud huts, it truly feels special to reach Alexandria, or one of the other major cities. If I was forced to spend all my time there it would grow dull, as I would begin to take it for granted as I did in Rome, or Constantinople. My only real interest in Aya was my knowledge that she is Amunet. The Assassination of Ceasar was well done, adding Aya while keeping the focus on Brutus. It really feels like there is always something to do. Modern day was decent, happy to have an actual character again, but never really connected with her. Maybe that will change in the next game. Good to see William Miles again, even if he does have a different Voice Actor.

5. II: It's always good to have variety, which is something most of the games below this did not have. The variety was somewhat limited to Italian City States, which basically was a given, but it was still fun to explore. I liked watching Ezio grow over the years, from a reckless bombastic youth, to a somewhat more mature Assassin. It was interesting how his mentors were all secretly preparing him for his destiny. As a Catholic the Papal beat down makes me cringe, but then again it is Rodrigo Borgia. The Hanging of Ezio's family was tragic. Modern day was decent, even if we didn't do much aside from hide out and kill a few guards at the beginning and the end at least we had a central protagonist and characters to socialize with.

6. Revelations: This game advanced Ezio's story more than Brotherhood I feel. We finally got to meet his 'other half' so-to-speak, meaning his future wife and Desmons other ancestor, as well as see him retire from the Assassin fight. The Altair parts were a little weird, but very cool. Finally a conclusion to his story as well. I feel like this was the last time in the series a protagonist received the conclusion they deserve. All others were just left hanging by a thread which doesn't seem fair to me. I realy dislike the games entirely devoted to one city, because even if they look beautiful when I first step foot in them by the end I am numb to their beauty. Unlike some people I actually like the fort defense because it keeps me on my toes. It's not just 'Let's finish this side quest and forget about it.' they are still relevant after the fact, it feels like an actual WAR when the Templars try and retake their bases after you capture them, which was very refreshing. I was ambivalent to the Ottoman battles, and wasn't keen on how they initially appeared to set it up as a typical 'good guy bad guy' fight between them and the Byzantine which lacked the nuance I felt it should have had. It was a pleasant surprise near the end when it was revealed the brother of your ally was in fact the Templar Grand Master.

7. Brotherhood: This was the first game I played, so looking back it somewhat surprises me it is so low on my list. The BEST part of the game by far was the brotherhood mechanic which I sorely miss in the more recent games. The beginning was strong, picking up directly from II. Things seemed to slow down and get rather cluttered upon my arrival in Rome. It seems to me the game's primary purpose was to set up Ezio's rise as Mentor. But the Story was just somewhat lacking to me. Far to contained, I felt no connection to any villain besides Cesare and his family. It's just basically 'go kill this guy who does this for the Borgia's. Not to mention looking back, most of the Master Assassins from ACII don't return from this one which leads to multiple jarring cases of 'what happened to the mouse?'
    Clearing out Forts was cool, and I loved the ceremonies after your recruits achieved the Assassin Rank. But beyond that I just don't see the obsession some fans have with it.
    Biggest shock was the present day when we were forced to Kill Lucy.

8. Syndicate: A Massive improvement over Unity. The overall story was fun, and lighthearted. Perhaps a bit to close to the present day, and things had an uncomfortable undercurrent of modern politics that I would argue came off as preaching to one side of the aisle; which is what I usually go to these games to avoid. Not to mention the positions taken by the Assassins and Templars made no sense to me in relation to what they had supposedly stood for up until now but I digress. I'm not one of those people who is obsessed with female characters, nor have I ever claimed that if Ubisoft didn't have a female protagonist they were somehow 'sexist', but I sincerely believe this should have been Evie's game alone. Jacob seemed to serve primarily as the comic relief, and I was much more interested in Evie's story than his. She was an interesting character, and I like characters than set themselves apart from those who came before them. To me it seemed as Jacob existed to emulate the more reckless Edward, or passionate Ezio, just to appeal to those sections of the fan base. But I like the more logical Evie, her fascination with History and serious dedication to the cause made her different in my eye's and I liked that. She did things in a more contained way, setting up a plan instead of rushing in. It would have been fun to see more of her perspective. (And my head canon will continue to say she is an ancestor of Monima Das until Ubisoft presents a valid alternative, since as far as we know now Henry Green was Abraaz Mir's only child.). I adored the ending sequence,Galina vs, Otso Berg was awesome to see, especially with the music in the background. It felt very suspenseful.

9. AC I: I give it credit for being the original, but going back to play it after playing some of the more recent games (Or heck, even the Ezio Trilogy) is cringe inducing. First time I played I couldn't even be sure Altair was his own character, he appeared and acted so similar to Desmond. Good thing it at very least had more than one city to explore, and the reveal of The Mentors true allegiance was well done, but overall very lackluster. I just couldn't connect to it, maybe if it had been my first I would have a higher opinion of it, but it just came off as so slow. No real cut scenes inside the animus, no in depth characterization of anyone in the past. It took me more than one play through to even understand the story. The missions were tedious and repetitive, and just plain boring after a while. But as I said, I give it credit for being the original.

10: Unity: Which Unity most certainly was not. It felt as if Ubisoft focused in on certain fans complaining about III, and hit the breaks too hard. The Unique kills were cool, co-op was a bit out of place but fun, the main story left much to be desired. The plot was convoluted, I couldn't tell if they were trying to rehash I or II, and Arno just plain wasn't likeable to me. Especially at the end when he is literally preaching pessimism to the camera. Arno reading his victims memories was ridiculous, even by AC standards. Then they decided to make it very very loosely based on real history. The main draw to the franchise for me is it's history, they are usually very faithful to it, just mixing it a bit of their lore when necessary to tell their story. I usually learn as much from the games as I do history books, even surprisingly small details are correct if they can manage to fit it in to the story they need to tell. But It came off as if they weren't even trying with this one.
    And then there is the fact that the present day didn't advance the story at ALL.
    I don't mean to be a basher, I hate bashers, but as far as I'm concerned this was a low point for the series.
    I've heard of glitches but have never encountered one, and what I liked best was it's connection to Rogue. But even that felt like a missed opportunity to me.

I basically view Liberations as an extension of III, and Chronicals didn't leave much of an impact on me.

darkspine10 likes this.
  10. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    It's still going to be a while before I finish Origins, so this list may change. I've also never played II, Brotherhood and Revelations, and I never finished the first game, as it just go too repetitive. But my current order is:

1. Black Flag - Amazing. Best lead character. Best everything. One of my favourite games I've ever played.
    2. Origins - After 20 hours this easily gets second place. It may even take Black Flag's spot at the top.
    3. III - First AC game I ever played and got me completely hooked. Loved the setting.
    4. Syndicate - Pretty good. Evie is my second favourite character in the series.
    5. I - It was repetitive, but it had its moments.
    6. Liberation - Even though it's more of an expansion, it was still pretty good.
    7. Unity - I got annoyed a lot, but it had its moments.
    8. Rogue - Felt rushed and is definitely the worst in the series.

11. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm just happy to see III getting the love it deserves. Doesn't happen enough.:)

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean I like III well enough but I think it's a little crazy to rank it above BF and II.

I'm horrible at ranking, but off the cuff I'd say about:

II
    IV
    Brohood
    Revelations
    Rogue
    III
    I

And that's just which I like better; I've greatly enjoyed all the games, but I can acknowledge that the first one just isn't as good as everything that came after.

As for the others, I never finished Liberation but it was OK, and I haven't played anything after Rogue 'cause I don't have any current gen systems ('cept the Switch).

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Assassin Creed Origins is probably my favourite game since The Witcher III -- and I say that as someone who only got around to Black Flag after TW3, too.

It's a great open world action-rpg (seems more appropriate than 'action-adventure", honestly) and a wonderful shot in the arm for a franchise that really needed it.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm not sure I could deliver a strict ranking, but in rough order:

1. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    2. Assassin's Creed II
    3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    4. Assassin's Creed: Origins
    5. Assassin's Creed
    6. Assassin's Creed III
    7. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
    8. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    9. Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
    10. Assassin's Creed: Rogue
    11: Assassin's Creed: Unity

All have strengths and weaknesses, but I'd say my top three are damn near perfect, my bottom three are seriously flawed, and the rest are all varying degrees of excellent.

15. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've been absolutley loving origins so far! Picked up the gold edition to go along with my Xbox One X. The game is an absolute blast. I've always adored ancient Egypt so that might have something to do with it. I've been turned off from the AC franchise since around 3, and this was a great injection of life in the franchise. About 26ish hours in so far, and still tons left to do!

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  16. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    I have only played 5 of the games, but so far, they have all been pretty good...except the first, in my opinion, it is the worst game I have ever played, it was repetitive and the mechanics were awful. But my ranking is as follows:

1. II
    2. Brotherhood (The ending was really good)
    3. Origins
    4. Unity
    5. I

17. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Haven't played Origins yet, but my ranking:

1. Brotherhood
    2. ACII
    3. Black Flag
    4. Unity
    5. Revelations (definitely hated parts of this game, but I recall enjoying the story, and Altair's tale)
    6. Syndicate (though this may move up to a spot once I finish it--depends on how the story plays out)
    7. ACI
    8. Rogue (basically a glorified expansion to Black Flag)

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    No III?

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I knew I was forgetting something! AC3 would probably go before AC1.

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I just finished the Origins main story yesterday after around 75 hours of game time. I'll post a full review later. But man... It was an experience! I'll still finish everything in it before I move onto my next game.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There was a possible AC shoutout in The Punisher. Mild, mild spoiler-
    someone uses a hidden blade to kill a guy. Even does a few quick stabs after the initial one like one of Ezio's first assassinations.

22. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    My sister bought it a week or two ago, so I've been mooching off her copy.

I'm surprised by how much I enjoy it. I never managed to finish Unity or even start Syndicate. The setting is a breath of fresh air but that could just be because I'm more interested in older, pre-colonial history. Bayek's a compelling, likable protagonist.

I'm still getting used to the combat, got my ass handed to me more than quite a few times as I tried to figure out the new controls and timing, but the exploration has been fun and doesn't feel nearly as tedious as previous games. I guess that's because the collectibles I've come across have more useful rewards.

Can't help but speculate where the series is headed next! I hope they keep things farther in the past for a while longer, and use Origins as a place to jump forward in 300-500 year increments. It would be rad to see one set during Rome's slow fall, maybe with Attila the Hun as a villain. Apparently, he has precedence for being in the universe as the sword he used was supposedly a First Civ artifact. And as a big fan of the Viking Age, I would be a very happy camper if that was used as a setting as well.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Syndicate has a lot going on. There is an overwhelming number of side-quests and activities. Unfortunately, all of them that involve carriage chases (and there are a lot) are almost as annoying as the Batmobile sequences from Arkham Knight.

I also can't be bothered to care at all about Jacob Frye. He's annoying and smug, almost like a caricature of Edward Kenway, but with none of Edward's emotional depth.

Evie is definitely the standout character of Syndicate, but she's done an injustice by having to share screen time with her annoying brother.

24. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Haven't purchased Origins yet. Might get it on Christmas day on Amazon. They usually run some sweet deals then.

My ranking would be:

1. II- Ezio is the best
    2. Black Flag- Loved the naval aspect
    3. Brotherhood- Rome was maybe the best city they've done
    4. Syndicate- Evie was one of my favorite characters in the entire series.
    5. III- The huge area to explore outside the cities was fascinating
    6. Revelations- This one gets a really bad rap for some reason.
    7. I- I'm glad that I didn't give up on this series after the first game, which I thought was pretty dry.
    8. Unity- Stunningly bad game.

25. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    As predicted, Origins is 50% off on Amazon today. Just grabbed the PS4 version.