main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I just started playing Origins again after having not done much gaming over the past few months (not since I finally finished Breath of the Wild). I only just recently met Bayek's wife, who shaved him and sent him on a mission to find and kill the scarab (who I did eventually find and kill after he buried Bayek in the desert and left him for dead). The scorpions crawling all over him was eerie.

I had no idea that was done back then, though it doesn't surprise me.

What I don't like about Origins is the absence of information pertaining to historical events when you come upon new landmarks. I really enjoyed reading those nice touches offered by previous games.

darkspine10 likes this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    They outsourced most of the 'database' info to the Discovery tour mode, which is a bit of a shame really. Often when playing I'd stumble on a new town or landmark, curious about what it was.

The database also helped massively with remembering characters, particularly the fictional in-game only characters.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Is Discovery mode the only way to view that trivia info? If so, that certainly is a shame.

4. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Yeah, it's more in-depth than the old Database, but at the same time it was a lot handier at separating location and character info, as well being great on the fly. It's a pain to exit out of the main game, load up Discovery Tour, and then spend ages finding out if there's even an entry on the thing you're interested in. I've still only done the Alexandria tour.

The only thing you get in the regular game is target bios on the Order of Ancients screen in the menu.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Thanks. I'll give the Discovery mode a look.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Took a look at Discovery mode last night and explored the Siege of Alexandria and rise and fall of Cleopatra. Pretty impressive material. I'm glad the Ubi team threw all that in there, but I wish it was more connected with the main game. It's kind of jarring having to switch between modes to get the full context and significance of the landmarks.

If they had included the "Begin So-and-So Tour" as items on the in-game map, that would have been rather nice and efficient imo. Does Odyssey carry on the Origins Discovery mode?

Also, for Xbox owners, Assassin's Creed 1 is free this month on Xbox Live Games with Gold.

darkspine10 likes this.
  7. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Odyssey's getting a similar tour eventually, but it isn't out yet.

8. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    In the meantime, Odyssey does record visited 'Historical Locations'. On the world map, you can filter the location display to show only Historical Locations (they show up as little eye icons). Hover over and it shows a short sentence or two summary of the location. It doesn't record important figures, and its not as in-depth as Discovery Tour or AC's old Database, but its there and in the main game rather than a separate mode.

Ezio Skywalker and darkspine10 like this.
  9. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    The big question I hope to get answered is whatever happened to the rumors of Assassins creed Legion? Is it cancelled or delayed?

I know there’s a Viking one coming out next year and I tried to find out about legion and still found nothing.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I don't know about Legion. I think Ragnorak seems like a fantastic idea, though. Definitely a more unique take than Ancient Rome, which we've already seen a good deal of through Egypt in Origins.

Anyone else started the Fate of Atlantis DLC for Origins? I love when they give us whole new realms through the DLC. Very similar to the underworld DLC for Origins, but to me that's fine.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i've yet to make much of a dent in odyssey, but just a heads up - the season pass (which includes remastered AC3 and AC Liberation) is on PSN for 20 bucks. ubi always drops their game prices pretty quickly, but they tend to keep the season passes around $30, even on sale. this seemed like a really good deal, especially considering the amount of content and the two extra games.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bought all the content already :(

But I started a new game of Odyssey, and I'd say it's going better than it did the first time. Taking my time with it, so I'll be done in 2091.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah so the AC games are the only ones where I get the Gold edition with the season pass right off the bat. So I did that and this season pass was so worth it. The DLCs were great, but as you mentioned, there were also two other games included! I really need to play Liberation. Maybe once I'm actually totally done with Odyssey (e.g. when the Discovery Mode is out and I finish it). Liberation might hold me over until the next game comes out.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Just started Odyssey. Steep Xbox live sale. $14.

After watching numerous reviews, I picked Kassandra. So far, I find the game to be charming. The vistas aren't as immediately breath taking as Origins, but it's still pretty.

I still do not enjoy the new fighting mechanics. I much rather have the combat system from Unity.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Kassandra was the right choice.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Cassandra is bae.

17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I finally left the island. It seems like the Black Flag ship mechanics we're kind of shoehorned in there. But I don't necessarily mind, because it is still enjoyable cruising along in a ship. But so far the battles and boarding don't seem as epic as they were in Assassin's Creed 4.

There are a lot of reviews that are very obviously advocating Kassandra. Many are saying things along the lines of her being a breath of fresh air, etc.

Obviously this invites some pushback from the larger gamer community. and I believe that data was released that indicated that most gamers chose her male brother over her.

I've no regrets about choosing her as my character obviously. But I think that those gamers with suspicions of a concerted reviewer agenda might not be entirely incorrect, though I that guess many of them might just be ignorant sexist jerks or something.

What I find concerning about that whole situation is that the reviewers seem to have forgotten about Evie Frye. Evie was a great addition to the series and Syndicate should have revolved around her instead of splitting the game between her and her brother.

Also her being shoehorned in as a lieutenant on your ship in Odyssey is a bit strange. If any one Assassin of the series should be on your ship as a bonus character it should be Edward Kenway.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And now you start to realise how large the gameworld is....
    Well, you don't have cannons.... but later there is some stuff you can get.

vncredleader and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I like the arrow combat of the boats, and the gameplay world of ac odessy is massive, istill haven't played it since the last dlc got released was soo pissed got get past the hell demon dog. I will probaly play it soon so i can get ready for the rumored viking ragnarok assain's creed game. that will have more ship and water exploration.

Bye the way how long has been since assassin's creed animation series was announced, 3 years now right as they take 3 years to make so i wonder how long it in development and how long it until it gets a release date, hope it didn't get cancelled.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    You know it's not often that a game can hold my attention for long spans of time. Typically this kind of enticement is reserved for Telltale games and Zelda console games such as Breath of the Wild.

Over the past couple years, I ain't seen reviews in which people said that Odyssey give them hours atop hours of endless gameplay and engrossing adventure. I even watched a few gameplay videos and determined that this game would not captivate me, that I no longer have the time nor the interest for an expansive RPG type game. Plus this wasn't even Assassin's Creed anymore. It was just an ancient Greece RPG.

During all this I would go back and forth with Origins which a friend had bought me for Christmas a couple years ago. A decent game for sure but it could not hold my attention which is why it remains unfinished. Jedi Fallen Order had my attention for little bursts at a time too.

Then last month when I saw this game on sale on Xbox live for $14 I thought what the heck.

Now, I can barely peel myself away. There's so much to do, and the atmosphere is so rich, the music so lively. Kassandra is quite interesting to follow, Assassin or not.

My children were upset that I picked a female character, but I'm definitely convinced it was the right choice. My only gripe with the game is that I would have preferred seamless historical trivia woven throughout like the old Assassin's Creed games. I feel like this is a missed opportunity and constantly find myself wishing that I knew more about some of these locations that I was discovering.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Going away from the database was a big mistake. It really enriches the experience to have that context handy. It’s informative, but it’s also immersive in that it helps deepen the game world and make it feel more real. It makes the setting come alive.

I’m guessing they thought it slowed down or cluttered up the game, or that people weren’t really using it, but to me it was a key part of the games’ success in building their worlds and immersing you in that historical setting.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is Odyssey can be a very fun and undemanding game. The quests? Tend to be: go there, kill target, that's it. Works well after a day at work.

23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I think they thought they could offload that kind of extra historical info into the Discovery Tour modes, but I find that less useful since it's a whole separate experience that takes you out of the main game and doesn't give you the info when you most need it.

It also covered non-historical topics, ie. main characters within the narrative who didn't really exist in history, which was often really useful for getting to learn more about them (and for keeping track of names and who was who).

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    one thing i don't actually like about Odyssey is it reminds me of the witcher with the choice of words, and some of the voice acting in this game is downgraded then from other assassin's titles. the world is great and the characters are mostly good. but some of the dialouge is not good.

25. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    4pm uk time