main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Alton Towers Meet? (As suggested by TheDarthVader)

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Yoshee, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarthVader

TheDarthVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Just getting a second conformation:

If you would like to attend please your post name.

2. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Im more than interested in Going. I have never been to alton towers.. so Count me In

3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    As Luke would say "I'm with you too".

4. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Well I'm not one to not follow a crowd.......

5. EnemyOfTheRepublic

EnemyOfTheRepublic Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    Oh it was a non-SW site but basically they took over a hotel for the weekend, decked out the function room, laid on food and a dj and stuff..

6. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm in too.

7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Just been looking round the AT site. It seems group booking, for 10 or more, isn't that much of a saving (£21 rather than £28 each) so considering the work that would have to go into organising that (not to mention the stress of the person who has to make the booking on good faith of recieving all the money) it may be easier to just pay on the day. Unless we get a major group (which is unlikely) and can get extra benefits.

I was speaking with Raj last night and it sounds like the idea of staying over is out as the hotel is WAY over priced! It's something like £265 for the night and tickets (I'm assuming you'd have tickets for both days). It's £325 for 4 adults sharing, but the rooms contain a double bed and 2 bunk beds, so it's only really good for 3 people (£305) unless you're a couple. For 2 to share it's £285

If there's 3-4 of you sharing it's probably not a bad deal (works out £78.75-£101.66 each, and if that includes 2 day tickets worth nearly £60 then it's ok). But if there's only 1 or 2 of you in a room then it's VERY expensive. And if they only include tickets for 1 day then suddenly that value drops even more!

There are numbers to call about group bookings, which would probably work out less, but don't think we'll have the numbers.

8. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    Any local b and b's? :p

alton towers is WAAY over priced. tickets are fine with me though

9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    No idea about local B+Bs [face_worried]

Best bet is probably to use the map on the Alton Towers site to find exactly where it is (I couldn't tell you myself, I've only driven there once and justed printed the map that morning and followed the signs from the M6). Once you know that you can search for B+Bs with something like yell.co.uk, I'd imagine there will be a few about at a reasonable price.

10. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    This has actually just got me thinking. How is everyone planning on travelling there? Do buses go there? Trains?

11. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    I was thinking of getting a train. I live in Morecambe ( nort west, lancashire) so itll be quite a distance to travel and an adventure finding my way. ill have to look more into it. may get coach

12. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    For London guys, I believe there are usually special offers run by Virgn/Midland Mainline from Kings X/St Pancras for combined rail/transfer/park tickets - I think around £40. I haven't been able to check yet due to exams - but should work out pretty effective.

For non-London people, I think the Midland Mainline tickets also run from Leicester andother main stops along the route.

13. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Well I won't be at uni by that point (my room ends in June) so I'll be travelling from home. It's not that much of a drive from Warrington (about an hour and a half to two hours) so I'll be driving down.

14. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    count me in too - sounds like fun!

but..... has a 'definate' date been set yet? July 1?

I would be going by car from the Brighton area - if anyone else exists in this area, then PM me or let me know? Save the environment and save costs too! London to my home is £12.50 on the train (I think?) if it helps anyone? Likey I would have room for another 4 in the car!

Staying over - would be neat seeing as though most of us didnt get chance to chat really at Celebration Day (was I the only unlucky one not to get a ticket and get in?)

I will keep an eye on this thread then....!

15. fizzbin

fizzbin Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I can't come along unfortunately, but I've aquired (not in a game of chance) 5 vouchers for £10 off the entry fee. Valid until 31st July (except 4th-15th July).
    If anyone going from London would like to collect them to share them out, pm me.

16. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks for that Fizzbin, shame to hear you cannot come, it would be good to meet up again.

17. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Well, I was thinking of driving there; the only problem is, I don't have my own car, as I have to share my fathers -- Yeah, sucks the biggie, I know...that's changing over the summer!

So, if I'm lucky, I'm driving there. If not, I'm going to catch a train, or coach, or something.

18. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Sorry you can't make it Fizzbin, would have been great to meet up again.

How many people have PM'd you to say they're interested Vader?

19. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    Note: if you would like to change this list or be added to it please PM me. Please make suggestions for meet in this thread as well.

The following have expressed an interest in the Alton Towers meet. For those of you who expressed a preferred date, i have included this in the brackets:

Ramble_Boba (8th july)
    Happy Ninja
    Sebulba_Sloan
    jangofett9 cannot attend on the (8th July)
    Raj Vader (1 - 3 July)
    ChrisLyne
    EnemyOfTheRepublic (8th July)
    Master-FatBurt (8 July)
    orn-free-tada
    edgejedi88 (July 1)
    Tay-Mar
    Evil_Otto
    halibut
    Dickie (1 - 3 July)
    Konmeister (1 - 3 July)

PS - Like true SW "geeks" :), I would like you to try and come in costume. I will be taking my Jedi outfit.

20. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    Hi all,

It seems that the two dates are pretty evenly matched. It would be sensible to set a firm date ASAP. This will allow us to book, make travel arrangements and organize our activities.

As for myself, I am easy with the dates;

The 1 - 3 July would be good as Schools have yet to break up.

The 8 - 10 July would also be good, as I have some post exam commitments from the 28 June - 4 July (this date would allow me to attend both).

Please submit your second round votes, for the dates.

21. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Hi All

I will stick with July 1-3rd period - avoiding school times will make life easier at Alton Towers, from previous experience (however, even then it can be packed in July with school coach trips!).

Fizzbins ticket reduction vouchers could be shared so we all get a discount from the price....? (depends how many are going?) Cheers Fizzbin! They used to have discount vouchers everywhere (cereal packets, etc), but I havent seen any for ages...

Will it be for one day or are you still planning on staying over? I am happy either way.

The car share lift for anyone from the south coast is still on offer - I could do to share petrol costs really (its a 420 mile round trip for me in the car!) unless I go with someone else - please let me know either way anyone?

22. TheDarthVader

Mar 22, 2005
    It will be a weekend or two day event, as some people are traveling large distances.

23. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    I just got reminded this weekend that I have to attend my Karate federation's 25th anniversary dinner on the 2nd July, so I guess my "either" vote has now become 8-10th.

On the subject of staying over, I seriously advise that people check the alton towers site and check out the prices. If you want to make it a full weekend event rather than a one day thing then it's best to get a firm number of who wants to do both days AND stay at the hotel (remember some people will live close enough that it'll be cheaper for them to drive), and contact Alton Towers about a group booking for the hotel.

Sadly I'll probably only able to do one day as Asda will want me to work (especially with having to have the weekend before off from the karate meal). Still can't wait to see you all again!

24. EnemyOfTheRepublic

EnemyOfTheRepublic Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2005
    Don't take any notice of my vote..I've had to blow what was left of my unemployed budget securing gig tickets for a concert just announced unfortunately so can't go this time :/

25. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Ok guys and gals - heres my contribution and knowledge having been in the hotel industry in the past - £26 PER ROOM PER NIGHT (2 pax sharing) at Travelodge Stoke - 12 miles from Alton Towers.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/find_a_hotel/hotel/hotel_id/179/StokeTalke

£13 per night or £254 at Alton Towers - go figure.....

If we get dates then I would suggest booking here fast!!!!!

Its a web based deal.

I am actually flexible on dates, so count me in either way - only thought as i said before was to avoid school holidays for the week of the 8th July....I will keep watching for the concensus!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.