main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the Saga Always a Bigger Fish (A Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Multi-Chapter Mission Story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by devilinthedetails , Jun 29, 2019.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, as always, thanks so much for your kind comments! I definitely think Ariani would be a wonderful place--a sort of tropical paradise--to visit as a tourist. Writing this chapter, I couldn't help but want to go there myself to enjoy the luxurious resort and food plus the excellent music and the beautiful beach. It would be the sort of vacation spot I'd never want to leave. I do think it was good that both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had the wisdom to recognize that in the poorer districts, life was very different than it is in the glamorous tourist areas. My inspiration for that came from many of the tropical "paradises" in our world where many of the poorer residents struggle to make ends meet. One person's delightful vacation spot may unfortunately mean someone else's very difficult life, so I thought it was important to have the Jedi be aware of that unfortunate reality.

@CaraJinn, thank you so much for commenting! You're definitely right that something is lurking under the surface of the planet. In future chapters, all the corruption underneath should begin to rise to the surface as our Jedi pair begin to have a chance to really delve beneath the surface paradise. Hopefully you'll find that interesting to read. As I was writing, I couldn't help but thinking about how cheekily adorable Obi-Wan can be, so I'm not surprised you want to adopt him. ;) I'm so glad you enjoyed the meditation scene. It was really moving for me to write, so I'm so happy that it worked for you as a reader as well!

@ThisIsMe1138, thank you so much for your support! My fear with this story was that the politics might be boring to people, so I'm so happy to hear that you find this story interesting. Obi-Wan is my all-time favorite Star Wars character, so I really wanted to do him justice, and I'm super pleased that you felt I succeeded with that. I totally appreciate your comment on the second chapter, so definitely feel free to comment on any chapter you like at any time you like. That line about Jocasta Nu you quoted was one of my absolute favorites to write so I'm really pleased that you got so much enjoyment out of it. [face_dancing]I hope you'll continue to enjoy the next chapter when it comes.

@AzureAngel2, wow, that is a beautiful picture! I'm very impressed by your artistic abilities especially because mine are limited to drawing stick figures. The witty interactions between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have really been the most enjoyable parts of writing this story for me, so I'm so glad that you like them as well. :) Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are two of my favorite Jedi, so I'm really trying my best to get their characterization right in this story, and I had to give Jocasta a little chance to shine like she did in AOTC.

@TheRynJedi, thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my story! I'm with you in that I love to read good Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon stories, so I decided to try my hand at writing one of my own. I'm so glad that you're enjoying the story so far, and I hope you'll continue to appreciate the real world parallels, which I know you'll recognize based on what you told me about your home. I'll definitely have to check out your Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon mission fic sometime soon. I love Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon stories. :D

2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Everything seems deliberately fine in Ariani. But they are only seeing Ariani Grande, not the little places that count in the long run (sorry, couldn't resist!!):p

Seriously, though. Catia is not necessarily hiding something but she is definitely trying to distract them. For Obi-Wan, who is eager to kick back and enjoy the fruits of his labors (literally and figuratively), Ariani is a paradise. But they know better:

The rich live off of the profits that are produced (but not enjoyed) by the laborers. There's a reason the votes are contested. Interested to see how the unseen and unheard population will make themselves apparent!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Ariani is a nice place but what will they discover?

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @divapilot, thanks so much for commenting! :)Everything being deliberately calm in Ariani is a great way of describing it. I think the turmoil will start breaking out a bit more from beneath the surface in the next chapter, and we will begin to see the people from those little places that truly matter start to insist on making their voices truly heard.

Catia being there to distract the Jedi more than outright hiding anything is I think a wonderful way of describing the role I envisioned for her in this story. I picture her as someone who is there to try to ensure that the Jedi get one impression of Ariani by selectively showing them certain things and trying to distract them from noticing others. Of course, it's hard to truly distract Jedi, and they might very well end up noticing things Catia doesn't want them to notice.

I do understand the part of Obi-Wan that just sort of wants to kick back and enjoy the vacation aspects of the mission to Ariani, since I totally love a good tropical paradise vacation myself, but you hit the nail on the head when you point out that even while he's enjoying the fruits of his labor, he knows that there is serious inequity and unhappiness on Ariani that must be addressed.

You're right that there are definitely reasons why the votes are contested, and hopefully those begin to become more clear and addressed starting in the next chapter.

@earlybird-obi-wan, thank you so much for the comment! I agree that Ariani is definitely a nice place, and the question of what the Jedi will discover next is one I very much hope my readers are asking, so hopefully you and my other readers will enjoy reading about what the Jedi discover next in Ariani. :)

5. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Disturb the Peace

Morning in Ariani meant temperatures at human body heat, and Qui-Gon imagined that by noon when the planet’s sun was at its scorching peak, the temperature would rise to that of a feverish human. Sweat sticking the thick material of his robes to his back, Qui-Gon found himself envying the shimmersilk swaying around Catia as she approached them outside their resort to accompany them on their airspeeder ride to the meeting at the Head of State’s office.

Perhaps similar thoughts were swirling in Obi-Wan’s mind for his Padawan, sweat beading his forehead, leaned close to whisper, “We could shop for lighter clothing better suited to a tropical environment at the stores we saw yesterday.”

“A tempting suggestion.” Qui-Gon smiled slightly as he shook his head. “Unfortunately, our objective is to appear as Jedi in our distinctive robes rather than blend in the local or tourist populations.”

“The Council wouldn’t be pleased with the bill anyway.” Obi-Wan was perpetually concerned with the Council’s opinion on every conceivable issue. It was a marvel it didn’t become exhausting to him, Qui-Gon often thought. “Those stores looked as if they would charge an arm and a leg for a piece of clothing.”

Catia reached them, beaming her broad grin that never warmed her cool eyes, before Qui-Gon could reply. The three of them exchanged greetings and admired the cloudless blue sky as they boarded the airspeeder Head of State Darius had sent to convey them to the morning’s meeting.

“I hope your evening was peaceful and pleasant,” Catia commented as she, Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan sank into the soft veda seats of the airspeeder.

“We enjoyed a delicious meal at an oceanfront cafe and a walk along the beautiful beach.” Qui-Gon looked at her but also beyond her out of the viewscreen at the cityscape streaming past, alert for any signs of what might be lurking beneath the serene surface so scrupulously cultivated by Arieli’s leadership.

“Then you’ve sampled some of the many charms Ariani has to offer. We’re passing the Water World, another one of Ariani’s greatest charms.” Catia waved a palm at a gilded gate gleaming golden as the sun shining on it from above. “It spans seven city blocks and has resorts attached to the theme park, making it the largest theme park in the system. During its highest tourist season, it can attract almost fifty-three-thousand visitors a day.”

At her words, Qui-Gon could easily pain a picture in his head of thousands of children squealing in mingled terror and delight as they sped down the park’s many slides and rides tall as skytowers or begging parents to buy them sweets and fried food as they waited on long lines for such attractions.

Apparently sharing his mental image, Obi-Wan observed, “The long lines in the hot sun must be difficult to manage.”

“Our Water World has mastered the art of keeping guests comfortable in the heat,” Catia assumed them as the theme park faded from view. “They have fans constantly blowing air over visitors as they wait on line, and music blaring from speakers to entertain everyone. The crowds are always wonderfully controlled at Water World.”

In the city outside the airspeeder, Qui-Gon finally caught a glimpse of a crowd not well-controlled on Ariani. In a square filled with statues of what seemed to be previous leaders of Ariani before a classically constructed building with imposing pillars to mark it as the seat of government in Ariani, two opposing masses of protestors.

Qui-Gon could read their placards promoting their candidates and visions of Arieli, and through the metal of the airspeeder, he could hear the throng shouting contradictory demands for a re-count and insistence that migrant workers be removed from the planet to protect native jobs. The scene wasn’t violent, but it was chaotic. His keen gaze could detect uniformed security guards among the multitude. He hoped they were only present to preserve the peace, not stifle free speech.

The airspeeder landed in a patch of square not yet overtaken by the hollering hordes. Security officers provided a protective ring around the Jedi and Catia as they disembarked and strode toward the building where their meeting with Head of State Darius was scheduled to occur, the discordant shouting of the crowd competing for attention in their eardrums with every step they took.

“My apologies for the disorder you witnessed.” Catia’s voice was barely audible over the rumble of the seething masses behind them as a security guard slammed the door shut behind them, the sound echoing in the soaring atrium of the grand government building. “I know how the Jedi treasure serenity. I’m certain the atmosphere must never be so hectic in your Temple.”

“Jedi value inner serenity.” Qui-Gon fixed his eyes on her suddenly very blinking ones. “It’s this inner peace that we strive to carry with us on missions to share with other beings so we may be a calm center in any storm.”

“The Jedi are wise.” Catia gave a prim nod as if agreeing with herself. “Yet Ariani cannot rely on all its visitors to be so understanding of those who disturb the peace of this tropical paradise. That’s why all the citizens of Ariani are strongly encouraged to be discreet in expressing their political views.”

“They might be strongly encouraged to be discreet in expressing their political opinions but their rights to free speech would surely never be infringed upon, I trust?” Qui-Gon arched an eyebrow.

“Of course Arieli would never violate the free speech rights of any of our citizens.” Catia spoke too briskly to be entirely convincing before making a sweeping gesture to encompass the painted dome of the atrium above their heads and beginning a detailed account of its creation at the skilled hands of one of Arieli’s most esteemed artists.

Once Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had made appropriately awed remarks on the artist’s incredible talent, Catia steered them onto a turbolift with speakers emitting an understated Selonian etude, a musical selection Qui-Gon suspected was carefully chosen to sound tranquil and cultured. In a matter of minutes, they would be meeting Head of State Darius and the two candidates for his successor. He breathed deeply, preparing himself for all possibilities as he rooted himself in the eternal present of the Force, and felt Obi-Wan do the same beside him.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    A great bit of realism there with the lovely, inviting aspects of Arieli competing with the unrest that is boiling under the surface. :p =D= Qui-Gon's diplomatic skills are definitely in evidence. [face_love]

7. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Hmmm, do the Arieli have a obsession for order? (On the surface ;) )

8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Order on the surface and no one getting lost?

9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, as always, thank you so much for commenting! I'm so glad that you felt it was a realistic touch to have the lovely, inviting aspects of Arieli competing alongside the unrest boiling just beneath the surface. Qui-Gon definitely had to show his diplomatic skills in this chapter, and he might have to show them again in the future on this planet. Navigating the situation on Arieli could require some deft negotiation skills but I think Qui-Gon will be up to the task in the end. :)

@CaraJinn, once again, thank you so much for taking the time to comment! That's a great question, and yes, I do think the Arieli government has an obsession with order on the surface. [face_laugh] You'll probably see even more of that obsession in the next chapter.

@earlybird-obi-wan, thanks so much for commenting! Yes, order on the surface would be exactly what the Arieli government would want, but not everyone on the planet wants that, and those voices who want something else for their world are trying to be heard by the Jedi and their government. Their voices will start to be heard more as the story goes on...

10. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Kinda really wanna see Obi-Wan at the theme park now please I'd do anything.....

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @ThisIsMe1138, thank you so much for commenting! Maybe you will get to see Obi-Wan at a theme park as a reward for a mission well done. That would be fun, not that I want to give out spoilers. ;)

Forgotten Men and Women

“Head of State Darius.” Catia slipped into a curtsy as she and the Jedi entered a large, sunny conference room high in the government building. As she rose from her curtsy, she indicated the Jedi with a smiling sweep of her hand. “Please allow me to introduce the honored Jedi who have traveled to Arieli to preside over Ariani’s re-count, Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi.”

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan bowed to Arieli’s Head of State as they were introduced.

“Welcome to Arieli.” Head of State Darius seemed to emanate charisma in the same way the tropical sun over Ariani did light. Shaking first Qui-Gon and then Obi-Wan’s hand with a broad beam across his face, he continued, “We appreciate any assistance you can provide throughout Ariani’s re-count to ensure that it is conducted as peacefully and fairly as possible.”

“Jedi always do all we can to maintain peace and justice on any planet.” Qui-Gon inclined his head in acknowledgment of the Head of State’s words as he observed out of the corner of his vision Catia depart from the room.

“I’m Renza Osanna.” Renza Osanna’s smile seemed far more forced than the one Head of State Darius had offered. “I hope that the Jedi understand that many of my supporters are questioning the validity of the election count in Ariani because my campaign has heard disturbing rumors of ballots from migrant worker districts disappearing before they can be tallied and dead people voting in the election in favor of my opponent.”

“Everyone on Arieli has heard disturbing rumors of your corruption,” blustered Alcide Cesare, who was even more boorish in person than he had been in holovideo, Qui-Gon was dismayed to discover. “This demand for a re-count is just another preposterous display of your rampant corruption. You’re attempting to silence the forgotten men and women of Arieli who have already spoken overwhelmingly in this election, crying out for me to lead them to prosperity.”

“The Jedi are here to ensure that all voices are heard in Ariani and that the re-count proceeds fairly so that can happen.” Qui-Gon tried to inject a note of calm and dignity into the meeting that seemed to have been lost with Cesare’s wild outburst.

“Why doesn’t everyone be seated”—Head of State Darius gestured at a table of polished wood that shone in the sunlight streaming through the windows and probably cost more than a migrant worker made in a year—“and we’ll discuss the procedures for the re-count.”

Qui-Gon settled into a plush chair, watching as Obi-Wan claimed the seat across from him. Facing the windows, Qui-Gon noticed the mass of protestors in the square below being herded into security speeders by guards armed with electro-jabbers. He would have to address this breach of their civil rights with the Head of State before the meeting’s conclusion, he determined, forehead furrowing.

“You mentioned rumors of ballots disappearing before they could be counted?” Qui-Gon fixed an inquiring gaze on Renza Osanna. “Am I to understand that all votes in Ariani are cast by flimsi, not electronically?”

“That understanding would be correct.” Renza Osanna sipped at the iced caf that had been placed before her and every other person at the table. Given Ariani’s tropical climate, Qui-Gon could only assume that iced caf was far more popular in the city than its hot counterpart. “All votes on Arieli are cast by hand on flimsi. We believe electronic votes can more easily be sabotaged and corrupted than those cast by flimsi.”

Qui-Gon nodded, accepting without comment this demonstration of the paranoia that seemed to be so prevalent on Arieli, but Obi-Wan couldn’t refrain from remarking sarcastically, “Wonderful. That’ll require days of us squinting at ballots to spot indistinguishable marks until we’re seeing double.”

“What my Padawan means is we’ll be happy to do anything in our power to guarantee a fair re-count in Ariani since that’s what we came here to do.” Qui-Gon shot his apprentice a quelling glance, using his firmest tone to cover the fact that this had plainly not been what Obi-Wan had intended.

“The young man’s distress is palpable and understandable.” Head of State Darius flashed a silver smile swift as lightning. “We hope the Jedi won’t be doing too much of the squinting. At every voting station, we have appointed ten teams of four people—two who support each candidate—to review the ballots. Within each team, a majority of at least three people must reach a consensus on how each ballot should be counted. If such a majority decision can’t be reached, the ballot will go uncounted. Any person suspected of delaying or compromising these proceedings will be removed and arrested to be replaced by a more competent being. The Jedi will move between the voting stations, as impartial and esteemed outsiders assuring the proceedings are carried out without the taint of corruption. All beings will be expected to cooperate fully with the Jedi in the course of this re-count, and the Jedi may appeal to my office for support if they fail to receive it from anyone associated with the re-count.”

“The Jedi value your support and would never want any corruption to taint Ariani.” Qui-Gon locked eyes with Head of State Darius. “That’s why the Jedi recommend that you promptly release the protesters you’ve arrested for expressing their political views outside this building as we entered this morning.”

“You can’t imagine the protesters were jailed for exercising their free speech rights. Such an outrage would never be tolerated on Arieli.” Head of State Darius sounded scandalized as any politician ever accused of wrongdoing. “They were only transferred to their homes for their own safety before violence broke out and they started attacking one another. Everything was done for their own protection, of course.”

Qui-Gon thought that no tyranny was quite so terribly oppressive as the one inflicted for the supposed safety of its civilians.

Before he could respond, Alcide Cesare snapped, “This is outrageous! Yet another awful example of the forgotten men and women on Arieli having their rights to free speech trampled on when they dare to speak the truth to power and demand justice. The forgotten men and women of Arieli will not be heard until I’m Head of State!”

“You don’t represent the forgotten men and women of Arieli,” retorted Renza Osanna, cheeks flushed pink with her ire. “You and your supporters forget the many migrant workers of Arieli. You represent only the most bigoted beings on Ariei, and you should be ashamed of stirring such xenophobic sentiments in them.”

“Leaders exchanging insults will not help assure the peace on Arieli that I’m certain is everybody’s goal.” Qui-Gon lifted a hand to quiet the feuding politicians even as he wondered if the problem on Arieli was that there were no true leaders among the candidates for Head of State. “Head of State Darius, I’m relieved that the protestors have been returned safely to their homes.”

Though, of course, he planned to verify the truth of that, it would be an affront to the Head of State to announce that intention.

“Excellent.” Head of State Darius gave a broad beam clearly designed as a dismissal. “The speeder you arrived in will be waiting to transport you back to your quarters. I suggest you rest as much as possible before the re-count commences at dawn tomorrow.”

“I appreciate your advice.” Qui-Gon didn’t mention that he wouldn’t be following it.

With bows and farewells, the meeting drew to a close. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan allowed the two candidates for Head of State to proceed them out of the room into the hallway.

“I hate politicians,” muttered Obi-Wan, watching Alcide Cesare and Renza Osanna disappear down different turbolifts. “Have I mentioned that before?”

“Only a dozen times a mission. As your master, I must remind you that hate—even of politicians—leads to the Dark Side.” Qui-Gon found it hard to be stern when a chuckle was rising in his chest.

“Yes, Master.” Obi-Wan’s answer appeared to be mainly respectful reflex for he asked in the next breath, “Isn’t Alcide Cesare especially loathsome for a politician with how he’s stirring up mass resentment for migrant workers and the Republic?”

“I’m afraid that Alcide Cesare’s political philosophy of stirring up mass resentment for outsiders and the galactic government is not as unique as he would believe it is, Padawan.” Qui-Gon sighed, a heaviness replacing the chuckle in his chest. “Many worlds have dealt with an Alcide Cesare type figure, and many more will have to contend with one in the future.”

“Still the way he was yammering on about the forgotten men and women of Arieli when he was raised in a family so high in Arieli society he would’ve needed an oxygen tank to breathe according to the biography Master Nu gave us was very grating, wasn’t it?” Obi-Wan was still scowling at the turbolift down which Alcide Cesare had vanished.

“Alcide Cesare isn’t our concern right now.” Qui-Gon rested a steadying palm on his apprentice’s shoulder until Obi-Wan’s attention shifted to focus on him entirely. “Our concern is the forgotten men and women of Arieli that exist on both sides of the political spectrum who feel ignored by the planetary government. We must speak to their leaders and try to convince them that they have more in common with one another than they can possibly imagine. We must also listen to their concerns so we can communicate them to the planetary government that can address those concerns. That’s the best path to peace and justice on Arieli.”

“We’ll also be able to check that Head of State Darius was telling the truth when he claimed the protesters had been released since we’ll learn if their leaders are home or still imprisoned.” Obi-Wan’s eyes gleamed. “How will we know who their leaders are, though?”

“That’s what Master Nu is for, my young apprentice.” Qui-Gon guided Obi-Wan toward the turbolift bank. “We’ll have her research that for us much more ably than we could ourselves."

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    “Everyone on Arieli has heard disturbing rumors of your corruption,” blustered Alcide Cesare, who was even more boorish in person than he had been in holovideo, Qui-Gon was dismayed to discover. “This demand for a re-count is just another preposterous display of your rampant corruption. You’re attempting to silence the forgotten men and women of Arieli who have already spoken overwhelmingly in this election, crying out for me to lead them to prosperity.”

Like Obi-Wan, I am thinking uh-huh. I'm totally not buying that...
    “The Jedi are here to ensure that all voices are heard in Ariani and that the re-count proceeds fairly so that can happen.” Qui-Gon tried to inject a note of calm and dignity into the meeting that seemed to have been lost with Cesare’s wild outburst.

The voice of balance and calm. :*

“Wonderful. That’ll require days of us squinting at ballots to spot indistinguishable marks until we’re seeing double.”
    [face_laugh] Oh, yes! I adore Obi-Wan's telling it as he sees it. [face_mischief]

“You can’t imagine the protesters were jailed for exercising their free speech rights. Such an outrage would never be tolerated on Arieli.” Head of State Darius sounded scandalized as any politician ever accused of wrongdoing. “They were only transferred to their homes for their own safety before violence broke out and they started attacking one another. Everything was done for their own protection, of course.”

Qui-Gon thought that no tyranny was quite so terribly oppressive as the one inflicted for the supposed safety of its civilians.

:rolleyes:

Please. :p

“Leaders exchanging insults will not help assure the peace on Arieli that I’m certain is everybody’s goal.” Qui-Gon lifted a hand to quiet the feuding politicians even as he wondered if the problem on Arieli was that there were no true leaders among the candidates for Head of State. “Head of State Darius, I’m relieved that the protestors have been returned safely to their homes.”

Though, of course, he planned to verify the truth of that, it would be an affront to the Head of State to announce that intention.

Have I mentioned I think your Qui-Gon is BRILLIANTLY in character? ^:)^

Looking forward to the oversight of the ballot recount, which strategy overall seems sound, having a team of counters and making sure there's no overt sabotage or delay, and needing a consensus before validating. [face_thinking]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  13. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Uh-oh, where's your diplomacy, Padawan??? (But I love the sarcasm, though.)

14. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, as always, thank you so much for your kind comments! Like Obi-Wan and you, I'm definitely not buying what Cesare is selling with his rhetoric. Next chapter should provide more of a chance for the regular people in Ariani to speak for themselves and express what they actually want, which isn't what Cesare thinks they want.

Glad you enjoyed Obi-Wan calling it like he sees it. I have to admit that I chuckled over that line as I wrote it. [face_laugh]

Yeah, I'm not really believing what the government says about sending the protestors home for their own safety any more than Qui-Gon is either.

I really want to do Qui-Gon justice, so it makes me so happy that you think I've written him so in character. Hopefully you'll continue to find him in character as the story continues!

I agree that the overall strategy of the ballot re-count is sound, though, of course, some more complications have to ensue or else I won't have a plot...Hopefully you'll enjoy seeing the Jedi at work monitoring the re-count as the story progresses.

@CaraJinn, ha ha, yes, Obi-Wan had a diplomacy fail right there and gave into his sarcasm. That's one of the reasons why he's still a Padawan. When he has better control of his sarcasm and can be more diplomatic, he'll be more ready to be a Jedi Knight. Our dear Obi-Wan still has some growing up to do. [face_laugh]

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    A More Harmonious Society

As soon as he and Obi-Wan were settled in the speeder transporting them back to the resort they were staying for the duration of the mission, Qui-Gon activated his comlink and entered Jocasta Nu’s frequency. Since many Jedi relied on her research to aid them on their missions, he was prepared for the possibility of leaving a message with his request, but he was pleased when she answered briskly, “Master Nu speaking.”

“It’s Qui-Gon Jinn.” Qui-Gon identified himself and then quickly outlined his request. “Going into our meeting with the current Head of State this morning, Obi-Wan and I noticed protestors supporting both candidates for the future Head of State. We believe those protestors may have been detained by security guards briefly before being released from custody. We need the names of the leaders from each side so we can talk with them.”

“If they were detained, their names and reasons for detention will be public record, because the Arieli government believes maintaining a public record of all detentions creates a more harmonious society,” Jocasta Nu replied without a pause to remember this fact. “By sifting through the public record, it would become clear very swiftly who the leaders of each side are, since their names would keep cropping up with political agitation as the reason for their detention.”

“Nobody would be swifter at sifting through that information than you,” Qui-Gon assured her.

“It’ll take some time for me to sift through the information nevertheless.” Jocasta Nu emitted a snort that communicated her immunity to his efforts at flattery. He could hear the tapping of her datapad in the background as she closed the call with a curt: “I’ll call you back when I have the information you need.”

Qui-Gon would have thanked her but she ended the communication with a click before the words could leave his lips.

They had just returned to the privacy of their penthouse suite when Qui-Gon’s comlink buzzed with an incoming call. The second he accepted it, Jocasta Nu said without preliminary, “Alessa Piera and Lazzaro Quintino are frequently detained by security for their own safety and not contributing to the creation of a more harmonious society. They have both been fined sums of five thousand credits on multiple occasions for endangering themselves and inconveniencing security.”

“Five thousand credits.” Qui-Gon frowned as he grabbed a pad of flimsi from the suite’s desk to copy down the names of the two agitators Jocasta Nu had mentioned. “That’s double what a low wage worker would make in a month.”

“Yes.” Jocasta Nu went on, “Alessa Piera is suspected of leading the Migrant Advocacy Group, while Lazzaro Quintino is believed to lead the Workers of Ariani Party.”

Jotting down the factions these beings were thought to lead next to their names, Qui-Gon asked, “Are their addresses a matter of public record as well?”

Jocasta Nu responded in the affirmative and provided Qui-Gon with the addresses where both leaders lived when not detained by security. Qui-Gon wrote down this information on his flimsi and managed to say a swift farewell to Jocasta Nu before she hung up on him.

“I have the names of the leaders, their parties, and their addresses recorded here,” Qui-Gon told Obi-Wan, who had been watching the conversation with some curiosity. “I don’t want to alert the government to our visiting these people they see as agitators, so we can’t ask the speeder we’ve been assigned to transport us there. We must find another way to travel through the city.”

“Public transit perhaps?” Obi-Wan scooped up a colorful map of Ariani’s airbus networks that had been placed on the suite’s desk. Consulting it alongside the addresses Qui-Gon had copied down, he decided on a route. “We take the yellow line down three stops to where we can transfer to the gray line. If we take the gray line five stops, we’ll arrive near Alessa Piera’s address. When we’re done speaking with her, we can ride the gray line for a stop, then transfer to the brown line, which we’ll need to take for two stops before we arrive by Lazzaro Quintino’s address.”

“That will give us an opportunity to see more of Ariani than its tourist and government districts.” Qui-Gon nodded his approval of Obi-Wan’s suggestion. “It wouldn’t surprise me if we find the districts where the migrant workers and poorer natives of Arieli live are considerably more rundown than the ones we’ve seen so far. Those with power often neglect those without it.”

In silence, they took the turbolift down to the lobby, where they blended in with a flock of tourists chattering eagerly about all the shopping they were planning to do in downtown Ariani. In the midst of this group of excited tourists with hundreds of credits to burn, they walked down the sun-dappled pedwalk to the end of the block, where they reached a shaded airbus station complete with a whirring fan to cool them while they awaited the arrival of the airbus.

Within minutes, an airbus that gleamed almost blindingly in the tropical sunlight landed before the station. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan boarded with the stream of tourists, paying the driver for their tickets as they climbed onto the airbus. The moment they stepped onto the airbus they felt the relief of a comfortably cool temperature maintained by a well-functioning air cooling system, and when Qui-Gon slipped into an empty seat, he realized the seats were covered with cushions as bright a yellow as Ariani’s tropical sun. No doubt the sunny cushions were a homage to the airbus line’s name.

“Very luxurious public transit for Ariani’s tourists,” Qui-Gon murmured to his Padawan, who sat beside him. “Unlikely that the migrant workers and poorer natives of Arieli get to travel around the city in equal comfort.”

“Very unlikely,” agreed Obi-Wan dryly.

When they transferred to the gray line, they did indeed find themselves boarding a rusty airbus with an interior as discouraging as its exterior. The gray plastoid seats appeared so filthy that Qui-Gon and his apprentice preferred to hold onto a ceiling railing for support rather than risk contracting disease as the airbus sped through Ariani’s migrant district, and the air cooling system must have been non-functional because the fetid air never circulated while the Jedi were aboard.

It was a relief to debark the airbus five stops later. Glancing around him to gain his bearings, Qui-Gon saw no traces of the colorful awnings and fountains that had dominated the cityscape in the wealthier districts of Ariani. Crumbling gray ferrocrete was the distinguishing feature of the migrant district whether in the horizontal form of its litter-strewn streets or the vertical conapts that stretched into the sky like storm clouds. The only color in this district appeared to be rude, semi-illiterate graffiti painted onto the walls of the conapts.

“Makes the Crimson Corridor seem like prize real estate, doesn’t it, Master?” Obi-Wan shook his head at the drab surroundings, referring to a high crime neighborhood of Coruscant a mere ten kilometers from the Jedi Temple.

“The Crimson Corridor is certainly more colorful.” Qui-Gon’s lips quirked. “However, no doubt that’s due to its much higher concentration of gangs, criminals, and street predators.”

“Well, if we’ve learned one thing since we arrived in Ariani, it’s how important promoting a more harmonious society is to the government,” remarked Obi-Wan in his archest tone.

“Do try to keep your sarcasm to a minimum in our upcoming conversation,” warned Qui-Gon as they reached Alessa Piera’s conapt complex and began climbing the stairs—the turbolift was out of order according to a sign that appeared old enough to hint repairs wouldn’t be made soon—to reach the number indicated by her address.

“Don’t I always, Master?” Obi-Wan flashed Qui-Gon his most innocent expression.

They were standing outside Alessa Piera’s conapt, so Qui-Gon contented himself with shooting his apprentice a stern stare before pressing the button to alert Alessa Piera that she had visitors.

“You aren’t security?” A thin woman with hair staticky from the humidity and a sheen of sweat shining on her forehead opened the door a sliver, her eyes wary. “I thought security might be coming to detain and fine me again. My husband already works around the chrono to pay the fines I earn for daring to speak out against injustice.”

“We aren’t security.” Qui-Gon tried to inject calm into his voice, so that the woman wouldn’t be tempted to slam the door on their faces. “We’re Jedi assigned to ensure the re-count in Ariani proceeds fairly.”

“You belong at the polling stations.” The woman didn’t appear ready to invite them into her quarters. “My conapt isn’t a polling station.”

“We know that you lead the Migrant Advocacy Group and that you were detained by the government today for the the protest you organized outside the Head of State’s office, Alessa Piera.” Qui-Gon saw that the use of her name captured Alessa’s attention and interest. “Like you, we wish to see justice achieved on Arieli. Will you let us in so that we might hear more of your grievances and objectives?”

“I suppose it would do no harm to speak with you.” Alessa had the jaded manner of one who had been disappointed too many times by authority figures who should have promoted justice but instead only encouraged injustice. “Not that I expect it will do any good either.”

“I respect her cynicism, Master,” Obi-Wan whispered to Qui-Gon, who noted inwardly that his Padwan was always prepared to appreciate well-developed irony in others, as Alessa stepped back to admit them into her conapt.

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great contrast between the "yellow line" and "gray line" and how that's reflected in the neighborhoods they service. :p Glad Qui and Obi will be able to talk to the faction leaders. It will certainly help them get a clearer picture.

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, as always, thank you so much for your supportive comments! I'm so glad that you appreciated seeing the contrast between the "yellow line" and "gray line" and how those differences indicated the varying quality of life in the neighborhoods those public transit lines served. The faction leaders certainly are important people for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to meet, because, as you say, through meeting them, the Jedi can get a clearer picture of what is going on and how they can help this planet. More discussions with both faction leaders will occur next chapter, and hopefully you'll find their perspectives interesting to read about:)

18. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Very well written political drama! Still enjoying myself here!

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @AzureAngel2, as always, thank you so much for your kind comments! I'm so glad that you're still enjoying this story and that you find it to be a well-written political drama. Hopefully this next chapter will also be enjoyable to you and other readers. :)

Planting a Seed

As soon as he stepped over the threshold into Alessa’s conapt, humidity closed around him along with the door that shut behind him and his apprentice. Obviously Alessa and her husband couldn’t afford the luxury of an air cooling system. As if to compensate for this absence, the viewports around the conapt were all open wide in the vain hope of inviting in a breeze that seldom swept this far from the shore.

“Please sit.” Alessa gestured toward a tattered sofa. “Forgive the dismal lack of climate control.”

“There’s no need to apologize.” Qui-Gon claimed a seat on the couch, noticing with a flare of discomfort that every spring in his cushion seemed to have been broken several solar cycles ago. If Obi-Wan’s slight wince beside him was any indication, the cushion his Padawan had taken was in a similarly shabby state. “I’m only sorry you must live in these conditions.”

“This is the better life we migrant workers were promised on Arieli.” Alessa’s expressive eye roll encompassed the entire rundown conapt. “The sad thing is it’s still better than the life we would’ve led if we’d never come to Arieli. What pitiful space rats we migrant workers are.”

“Did you form the Migrant Advocacy Group to campaign for better working and living conditions for migrant workers?” Qui-Gon asked, thinking the squalid living conditions the migrant workers endured could easily inspire such a movement.

“No, I’m not such an optimist as that.” Alessa shook her head. “I founded the Migrant Advocacy Group to protect the working and living conditions currently common for migrant workers on Arieli. I didn’t intend to do anything so ambitious as push for better working and living conditions for migrant workers. Still, I’m labeled as a radical by planet security and fined for disturbing the peace. I’ve also been fired from the job I worked for ten years cleaning in the same resort you’re staying in just for daring to attract any attention to myself and the other migrant workers on Arieli.”

“Why did you feel that you had to protect the current working and living conditions of migrant workers on Arieli?” Qui-Gon posed the question even though he suspected he already knew the answer: Alcide Cesare and the xenophobic sentiments his fiery speeches had sparked among the poorer natives of Arieli. Asking questions was essential to understanding motivations, and thus, to resolving political crises like the one rocking Ariani. “Did you feel they were threatened?”

“Of course I did.” Alessa stared at Qui-Gon as if he were shuffle short of a sabaac card. “Have you heard any of Alcide Cesare’s campaign speeches? As soon as he began his campaign two years ago with his attacks on migrant workers, I started my group to protest him and promote Renza Osanna. He hates migrant workers and wants to expel us all from Arieli.”

“That’s campaign promises,” Obi-Wan pointed out, his cynicism challenging Alessa’s. “Politicians never keep those. They just say whatever they believe they must to get elected.”

“Then it’s disturbing any politician would believe he has to promise to expel us from Arieli to get elected.” Alessa scowled. “Would you trust your life and livelihood to a dishonest politician?”

“You seem to be doing so.” Obi-Wan could no more resist a political debate with an activist of any stripe than he could refrain from gobbling a dessert placed before him on a gleaming platter. “You’re promoting Renza Osanna as you said yourself. You can’t possibly buy her slogan about building an Arieli for all.”

“I don’t trust her any farther than I could throw her against the wind in hurricane coming in off the ocean,” Alessa retorted. “It’s just that at least her campaign promises aren’t centered around kicking me off the planet.”

“It must be concerning to you to see how rapidly Alcide Cesare was able to raise resentment of migrant workers in poorer Arieli natives.” Qui-Gon intervened before the conversation became too heated.

“I didn’t have my head buried in the sand. The resentment was always there.” Alessa sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. “The native poor citizens of Arieli blame us for stealing their jobs and being willing to work for less credits than they are just so we can survive and try to create a better life for ourselves here.”

“I see.” Qui-Gon nodded as she confirmed what he had surmised about the volatile situation on Arieli between the migrant workers and the native poor. “Would you want better wages and working conditions like the poorer natives of Arieli seek?”

“Obviously.” Alessa snorted. “I just haven’t been smoking enough spice to believe that’s possible.”

“It might be possible if you worked with the poorer natives of Arieli to achieve those common goals.” Qui-Gon planted planted a seed he could only hope would grow into a towering green tree. “You could accomplish more if you cooperated with one another rather than fought each other with all your strength so you have none left to campaign for the changes you truly want.”

“How can I cooperate with those who hate me on principle?” Alessa waved her palm in a brisk dismissal of this absurd notion, but Qui-Gon sensed with some satisfaction that it had taken root deep in her mind.

“I’ll leave you to ponder that question.” Qui-Gon stood with a bow, Obi-Wan shadowing him. “Thank you for your time. I feel I have a better understanding of the situation on Arieli now.”

“You don’t really believe that the migrant workers will be able to cooperate with the native poor on Arieli to achieve any meaningful political change, do you, Master?” Obi-Wan gazed at him skeptically once they had stepped out of Alessa’s conapt.

“If I didn’t believe that, Padawan, I’d have no hope whatsoever for this mission.” Qui-Gon smiled serenely in the face of his apprentice’s incredulity.

“You must think the mission is hopeless then.” Obi-Wan was gawking like a fish out of water. “Surely the migrant workers and the poor natives of Arieli are as likely to band together to achieve common goals as the Jedi are to ally with the Sith.”

“The Sith are extinct.” A twinkle came to Qui-Gon’s eyes at his Padawan’s youthful exaggeration. “Neither the migrant workers nor the poor natives of Arieli are so despite what fate either faction might wish upon the other.”

“Long may the Sith stay extinct.” Obi-Wan gave a shudder that Qui-Gon could only assume was affected in this hallway that felt hotter than Mustafar lava.

“I certainly hope they remain extinct in my lifetime.” Qui-Gon steered his apprentice down the corridor with a gentle hand to the shoulder. “Come. Let’s discover if Lazzaro Quintino is as dubious of the prospect of unity between migrant workers and the native poor on Arieli as you are.”

Obi-Wan muttered something that sounded suspiciously similar to: “If he has two brain cells to rub together, he will be.”

“Would you repeat that, my young apprentice?” Qui-Gon arched an eyebrow as if he hadn’t heard his Padawan’s words.

“I said if he has two brain cells to rub together, he’ll listen to you, Master,” answered Obi-Wan so swiftly Qui-Gon had to admire his quick wit.

“Very clever, Obi-Wan,” Qui-Gon observed dryly. “I’m sure you’d never question me.”

“Never, Master,” Obi-Wan agreed with such earnestness that Qui-Gon almost believed him. “The Sith will return before I question you.”

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Alessa's observations are interesting and Qui-Gon's planted seed will bear some useful fruit. [face_thinking] Ironic conversation and comparison in mentioning the return of the Sith. :p =D=

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And the Sith will return (they are already there)

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hiding in plain sight :eek:

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    And the Sith's name is Sheev Palpatine.

24. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, as always, thank you so much for commenting! I'm glad that you found Alessa's observations interesting. Next chapter should provide Qui-Gon a chance to hear the other side as it were and plant another seed that has the potential to bear fruit later on. Glad that you appreciated the irony at the end with the mention of the return of the Sith. I had a bit of tongue in cheek fun with that. ;)

@earlybird-obi-wan, thank you for commenting! Yes, you're absolutely right that the Sith are back already, and the Jedi just don't know it yet, and as @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 says the hiding Sith's name is indeed Sheev Palpatine, who is the master of concealing himself in Coruscant's shadows.

25. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh this story is just a delight! It brought me back to reading the JA books, in the best of ways. Both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are so wonderfully in character; I can hear their voices perfectly while I read. And the political climate on Arieli is just all sorts of interesting as the plot unfurls and the various elements emerge. [face_thinking] =D=

Wise words from a wise man! [face_laugh] I loved seeing the origin of that familiar line!

Bwaha!! [face_laugh] Obi-Wan is just so cheeky here - practicing the dry wit that's eventually going to be one of his defining traits. I loved reading his banter with Qui-Gon. There's clearly a strong affection binding them together, and they're at a point in their relationship where they are comfortable with each other and work seemlessly together. It's a fantasic time period to explore.

Though, of boy, if Obi-Wan only knew about having cheeky Padawans and grand-Padawans teasing him about grey hairs. [face_laugh] [face_love]

Oooh, burn! But, wisely said! Qui-Gon is so very that calm in the storm here, keeping a balanced outlook to help untangle the intrigue on both sides of the political divide. You can clearly see where Obi-Wan is watching and learning to be called the Negotiator himself someday.

More wise observations. Yikes, but isn't the political scene here on Arieli like a rock and a hard place? [face_worried] There are no wholly sympathetic parties, and it's the people they serve who will suffer for their self-interests in the end. :(

Oh that line hurt - but what a great bit of foreshadowing! Obi-Wan of his twilight years is so far away from this young man here, and my heart hurts for everything he will eventually go through. :(

But, it's wonderful to be caught up now! You definitely have me intrigued, and I look forward to following the rest of the story from here on out. It's fantasic to see all of the stories you've posted recently, that said. I have to offer you a bit of a belated welcome to our little community! It's wonderful to have another fantastic writer and contributer to the FF boards, all around; thank you for sharing your words with us. =D= :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019