main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before the Saga Always a Bigger Fish (A Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan Multi-Chapter Mission Story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by devilinthedetails , Jun 29, 2019.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Finally all caught up. Love the interaction and dialogue between master and Padawan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    witty dialogue showing the fun between master and padawan

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha As always, thank you so much for commenting! :) Being able to describe the activities of the vacationers on the beach was one of my favorite aspects of this chapter since I felt I could really take advantage of the setting so I'm so happy that part was enjoyable to you. Qui-Gon mental comments on Obi-Wan's appetite made me smile, so I'm happy to hear you enjoyed those thoughts as well. Glad you found the conclusion about Cesare plausible, and next chapter will give us more of a chance to see Darius react to the situation.

@Kit' I'm so glad that you're all caught up :D The dialogue and interaction between Master and Padawan has been my favorite part of this story to write, so it's awesome to hear that you love it.

@earlybird-obi-wan thank you so much for commenting! I'm so glad you are enjoying the fun dialogue between Master and Padawan. There should be some more of that before the story ends. ;)

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Caught in the Net

“How can I help the Jedi?” Head of State Darius wore a wide, welcoming smile as he gestured for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to settle into a pair of plush chair across from him in an ornately furnished meeting, but there were gray bags under his eyes that alerted Qui-Gon to the fact that the Head of State had suffered sleepless nights throughout the election re-count. That could be good or bad, depending on the Head of State’s disposition. Good if he was inclined to ensure the accuracy of the election results. Bad if he merely wished as smooth and swift a conclusion to the re-count as possible. Yet Qui-Gon could only advise the Head of State and then trust in the Force that influenced and created all life to do the rest. “Catia mentioned it was urgent.”

“In the process of overseeing the re-count, my apprentice and I have uncovered evidence of deceased beings voting in the election.” Qui-Gon surrendered himself to the will of the Force as he offered this unvarnished reply.

“You mean the rumors of fraud.” Head of State Darius blinked before regaining his composure. “I have heard those too yet rumors aren’t enough to convict anyone of fraud.”

“Not rumors.” Qui-Gon shook his head. “Evidence obtained by cross-referencing voter registration records in various retirement districts with records of the deceased. Evidence that confirms such voter fraud occurred across multiple retirement districts presided over by different managers.”

“You speak of evidence.” Head of State Darius frowned. “It would have to be airtight for me to risk bringing charges in a situation as politically fraught as this, you understand, Master Jedi.”

“Completely. That’s why I’ve taken the liberty of downloading to this datachip all the evidence of fraud my Padawan and I have uncovered.” Qui-Gon nodded sagely. Ignoring the astonished expressions both Obi-Wan and Head of State Darius fixed upon him, he reached into the pocket of his robes, fingers finding a datachip tinier than his pinky that seemed so small to store all the information required to alter the electoral fate of an entire planet. Yet at the same time he was certain that the futures of a thousand planets had been shaped by smaller things. The midichlorians in his cells whispered that truth to him.

“I’ll have to order my security forces and prosecutors to review this evidence before any formal charges can be leveled against the managers of these voting stations.” Head of State Darius accepted with a face set like ferrocrete the datachip Qui-Gon extended to him. “Such fraud carries harsh sentences upon conviction here on Arieli. A minimum of twenty years behind bars and a maximum of seventy. These aren’t charges that can be made lightly against anyone in such politically tense times.”

“Jedi don’t make accusations lightly under any circumstances.” Obi-Wan’s tone was tart.

“We respect your desire for fairness.” In the interest of not derailing the conversation, Qui-Gon refrained from sharing his speculation that it was more a politician’s instinct to avoid a potential scandal than a genuine concern for justice that motivated Head of State Darius. Such a comment would not be diplomatic nor would it advance the conversation in any constructive fashion. “That is why I would offer a suggestion on how justice might be most properly achieved in this instance.”

“Jedi advice is always welcome.” Head of State Darius appeared to be bracing for another bombshell behind a polite, political mask.

“We are by the ocean.” Qui-Gon tilted his chin toward the viewport through which could be glimpsed the glimmering blue-green waves of the ocean.

“Less than a kilometer away.” Head of State Darius sounded nonplussed.

“Then an oceanic analogy would be appropriate.” Qui-Gon eyed the Head of State keenly, convinced the man had to be shrewd enough to interpret his meaning if he had been elected the most powerful person on this planet. “What is the point of a net that ensnares the little fish but lets the big fish escape?”

“It’s better to catch little fish than a big fish if the big fish is a shock.” Head of State Darius was grim as a fraud sentence on Arieli.

“A shark like Alcide Cesare?” Qui-Gon posed the question though he knew the answer.

“Yes.” Head of State Darius pressed his lips into a thin, white line. “If I tried to take him down for fraud, I would risk any charges leveled against him appearing to the public as potentially politically-fueled nonsense since we’re members of opposing parties that have been at one another’s throats for months.”

“You’re members of opposing parties, and you’ve offered campaign speeches in support of Renza Osanna.” Obi-Wan, who had obviously listened to the speeches Head of State Darius had given to endorse Renza Osanna’s candidacy on the trip to Arieli, observed wryly. “I certainly see how that could create an awkward situation for you.”

“It was a quid pro quo arrangement we made last election.” Head of State Darius drummed his fingers against his armrest. “I promised to endorse her candidacy in this election if she would would do the same for me in the previous one.”

“You don’t have to confront Alcide Cesare directly. At least not at first.” Qui-Gon paused to ensure he had the Head of State’s full attention before he went on, “Should your security forces and prosecutors be convinced by the evidence against these voting station managers, have them brought in for questioning. In the course of this questioning, have your security officers and prosecutors allude to plea bargains that could significantly reduce their potential punishment if they agree to give testimony against the big fish who ordered them to engage in fraud.”

“A big fish named Alcide Cesare.” There was no denying the intrigue in the Head of State’s voice and gaze.

“Ah, but you won’t know that until the voting station managers begin to offer their testimonies per the terms of their plea bargains.” Qui-Gon gave a ghost of a grin. “So your actions could not have been politically motivated.”

“I will have my security forces and prosecutors review the evidence on this datachip.” With a decisive nod, Head of State Darius rose to end the meeting. “Thank you for your time and counsel, Master Jedi. I will do all in my power to ensure that justice is done in the matter you brought to my attention.”

Bowing, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan took their leave. Once they were far enough down the corridor to be out of earshot, Obi-Wan muttered, “He’s not pursuing the pressing charges against the voting station managers or Alcide Cesare because it’s justice, Master. He’s only doing so because he’s been convinced that it’s in his own best interests.”

“Nevertheless justice will be done because of his self-interest.” Qui-Gon rested a steadying hand on his Padawan’s taut shoulder, seeking to impart perspective on his apprentice. “Through the Force, his self-interest became the agent through which justice was done. Even the base and the banal can be put to sublime purpose through the transcendent will of the Force.”

“Are there any beings more motivated by the base and the banal than politicians?” Obi-Wan’s scowl couldn’t be erased so easily. “It seems they’re all motivated by nothing noble.”

“Some politicians are indeed motivated by noble causes and values.” Qui-Gon was patient in the face of his Padawan’s unrelenting cynicism. “It’s best not to judge beings by their careers. That would be an unfairness in itself.”

“Yes, Master.” Obi-Wan ducked his head, but Qui-Gon had no doubt his apprentice’s abiding mistrust of politicians would demonstrate itself before the mission concluded. “I apologize for my cynicism.”

“You wouldn’t be yourself if you weren’t cynical.” Qui-Gon smiled slightly. “I forgive you.”

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I always enjoy Qui-Gon's ponderings about courses of action and his suggestion is a good one. Darius gets justice while also keeping from being accused of a political maneuver. :p =D=

6. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha As always, thank you so much for your kind comment! :D In this story, I've really loved being able to delve into Qui-Gon's mind as he ponders different courses of action, so it makes me so happy that you've enjoyed those parts throughout this story. I'm glad you think Qui-Gon's suggestion is a good one. Next chapter should reveal how it pays off, so I'm excited to get to that part as the story draws to a conclusion. Darius will be able to pursue justice while not being accused of a political maneuver so that should be good news for Arieli as a whole.

7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    “Are there any beings more motivated by the base and the banal than politicians?” Obi-Wan’s scowl couldn’t be erased so easily. “It seems they’re all motivated by nothing noble.”

“Some politicians are indeed motivated by noble causes and values.” Qui-Gon was patient in the face of his Padawan’s unrelenting cynicism. “It’s best not to judge beings by their careers. That would be an unfairness in itself.”

“Yes, Master.” Obi-Wan ducked his head, but Qui-Gon had no doubt his apprentice’s abiding mistrust of politicians would demonstrate itself before the mission concluded. “I apologize for my cynicism.”

“You wouldn’t be yourself if you weren’t cynical.” Qui-Gon smiled slightly. “I forgive you.”

What I do like about Qui-Gon is his open mind set. He is less judgemental than his padawan. :D

devilinthedetails likes this.
  8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @AzureAngel2 Thank you so much for your kind comment! :) I agree that Qui-Gon is more open-minded than his Padawan, and that is indeed one of the traits I love about Qui-Gon so I was happy to have the opportunity to showcase that in this story, so it's awesome to hear that you appreciated getting to see that in this chapter.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Turmoil and Opportunity

Over the next week, events played out much as Qui-Gon had envisioned when he spoke to Head of State Darius. As Qui-Gon had anticipated, upon reviewing the datachip, the security forces and prosecutors were convinced by the evidence of widespread electoral fraud he had provided. Per his suggestion, they took the managers of the voting stations where fraud had occurred in for questioning and offered plea bargains in exchange for testimony against the one who had persuaded them to engage in fraud.

By the end of the week, there were many disgraced former managers of voting stations willing to testify in an Arieli court of law against Alcide Cesare, who had been charged with multiple counts of electoral fraud, any of which upon conviction would be enough to ensure that he was locked behind bars for the remaining decades of his life.

With one of its chief candidates charged with multiple counts of electoral fraud and facing decades in prison, the election recount was halted and Renza Osanna was declared the victor more by default than popular acclaim. The signs proclaiming loyalty to favored candidates and parties or smearing opposing candidates and parties were taken down, and the protesting crowds disappeared, although Qui-Gon could sense tension and discontent continuing to simmer beneath a city that on the surface had regained serenity.

Perhaps Renza Osanna with her long years of political experience detected these undercurrents of unease on the planet she would soon be expected to lead out of this crisis in faith for she invited the Jedi to a private meeting with her in a conference room of the governmental building at the beating heart of Ariani.

“I should thank the Jedi for uncovering the electoral fraud that allowed me to become the Head of State elect by default if nothing else,” commented Renza Osanna in a tone that sounded more cool than grateful once she had exchanged formal greetings with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

“You owe us no thanks, My Lady.” Qui-Gon inclined his head, responding to her coolness with dispassion. “We uncovered the electoral fraud in service of Arieli, not you.”

“Nevertheless I will lead Arieli because of your discovery.” Renza Osanna’s lips pursed. “It’ll be a difficult time of turmoil to lead the planet through, and yet it was a difficulty I asked for when I ran for the office of Head of State. I mustn’t flinch from it now. I’ve made my sleep coach and now I must lie in it.”

Odd words to hear from a woman who should have felt she had achieved the greatest triumph of her life, but Qui-Gon had seen enough hollowness in the eyes of those who had fulfilled their wildest dreams only to realize that the pleasure was more in the dreaming than the attaining of lofty goals to not be stunned by the emptiness of them. There was a fullness in dreams, he had come to understand, and a void at the center of any accomplishment. That was the final irony—the last cruelty—of ambition. That was why the Jedi encouraged detachment and humble acceptance of the ever-shifting will of the Force.

“You can see it as a time of turmoil or as a time of hope.” Qui-Gon knew that many of the people on Arieli wanted and needed change, but as a politician, Renza Osanna would have to be encouraged to perceive the change her planet needed not as a threat but as an opportunity. “You can be part of the change the people of Arieli are pushing for or you can resist it, but if you promote the change that is needed on Arieli, the people will love you for representing their interests.”

“The political landscape is shifting.” Renza Osanna’s gaze was distant but shrewd as she stared out the window at the cityscape below lit by the blazing tropical sun above. “The Workers of Ariani Party that supported Alcide Cesare’s xenophobic rhetoric has merged with the Migrant Advocacy Group that sided with me for my acceptance of migrants. Now it is unclear if they’ll be for me or against me once I take office.”

“They want reforms that grant workers—both native and migrant—more rights.” Qui-Gon stared into her calculating expression, watching as she considered these people by the votes they represented more than by the sentient rights to which they were entitled. “If you grant them such reforms on their behalf, their support of you should be secured.”

“I’m prepared to make some concessions to that effect.” Renza Osanna gave a brisk nod. “I have a meeting with them tomorrow to discuss such reforms. Arieli must reform or it’ll collapse from social unrest. I can see that.”

“Then you are wise.” At least by the standards of politicians, Qui-Gon amended his remark mentally. “Arieli should have a bright future bright as the tropical sun overhead thanks to your leadership.”

“Thank you.” Renza Osanna’s frosty face warmed with a faint smile. “The Jedi will be remembered fondly for their work ensuring peace, order, and justice were maintained on Arieli.”

It wouldn’t have been a proper political meeting on Arieli without at least one reference to the maintenance of order, Qui-Gon thought as he and Obi-Wan bowed, taking their leave from the Head of State elect with formal farewells.

“Do you truly have such high hopes for Renza Osanna’s leadership, Master?” Obi-Wan asked as they boarded the turbolift that would bring them down to the government building’s ornate lobby.

“I have high hopes for her leadership because I believe she’ll be held accountable by brave beings like Alessa and Lazzaro, and that she knows it.” Qui-Gon felt the levels flicker by as the turbolift dropped swiftly toward the lobby. “It’s the brave beings like Alessa and Lazarro that I place my true hopes in, Padawan, because it’s beings like them, not politicians, who are the lifeblood of every representative government in the galaxy. It’s their strength and courage that keeps the Republic from falling.”

“If the Republic survived by the strength of its politicians, it would’ve collapsed from the corruption of its rotten politicians centuries ago.” Obi-Wan cracked a wry grin as the turbolift stopped in the lobby, opening its door with a heraldic chime. “I see what you mean, Master. I too have faith in what Alessa and Lazzaro might achieve if they work together.”

“We’ll be leaving Arieli with a more hopeful future than it had when we arrived.” Qui-Gon ruffled his apprentice’s hair as they stepped out of the turbolift. “Let’s celebrate that.”

“May we celebrate by visiting Water World?” Excitement glimmered in Obi-Wan’s blue eyes, and Qui-Gon was reminded of just how young his apprentice still was.

“I suppose we can’t visit a resort city like this without taking advantage of all its charms.” Qui-Gon laughed as he agreed to Obi-Wan’s request, reflecting that sometimes it was necessary for Jedi to pause in the completion of their duties long enough to enjoy some of the rich pleasures the galaxy could offer in abundance to counter its terrible sufferings and challenges. A Jedi’s life would be devoid of meaning, he thought, if the Jedi refused all chances of pleasure in it.

Half an hour later, he and his apprentice were one of the thousands in the teeming throngs that crowded Water World. All around him, children begged for snacks or beamed as they munched on the ones they had successfully induced their parents to purchase for them. Lines snaked through the park as children and their parents waited to ride slides that stretched as tall as skytowers. Screams of terror and delight echoed in the air as the riders plunged and wove down these watery attractions.

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon joined the end of one of these winding lines. They hadn’t been standing there long before a vendor with a cart of Neuvian sundaes rolled over to hawk his wares.

“That man’s selling Neuvian sundaes, Master.” Obi-Wan tilted his chin at the vendor, obviously hoping for a sweet.

“You’ll go green as Master Yoda if you have a sundae before going down a water slide.” Qui-Gon chuckled at Obi-Wan’s barely concealed begging.

“I won’t.” Obi-Wan, ever headstrong, shook his head. “I’ll have plenty of time to digest while I wait on line. That’s why they sell sundaes at the beginning of the line, not the end of it.”

Qui-Gon snorted.

Obviously interpreting the snort as an invitation to continue, Obi-Wan assumed a tone sweet as the sundaes hawked by the vendor. “You wouldn’t want me to tell Master Yoda what you said about going green, would you?”

“You wouldn’t want to tell Master Yoda about that.” Qui-Gon smiled slightly at the transparency of his Padawan’s tactics. “Then we’d both be confined to the Temple for a month, and I know how you love to go on missions.”

“An excellent point.” Obi-Wan paused before trying again. “I’m willing to compromise, Master. If you buy me a Neuvian sundae, I promise not to tell Master Yoda what you said about going green.”

“You drive a hard bargain, Obi-Wan.” Qui-Gon studied his apprentice with fond exasperation.

“Everything I know about negotiations, I learned from you.” Obi-Wan’s expression of exaggerated innocence didn’t slip for a second.

More out of affection for the impish adolescent beside him than out of being outwitted by stubborn teenage logic, Qui-Gon flagged down the vendor and purchased a Neuvian sundae for his plainly pleased Padawan.

“The joke will be on you when you get sick,” Qui-Gon teased as he watched Obi-Wan spoon mounds of frozen cream and tropical fruit into his mouth.

“The last laugh will still be on you when I get sick all over you.” Undaunted, Obi-Wan shoveled spoonfuls of sundae into his mouth until Qui-Gon had to chuckle at the absurdity of the situation as the Arieli sun smiled down upon them with all the burning hopes of a million migrant and native dreams.

The End

A special thank you to all who read and commented on this story as it progressed. Your support and interest throughout encouraged me to get this done, and I hope you'll enjoy the final product as much as I've enjoyed writing it:)

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb conclusion. =D=

The political situation was very well detailed throughout.
    Qui-Gon's musings about ambition, striving to attain something becoming hollow once it's attained is often the case, depending of course on what it is one is seeking. [face_thinking]

The teasing and affection at the end made me :D

It's always a mixed thing when one of your stories ends: it's so gratifying and yet I can't wait until the next one starts [face_laugh]

[:D]

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha As always, thank you so much for your kind comments!:D

I'm so glad you thought the conclusion was superb since I always get a little nervous about writing conclusions for multi-chapter stories so it's nice to know this one worked out well.

The political situation was really interesting for me to explore in this story so I'm happy to hear that you thought it was well-detailed throughout, and I think you're right that it can depend on what someone is seeking how hollow attaining it can feel. That's very true.

I was smiling as I wrote the teasing and affection at the end, so I'm so pleased that it made you grin as well.

I'm so flattered you feel that way about my stories! Hopefully I'll be able to get at least another oneshot up soon:)

12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    It seems like your plan nicely came together in Hannibal like fashion. (Not talking about Hannibal Lecter though... ;))

And an end with ice cream is always the best one that there is. Oh, boy, do I love ice cream.

13. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @AzureAngel2 As always, thank you so much for your kind words! :D

I'm so flattered that you think it seems like my plan all came together in a Hannibal fashion. It's always satisfying for me to get that sense of completion that comes from finishing a multi-chapter story like this one. I admit that for me I always have a perfect, ideal image for a story, and my stories never quite live up to the perfection I envision but I come to really love them and feel satisfied with them despite the flaws I know must be there, so it always makes me feel so good when readers appreciate the final product of a story coming together.

I definitely think ice cream is a great ending for just about anything. I also am a huge ice cream fan. So many delicious flavors. Yum. Makes my mouth water just thinking about ice cream...

14. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Probably not the most exciting mission Obi-Wan and his Master took on, but perhaps one of the most important. The effects of elections and political decisions are just so far-reaching, especially when they have an impact on a large portion of a galaxy. This sounds so much like recent events right here at home (and possibly during the next several months).

Qui-Gon Jinn is a favorite character of mine, and I particularly appreciate authors who write him well, as you have here. This sounds exactly like him -- the calm demeanor, the observations, the dry wit.

The idea of dividing up the investigations worked particularly well. Obi-Wan gets to follow the paper trail – and work on patience and persistence at the same time. A most valuable set of skills.

Despite this being more of a “talking heads” story than an action/adventure, it was a pleasure to read.

I would like to formally request the Jedi send someone to oversee the upcoming elections in November in the US. Who do I contact? (Tell them I will be happy to spring for ice cream afterwards. :))

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Seldes_Katne Thank you so much for commenting!:) I agree that it might not have been the most exciting mission that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon could've take on, but it was still a very important one. The effects of elections and political decisions can have far-reaching consequences as you say even if they don't seem as exciting as an adrenaline-pounding adventure. I do admit that I did draw some inspiration for this story from some real world events that to me hit close to home, but sometimes for me the best stories come out of those sort of real world inspirations.

Qui-Gon is an excellent character, one of my favorites as well, and I'm so happy to hear you felt I did him justice. Nothing could be more flattering than to have you think that my Qui-Gon sounds just like him with the calm demeanor, the observations, and the dry wit.

I'm glad you liked the idea of dividing up the investigations, and I agree it was useful for Obi-Wan to be able to work on his patience and persistence by following the paper trail.

The story did definitely turn out to be something of a talking heads type fic, but I'm happy to hear that you found it a pleasure to read.

Unfortunately, all our requests for Jedi oversight of our upcoming November elections in the US seem to be getting lost on the Holonet no matter how many offers we make to spring for ice cream afterward[face_laugh]

16. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Thanks to @Seldes_Katne for bringing this up to the front page again! I read it (well, listened using my earbuds and a text-to-voice program) quite a while ago and really enjoyed all of the characterization time that we got with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, but also with the OC's like Alessa and Lazzaro. (Jedi but also oh-so-teenage Obi-Wan is so fun to read in his constant battle between the Snark side and the Genuine Respect for Mentor side.) I kept waiting for the final act where the villain (but the villain is kind of a diffuse array of things here!) forces our heroes into duking it out with lightsabers or something, but was really pleasantly surprised to see it remain an actual diplomatic mission all the way through! There had to be more of this sort of story than TPM-style incidents, and it's kind of nice to see that played out all the way through. (Which is kind of funny for me to say, because I'm always the one who dozes off when they go into space politics in the old EU. :p ) And I too liked that Obi-Wan got his ice cream in the end. [face_laugh]

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Kahara Thank you so much for commenting!:) I'm so glad that you enjoyed listening/reading this piece awhile ago. I definitely think of it as being something of a character story so it makes me so happy that you enjoyed all the character time with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan as well as with OC like Alessa and Lazzaro who were fun for me to write and invent.

Teenage Obi-Wan was definitely caught in a permanent war between his Snark Side and Genuine Respect for his mentor side as you say, which made him an amusing character write in this story for sure.

I can understand waiting for the villain to come out in the final act to be defeated by the lightsaber (it is a Star Wars story about Jedi, after all), but I did want the villain to sort of be a complex, diffuse array of things as you say more than just a single person or threat who can be defeated with a lightsaber. I'm glad that I could sort of surprise you by keeping it a diplomatic mission all the way through. I like to think that not every Jedi mission before TPM would've involved the use of lightsabers so it was nice to be able to write one where the Jedi didn't have to resort to their lightsabers.

And it wouldn't have been a happy ending if Obi-Wan couldn't have his ice cream and make me hungry in the process[face_laugh]