main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Am I the only one that loved Attack of the Clones?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 15, 2015.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I can agree with that, to an extent. I think Portman does an exemplary job in some scenes of the prequels, but in other scenes she ends up dropping the ball far worse than any of the other actors. I know that by the time of AOTC Portman was demoralized by the harsh criticisms TPM received and probably felt the material was beneath her, but McGregor apparently felt the same way and still managed to do an excellent job. With or without intensive direction from Lucas, Hayden Christensen, an adequate actor, and Ewan McGregor, an amazing actor, both delivered what I consider great performances, even with the sometimes-preposterous dialogue they were given. Why couldn't Natalie Portman, future Acadamy Award-winning actress, do the same consistently?

At the end of the day, the buck stops with Lucas as director. If he couldn't get the performances he needed out of his actors, it's his fault. But still, it's worth pointing out that his directing style (in my eyes) worked most of the time for most of the performers.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    wobbits and AhsokaSolo like this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The point would then be that he got what he wanted from her and so all was good.

From your post then most of any problems you have come from AOTC?

I really don't have a problem with anything in the acting as such since I just give Lucas the benefit that he got what he liked and needed. It might be different if it was some director doing some Hollywood movie that was some adaption and they weren't the originator and not financing it themselves but with Lucas' movies and the PT in particular he pours over every frame for years on end.

Much like he says about JW's music. "90% is great. 5% I talk about and change and the other 5% I don't talk about and live with it." or something to that effect.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    KyleKartan likes this.
  3. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    No, AOTC is probably my favorite prequel. I think Portman's overall screen presence more than overcomes the intermittent lapses in her delivery. I agree that Lucas likely got what he needed, and the film works. Unlike so many others, I love the romance scenes and think there's a wonderful, old-fashioned innocence about them that's unlike any other romance scene in a modern film, which is exactly what Lucas wanted.

I do think Portman could have tightened up her acting in a few spots. But every one of the original six Star Wars movies has its flaws. I don't consider any of them that major in the grand scheme of things.

Darth Smurf and Tonyg like this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I'd say Lucas got what he wanted in the sense that he doesn't want much at all. He has very little interest in the art of acting. He just wants the actors he hires to stand there & say the lines in a vaguely competent fashion. Then it's on to the next take. Other directors with a better appreciation for acting will do take after take until they get just the right performance in each scene, which ads up to a far better portrayal overall.

5. thrawn91

thrawn91 Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2016
    I may be in the minority of Star Wars fans when I say this but I really liked the dynamic between Anakin and Padme. btw in the film Natalie Portman really looked like the angel that young Ani thought Padme was when she walked into Watto's workshop all those years ago. Just amazing

Anyway back to AOTC, when you watch it the first time and see the visible tension in Anakin's body language and speech when he first sets his eyes upon padme It immediately becomes clear to the viewer who Luke and Leia's mother was going to be. I was 11 at the time AOTC was shown in theatres and in my head I was like "Oh crap so Padme is going to be Vader's wife lolz"

Lucas does a great job at portraying how much Padme just means to Anakin and the way she looks like in Coruscant 10 years after the events of TPM just tips him over the edge. That scene with Obi-Wan when they reunite allows us to see how emotionally fragile Anakin is despite being a Jedi and really let's the audience understand Anakins struggle, and how outside his Mother, padme is the only real woman in his life. Also, with the way she looks there is no way he can get her out of his mind either and that in my opinion just heightens that feeling for the audience even more.

Some people criticize George's handling of Anakin and state that he was too "creepy", "cheesy" and "obsessive". But I disagree, the vulnerability of Anakin, his fragile emotional state, weirdness and anxiety really makes events later on in the film at the Tusken camp and eventual turn to the Dark Side in ROTS all that more believable. It also shows his initial willingness to drop Jedi orthodoxy to pursue his own dreams and desires.

Anakin was the chosen one, a great fighter and possessed immense power despite not yet reaching his full potential and his major weakness was attachment to the two women who dominated his life. He wanted a life greater than any other Jedi, to stop the death of loved one's and despite being born as a slave to be in a loving relationship with a noble woman, a queen and senator who probably was the most attractive human female in the galaxy at that time. It makes his fall even more tragic because there is no way given his upbringing that he could not be taken aback, obsessed and lovestruck by all of this. It's what makes his little fire side chat with Padme all that more brilliant. In my head canon the Force allows for Anakin to turn to the Darkside because his head is never at peace during the prequels and only reaches that level when Vader throws Palpatine down the death star shaft in order to save Luke.

btw I love the juxtaposition of the fairy tale scenes between Padme and Anakin in the Naboo whilst Obi-Wan was on a receiving end of a rain soaked beating from Jango Fett. Just shows who the real mvp is.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  6. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    I too, am a fan of AOTC.
    Loved the scene of Anakin on his bike looking for his moms.

Subtext Mining and Tonyg like this.
  7. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    Love aotc. Well paced with five planets. Love the geonosis asreroid chase. Breathing has gotta be one of my favorite SW trailers. I was high for like a week after seeing that trailer in the theater.

Subtext Mining, Tonyg and Deliveranze like this.
  8. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I loved this movie and can't really understand all the hate.

9. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Anakin has a few badass moments in this film:

- When he's pacing around the bar looking for Zam. Seeing a person so young, with that level authority and role in such important galactic matters of espionage and assassination, contrasted with the regular folk just partying, living their lives normally, reinforces what an abnormal life Anakin has been leading for the past 10 years since TPM.

- When Cliegg Lars describes the Tusken attack and how they killed tens of his men, kidnapped Schmii, and left him legless. Anakin's first response to this information: "I'm going to find my mother."

- When he returns to the Lars homestead with Schmii in his arms and everyone is standing like "damm he really found her and made it back;

- When hes spilling his feelings to Padme and Padme says "I will not give into this." Anakin immediately and literally backs off, showing respect to Padme. RESPECTFUL.

Then all this badassery is contrasted with some innocent and naive moments, which show that Anakinnp is still a young man transitiong into adulthood. Things like him being nervous around Padme, using the force to lift the apple, and rushing in to fight Dooku.

As for the film, I have 2 major problems.

1) the speeder chase through Courasant. I disliked some of the quips Anakin and Obi Wan were making, I felt Obi and Anakin makingnthose huge jumps were kinda silly, and most of all the music is too fast paced and "generic action music". I wish someine would rescore that part.

- The droid factory scene. I dont need to expand on thay.

Also this is a more minor thing but I think it might have been good if Schmii was already dead when Anakin found her on Tatooine. It was a bit too coincidental that she just happened to die in his arms, plus if she ws already dead Anakin would have even stronger feeling of loss and incompleteness.

Aside from that, AOTC is my favourite in the saga.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  10. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    I mostly agree. Falling thousands of stories thru Coruscant without a scratch. Lucas wanted to make "losing lightsabers" a theme. Really?! Wow! Profound stuff! Actually it undermines what Obiwan says in Ep 4: an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. I cried when hid mom died though. Some sloppy editing in a few places. Droid factory scene was only video game quality. Ki-Adi Mundi his lightaaber changes colors between shots on Geonosis. Anakin's saber colors reverse after he catches the one Obiwan throws. But I liked the slow methodical lightsaber fighting and Dooku's easr of holding his own. Do u think it would have been better if Dooku had an apprearance in Ep 1 or even mentioned?

11. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    It kinda makes me wonder if Windu survived his fall. I mean if Anakin can fall several stories without repurcussion then why not Mace lol.

Yea I do. Even just a tiny showing of dooku on the Council (if he was there at the time, Im unsure when exactly he left the Order) or a mention of him would be a nice tie in for such a important (yet understated) character.

I have an idea that TPM should have had a 5 minute epilogue/montage, - timeskipped a few years ahead - at the very end, to better tiein the next films.

Imagine this: its a close up of child Anakin at the ceremoney, the camera pans up to the sky, the sky turns to night, the cameras pans back down and we are bck at the Jedi templen. Anakin (as hayden) is dueling with obiwan, showing hes on his way to becoming a jedi; then it could show Padme passing the torch of the Queen position to jamillia, signalling shes moving onto other things; it could show dooku spouting propaganda to the citzenry, showing hes gathering support for the separtists; and then it could show palpatine scheming something evil.

If youve ever seen the end-of-season montages from the show The Wire, thats kinda what I have in mind.

I love TPM for expanding the scope of the pt by being set 10 years prior, and a bridge scene like this could help further that scope and fill in the time-gap in a breezy way that mkes you curious for what happens next.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    The-Clone-Wars likes this.
  12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I think it's fine Dooku didn't appear in TPM. He was meant to be a new character in AOTC, a surprise villain. Also, time skips are nice in some movies, but would feel out-of-style in a SW movie. All of the OT movies take place within a very limited space of time. The PT followed that tradition. What was ingenious in 2001 would not necessarily have worked well in SW.

13. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    While tradition should be taken into account, I dont think its a defining factor that should block out new ideas that may better suit the narrative situation at hand.

For one, SW does have large time skips already, (just not within a single film), so its not incomprehensible or totally alien.

Two, TPM to AOTC is the biggest timeskip from the original six films, aside from the jump from PT to OT.

Three, between TPM and AOTC the main protagonist goes from a young child to adult and with an actor change in the process. The only other time an actor change occurs is with Obi-Wan, and thats only because of the PT to OT creation gap. Many people complain that they have a difficult time reconciling Lloyd's Anakin with Hayden's, and I think a direct bridge within a single film could help smooth the transition.

Four, it's not the same as 2001's timeskip because that timeskip occured early into the film and drastically altered the narrative for a substantial amount of the films remaining runtime, whilst my suggestion is only a small 5 minute end sequence to close the film off.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  14. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, that's what I meant, no drastic time skips within one episode, only between episodes. That has, to me at least, become sort of a SW tradition. Not that I'm against new ideas, but I can understand why Lucas didn't do it. To be fair, he did come up with new stuff in the prequels, but still stuck to certain traditions, like the opening crawls, always in three paragraphs, with the same main title music, always starting in space with space ships etc. So I guess huge time skips is one of those things that just don't happen in a SW movie. We don't have to like it but that's how this saga is. As far as I know the same is true for R1 and the sequels.

Tonyg likes this.
  15. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    I know you meant that, my point was just that in a series that spans like 30years over 6 films I don't think its so bad or alien to have a skip within a film.

I think the opening crawl is way more iconic than a timeskip. That is something so ingrained and important that I wouldn't want it changed.

I never really thought about it, but yeah all the film do start with a spaceship. But I think more fundamental to openings is their tone of forward motion, of something important occuring. For this reason I wouldnt mind breaking tradition on the ship opening thing, as its not something so important that every film should follow it.

(I think TLJ is actually the only film to not open on a ship, if im recalling correctly. Its a total coincidence that TLJ arguably has the worst opening of them all though, honestly!).

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    It's not just that this would be going against tradition. It's that it would be a jarring ending which had nothing to do with the two hours of story which preceded it.

One thing all these prequel rewrites have in common is a complete lack of understanding of basic storytelling structure. You don't spend two hours telling a complete story and then at the very end awkwardly tack on five minutes from the beginning of a completely new story. I honestly don't even know where to begin in explaining exactly why this is wrong.

17. BloodyCaligula

BloodyCaligula Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2018
    Ironically, I’ve always felt that basic storytelling structure is the main problem with the prequel trilogy, once you strip it all down.

Let’s compare it to two other trilogies: the original Star Wars trilogy and The Lord of the Rings.

The first Star Wars film sets up all the main players- Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, etc. It establishes the central threat and conflict that this trilogy will center around- the Rebellion vs. the Empire. We know what Luke’s goals are- he wants to become a great Jedi Knight like his father. The central villain will be Vader. We establish his relationship with Han Solo. We find out what a Jedi is, and what the Force is. And it doesn’t take much of a genius to guess that Luke will have to avoid the pitfalls of the dark side over the course of the trilogy. The next two films take the groundwork that the first film establishes and flow outward from it naturally.

Similarly, The Fellowship of the Ring establishes the threat of Sauron and the Ring. We know what Frodo’s mission is- he must take the Ring to Mount Doom and destroy it. The main characters are established. We know that Sam will never abandon or betray Frodo. Aragorn will resume his rightful place as King of Gondor. The Free Peoples of Middle Earth will have to unite to overcome the threat of Sauron. Frodo will have to avoid being tempted and corrupted by the Ring as Gollum was. Everything that happens in the next two films flows naturally from the setup and groundwork that Fellowship laid down.

The only real setup we get from The Phantom Menace is that the Sith have returned and that Anakin will he trained as a Jedi. The Trade Federation really doesn’t play a major role in the next two films. Qui-Gon and Maul are both dead. We don’t even really know what the Sith wanted, other than to stir up trouble.

My rewrite is that you can reduce The Phantom Menace to 30-40 minutes. Either make it a flashback interspersed throughout the narrative or do it as a prologue, like how Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade did a prologue showing him as a youth. Show Obi-Wan finding Anakin. Emphasize the brutality of his slave upbringing. Go full Temple of Doom with it. Show that his mother is the only person he has around whom he can actually trust to protect him, thus making the separation from her as a child more traumatic. Keep it so that they win his freedom in a racing bet. Then show that the Council agrees to train him only reluctantly, and even then, only because of his innate Force potential and this ancient prophecy.

10 years later, civil war is brewing with the Separatist faction. Chancellor Valorum wishes to avoid war, but his main opponent, Senator Palpatine, believes that war is inevitable. Make it so that the audience should see Valorum as Neville Chamberlain and Palpatine as Winston Churchill, thus making the reveal an even bigger shock. In reality, of course, Palpatine contrived this whole scenario to be elected Chancellor. The rest of the film more or less proceeds the same way Attack of the Clones already does, with one exception. The mother should still die about halfway through Episode II, which in this scenario, would be the war film. Also, importantly, Padmé isn’t with Anakin when his mother dies, which means she doesn’t know what he’s truly capable of until he’s irrevocably turned.

It’s a minor tweak, but I think it improves the flow of the trilogy (and of Anakin’s character arc) significantly, while avoiding some of the repetitive plot elements that weighed down the trilogy.

18. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Actually revealing all in the first movie would make the others predictable and dull. Practically nothing would happen. In Fellowship of the ring is not that at all. We know that Frodo must go to Mordor but not alone. In the end of the movie the fellowship that is the center of the mission is broken and its guide and its real center is apparently gone forever. The big war that is the second line of the story happens in the two next installments not to mention that Gondor, the cricial place in the story, appears practically in the last installment. So is not the case, nor in FOTR, either is here. Actually is not even in the OT because the emperor as such appears in second installment and changes the game.
    So why is important to show TPM?
    First, to show Anakin as innocent child .When the PT were made all the six pieces of the story mattered for Lucas as the opposition is Anakin/Vader not Anakin from first vs. Anakin from last movie, this is only half of the journey. Second, we see the republic still in its vigor, in the beginning of its decay but when the latter is almost invisible. This is the situation that the Rebel Alliance wanted to come back, the real republic. The innocence and purity of that times are transferred on screen through the "child-ness of the story (including the too young queen and the naive Jar Jar).
    The whole idea of the phantom menace is actually established in the first movie. Is the way that the Republic would be changed, from inside, as the Roman Republic would be changed. Honestly speaking I do not see any advantage of showing this as conflict in the Senate between two real leaders even for the mere reason that that will show that the democracy is still working and this is not the case at all, not to mention how this simplifies the story between the good and the bad political leader (metaphorically speaking). Is not the case of the Clone wars at all. There are two bad leaders who secretly work in alliance and the good are in their way to the big trap.

19. BloodyCaligula

Dec 11, 2018
    @Tonyg Let’s just unpack one element of your post to show why things aren’t as simple as you make them out to be. You say that Lucas made Padmé an elected child queen to show the innocence of the time, when actually that’s not true at all. Allow me to explain:

Two characters define the events of the prequel trilogy- Anakin and Palpatine. Palpatine was to rise to power before the end of the first film and become Chancellor. Anakin was to marry his one true love before the end of the second film. The mechanism for both these events was the same thing- the assassination of Padmé. Her death, or near-death, would allow Palpatine to receive a strong sympathy vote to be elevated to Chancellor, and because she survived, Anakin would be made her personal bodyguard, to begin the path to courtship. But because Palpatine’s rise to power could not be delayed to the second film, and because Anakin as a 9-year-old boy was not a Jedi, not a bodyguard, and a little young to begin courting anybody, Lucas had to introduce a second peril in order to justify the sympathy vote.

But the problem was that in the first film, Padmé was only a child, remember, not a Senator, so that was not going to work. She had to be someone of great importance, but who could it be? Well, a child leader would make sense in a system with hereditary leadership, and Princess Leia’s involvement in the Imperial Senate showed there was no reason that she couldn’t serve in both roles…but there was one fly in the ointment. Leia could be in the Senate because her mother, the Queen, who was part of Leia’s backstory before the first film was even made, was off ruling Alderaan while she was in the Senate. If Padmé was in the Senate, it means that somebody else is off ruling Naboo. Otherwise, she would be neglecting her people by being on Coruscant. Thus, you would need to have more members of the royal family around, which would only complicate the plot even further and leave the audience to question either why these great leaders weren’t there to help save their world or why Padmé’s so great if she’s willing to abandon her responsibilities to someone less capable.

This would lead to a decision that would get Lucas a lot of criticism. She’s not royalty in the second film because her time as ruler is over. Therefore, the position of Queen would be an elected one. Given that it also involved the electing of a child to the role…well, you can understand why people might take issue with the logic of that.

But, as you can see, Lucas had no choice. Anything else would either require scrapping his ideas and starting over or structuring things as is and hoping that if he glosses over the details, it won’t bother people much. Writing a work as complicated as the prequel trilogy was akin to mapping out a game of chess by playing both sides but without touching any of the pieces until you’ve already figured out every move that is going to be made. Perhaps his game will require one player to make a deliberately foolish move, and, if so, that’s not ideal, but recalculating the whole game was just time he didn’t have.

But now that you can see all the mechanisms there, you can see this rather strange connection. Naboo elects child queens for limited terms. Why? Because Lucas chose to set the entirety of the first film when Anakin was 9 years old. It doesn’t sound connected, but once you line up all the dominoes, you can easily see how knocking over the first knocks over the last. Much like Leia being made Luke’s sister, it wasn’t part of a grand plan. It was simply the best option Lucas had out of a whole lot of bad options.

20. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    I never understood the issue people have with Naboo electing child leaders. Firstly, it's fantasy. Secondly, there is a perfect rationale that people would desire someone pure and uncorrupted to lead. Plus it's not like the child leaders receive no guidance either, as we witnessed in TPM.

21. BloodyCaligula

Dec 11, 2018
    Well, if it’s fantasy, why not just have all the Jedi start flying around like Superman? After all, it’s fantasy.

And no, I don’t want a 14-year-old in charge of my planet. Since when are 14-year-olds known for making good decisions? If you can’t drive, vote, or buy alcohol, then you can’t make decisions for me. Sorry.

22. boonjj

Jan 21, 2016
    Because that isnt consistent with the world as its set up nor would it nessescarily contribute to making the world more interesting.

Firstly, you could ask that same question of adults. Adults in position of power often make terrible choices and are corrupt.

Secondly, the young in Naboo go through training programs for the exact purpose of going into politics. Children of our world are not the same as the children of the fantasy world of Naboo.

Thirdly, as I've already stated, the Queen still receieves guidance from elders, as we witnessed in the films.

I don't recall any of that being noted in the films.

Have you evidence that the young of Naboo cannot do any of these things?

Also, child rulers have actually existed, and they did make decisions for people like you.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Yes, I don't understand why people object to child leaders in the fantasy world of Star Wars, but they don't object to things like Harry Potter where the children are without fail the only people brave and competent enough to save the world, while the adults around them are almost uniformly either stupid, oblivious, or incapable. Nor do they object to comic book worlds like Batman where athletic eleven-year-olds are able to hit the streets and fight adult criminals and supervillains alongside adult heroes with advanced abilities.

I think it's because there's this large strain of the fanbase which still doesn't want to admit that Star Wars is, at its heart, a fantasy for children.

If Batman is a fantasy where adolescent sidekicks make sense, why not just have Batman start flying around like Superman? Totally logical point, right?

e: Also, not to get too political here, but I'd literally--one hundred percent not joking--trust my thirteen-year-old sister to run the United States better than the current occupant of the White House. For one thing, she functions at an objectively higher reading level.

24. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    I didn't say it would be "bad", only breaking SW traditions, or "rules". And anyway, how would they have done that technically? By the time of TPM, Hayden had, as far as I know, not even been cast as the older Anakin in AOTC. So how could they have included the actor when they made TPM? Was he even an actor then? I know he had a small role in that John Carpenter movie, but I don't think Lucas had any plans to cast him for AOTC when TPM was made in 1997 or 1998. The only way would have been to choose yet another actor, and they could not even have chosen one who looks like Hayden, since Hayden was not yet considered, as I said. No, it simply would not have worked.
    You simply can't compare those two trilogies. The original SW was not meant to be the middle part of a saga, it worked well enough on its own. So naturally the main characters HAD to be established within that film. Had it not been such a huge hit there would not have been any sequels. Lucas and most other involved at some point believed the movie would be a complete failure. Unexpectedly, it was a surprise success. Sure, Lucas may have had a vague larger story in mind, but he simply could not have continued that story if the first one had not been accepted. Studios would have refused to finance a sequel.
    Now LOTR was ALWAYS meant to be a trilogy. They even made all 3 movies pretty much simultaneously. And remember the movies are based on very popular books? So the story was there already, for about half a century before the movies were made, unlike SW. Nobody ever heard of Luke Skywalker before, but everyone (well, fantasy fiction fans at least) knew Frodo, Sam and Sauron.
    Exactly! Also, who defines at what age you are a "child"? In medieval Europe (and other cultures) "children" got married. Juliet was only 13 (or 12?) when her parents arranged her marriage. The last emperor of China was not even 10. I'm sure there are other examples in history. And yes, I also believe it's possible a specific 14-year old is capable (meaning not EVERY teenager would be) of making wiser decisions than a power-hungry 70-year old geezer. It depends on the individual, not on age. Padmé was elected because she was already known to be wise and uncorrupt. She didn't just inherit her position as queen, she was actually elected by the people of Naboo. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Also, as has been pointed out, it's made very clear that there is an entire adult council supporting Padme in her rulership. Padme herself is obviously a child prodigy and no doubt very educated, certainly more educated than the average adult, but in any cases where her knowledge may be deficient, she can turn to her advisors. As far as her judgment goes, I would again point out that a simple glance at the news these days will reveal just how "mature" and "wise" most full-grown adults in positions of power really are. An uncommonly smart and mature teenager could hardly do worse in the real world we actually live in, let alone in the fictional world of Star Wars.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to a future thread questioning the validity of the premise of Doogie Howser, M.D.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018