main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends An Alliance at Alida's (L/M) ~ Part the 15th -A Pledge and a Promise (update 3-9)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ginchy: Thanks for this wonderful continuation to brighten my day!

Thank you, my friend! I?m trying to keep it light and banter-y, but you never now. Moods might change. For now, though, they?re having fun.:D

TnTornado: LOL I'll say lifes never boring with them!!!

Thank you! It?s true, isn?t it? Luke?s the biggest trouble magnet in the galaxy.:rolleyes:

Jade_eyes: I like Alida and Bruno. This is fun. Can't wait to see how things develop.

Thanks! I like them too. And I have plans for them. I hope you?ll like their personalities as they unfold.:)

Magehound: that was just too cute, divapilot! I like that you actually introduced the Alida that the bar is named after. And a Twi'lek, too... Twi'leks are hot...lol something about the lekku, or maybe the blue skin...

Thanks! She?s a Twi?lek, she?s hot, she?s blue ? but you can?t always judge a holobook by its slip-casing.[face_shame_on_you]

Jedi Trace: I really like your OCs here. I hope we see more of them in the future.

Thank you, Trace! Alida and Bruno are sticking around. I like them too much.[:D]

After the two had left, Mara placed her chin in her hand. ?If I didn?t know better, I?d swear you set that up to make me feel too guilty to say no to another date.?

?So you?ll go out with me again?? he teased.

LOVED that!!

It was unintentional on Luke?s part, but, hey, it worked.[face_dancing]

RedGold: Thanks! I?m glad you?re enjoying this. Wonder what ?C? words I?ll be dealing with. Carnivore? Catastrophe? Culinary?

Jade_pilot: I really like how you have continued the story using the 'B' words AND you made it work, perfectly. Your OCs are great! I really like Alida and her bartender husband, the poetry writer. (LOL)

Thanks, JP! They?re fun to write. They have a lot to say, too. :D

Dare I ask you to continue the story with the SAT words? I just hope she combines some of the letters such as Q, X and Z, otherwise: "Zaney zitherers zoomed into the zoo-like establishment..."

Zounds! That would be awful! But I already checked about that in the Wordy Fic Challenge thread and Alley assured me that she would combine the weird letter words so we won?t have any x-rayed xenophobic xylophonists. I?ve got the story roughly mapped out through the end of the alphabet.

Blue_Milkshake: Aw, I like Alida.

She?s a hoot. I hear her with an Italian accent, and I picture Alida?s Restaurant to be the classic Italian restaurant.

Will we perhaps get a glimpse of the second date? I promise not to intrude too much--wouldn't want to have to face Bruno!

Bruno is a big teddy bear ? unless you?re rude to his friends or worse, disrespectful to his lady.[face_beatup] Thank you for reading!

2. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Please forgive my irritating double post, but my computer is giving me fits about posting lately. I thought I had it beaten by posting a little bit then editing in the rest, but now I can't even do that. So here are the rest of the thank you's!

[b]Arwen_Djo: [/b] [i] These are both great. I can't believe you managed to get all of those word into it. [/i]

Thanks! It?s a little like flying on instruments-only ? I know where this wants to go, but the words are going to have to dictate the details. It?s an interesting way to write, believe me!

[b]Jade_Lotus: [/b] [i] Love the first chapter - Luke and Mara calmly and rationally discussion a progression from their friendship into a relationship. Nice and unique.

He smiled slowly again. ?You have no idea what to make of me. I set you off-balance.?

Great observation from Luke there! [/i]

Thank you! And he?s right, isn?t he?

[i] Loved the Twi'lek couple, and hope to see more of them. Would you be able to PM me when you update so I don't miss it? [/i]

Absolutely! They?ll be back, rest assured!

[b]Jedi-2B:[/b] [i]I meant to reply after part one, but just didn't get to it. I'm really loving this so far! I don't think I could ever work in all those words into a fic, especially as well as you did. Are you going to try to continue the entire fic with the word challenges? Z = zippadeedooda, L/M are officially a couple! [/i]

LOL! Thank you! I?ll see if I can get zippity-doo-dah in anyway.

~*~*~

I?m flattered that people are interested enough in this Series of Fortunate Events to request a PM! Let me know if you?d like to be added to this list:

TnTornado
    Jade_Lotus

School starts in a week and I may be slower to post, but I?ll get to it. Or else Bruno will pay my muse a visit.[face_wink]

>

3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    What a cool fic, divapilot! I love your Luke/Mara interactions and you use the challenge words very well. the talk seems climical at times, but you make that part of the story.

He leaned in toward her. ?Mara, you are the most interesting person I?ve ever met. Ever since the Death Star, I?ve been dealing with people who have their preconceived ideas about who I am. Their ideas could fill an anthology. It ranges from thinking I?m a hero, worthy of blind adulation, to believing I?m some strange mystic. With you, though, it?s different.?

?Oh really? And why is that?? she demanded.

He smiled slowly again. ?You have no idea what to make of me. I set you off-balance.?

this was my favorite section, partially because Luke gets the drop on Mara. Good work, diva. You also add some great character insights into Luke and Mara. Luke seems to help Mara discover more of herself as Mara did for him in VOTF.

Bravo!

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: Is the series gonna continue with the C Words? We gotta lot of alphaeet to cover. :) ;) And I can't wait to see what happens on the next date. :D

5. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Presenting:

An Alliance at Alida?s ~ Part 3. A Classification Crisis

(Thank you, Jedi Trace, for the very helpful beta! @};- )

?Ah! You?re here!? Alida held out her arms in welcome as Luke entered the restaurant. ?It?s been too long. How have you been??

Luke hugged her gently. ?I?m fine, Alida. Thanks for letting me come in to talk with you,? he said.

They took a circuitous route around the white-cloth draped tables toward the small office in the back. At this early hour, the restaurant was quiet.

?My pleasure! I?m so glad to see you again. Look what we?ve set up: your own private dining alcove.? Alida laughed and gestured toward a recess near the general dining area. ?We had to reroute some conduit, but it worked. After all, at our restaurant, creating the best for our friends is our credo.?

They reached the office, where Alida, the consummate hostess, motioned for Luke to take a chair. She sat behind her desk and retrieved a datapad. ?Now, Luke, how can I help you??

?Mara?s coming in next week. I want to make a special night for her,? he explained. The evening could be the catalyst to a long-term relationship, so it had better be perfect, he thought.

Alida smiled sweetly. ?Naturally. She is a special friend, is she not? We will make her very happy. Now, let?s plan the evening.? She switched on the datapad and tapped the stylus on her chin. ?What is your lady friend?s favorite wine??

Luke frowned. He?d seen her once with some Whyren?s Reserve special whiskey, but the bottle on the floor was empty at the time, a souvenir of a night?s carouse with the [i]Wild Karrde [/i] crewmates. That wasn?t right for a romantic date. Did she even drink wine? he wondered. Wait, she had a wine when they were at Alida?s last time. ?Bruno knows,? Luke stammered.

?Very well,? Alida answered. She made a note on her datapad. ?What is her favorite color? I?ll put out special linens,? she offered.

Luke stopped. She seemed to wear lots of black, but that dress she wore to dinner was green. He smiled to himself. Mara looked good in that dress. It was green, wasn?t it? He looked at Alida, a bewildered expression on his face.

Alida filled in the pause. ?We?ll go back to that,? she said, patting his hand in a consolatory gesture. She made another note. ?What kind of flowers does she like??

Flowers? Mara? Luke panicked. He had a fleeting vision of her assuming a combative stance, tearing off the buds with her teeth, and attacking someone with the thorny stems. Flowers for Mara? he blinked uncontrollably.

Alida huffed. She tapped a cadence with her stylus, set the datapad back on the desk and narrowed her gaze. ?You really don?t know much about this lady friend of yours, do you?? Her voice, tinged with mild castigation, made him look away, embarrassed.

Luke was becoming cognizant of the situation. He had invited Mara back to Alida?s, and he didn?t even know any details about her -- a serious problem that threatened to develop into a full-blown calamity. ?I guess not. I?m really sorry,? he said, his voice contrite.

?Don?t worry. You take your time and find these things out, then you come back and we?ll set everything up,? Alida said.

Luke frowned and considered this unexpected conundrum. Was it true, what Alida said? He didn?t know much about Mara? He needed to amend the situation, and fast.

?All right,? Luke said resignedly. He rose and thanked her, then left the office.

?Han?s not here right now,? Leia said, her voice muffled by the hairclips in her mouth. Jaina squirmed in front of her. ?Hold still!?

Luke watched the two of them with mild interest. ?Could I ask you a question, then? It?ll just take a minute.?

Leia pinned up another lock of Jaina?s hair as the girl scowled. ?Okay, but make it quick. We need to be at the assembly in an hour, and this one--? Leia placed another hair pin ?--is making it difficult.?

Jaina wailed, and Leia stepped back, clearly annoyed. ?Enough drama, young lady. You make this sound like you?re facing a >

6. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, this just gets better and better! :D =D=

Love all the cameos this time around (see, I can use 'c' words, too! [face_laugh]) Leia and Jaina were perfect, and I do think it was Jaina who had the best advice of all. You're doing a terrific job with all these words lady! Keep up the excellent work! [:D]

7. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Loved that part.

This fic is just wonderful. I love how Luke is trying to make the date perfect for Mara.

Could I be on the PM list, if there is one?

Great story, can't wait for more.

jacky

8. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    That was amazing. You've captured their dynamic so well, the mix of humorous banter, affection and bits of reservation that pretty much defines L/M. Mara's usual dry wit was a riot. Loved Luke's line about their relationship not being like business.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I really enjoyed this, diva! [:D] [:D]
    Luke does need to be himself & Mara definitely isn't like your typical lady, but he can't overlook the fact that maybe she might like the flowers and wine treatment. She probably hasn't had enough of it with the right person to know one way or another. [face_thinking]

I wonder what Luke's ideas were. :D :D
    I agree with ginchy: the cameos were great! ;)

10. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Oh, these have all be amazing divapilot =D= =D=, but poor Luke, he is in for it but I think that Jaina's advice would work for the best. And now I hope that everything will work for Luke and Mara.

11. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Oh, I can't wait to see what happens here!!

And yes Luke, be yourself... if only most people took that advice!

12. Kinderriegel

Kinderriegel Jedi Master star 1

Dec 18, 2005
    :D this is so much fun to read. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

13. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I agree with the others - this just keeps getting better with each post. Can't wait for the actual date. Will Luke be dauntless in his desire or dazed with depression? Will the evening be dazzling or a debacle? Will they dance or just dawdle at the dining table? Aren't you glad I have no idea what the next 'd' words are, and that I didn't go past 'de' in the dictionary? :p

14. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I can just see Luke dropping a side of bantha on the table for Mara. [face_laugh] Though in the next post it would have to be dewback.

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    I love this chapter!! :D

Luke rolled his eyes. Turning to Chewie, he asked, ?How did you win over Mala??

Chewie barked.

?Food? That?s it? That?s all??

Chewie barked again.

?I can?t just throw a side of bantha down to impress her,? Luke complained.

Oh, the mental image that brings! :eek: [face_laugh]

Ghent considered his answer. ?Hmm. She doesn?t like stuffed animals,? he finally announced solemnly.

[face_laugh] Too funny!! Excellent reference back to "Advice."

Can?t wait to see what Luke has in mind? [face_thinking]

16. divasister

divasister Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2006
    ?I?ll bet that any man you didn?t like would feel about as welcome as an anarchist at a political rally.?

What the heck does that mean??? Obviously, you're the smarter one in the family! As usual, another clever, funny and entertaining piece of work! Maybe you should think about writing for SAT's??? Nah, it would be a waste of your talent.:D

Great job Diva [face_good_luck]

17. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Every post is better than the last! What is amazing is how you use all the words and the fic doesn't come out sounding like a word challenge at all. I'm so glad you're continuing with this story, but leaving us with that cliffie...sister pilot, we need to talk! ;)

Bravo!!! =D=

18. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks for the PM! Loved all the 'c' words :D

Wonderful to see Leia and Jaina having normal mother-daughter issues - I can see Jaina not wanting to have her hair done. Loved Han and Chewie - it was great to see them interact together and with Luke, and then Ghent and Talon was the icing on the cake! I always love to see a bit of Talon.

19. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005

Brodiew: You also add some great character insights into Luke and Mara. Luke seems to help Mara discover more of herself as Mara did for him in VOTF.

Thank you! They?ll learn that they have more to learn.;)

Ginchy: Love all the cameos this time around (see, I can use 'c' words, too!) Leia and Jaina were perfect, and I do think it was Jaina who had the best advice of all. You're doing a terrific job with all these words lady! Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks! It?s fun, like a big puzzle. I get the basic idea, then tweak the details. And I loved having all the gang there. Glad I got the characterizations right!:)

Jackyyy17: I love how Luke is trying to make the date perfect for Mara.

He?s trying, but it?s not easy.o_O

ZebulaNebula: That was amazing. You've captured their dynamic so well, the mix of humorous banter, affection and bits of reservation that pretty much defines L/M. Mara's usual dry wit was a riot. Loved Luke's line about their relationship not being like business.

Thanks! I appreciate that! It?s always give and take with those two.[:D]

Jade_Eyes: Luke does need to be himself & Mara definitely isn't like your typical lady, but he can't overlook the fact that maybe she might like the flowers and wine treatment. She probably hasn't had enough of it with the right person to know one way or another.

Thanks! I?m so glad you?re enjoying this. Luke needs to think about what Mara wants, not what he wants. And you have a good point about the romancing.@};-

Star_Angel: poor Luke, he is in for it but I think that Jaina's advice would work for the best. And now I hope that everything will work for Luke and Mara.

Jaina?s a smarty. Is Luke wise enough to listen to little voices? There?s a lot of alphabet left for all kinds of developments! [face_dancing] Thank you so much your reply.

RedGold: Oh, I can't wait to see what happens here!! And yes Luke, be yourself... if only most people took that advice!

Thanks! Yes, it?s always best to be yourself. Lying is just too darn complicated.:p

Kinderriegel: this is so much fun to read. I can't wait to find out what happens next. Thank you for sharing this with us.

My pleasure! Thank you for the comments. :)

Jedi_2B: Will Luke be dauntless in his desire or dazed with depression? Will the evening be dazzling or a debacle? Will they dance or just dawdle at the dining table? Aren't you glad I have no idea what the next 'd' words are, and that I didn't go past 'de' in the dictionary?

I?m delighted. Let?s see if it?s desire or detonation. [face_dancing] Thanks!

RebelMom: I can just see Luke dropping a side of bantha on the table for Mara. Though in the next post it would have to be dewback.

True; she much prefers dewback. Maybe Chewie?s suggestion wasn?t too helpful. Thank you for stopping in!O:)

Jedi Trace: I love this chapter!! Can?t wait to see what Luke has in mind?

Thanks for picking up on the reference back to ?Advice!? Luke?s got something special up his sleeve. We?ll have to wait for the date!;) Thank you for the kind reply.

Divasister: ?I?ll bet that any man you didn?t like would feel about as welcome as an anarchist at a political rally.?

What the heck does that mean??? Obviously, you're the smarter one in the family!

Oh, baby sis, are you insinuating that I fell in the deeper end of the gene pool? Have you seen our gene pool lately? Could use a good skimming?[face_alien_1]

As usual, another clever, funny and entertaining piece of work! Maybe you should think about writing for SAT's???

Thanks, Sweetie! And I?m very happy right here.:D

Jade_Pilot: What is amazing is how you use all the words and the fic doesn't come out sounding like a wor

20. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    This is my favorite one so far! [face_dancing] If I quoted all the lines I like best, the whole viggie would be here. Luke's vision of Mara and flowers was hillarious. I loved the Ghent reference about stuffed animals.

21. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Blue_Milkshake: Thank you very much! I'm glad you like this.

[b]Presenting~

[i]An Alliance at Alida's: Part 4:

A Disconcerting Debate[/i][/b]

Thank you, Jedi_Trace, for the wonderful beta!

[hr]

?This is the place, huh?? Han said, running his hand along the carved dark wood paneling. Diffused lighting gave the establishment a comfortable atmosphere. ?Nice. I?d almost think you developed taste somewhere, Luke.?

?You expected some drab, barely-legal cantina, the kind that you and Chewie made famous?? Luke replied, smiling. The two men sat at the end of the bar as the bartender looked up from his stocking duties.

Bruno?s face lit up. ?Luke! ?Bout time you showed up. Your dinner reservation is all Alida can talk about these days.?

Han shot a questioning look at Luke. ?You actually made plans? Last I heard you were asking everyone how to impress a woman.? Han leaned his arm against the bar top. ?So, Kid, who?s the lucky lady??

?Mara Jade,? Luke said simply.

Han whistled. ?Aim high. That?s what I like about you, Luke.?

?Look, Han, she means a lot to me. I?ve waited a long time to meet someone like her, and I want this to work out,? Luke replied.

Han raised an eyebrow. ?May the Force be with you, then. You?re gonna need it.?

Luke chuckled. The two men looked up as Bruno approached. ?Can I get you gentlemen anything in particular?? He glanced at Han. ?Corellian ale, General Solo??

?Sure, sounds good. And it?s Han ? I gave up the ?General? title some time ago, and I have a permanent deferment for any future commissions.?

Bruno held out a beefy hand. ?Bruno Maritin. Pleased to meet you.?

?Pleasure?s mine,? Han said, accepting his drink. ?I hear that you?re a master bartender,?

?Actually, I?m a grand master bartender.? Bruno pointed to a shining certificate displayed over the bar well. ?Only four grand masters ever graduated from my college, and I?m one,? he declared.

Han considered this. ?What?s the difference between a master and a grand master?? he asked.

Bruno smiled. ?Anyone can be a master. That?s just technique: knowing what tonics to mix, what garnishes to add, what to ignite. But a grand master doesn?t just sling drinks; he helps people solve their problems.?

?What college has a degree in bartending?? Luke asked, intrigued.

?Darned if I know,? Bruno said. ?I got my degree in psychotherapy. I left my practice to move here with Ali and stayed on when her first bartender quit. Still, only four of us from my old college ever became grand master bartenders.?

?Grand master,? Luke repeated quietly. ?I like that concept.? He mentally filed the information away for another time.

Han gestured as he spoke. ?Still, being a therapist has to help in this job. After all, this is where people come to drown their sorrows.?

Bruno shrugged and continued to polish the beverage cooler. ?If someone needs help, I help. Most of the time, though, they just want someone to listen to them.? Bruno looked up. ?I don?t like to be didactic. Most people come in here with their decisions already made, or else they?re in situations that they can?t control. Preaching to them doesn?t help.?

?But what if they?re making the wrong decisions?? Luke asked. ?Here?s an example. Suppose someone was, say, wasting a talent. Wouldn?t you try to get them to change their behavior for their own good??

Bruno frowned. ?I?d have to ask who?s deciding what?s right here: you, or the person you want to change? Is it really your place to determine such a thing??

?It is if you know what you?re talking about,? Luke countered. ?You?re just trying to help them, right?

?Have you considered that there may be deleterious outcomes to such actions?? Bruno said. ?There may be events or conditions at play that you aren?t aware of that cause this person to behave in such a way. There might be prior conditioning, societal constraints might discourage it--?

?--She might find it really, really annoying,? Han mumbled. Luke glared at his friend.

?Why is it so important to you t>

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I'm still amazed how you can use all the words & it seems so natural! :) :)
    Great debate between Luke & Bruno. Bruno's points are well thought out & I agree with a lot of them.
    But Luke also has a point: even though there are many roads to learning certain things, if you don't have some formal guidance, not in technique, necessarily, but in philosophy, you could make all kinds of wrong conclusions and choices. Not to say that Mara doesn't have scruples, or that persons with formal training can turn Sithly ... but a Jedi needs to maximize the help they give and minimize the harm they do, and be able to know when & how to use their gifts. [face_thinking] I'm certainly of a mind to agree that some darkness lurks within and must be sublimated or eliminated if possible, but to say there's actually no external or absolute evil out there ... as Vergere does ... that can lead one to justify all kinds of heinous and atrocious things. Now I'm weighing in on the debate. :D Interesting to see how this will affect the course of L/M's relationship. Perhaps, now, Luke won't try to be so forcefully persuasive (even in a verbal way). Mara's certainly not the type to like to be coerced or told what's best for her. :p Hmmm. The upcoming dinner's REALLY going to be fascinating to watch unfold, like it wasn't already? [face_laugh]

23. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    I'm with Han.. that WAS fun! :p

24. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Perfect! =D=

How fun was that chapter? :D I loved Han, but Bruno just took the cake. Luke's always got to have someone knock a bit of sense into him, doesn't he? ;) The Grand Master bit had me cracking up! [face_laugh]

I'm so excited for this dinner now... but we have a lot of alphabet left to go! Course, next letter is E... but I doubt one of the words would be so simple as eat. [face_laugh]

25. tasujad

tasujad Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    jep i concour, Bruno is GOOD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.