main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends An Alliance at Alida's (L/M) ~ Part the 15th -A Pledge and a Promise (update 3-9)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    walker-of-minds: Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying it. And here is the next chapter!

With thanks again to my wonderful beta, Jedi_Trace. [face_rose]

[b]Presenting:

[i]An Alliance at Alida's, Part 6: A Fervent Fondness[/i][/b]

White linens and a single blue lily adorned the table. In his attempt to avoid a florid, overwrought appearance, Luke had asked Alida for minimal decorations; he hoped Mara wouldn?t find the decor too plain. To his relief, Mara smiled when she saw their table, commenting that star lilies were a favorite of hers. They ordered their meals and talked of various things, and their facile conversation seemed to relax Mara as the evening continued.

Too soon, the dinner was over. As they chatted over dessert, Luke realized that the evening was coming to a close. This was a chance to spark a real romance from this felicitous friendship.

He breathed deeply, drawing on the Force slightly to buttress his fortitude and calm his nerves. Mara, aware of his sudden anxiety, slowly put her teacup down. ?Mara,? he began, ?I know you?re leaving again in a few days, and you won?t be here for Life Day.?

She snorted. ?It?s just another frivolous holiday. I never really celebrated it. Besides, I?ll be so busy that I won?t even miss it.?

Luke shifted in his seat. The evening was almost over, and he only had a finite amount of time to say what he wanted. ?Holidays can matter, if you have someone to share them with,? he remarked.

Mara raised an eyebrow suspiciously. ?Why the sudden sentimentality? That never bothered you before, Skywalker.?

He shrugged sheepishly. ?I never really thought about it before, but I want to change that now. I want to give you a gift ? for Life Day, that?s all.? He produced a small box and placed it on the table.

Mara stared at the box for a moment, then reached for it. When she opened the box and looked inside, a small gasp escaped her. ?Oh, Luke. You shouldn?t have spent so much.?

?There?ll be other times to be frugal. I wanted you to have it.? He watched her reaction to the gift. ?It reminded me of you,? he added quietly.

She took the necklace out of the box and held it up against the light to examine it. ?This is jade, isn?t it?? she asked.

He nodded. ?Jade has many different appearances, but it?s all precious and beautiful. I found a jeweler who designed this for me.?

Mara placed the strand around her neck. The length was, as the jeweler had promised, perfect.

Luke held his breath, waiting for her trademark flippancy, but it didn?t come. Instead, she slowly examined the necklace.

She paused at one particular bead that glimmered with a feral intensity among the rest. ?What is this one?? she asked.

?It?s called glowjade,? he answered. ?It symbolizes fidelity. It?s extremely rare.? He continued quietly. ?When you find a jade like that, you shouldn?t try to overpower it. It shines with a beauty all its own.?

At his words, she looked at him intently, letting the beads slide across her fingers. Mara touched the necklace again. ?Thank you, Luke. It?s lovely.? Her expression grew worried. ?I didn?t get you anything.?

?Yes, you did,? he said. ?You came here tonight and enjoyed yourself. I don?t need anything more.?

She sat quietly for a long time, long enough that Luke began worrying that the evening had failed somehow. Had he been presumptuous? Did she think the necklace was unsophisticated? Or worse, maybe she thought the gesture was fallacious, and he was using it to mislead her into rushing into the relationship? He tentatively reached out with his senses and discovered, to his surprise, her own strong feelings swirling around her.

Finally she slowly stood up, still touching the necklace. ?That was the most thoughtful gift I?ve ever received,? she whispered.

Luke stood up in response, unsure of himself. He felt that the gift had been well-received, but one stupid remark could ruin the evening, and all they had achieved tonight would dissolve like fission into the air.

Mara picked up the lily from the table>

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    It IS romantic!!

*hands Mush Crown back to Diva*

:D

[:D] [face_dancing] :* [face_love]

How much did I love this chapter?! I love the necklace... Way to go, Luke! And that gentle little kiss... *fans self*

This is terrific, lady. YOU are terrific!

:D

Great chapter! =D=

3. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Very romantic! Luke's gift was just perfect. [face_love]

How far down the alphabet will this story continue?

4. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Aw, the romance. I love it.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    That Luke had the necklace specially made, that it's rare and beautiful... that makes it priceless. [face_love]
    That they shared a kiss and basked in the lily's fragrance together ... :) :)
    You brought a sense of gentle sweetness, magic tenderness to this evening. I loved it! Speaking of the necklace, Luke's comment about the glowjade's meaning seems to prove he got Bruno's point from a couple chapters ago. :D

Every time I think I can't enjoy this more, I do! :)

[:D]

6. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    ?Thank you, Luke. It?s lovely.? Her expression grew worried. ?I didn?t get you anything.?

?Yes, you did,? he said. ?You came here tonight and enjoyed yourself. I don?t need anything more.?

*huggles Lukie* What a perfect gift, and I too, am glad (and proud!) Mara didn't give in to her usual flippancy. Excellent, understated mush and what is, i'm sure the beginning of something serious.

7. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I just found this fic today! Wonderful story! I am such a sucker for L/M romances. I love how you are writing these two. I wish the profics gave them a courtship. :(

Great job!

AG88

8. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Sigh. *melts* [face_love]

9. verybusy

verybusy Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 18, 2006
    *delurks* Oh this was.... beautiful! [:D]

I know, this is going to deserve a more thoughtful comment, but reading things like this leave me rather silent, just because I like them too much! [face_blush]

cheers,

VeryBusy

10. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Oh, very romantic!!!

*sighs*

11. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    Great update, I liked how Luke was extremely worried about saying the wrong thing. Description of the necklace was good as well.

TnTornado

12. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Perfect! I absolutely love it!

Melt into mush moment:

?It?s called glowjade,? he answered. ?It symbolizes fidelity. It?s extremely rare.? He continued quietly. ?When you find a jade like that, you shouldn?t try to overpower it. It shines with a beauty all its own.?

Oh, baby...I have to sit down a minute. Wonderful sister pilot. Just wonderful.

Bravo! =D=

13. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    I have no words [face_love][face_love][face_love]

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    I luuuuuuuurve this chapter!! Such a thoughtful date and that necklace ? *swoon*! [face_love]

And I must say that it is SO nice to see a softer side to Mara - appreciating Luke and, even better, realizing that he sees something in her that others don?t.

I?d say that I couldn?t possibly love this fic more, but you?d make a liar out of me soon enough, I do believe. ;)

[:D] [:D] [:D]

15. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Ginchy: It IS romantic!! *hands Mush Crown back to Diva*

Aw, stop! It?s your tiara. I?m just playing with it.:D

How much did I love this chapter?! I love the necklace... Way to go, Luke! And that gentle little kiss... *fans self*

Thank you! A little romance goes a long way.@};-

Jedi-2B: Very romantic! Luke's gift was just perfect. How far down the alphabet will this story continue?

Thank you! I wasn?t sure if the necklace was too obvious, but hey, it seems to work. And it?s an appropriate gift ? personal but not too intimidating.

As for the story, it goes all the way to Z.;)

RebelMom: Aw, the romance. I love it.

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it.:)

Jade_Eyes: That Luke had the necklace specially made, that it's rare and beautiful... that makes it priceless.

Yes, just like he thinks she is, and just like that relationship.[:D]

You brought a sense of gentle sweetness, magic tenderness to this evening. I loved it! Speaking of the necklace, Luke's comment about the glowjade's meaning seems to prove he got Bruno's point from a couple chapters ago.

Thank you! Yes, Luke?s a fast learner. (at least he was until the Legacy books started!)[face_dancing]

Every time I think I can't enjoy this more, I do!

Thanks!O:)

JadeLotus: What a perfect gift, and I too, am glad (and proud!) Mara didn't give in to her usual flippancy. Excellent, understated mush and what is, i'm sure the beginning of something serious.

Thank you! It?s not exactly canon, but not exactly AU, so I guess I?m creating a courtship for them around the canon. Mara is not always a wise guy. There?s something very passionate about her.[face_love]

AG88: I just found this fic today! Wonderful story! I am such a sucker for L/M romances. I love how you are writing these two. I wish the profics gave them a courtship.

Thank you for reading! The necklace is a central image here, and I got the idea from the illustration on the cover of Rebirth. Mara always seems to have some cool jewelry. As someone who makes jewelry for a hobby, that?s where I was inspired.[face_dancing]

Blue_Milkshake: Thank you!@};-

Verybusy: Thank you! Glad you are enjoying this.:)

RedGold: Thank you!:D

TnTornado: Great update, I liked how Luke was extremely worried about saying the wrong thing.

I noticed that in A New Hope, he kind of takes a ?wait and see? attitude when dealing with the relationships he builds. He?s older and wiser now, but it?s still a part of his personality. Since Mara is so important to him, and he knows how mercurial she can be, he wants to make sure he approaches this right.:)

JadePilot: Perfect! I absolutely love it! Oh, baby...I have to sit down a minute. Wonderful sister pilot. Just wonderful.

Thank you! Glad you liked that! I think Mara got the point.[:D]

Feng_Huang: Thank you so much!:)

Jedi Trace: I luuuuuuuurve this chapter!! Such a thoughtful date and that necklace ? *swoon*!

And I must say that it is SO nice to see a softer side to Mara - appreciating Luke and, even better, realizing that he sees something in her that others don?t.

Trace, I love it when you luuuurve what I write. More romance to come. These two lovebirds are just getting started.[face_love]

16. walker-of-minds

walker-of-minds Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2006
    I HAVE OFFICIALLY MELTED INTO MUSH READING THIS -TRUELY WONDERFUL WRITING.

17. Jedi_Kassandra

Jedi_Kassandra Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    *melts* Wow.

~kass

18. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    walker-of-minds: Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the story. [face_dancing]

Jedi_Kassandra: Thanks! Glad you like it. More mush soon. ;)

(Author's notes: Thank you once again, Jedi_Trace, for the helpful beta.)

[b]Presenting: Part the Seventh [/b]

[i][b]An Alliance at Alida's: A Gentleman's Gallantry[/b][/i]

The broad-shouldered bartender cleared the remains of a garish drink with one hand while collecting the patron?s gratuity with another as a figure approached the bar. Bruno?s gruff demeanor vanished as Luke approached, replaced with a welcoming grin. ?Haven?t seen you around lately. How have you been?? Bruno said.

Luke smiled. ?I?m fine, Bruno. I was in this sector for a meeting, and I wanted to drop in.?

?Any time, my friend. You?re always welcome here.? Bruno produced a bottle from the bar well, holding it out with an inquiring look on his face. Luke acknowledged he was no gourmand, but Han had at least shown him how to select a good ale. He nodded, and Bruno poured a small tumbler full of the light golden liquid.

Bruno genially leaned in, resting his muscular arms on the bar. ?So what?s new?? he asked. ?How?s Mara these days??

?She?s busy working for Karrde.? Luke held the glass up and studied the reflection of the light through its beveled edges. ?I wouldn?t mind if she made more time in her life for some other important things,? he muttered.

Bruno raised an eyebrow. ?Feeling a little neglected, Luke?? he asked teasingly. Luke sensed him hesitating, weighing the potential gravity of his words, as if considering how deeply to probe here.

Luke toyed with the glass, then placed it on the bar. ?Bruno, how long have you known Alida?? he asked suddenly.

?Oh, about twenty years. We?ve been married for sixteen.?

?That?s a long time,? Luke said. ?In your experience, do you think that people know right away when they?ve met the right person, or does it happen over time??

Bruno crossed his arms and leaned back. ?That?s a hard subject to generalize. I think it depends on the individual.?

?Did you know when you met Alida?? Luke pressed.

?Yes, I did,? he said unhesitatingly. ?On the other hand, though, she needed some convincing to feel the same way about me.?

Luke pushed his half-finished glass to the side. ?Mara and I met under less-than-perfect circumstances. It took some time to get over our differences. But once we did, it was if a gargantuan weight had been lifted and I could see her true spirit in the Force, for the first time. She was beautiful, and not just physically.? Luke frowned. It occurred faintly to Luke that he might be rambling, and he hoped his words didn?t sound like gibberish.

Bruno shook his head. ?Luke, you don?t need the Force to fall in love. Trust your heart. Maybe the Force has nothing to do with it.?

Luke thought for a moment. ?How did you and Alida meet??

Bruno came from behind the bar and sat down beside Luke. Luke waited as Bruno sipped from his bottled water. Finally Bruno spoke. ?It was nothing grandiose. We met back in the Imperial days. I had been practicing psychotherapy for a few years when a new Moff decided to turn my homeworld into his private army. I?m no glutton for punishment. I knew eventually I was going to be conscripted, so I left.?

He exhaled, as if choosing his next words. ?We were on the same transit, and we had the same connection to Coruscant. She ran into some trouble during the stopover, and I helped her out. We kind of stuck together for the rest of the ride.? Bruno smiled. ?After we got here, my conscience goaded me into action. I knew I couldn?t let this woman just disappear into the crowd again, like the proverbial lost bantha cub in the grove, so I convinced her to let me visit her at her father?s restaurant. Once she found out I was sincere, she fell for me, too.?

Luke nodded, thankful for Bruno?s gracious honesty. ?Sometimes I think Mara doesn?t think I?m sincere,? Luke said wistfully. ?It?s like she?s taking a wait-and-see approach. When she?s here, we have a>

19. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Woot, Luke's been spurred into action... so what's he gonna do?

20. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    He's gonna give her a big smooch-a-roo! Great job sister pilot! Again, the words just flow and the story is wonderful!

Bravo! =D=

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved Bruno and Alida's story of getting together. :D Fascinating that Bruno knew right off but she took some convincing. :)

That's a delicate balance there with Luke and Mara that you described so well: he wants to be more than just someone she ... hangs out with when she's in town, but of course he doesn't want to crowd out her other interests and talents and her need to have her own career. But he's afraid that if he waits for her to come around to his way of seeing their relationship, it'll just fade. [face_worried] So, in a nutshell, he wants to nurture the relationship without smothering it, or her, but wants to make it clear that she's more than just ... someone to have fun with. In other words, she's permanent soulmate material. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]
    Yummerlicious!! Now, I can't wait for the H installment. :)

22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    [face_love] ooooh, wonderful update!! I love it! I can understand where Luke's coming from, but Bruno's right... she still has her own life. She and Luke both just need to learn how to integrate each other into those separate lives.

I can't wait to see how they do it. Great chapter, lady! :D

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I really like Bruno. He's got some good advice for Luke. It's good to get an outsider look.

24. verybusy

verybusy Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 18, 2006
    Great uptade! I really love this conversation!=D=

[blockquote]Bruno absorbed this information and considered his reply. ?She?s very successful at her work. It?s a safe place for her, emotionally, isn?t it?? he said. ?So why are you jealous of her career??

Luke snorted. ?I?m not jealous.?

Bruno stared doubtfully at him. ?Well, maybe I?m a little unsure of where I stand,? Luke admitted grudgingly.
    [/blockquote]

Bruno is a great character, he is really able to point out the important things. Luke being jealous of Mara's career? Yes, I like that!;)
    I am really curious about how you let get Luke get into action ....

cheers,

VeryBusy

25. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Bruno shook his head. ?Luke, you don?t need the Force to fall in love. Trust your heart. Maybe the Force has nothing to do with it.?

How true! As much as I love Zahn's writing, he could've focused more on the heart and less on the Force bonding as the impetus for their realizing they're in love.

Wonderful post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.