main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends An Alliance at Alida's (L/M) ~ Part the 15th -A Pledge and a Promise (update 3-9)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Great update!

AG88

2. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade VIP star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    ?Luke, do you expect her to forego what she?s accomplished in order to prove she cares about you?? Bruno asked. ?Honestly, could you respect a woman who would want you to focus solely on her, and put everything you dream about on hold??

Bruno speaks wisely. :cool: It reminds me of Bob Dylan's song, "It Ain't Me, Babe". :p But where is Luke off to, I wonder? [face_thinking]

And I'm still amazed at how well you're working all these words in. :eek: :D

3. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Bruno absorbed this information and considered his reply. ?She?s very successful at her work. It?s a safe place for her, emotionally, isn?t it?? he said. ?So why are you jealous of her career??
    Luke snorted. ?I?m not jealous.?
    Bruno stared doubtfully at him. ?Well, maybe I?m a little unsure of where I stand,? Luke admitted grudgingly.

I hope Luke's been tipping Bruno well, because he's been getting a whole lot of free advice. ;)

?Then that?s where you start, Luke. With your heart.?

Woot! Can't wait for the next one!

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Excellent advice from Bruno as usual - especially about Luke being somewhat jealous of Mara's work. And it was lovely to get a bit of backstory on Bruno and Alida's courtship as well - it sounds like Bruno knows exactly what Luke is going through!

Wonderful update!

5. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    great update, like how Luke kinda looked to Bruno for help.

TnTornado

6. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I just caught this story, and I absolutely love it.

And methinks that I'll give you a special treat once you reach the "Z"...

Can you PM me when you update?

Cheers,

Lauré :)

7. divapilot

divapilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    RedGold: Woot, Luke's been spurred into action... so what's he gonna do?

He has to think about this relationship, and how he wants to approach it. Thanks for reading!O:)

Jade_Pilot: He's gonna give her a big smooch-a-roo! Great job sister pilot! Again, the words just flow and the story is wonderful!

Thank you! Ah, maybe a smooch! Maybe he needs to think about what he wants from her, and what he is going to get in return. :*

Jade_Eyes: Loved Bruno and Alida's story of getting together. Fascinating that Bruno knew right off but she took some convincing.

Bruno and Alida had some stereotypes and preconceptions to clear up first, sort of like two other people we know!;)

That's a delicate balance there with Luke and Mara that you described so well: he wants to be more than just someone she ... hangs out with when she's in town, but of course he doesn't want to crowd out her other interests and talents and her need to have her own career. But he's afraid that if he waits for her to come around to his way of seeing their relationship, it'll just fade.

That?s exactly it, Jade_eyes! If he pushes too hard, she?ll check out, but if he doesn?t push at all, she?ll move on.[face_not_talking] Thanks for the thoughtful reply![

Ginchy: ooooh, wonderful update!! I love it! I can understand where Luke's coming from, but Bruno's right... she still has her own life. She and Luke both just need to learn how to integrate each other into those separate lives.

Thanks, Ginchy! These are two people who are rather used to being single. They have to get used to each other first.O:)

RebelMom: I really like Bruno. He's got some good advice for Luke. It's good to get an outsider look.

Bruno?s a keeper. He?s a bit older than Luke, and he?s objective, so he makes a good sounding board for Luke. Thanks for reading! :)

Verybusy: Great uptade! I really love this conversation! Bruno is a great character, he is really able to point out the important things. Luke being jealous of Mara's career? Yes, I like that!

I could see Luke being a little selfish with his need for attention, especially when he is starting the Academy as its first master, and still basking in the war hero status. It would be a bit of a shock to him that perhaps Mara doesn?t need him.[face_whistling] Thanks for your kind reply![

Jedi-2B: As much as I love Zahn's writing, he could've focused more on the heart and less on the Force bonding as the impetus for their realizing they're in love.

Thanks! That?s exactly it! At this point, Luke depends on the Force a little too much. Bruno gently reminds him that people have been falling in love without the Force for a long, long time. [face_love]

Academygrad88: Thank you for reading! :)

Gabri_Jade: Bruno speaks wisely. It reminds me of Bob Dylan's song, "It Ain't Me, Babe". But where is Luke off to, I wonder?

Thanks! Luke?s not off to anywhere special. He?s just gone home to mull over what he?s learned. o_O

And I'm still amazed at how well you're working all these words in.

Thanks! I was asked if I know all the words. I usually know at least half. I write the story, then insert the words (modifying where I need to) when Alley_Skywalker releases the words. Thanks for hanging around!:-B

Blue_Milkshake: I hope Luke's been tipping Bruno well, because he's been getting a whole lot of free advice.

LOL! Bruno and Alida are getting lots of referral business. [face_dancing]

?Then that?s where you start, Luke. With your heart.? Can't wait for the next one!

Thanks! Hopefully, we?ll have the new words soon. Then you can hear Alida?s version of how they met as Alida shares some girl talk with a certain redhead. [face_batting]

JadeLotus: Excellent advice from Bruno as usual - especially abou

8. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    This is a very nice little story so far. You've caught Luke's character very well. And you've done a fine job of integrating the required words from Alley's challenge into the piece without making it all sound artificial. Good stuff (and the fact that you got a non-Mara fan to read something with Mara in it says something :p).

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    leiamoody posted:

This is a very nice little story so far. You've caught Luke's character very well. And you've done a fine job of integrating the required words from Alley's
    challenge into the piece without making it all sound artificial. Good stuff (and the fact that you got a non-Mara fan to read something with Mara in it
    says something
    tongue ).

Hee!!!!!!! So... now it's official. It's not just our biased Mara-loving opinion that this fic rocks. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Hopefully leiamoody will ... be as L/M-centric as we are, from now on. Once the fever hits, you're in all the way: Mara's not one of those characters you can sorta like. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] :)

10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Sorry, nope. Just like I'm not going to turn into a EU lover either. ;)

But I don't let it stop me from reading a good fic. :)

11. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    I just love Bruno! [face_love]

Bruno shook his head. ?Luke, you don?t need the Force to fall in love. Trust your heart. Maybe the Force has nothing to do with it.?

I love that line! He speaks the truth, Luke. Listen to him! ;)

12. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    [face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love]

Aww, so awesome! You have no idea how happy this made me. That's all I need to say.

13. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    leiamoody: Thank you for such kind words! I'm glad you liked this. Worth coming on over for a visit to Beyond, I hope!:cool:

Jedi Trace: Thanks, former master!@};- (*giggles*) Serioously, though, I'm glad my OC are likeable and believeable. It's easy to dismiss Bruno as a muscle-bound brute, but he is very intelligent and has a big heart. And Alida is more than just a pretty ... everything. Sound like anyone else who is more than what other people assume they are like? [face_dancing] [face_love]

Jade_eyes: Thanks for the continuing support! More L/M mush to come, I promise, just not right away. Absence makes the heart grow stronger, right?;)

DancesWithBlasters: I see you found the original fic from the diary! Welcome in. Thank you for your reply, and I'm really glad you enjoyed this.:D

[i]
    Author?s Note: The Wordy Fic Challenge has been put on hiatus, so there are no challenge words in this chapter. When The Wordy Fic Challenge returns, I will resume using the assigned SAT challenge words at the current point of the story.[/i]

[hr]

[b]Presenting:

[i]An Alliance at Alida?s, Part 8: Sisterly Advice [/i] [/b]

(Thank you, Jedi Trace, for the beta![face_rose])

Mara glanced at the various decorations that adorned Alida?s office. ?I hope everything is comfortable,? Alida remarked. ?This is quieter than the general seating area, and we have a private party in your area at the moment.?

?This is perfect, Alida,? Mara said. She gazed at the numerous holos on display. One larger image held a position of honor.

?That?s our wedding holo,? Alida said, noticing Mara?s attention. She passed a teacup and saucer to Mara, then sat down in a comfortable chair behind her desk.

Mara joined her in the adjoining chair. ?It?s lovely. How long have you been married?? she asked.

Alida smiled sweetly. ?Sixteen years. We?d known each other for a few years before we married, though.?

Alida tucked her slender legs underneath her, adjusting the light yellow dress to cover them. She took a lady-like sip before placing the teacup on the desk and reaching for her datapad. ?Mara, I?m so happy you commed. I?d love to set up a luncheon for you and your friend Mirax.?

Mara nodded. ?Thank you. I know she?ll like it here.?

After a pause, Alida shifted in her seat. ?Perhaps there is something else I can help you with?? Alida offered. ?After all, you didn?t need to come in person to make a luncheon reservation.?

Mara?s gaze drifted back to the wedding holo. In the holo, Bruno gently traced the outline of Alida?s cheek as she smiled up at him. [i]They look so natural together, so happy,[/i] Mara thought. ?Maybe there is, Alida.? She sighed and placed her teacup on the desk, next to Alida?s.

Alida quietly placed her stylus on the desk. ?Hmm. Something is troubling you, isn?t it?? Alida asked gently as her brow furrowed. ?Is there something that concerns you about your relationship with Luke, perhaps??

Mara?s eyes widened briefly in surprise at the astuteness of the comment before she quickly reasserted her control of her emotions again. She gnawed absently on the inside of her lip before continuing. ?Luke?s very kind. He?s certainly attractive,? Mara said.

?Yes, that?s true,? Alida agreed. ?He seems to be a fine person, and he is well respected.?

?I know he cares about me, and that having a person care that much about me is very special,? Mara continued slowly. She gesticulated, searching for the words. ?But--? Mara said softly, dropping her hands into her lap.

Alida inclined her head, her small, cupped ears rotating slightly. ?But? All is not well??

Mara sighed. ?He won?t let up. He makes me feel guilty for not being with him all the time.?

Alida nodded knowingly. ?Ah, he gets on your nerves sometimes, doesn?t he?? she laughed.

?Yes!? Mara said, breathing a relieved sigh. ?Everyone I know thinks he?s wonderful, and he is, but--?

?But you need to be certain before you commit to something,? Alida finish>

14. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    *ginchy sneaks in on the stealth*

hee! ;)

Great update here, too, lady! Poor Mara, she's all twitterpated but not sure what to do about it. Most fanfic seems to dwell on what Luke needs to change/do to be with Mara, but I like how you're touching on how Mara will need to give a little, too.

?Then let?s make this luncheon special. After all, there?s nothing more important for a woman than getting to have a nice, long girl talk with a friend.?

Tell it, girlfriend! :D

[:D]

15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Great update! I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship between the two women.

And can't wait to see Mirax! She certainly won't be fussed about offending Mara if she thinks she needs to be told something :D

16. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Alida doesn't beat around the bush. it's good for Mara to hear.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Love Alida's demeanor: warm, gentle, straightforward, but not pushy. :D It's a delicate balance Mara needs to walk: granting Luke the privilege of caring and looking out for her, while keeping independent. You can't enter a romance with no thought or reason at all--but you should never think it to death either. [face_laugh]
    Mirax and Mara--gonna love that convo!!
    But what I'll really really really love--is L/M's next date! [face_love] [face_dancing]

18. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm glad you went ahead and posted a new chapter without waiting on challenge words. :D

Alida is as good at giving out advice as Bruno is. Now Mara will be more open to letting Luke smother her a little, just when Luke is trying to quit smothering her. LOL!

Looking forward to Mara's luncheon with Mirax. I'm sure Mirax faced the same dilemma with Corran at times.

19. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    An update! Thank you, thank you...[:D]

?Things were going so well,? Mara said ruefully. ?We were going to take this logically, like we had agreed in the beginning. We discussed the terms of the relationship and we knew the boundaries we were willing to abide by. We were going to avoid all the messiness of a romance.?

Alida laughed quietly to herself. ?Oh, Mara. Life is messiness. You can?t avoid that.?

Sometimes it's fun to get messy. Go ahead Mara! Jump in the great big mud puddle that is love!!!

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jedi-2B posted:

Alida is as good at giving out advice as Bruno is. Now Mara will be more open to letting Luke smother her a little, just when Luke is trying to quit smothering
    her. LOL!

Uh, oh. [face_worried] That might put L/M at cross wires again, this time in the other direction. :p Argh!
    Oh, well, that'll just make straightening it out that much more fun! :D

21. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I agree with Jedi-2B and am glad you went ahead with the story. This is a very warm hearted update [face_love] and I'll go on to say that we women cherish our girlfriends a great deal. You've captured that very nicely here.

Our Alida is so wise. I'd love a tea time with her!

Perhaps it is a gift of trust, letting Luke know that you would allow him the privilege of looking out for you, even though you both know you don?t need it.?

Lovely line here! Right to the heart, sister pilot!

Bravo! =D=

22. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Poor Mara... she just doesn't understand that you don't sort love, love sorts you!

23. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 15, 1999
    Alida laughed quietly to herself. ?Oh, Mara. Life is messiness. You can?t avoid that.?

With a resigned sigh, Mara straightened up and managed a half-smile. ?That?s what I?ve been told before,? she said. ?Maybe I don?t listen very well.?

?Oh, I think you listen a little too well. You are trying to analyze love. Love doesn?t come from your intellect; it comes from your heart. Trust your heart, Mara. That?s always a good place to begin.?

Have I said today how much I like Alida?? :D

I'm also glad you're going ahead with this story. Each chapter is such a treat! [:D]

24. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Ginchy: Poor Mara, she's all twitterpated but not sure what to do about it. Most fanfic seems to dwell on what Luke needs to change/do to be with Mara, but I like how you're touching on how Mara will need to give a little, too.

This is around the time of Vision of the Future, so both Luke and Mara still have issues that keep them from really giving in to love. So even though the girl?s twitterpatted, she still can?t quite see the forest for the trees! 8-} Thanks for reading, Ginchy!

JadeLotus: I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a beautify friendship between the two women.

Yes, I think so too. And Mara just had the heart-to-heart girl talk that she came to schedule! [:D] Thank you for stopping in!

RebelMom: Alida doesn't beat around the bush. it's good for Mara to hear.
    Thanks for the reply! Alida is older and wiser and most importantly, she sees Mara and Luke as people, not Jedi masters. That?s a good perspective.o_O

Jade_Eyes: It's a delicate balance Mara needs to walk: granting Luke the privilege of caring and looking out for her, while keeping independent. You can't enter a romance with no thought or reason at all--but you should never think it to death either.

That?s the trouble with Trader Jade at this stage? too much trader, not enough Jade! But she?s willing to learn, and that?s a start.:)

But what I'll really really really love--is L/M's next date!
    Coming next! Thank you for reading, Jade_Eyes.[:D]

Jedi-2B: Alida is as good at giving out advice as Bruno is. Now Mara will be more open to letting Luke smother her a little, just when Luke is trying to quit smothering her. LOL!

Thanks! As Shakespeare said, the course of true love never did run smooth. But that makes it even more fun for us, right?[face_dancing]

Blue_Milkshake: Go ahead Mara! Jump in the great big mud puddle that is love!!!

Yup! You have to be willing to get messy and possibly even hurt or else you will never get the rewards. :p Mara has to let go a little. Thank you for the reply!

Jade_Pilot: This is a very warm hearted update and I'll go on to say that we women cherish our girlfriends a great deal.
    That?s right, sister! Where would we be without the girlfriends? You can only talk to your cat for so long.;)

Our Alida is so wise. I'd love a tea time with her!
    Me, too! Who wouldn?t want a wonderful friend like that? [:D] Thanks!

RedGold: Poor Mara... she just doesn't understand that you don't sort love, love sorts you!
    How true! Love has no schedule or agenda. Thanks for replying!:D

Jedi_Trace: Yes, it looks like Alida has Mara?s number, doesn?t she? But they?re good for each other. O:) Thank you!

[b]PM List[/b]
    JadeLotus
    TnTornado
    Jackky17
    Jedi-2B
    laurethiel1138
    >

25. DancesWithBlasters

DancesWithBlasters Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 22, 2006
    I really, really love this story! It's utterly squee worthy! (I don't know if that applies to SW fandom. Hmm.) Anyway, would add me to the PM list?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.