main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An alternative version of TCW

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The Emotional Jedi, Jul 19, 2021.

1. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    As we all know very well, TCW does not fit into the Expanded Universe continuity because of the multiple contradictions between the series and the media belonging to the Clone Wars Multimedia Project and other novels and comics in general. Despite this, it must be said that the 2008 series presents some characters that are very good and deserve a place in the Expanded Universe alongside the Multimedia Project, such as Ahsoka Tano, Captain Rex and Savage Opress. I would very much like these characters could coexist with the continuity already established before 2008, but to do this we need to change their biographies to make them fit with the continuity. Therefore I have decided to open this thread so that all of us can discuss this.

What changes would need to be made to make TCW fit in the Legends continuity? And what changes would need to be made to the characters' biographies to make sure there are no contradictions with the Clone Wars Multimedia Project and other Legends media?

Mine is not a provocation to TCW fans, as I myself am a huge fan of the series and a great Ahsoka simp. I have simply opened this thread so that everyone can put forward useful ideas for creating an alternative version of the series that may exist along with the rest of the Legends material, so that both continuities may have TCW, albeit with different stories.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Narancia likes this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    The main problem is that Anakin only becomes a Jedi Knight pretty late into the War in Legends, I think its almost halfway through it. While TCW implies it happened right after the battle of Geonosis. And then the last few months of the Clone Wars Anakin is busy with the Labyrinth of Evil plot. So basically whatever is to be kept from TCW is to take place in a years at most. Which is already pretty tight.

Then you have characters appearing in TCW that were dead in Legends, like Gardulla. Or character dying in TCW that had later deaths in Legends, like master Piel. So you would basically have to cut/change all the arcs with these characters.

Dooku is a different character in the Clone Wars from what he was in most Legends material. In Legends he was a fallen idealist, in TCW he is a cartoon villian.

The Quinlan Vos appearance might need changes.

The Mandalore Arc probably needs to be cut in its entirety, as propbably should be the Dathomir stuff. Best just leave Maul dead in the first place.

There would also need to be ends/deaths for characters like Ashoka and Maul to explain why they never showed up again. Cause I feel the, the character went into exile and never did anything anymore, is a) overused in Legends, b) out of character for some of them and c) just generally lazy.

Just the things that come to my mind at the top of my head, there are probably more.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Narancia likes this.
  3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    To me, TCW is to the expanded universe what World War Two movies are to real life. Some of the episodes are like The Longest Day, more or less faithfully recreating an event that really happened. Some of them are like The Guns of Navarone, fiction but the relatively grounded, war movie kind. Some of them are like Captain America: The First Avenger, total fantasy that happens to use the real-life war as a jumping-off point.

Which episodes are which? ... Whichever you want!

4. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    My ideas to create an alternate version of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars"

As all the more informed fans know very well, TCW does not fit into the Expanded Universe continuity due to the multiple contradictions that exist between the series and the Legends materials published before 2008. For this reason many Legends fans, including myself, think that the 2008 series should be considered as part of Disney’s New Canon exclusively. Despite this, I believe that certain characters, such as Ahsoka and Captain Rex, also deserve a place in the Expanded Universe because they are very good characters, who deserve to be present in both continuities. But to make these characters also exist in the Legends continuity, we have to change their stories and their biographies, so that they fit with the media of the Clone Wars Multimedia Project and the rest of the novels and comics written before 2008. In recent months I have thought a lot about this, and I realized it would be very good to create an alternative version of TCW that fits with the Multimedia Project material andthe rest of the EU in general, so that also the Expanded Universe can have its versions of TCW, Ahsoka and Rex. So, here I leave my ideas to create a new Clone Wars series that does not contradict the Expanded Universe and that, In fact, it is based on material belonging to the Expanded Universe itself, and can coexist alongside the Original Clone Wars series and the rest of the Clone Wars Multimedia Project

My ideas:

1) Ahsoka cannot be Anakin’s Padawan, because in the Multimedia Project Anakin never had any Padawan. Therefore she have to be the Padawan of another master, and personally the most apt choice seems to me to be Master Plo-Koon. Therefore, in this alternative series Ahsoka is Plo-Koon’s Padawan and not Anakin’s Padawan. Despite this change Ahsoka’s personality doesn’t have to change, she can remain the same person we already know and can have the same personality she has in the original series. Personally, I think it would be very nice if from the beginning of the alternative series she have the same personality that she had between seasons 3 and 7 of the original series.

2) Anakin and Obi Wan may appear in this alternate series, but their appearances have to be limited to simple cameos, as their Clone Wars stories were already told in the 2003 series, the comics, the books and the video games. Therefore, in this alternate version of the series the two have to limit themselves to appearing from time to time to collaborate with Ahsoka, fighting side by side with her. One very important thing to keep in mind is that Anakin does NOT have to be depicted as a Jedi Knight until 2 years and 6 months from the beginning of the Clone Wars have passed, since in the Multimedia Project the Chosen One acquired this rank only 2 years and 6 months after the Battle of Geonosis. Therefore in the cameos that these two can make in this alternate version of the series, Anakin must always be depicted as a Padawan until 2 years and 6 months have passed since the beginning of the War.

3) Captain Rex’s story cannot be the same as we saw in the original series, because in the original series Rex is a very independent clone that occasionally even disobeys orders. This totally contradicts the Multimedia Project content and many novels written before 2008, in which it is made clear that ordinary clones (like Rex in the original 2008 series) never disobey orders. Therefore, Rex has to be another type of clone and not an ordinary clone as in the original series. Personally the most appropriate choice seems to me to be the ARC clones, as in every pre-TCW Clone Wars media it’s said the ARC clones are much more independent than normal clones, as they are biologically designed to be more independent and have free will. So, in conclusion, Rex has to be an ARC clone and he doesn’t have to be affiliated with the 501st Legion, with Anakin and with Obi Wan. Despite this change Rex’s personality doesn’t have to change, he can stay the same person we already know. We just need to change his story as we saw in the Ahsoka case. To change Rex’s story in a way that can fit with the Multimedia Project material, we might say he was one of the ARC troopers that fought in the Battle of Muinilinst (the one we saw in the Tartakovsky’s series), who was subsequently transferred to the 401st Plo-Koon’s Battalion. There he met Ahsoka and over time the two became good friends.

4) Darth Maul doesn’t have to resurrect, as in all pre-TCW Expanded Universe content it’s assumed that he died on Naboo. Therefore in this alternative version of the series it’s necessary to respect this decision of the pre-TCW authors. So, in conclusion, Darth Maul is dead. We can mention him and his pre-Phantom Menace story, but we NEVER have to resurrect him.

5) Savage Opress is Darth Maul’s brother. After finding out the whole truth about what happened to his brother he began to hate the Jedi and swear revenge against them. Dooku discovered Savage, and used his thirst for revenge against the Jedi and the Republic to turn him into one of his Dark Acolytes (along with Ventress and the other Acolytes we saw in the Republic comics and in the rest of the CWMMP content). He is the main antagonist of the series, and often uses minor henchmen in his service to hinder Ahsoka, Rex, and Plo.

6) The Inhibitor chips don’t exist. As it’s said in all pre-TCW Clone Wars content, the clones are programmed to obey orders without arguing. Therefore in this alternative version of the series the inhibitor chips don’t exist. Ordinary clones are simply biological robots that obey orders without arguing, while ARC clones and Commandos are more independent clones that have free will. Order 66 is simply one of the 150 contingency orders of the Grand Army of the Republic, exactly as it’s said in every pre-2008 media.

7) Asaij Ventress may appear in this alternate version of the series, but we don’t have to change her backstory, which was established in the Republic comics and in the 2003 series. We also don’t have to change the ending of her story, which was established in the Obsession comics. The same also applies to the story of other characters whose histories and biographies were completely modified by TCW, such as Even Piel, Adi Galia, Barriss Offee, Quinlan Vos, Tarkin, Jularen and other characters.

8) In this alternate version of the series, General Grievous is less competent than in 2003 Clone Wars, but remains a major threat to the Jedi and the Republic. His personality is a mixture of what we saw in the 2003 series and in TCW. The alternate version of the series will feature more moments of General Cyborg’s training by Count Dooku, as we saw in the Tartakovsky’s series.

9) Master Plo does not appear in many comics and books of the Clone Wars Multimedia Project, therefore many character-based stories can still be written without this clashing with the Expanded Universe already established continuity. But, despite this, it has to be said that Plo-Koon does indeed appear in some Multimedia Project media and that therefore a solution has to be found to make its presence in the series not clash with the content already established. To make sure the series doesn’t contradict the Multimedia Project comics, and in order to find a valid and credible justification for the fact that every time we saw Master Plo in the comics he didn’t have any Padawan on his side, a very simple expedient can be used: every time we see Master Plo in the comics Ahsoka and Rex are elsewhere, to lead other missions on other planets. That’s why we don’t see Ahsoka and Rex in the comics, because every time they’re in other places. This explanation is perfectly reasonable, as masters often separate from their Padawans to carry out missions with other masters or alone. So, whenever in this alternate version of the series we are told that Master Plo is elsewhere, we can be sure that he is participating in one of the battles we saw in the comics.

10) For the reasons I mentioned earlier, I find it quite obvious that Plo-Koon has to be separated from Ahsoka and Rex also during the Battle of Cato Neimoidia. I personally would like Ahsoka and Rex to survive Order 66, so the facts would have to happen more or less like this: While Plo is on Cato Neimoidia Ahsoka and Rex are elsewhere to lead some other battle on some other planet in the Outer Rim. When Order 66 comes Ahsoka perceive Plo’s death and be very sad about all that. Rex disobeys Order 66 because of the friendship he created with the Togrutan Padawan and the two would successively make the decision to exile and separate, to live a happy and quiet life in some fertile world of the Outer Rim. Obviously these events mark the end of the series, with Ahsoka and Rex saying goodbye each other forever.

11) To avoid creating confusion with the 2003 2D animated series which is also called "Clone Wars", I personally advise creating another title for the series. The first alternative title that comes to my mind is "Star Wars: Fall of the Republic", but you can also choose other titles, although I would personally choose this one as it sounds very cool.

NOTE: Ahsoka’s outfit is the same one we saw in the last arc of Season 7 ofTCW, but in this alternative series she has that outfit since the beginning of the series, and also her lightsabers are blue from the beginning of the series. Also the animation style is the same as the Seventh Season.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021