main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

AN EVEN GREATER DANGER? (Right after The Return of the Jedi)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Hopefulwriter, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    Author: Hopefulwriter
    Rating: G for everyone
    Time frame: Immediately after The Return of the Jedi
    Characters: Han Solo, Chewbacca, Mon Motha, Leia Organa

A VERY NICE READER HAS ENCOURAGE ME TO WRITE MORE ON THIS STORY,
    SO I WILL BE ADDING CHAPTERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I'M WAITING TO SEE
    WHERE THIS STORY TAKES ME, TOO.

The Headquarters Frigate briefing room was filling up with all the surviving Rebel soldiers, pilots and officers; their spirits still high from the destruction of the second Death Star.

There was a lot of jostling, back slapping, bragging and talking as they all took their seats, sharing battle exploits…reenacting point shots, waiting for Mon Motha to appear.

Upon her entrance, Leia hurried across the room to give a hug to Han then
    settled beside him. Lando soon surfaced and gave Han a congratulatory slap on the back, each pointing in tease to their general insignias. Then, the suave, dark man seated himself.

Talk lowered to a buzzing hum, and all eyes focused when the white gowned Mon Motha appeared. She slowly scanned the faces of the combatants.

“Congratulations to everyone upon the completion of a victorious mission. Your
    heroic actions and sacrifice have won freedom from fear and tyranny for this Galaxy.
    By your actions you have given security to all and everyone can look forward
    to a future of peace and harmony. I give special commendations to General Solo’s, and
    General Calrissian’s combat teams.

Han and Lando looked at each other, nodding.

“We will remain here while the wounded heal and we regroup our ships. You all deserve
    a time of rest, so there are no orders for the foreseeable future. I would like to see General Solo as we dismiss this meeting.”

“Maybe I’m gonna get another medal.” Han said, wiggling his eyebrows, to Leia as he rose. She just smiled and shook her head.

Han’s slow, determined footfalls were drown out by the shuffle of feet as everyone else
    left the briefing room. He stood to face Mon Mothma. “You want to see me?”

“General Solo….You remember from our briefing before the Death Star battle,
    I reported that many Bothans had died to bring us the information we needed bring about our victory.”

“Yes.”

“The three Bothans that made it through are still here, under our protection. They need to be taken back to their home planet. They must have a safe journey, as their whereabouts may be known at this time. Your ship is not a Rebel ship and won’t be noticed as much…you’ll just be a freight hauler passing through space to your destination.”

Han bit his lip and placed his hand over the butt of his blaster, a well worn habit.

“Will you do this?” Mon Mothma asked. “It is not an order.”

“Where will I be taking them?” He asked.

“To the planet Bothawui in the mid rim.”

The Corellian raised a hand to run across his stubbled chin. Upon his hesitation, Mon Motha said to him. “The Rebellion will pay you.”

Han waved off that suggestion. He was part of them now and wouldn’t take
    the strained resources of the Rebellion, in fact, a surprise to himself, he didn’t feel as mercenary as he had once been. He looked toward Leia before he answered.

“I’ll do it.”

“This must be done under the most secrecy…not even Princess Leia can be told. You will just be making a ‘freight run’.

Han nodded.

“Ready your ship this base night, fuel, supplies, and the ‘cargo’..will be brought to you,
    under cover at six hundred hours.”

Han nodded again.

Leia was watching from her seat and wondered what was being said…

“Thank you, General Solo.” Mon Mothma ended the conversation and turned to leave.

“What did she want?” Leia asked as Han made his way back to where Leia sat.

“Just talk.” He told her.

Leia knit her brow, but didn’t question further. “I have some meetings to attend now.”

“I’ll go back to the ship…check her out good and resupply.” Han told her.

“See you later…” Leia turned to leave.

“Come on, Chewie, we got to check out the ship.” Han gave the Wookiee a playfull
    slap on the arm as he passed.

Han passed a hand over the hull of his beloved ship…

Chewbacca growled, arms loaded with supplies, for Han to help.

Han gave a playful grimace, ‘You’re stronger than I am.” He said as lifted
    a box from the Wookiee’s arms.

After storing the supplies, the pair went to refueling…obtaining a few of the precious
    power units to install when they got back to the Falcon.

In the Falcon’s cockpit, Han pulled up a galactic map, searching for the destination
    they would be headed. Chewbacca settled himself in the co-pilot's seat and mumbled
    question.

“No, that is just a rumor you heard.” Han answered. “We won’t be delivering the ‘usual
    cargo’. We’re taking the Bothans back to their home planet.” Chewbacca needed to
    know the mission, there were never any secrets between them.

The Wookiee’s eyes widened as he asked. “Isn’t that dangerous?”

Han smiled, rising, slapping his partner on a furry knee as he made is way out of the cockpit, “Do we know any other way?”

Han paced in front of the Falcon’s loading hatch…. “six hundred hours” he mumbled to
    himself. Chewbacca loped down the walk ramp, a questioning tilt of his head.

“Not yet, Chewie.”

From the left side of the Falcon, a large box being carried on a loader appeared.

“You’re late….this the ‘cargo’? Han asked the soldier.

“All I know is that I was to bring this box to you.” The rebel replied.

“All right…load it up.” Han jerked a thumb toward the hatch opening, then moved aside so the box could be rolled up the ramp. Once inside the ship, Han walked around the large container.

“I guess this is some of their belongings.” Han told Chewbacca as the Wookiee
    entered the hallway.

Suddenly, there was muffled movement inside the box, causing it to tilt. Han steadied
    the large box. “What the….”

Up through the top of the box, jutted a furry head its beady eyes searching the area,
    chattering loudly, then two other heads appeared.

Han and Chewbacca quickly ripped the rest of the box open and three small beings
    appeared.

“This must be our ‘cargo’, the Bothans.” Han surmised. “Do you understand what they are saying?’

Chewbacca shook a negative response, still looking over the furry, diminutive species.

“They don’t seem too happy about something.” The Corellian remarked. “Go get that gold-plated droid…maybe he can tell us what they’re saying.” Han remarked.

Chewbacca left the ship to search for C3-PO.

Han splayed a hand to the Bothans, leading them to the lounge area of his ship.
    Motioning for them to be seated, he gave a ‘drink’ motion…the beings shook their
    heads.

In the supply area, Han gathered three bottles of water from the cooler, hoping this was what they would drink.

Enjoying their drinks, now assured that they were safe, the Bothan’s reacted to hearing plodding footsteps on the hatch walkway.

“Back here, Chewie.” Han called to him.

Chewbacca and C3-PO entered the lounge area.

“General Solo, what an honor it is to serve you…I could think…”

“Can it.” Han hushed up the prattling droid. “I want you to talk to these Bothan’s
    and tell me what they are saying.”

The droids photoreceptors blinked a couple of times…then pondered a moment. Clearing
    his throat, the droid began speaking in Bothese.

‘Well?” Han insisted impatiently.

“They asked why they were brought here in a box. That they’d never been treated so
    callously.”

“Tell them it was to save their lives.” Han replied stoically

The droid complied and the Bothans nodded their heads.

“May I leave now, General Solo?”

“Yeah…”

C3-PO began a shuffle to the hatchway.

“No! Wait.” Han called. “I may need you on this trip.”

“Oh, how wonderful…” The droid replied walking back to the lounge area… “ I was
    wondering what I would be doing now….and to work as an interpreter is exactly what
    I was programmed for…..”

Han pointed a shushing finger into the droid’s face. “And don’t talk until I need you to
    ‘interpret’ something.

The receptors once again blinked but nothing else was said.

“All right, Chewie. Guess we should be on our way. I’ve already set the coordinates
    for Bothawui.

Later, in deep space under natural speed, Han remarked to his co-pilot, “I don’t see anything around us, let’s make this trip a little quicker.” He then readied the coordinates for the jump to hyper speed.

The furry Wookiee shook his head in agreement.

“Here we go.” Han punched the indicator and stars swept aside in front of them.

The Corellian, settled comfortably in his pilot’s chair, checking his fingernails…,
    was suddenly and forcefully thrown to the deck, Chewbacca was thrown aside
    the controls.

“What in the name of the last deadman’s dagger was that?!!!” Han yelled, picking himself up from the floor, putting a hand to his head…a goose egg rapidly forming.

Gazing out the cockpit wind shield he exclaimed.” “We’re standing still!! How
    can that be? What can be so powerful that it can stop hyper speed!!!”

Chewbacca had righted himself and was gazing out the window also…

C3-PO rattled into the cockpit, wires jutting out from all joints, a foot twisted backwards. “What happened.. am I going to die?”

“Sit down and shut up.” Han told the droid. Who did just that.

“There’s no tractor beam…no lights…no ship…no….nothing” Han exclaimed, his heart beating fast. “Go check on the Bothans.” he said to Chewbacca.

Han gazed over the controls, punching buttons and pulling levers…nothing.

Reentering the cockpit, Chewbacca reported their ‘cargo’ was doing fine, no injuries…
    just a little shaken up.

“We’re going to burn out our engines if we stay this way much longer.” Han commented
    as he worked over the controls. We’ve got to get out of this….with the ship INTACT.”

Then a thought crossed the Corellian’s memory… “We’ll stop the engines and detach
    to free fall like we did once before.” He advised his co-pilot. Chewbacca shook his head.

“Well, we’ve got to try something!” Han yelled as he began the process of shutting down the Falcon’s engines. “Just hope we don’t blow this ship to Eternity and us with it!”

The humming heartbeat of the Falcon ceased…..then slight, tilting downward movement as the free fall began.

“We’re loose, Chewie, let’s get our butts out of here before anything else happens.”

Han allowed the free fall for quite a bit of time, hoping they were released from what ever
    had hold of them.

Restarting the engines, he turned the Falcon and headed back to the Headquarter’s
    Frigate.

“(What about the Bothans?)” Chewbacca questioned.

“They’ll just have to go back with us. We’ve got to tell the Generals about this.
    Compared to the power that just held us…

the Death Star was just a toy.”

CHAPTER 2

Han Solo walked across the landing platform of the Headquarters Frigate, slapping his flight
    gloves across his thigh…partly in frustration and impatience, but mainly in anger.

Stopping, he grabbed a rebel pilot by the arm. “Where can I find Mon Mothma?”

The young rebel stammered a moment then replied. “I guess she’s in the war room.”

Han let the young man go without a word and continued his walk into the interior of headquarters.
    He gave a wave when accosted by shouts of… “Great job!” “Way to go!” , by passing Rebels.

Boot heels clicking against the floor, he stopped and gave a slight knock on the closed door.

“Enter.” Mon Mothma’s calm voice responded. “General Solo.” She glanced at the ship’s
    chrono and date bank…. “You’re back sooner than expected. Didn’t you deliver the Bothans
    to their homeland?”

“No, I didn’t” He clipped.

The leader tilted her head… “It’s not like you to not finish a mission..”

Han countered, “I couldn’t deliver them.”

“What do you mean?”

“Something stopped my ship.”

“What do you mean ‘something’ stopped your ship’.?

“Just what I said something stopped my ship.”

“Were you fired upon? Boarded?

The Corellian tossed his head, a shaggy, brown forelock draping his forehead. “No, those things
    I can handle. This was like some kind of….. force wall….the ship was in hyperspeed and just
    ….stopped….suspended….just held us there.”

Mon Mothma, grimaced. “Where are the Bothans?”

“Back in the Falcon, Chewie is with them. I didn’t know who all had or hadn’t seem them.

The leader paced….then turned to the Corellian…. “You must tell this to the other Generals.”

Han nodded his head.

“Come with me. We’ll assemble them.

Han opened the door and both passed through, then starting down the hallway.

“What is this all about?” General Madine questioned, seating himself beside Admiral Ackbar
    and the others.

“General Solo has something to report to you. As you know he was supposed to deliver the
    surviving Bothans back to their home world. We were giving them safe passage for their helping
    us.

The leaders nodded.

“He did not complete the mission.” Mon Mothma informed them.

“That’s insubordination. The failure to comply.”

“Once, you hear what he has to say, you will change your mind.” She explained further, looking
    at Han.

He stood, hand on the butt of his blaster. “I couldn’t complete the mission because my ship
    was held in suspended air and we could travel no further.”

“What do you mean ‘suspended’? General Madine questioned.

“Just that…stopped….mid-air…like some kind of force wall, and we were in hyperdrive!

“That’s IMPOSSIBLE!!!!” Madine jumped to his feet. “That’s never happened. Nothing can stop a ship in hyperdrive.”

“Well, now something has!” Han argued. “Come with me and I’ll take you where it happened.”

“Gentlemen,” Admiral Ackbar reasoned. “If this is true, and I’ve had no occasion to doubt

anything General Solo has told me, we must consider the possibility and what that will mean

if it affects us. Why, our ships could be stopped dead in battle, we’d be sitting sedkus.”

“You know where this incident happened?” Madine asked.

“The approximate coordinates.” Han told him.

“Do you know far and wide this..this…’power’ affects the area.

“No.” Han told him. “Just got away from it before it burned out the thrusters. I’m
    surprised my ship didn’t break apart or implode.”

“Were you communicated with in any way?”

“No….there were no ships, planets, moons….anything I could see or detect by radar
    that would be emitting this….power.”

Madine and Ackbar looked at one another.

“Could the battle with this second Death Star just be a decoy while the Empire was working
    on this new…..weapon? Madine wondered aloud.

“And just by accident, General Solo ran into it…discovered it?” Ackbar spoke his thoughts.

“Was this thing….power…moving?” Ackbar questioned again.

“No.” Han replied.

“How did you escape?” Madine asked.

“I shut down my engines, took a free fall until I figured I was clear of it and came back here.”

“If that is a new weapon…we have no resources to fight it. We’ve lost so many ships and

soldiers. We’ll be at this ‘power’s mercy.” Madine stated. “What are we to do?”

Han Solo walked across the landing platform of the Headquarters Frigate, slapping his flight
    gloves across his thigh…partly in frustration and impatience, but mainly in anger.

Stopping, he grabbed a rebel pilot by the arm. “Where can I find Mon Mothma?”

The young rebel stammered a moment then replied. “I guess she’s in the war room.”

Han let the young man go without a word and continued his walk into the interior of headquarters.
    He gave a wave when accosted by shouts of… “Great job!” “Way to go!” , by passing Rebels.

Boot heels clicking against the floor, he stopped and gave a slight knock on the closed door.

“Enter.” Mon Mothma’s calm voice responded. “General Solo.” She glanced at the ship’s
    chrono and date bank…. “You’re back sooner than expected. Didn’t you deliver the Bothans
    to their homeland?”

“No, I didn’t” He clipped.

The leader tilted her head… “It’s not like you to not finish a mission..”

Han countered, “I couldn’t deliver them.”

“What do you mean?”

“Something stopped my ship.”

“What do you mean ‘something’ stopped your ship’.?

“Just what I said something stopped my ship.”

“Were you fired upon? Boarded?

The Corellian tossed his head, a shaggy, brown forelock draping his forehead. “No, those things
    I can handle. This was like some kind of….. force wall….the ship was in hyperspeed and just
    ….stopped….suspended….just held us there.”

Mon Mothma, grimaced. “Where are the Bothans?”

“Back in the Falcon, Chewie is with them. I didn’t know who all had or hadn’t seem them.

The leader paced….then turned to the Corellian…. “You must tell this to the other Generals.”

Han nodded his head.

“Come with me. We’ll assemble them.

Han opened the door and both passed through, then starting down the hallway.

“What is this all about?” General Madine questioned, seating himself beside Admiral Ackbar
    and the others.

“General Solo has something to report to you. As you know he was supposed to deliver the
    surviving Bothans back to their home world. We were giving them safe passage for their helping us.

The leaders nodded.

“He did not complete the mission.” Mon Mothma informed them.

“That’s insubordination. The failure to comply.”

“Once, you hear what he has to say, you will change your mind.” She explained further, looking at Han.

He stood, hand on the butt of his blaster. “I couldn’t complete the mission because my ship
    was held in suspended air and we could travel no further.”

“What do you mean ‘suspended’? General Madine questioned.

“Just that…stopped….mid-air…like some kind of force wall, and we were in hyperdrive!

“That’s IMPOSSIBLE!!!!” Madine jumped to his feet. “That’s never happened. Nothing can stop a ship in hyperdrive.”

“Well, now something has!” Han argued. “Come with me and I’ll take you where it happened.”

“Gentlemen,” Admiral Ackbar reasoned. “If this is true, and I’ve had no occasion to doubt
    anything General Solo has told me, we must consider the possibility and what that will mean
    if it affects us. Why, our ships could be stopped dead in battle, we’d be sitting sedkus.”

“You know where this incident happened?” Madine asked.

“The approximate coordinates.” Han told him.

“Do you know far and wide this..this…’power’ affects the area.

“No.” Han told him. “Just got away from it before it burned out the thrusters. I’m
    surprised my ship didn’t break apart or implode.”

“Were you communicated with in any way?”

“No….there were no ships, planets, moons….anything I could see or detect by radar
    that would be emitting this….power.”

Madine and Ackbar looked at one another.

“Could the battle with this second Death Star just be a decoy while the Empire was working
    on this new…..weapon? Madine wondered aloud.

“And just by accident, General Solo ran into it…discovered it?” Ackbar spoke his thoughts.

“Was this thing….power…moving?” Ackbar questioned again.

“No.” Han replied.

“How did you escape?” Madine asked.

“I shut down my engines, took a free fall until I figured I was clear of it and came back here.”

“If that is a new weapon…we have no resources to fight it. We’ve lost so many ships and
    soldiers. We’ll be at this ‘power’s mercy.” Madine stated. “What are we to do?”

Chapter 3

Admiral Ackbar glanced at Han. “Do you think you can show us the approximate place where this
    event happened?”

Han nodded.

“Then let’s go to the holo-room.” The Admiral said, rising.

In the Holo-room, Admiral Ackbar activated a switch and an astromap of the galaxy burst into view. “Come show us where you and your ship were when it was stopped.”

The leaders waited in rapt attention.

Han moved closer and studied the stationary, transparent map a moment; eyeing the latitudes and longitudes, then pointed…. “Just about here.”

General Madine moved closer and scanned the indicated area. “There’s nothing within a million space miles in either direction of where you are pointing. No weapon can perform from that distance. Perhaps your ship stalled.” He finished with a dismissive hand.

Han gave a sarcastic smile. “I know my ship as well as you know your backside. She didn’t stall.”

Madine, blinked, taken aback.

“We need to find out more about this ‘power’ that General Solo experienced. I have no reason to
    believe that he’s told us nothing but the truth. We are in no position to fight another battle at this
    time if this is a threat to us.” Ackbar stated.

The leaders looked at one another, nodding.

“Would you be willing to scout out this place again… send us any information..if you can transmit.?”
    Ackbar asked. “You’ll need to leave as soon as possible.”

The Corellian didn’t hesitate. “I would. What about the Bothans?”

“They will stay here with us.” Mon Mothma stated. “We’ll keep them safe until we can get them to their home world.”

“There’s something I have to do before I leave.” Han told them.

Boot falls echoed through the main hallway of the frigate as the pirate pilot looked into every window
    and opened every closed door.

His search was rewarded when Leia rounded the corner.

“Han! I’m glad you’re back.”

“Me too.” He answered, taking hold of her arm and drawing her into the darkened corner, enfolding her in his arms.

“Han.” Leia weakly protested, while leaning into the warmth and strength of his chest. “Someone may see.”

“Let ‘um look.” He said, reaching down to caress a kiss across her lips.

“They want me to go out again, to that place and report back what I find. If it is a weapon from the Empire
    or another entity against us, we are in trouble.”

“I heard about what happened.” Leia affirmed, not removing herself from his embrace.

“We haven’t had much time to spend alone, lately.” Han told her, “And I wanted to be with you some
    before I had to leave.”

Leia snuggled even closer. “I don’t have another meeting for nearly a ship’s hour.” She smiled and winked.

“That’s not nearly long enough.” Han teased, as he took her hand and the couple headed for Leia’s quarters.

“All right, Chewie….let’s get going. Han said punching in coordinates. “We’re either going to find
    out what this thing is or…..we may not be coming back.”

CHAPTER 4

Han set for hyper drive.

“(You going to run us into that thing again?)” Chewbacca asked, not really wanting to hear the answer;
    he knew his nearly life-long friend….and wouldn’t be surprised at anything he would attempt.

“No, just wanna get there quickly, but going to stop us a couple hundred thousand miles from it. Check it
    out first. We didn’t see it coming, or us going into it before it hit.” Han explained.

The rest of the flight went smoothly, with Han and Chewbacca getting to eat a flight meal, and play
    a holo game, which the Wookiee usually won, but Han had gotten better and they were almost even now in wins and losses.

An alarm ring interrupted Han musing. “This is it.” Both rose, jostling the game board and rushed to the cockpit.

Looking out the windshield as he moved controls to slow the Falcon to a near drift he asked,
    “See that, Chewie?”

Chewbacca shook his head. (“What do you think it is?”)

Han was silent as he took in the full view….different colored, wavy, transparent, cloud-like images
    free floating in space. No visible wires attached anywhere. He lowered the cockpit lights.

Setting the instrumentation for a closer look…. he voiced, “They’re in a cross formation, but there’s black center hole …the colors, red, blue, green and yellow, don’t touch. They look small now, this far out, but the readings show they are ten thousand miles in length and four thousand miles in width. The black hole is two thousand miles wide. Nothing indicates that they give off heat or radioactivity.”

Han rubbed a hand across his chin in thought. “I don’t know,” Chewie, “I’ve never seen anything like it. and you know we’ve both seen a lot of strange things out there over the years.”

The Wookiee nodded in agreement.

Han straightened from the flight console, “I’m gonna try something.” Chewbacca shook his head….now what?

He rushed to the gun turret, climbing down the ladder, clipping on the headset as he settled into the
    seat, reaching to turn levers. Settling the crosshairs on the black hole and giving a second look he
    fired the shot, holding his breath as he watched the projectile race toward its intended impact.

Digital readout confirming that the shot had indeed hit it the target, but nothing happened.

Then, suddenly, an uncountable number of rays of red-yellow energy flew from the target, headed for the Falcon, hitting the ship and covering the cockpit windshield.

Chewbacca raised a reflective arm against the sparks….assaulting the cockpit with Wookiee curses.
    He rushed to the turret…Han was still seated, still angry after uttering his own, chosen, vile words.

(“What do you think you were doing!!!!!????”) Chewbacca railed at him.

Han climbed from the seat and back up to the Falcon’s hallway, facing a still railing Chewbacca.

“Calm down. I just wanted to see if that thing could be destroyed.” Han told him, walking back
    to the cockpit, "That thing wasn't firing at us, that was flashback.". .

Peering out the windshield, Han cursed, “Eye of Morfe, Chewie“.it looks like nothing has touched
    it.".

(“We should report back to the leaders, let them know what we have found so far.”) Chewbacca advised.

Han was silent for a long moment, then snapped his fingers, “I want to try one more thing.”

CHAPTER 5
    Seating himself back at the Falcon’s controls, which Han could work blindfolded, he upped the speed and began a slow approach to the wavy, transparent cross.

“(You’re not going through that are you?”) Chewbacca questioned from his side of the cockpit.

“No, just around it. Kinda like going to the backside of the moon. Then we’ll contact the others
    with a report. The more I look at it, I don’t think it poses any threat. After that shot, nothing happened…didn’t shoot back, communicate, change form…or approach us.”

The Wookiee shook his head in agreement.

It took some slow travel time, but they were arching around the first beams of the cross.

“Look, Chewie.” Han pointed, to the colorful blue waves. “I’m gonna go through that ‘curtain’.

“(No, no, no….)” Chewbacca shook his head violently.

Han smiled. “Well…..I can let you out here and come back for you.” He teased. “We’ve gone through a lot of things that look more suspicious than this.” He gave his friend a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

Directing the ship to the middle of the blue color, Han took a deep breath, then pushed the yoke
    forward.

Metal things that laid loosely on the control deck, flew up to the cockpit window.

“What the…” Han exclaimed.

Looking at his co-pilot, the Corellian couldn’t keep from laughing.

Chewbacca was making a strangling sound…his bandolier surging toward the windshield. Han pulled it away… “Keep it in your hand. That’s another thing we’ve learned…it has magnetic qualities.”

Passing out of the curtain, Han surmised… “The magnetism must be radiating from the black hole in the center. That’s how it held us.” He slowed the ship to stationary and took up the com-link.

“Han Solo to Admiral Ackbar.”

The com-link crackled with a reply a few moments later.

“General Solo….we were beginning to worry about you. Do you have information for us?

“Yes, sir. We’ve found out it is stationary, it has magnetic qualities. It’s quite large, measuring
    in the thousands of space miles. It didn’t return fire when I fired at it. There was no movement,
    communication or retaliation. I think it is harmless.”

“You may be right. We’ve been studying and reading about space phenomenon. That may be
    an anomaly. And it may be a place where the four poles are converging from each compass
    direction, giving it its power." Ackbar broke the connection.

“This is the first time I’ve seen something like this.” Han commented back.

“That phenomenon is very rare….one could go a lifetime without coming in contact with it.
    So,” Ackbar said, "we are in agreement that this is not a ‘weapon’ or any kind of threat to
    us or anyone else.”

“I agree.” Han stated, as Chewbacca nodded.

“See you when you get back, Solo, and thanks for your help.”

“Yes, Sir.” Han cleared the com-link.

“Well, Chewie…let’s make our way home.”

The Wookiee was already adjusting the controls on his side of the console.

Han leaned back in his pilot’s chair. “I anxious to see if this magnetism makes me more
    ‘attractive’ to Leia.

Chewbacca turned and stared at his partner. No, it just moved his brain in another direction.
    Would he ever be free of Han’s sick sense of humor?

THE END

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    NOT DEATH STAR THREE!!!???

:)

That actually read nicely as if it was part of the original movies. Snappy.
    It'll be fun to see what you do with your little box of Bothans.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    AzureAngel2 likes this.
  3. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi GregMcP...Thank you for taking time to read EVEN A GREATER DANGER?
    I appreciate your comments. I didn't think about expanding the story, but
    you have given me something to consider.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Chewbacca turned and stared at his partner. No, it just moved his brain in another direction.
    Would he ever be free of Han’s sick sense of humor?

Actually, I do not wish to be free of Han´s humour and think you should definitely write a follow-up. [:D]

5. Hopefulwriter

Jan 6, 2016
    Hi Azure, thank you for taking time to read AN EVEN GREATER DANGER?
    Comments are always appreciated and sometimes leads to another story.
    I won't ever stop writing Han's 'sick sense of humor'. Will think about a follow up.
    Lynda V.