main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Niagara, ON *** An Online Meeting ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Woofer, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    We have a lot of items that need to be discussed but have trouble coming up with a meeting that will work for the majority of the members, so this message will be a bit of an experiment. We are going to try and discuss a bunch of topics via this forum and see what can be resolved in a fairly timely manner. The more we can resolve here, the less we'll have to discuss in person and the faster the real life meeting can go.

I will warn you right off that there is a surprising number of things that are happening within YJN. We are truly an active group and the list of topics will show just how much is going on and things that the members can participate in.

If the list seems overwhelming just remember that you can pick and choose what you want to participate in. Most of the topics below can be resolved by simply volunteering to get the required task done.

-------------------- Item 1 --------------------
    Post Parade

We still need a few things done regarding the parade.

Videotape We need somebody to contact Cogeco and get a good copy of the parade. Dana has told me she was going to try, but if we can get an extra it won't hurt. There will probably be some kind of fee for a copy of the tape.

Pictures This is very important. We need somebody to collect as many pictures of the event from every source. Check the other forums to get their pictures. Not just the links. Actual copies. Lets get them on a CD (or two). Then we can collect the best of the best and get them to Star Wars Insider for inclusion in the magazine and Bantha Tracks. We are also going to send the pictures to StarWars.com and Steve Sansweet. I would personally like to see this done by next week at the latest. I am willing to write the press release copy, but we really need that picture.

On a related note can somebody get to The Standard offices and get a copy of the picture that was in the paper? Its better to scan a real photo than a newspaper.

Volunteers? Please Reply ASAP

-------------------- Item 2 --------------------
    Clothing Drive for Women's Place

Dana has volunteered to gather together items for Women's Place. We are looking for clothing especially, but if you have no clothes to donate you could bring everyday items, like shampoo and soap and toothbrushes. Canned goods, blankets, Toys. Anything.

Some of these families arrive at the door of the shelter with just the clothes on their back, and they can use whatever we can donate.

The deadline for donations is Friday, October 10. That way Women's Place will have our donation in time for Thanksgiving Day.

If you have anything that you can donate please contact Dana.

-------------------- Item 3 --------------------
    More Parades!

The Niagara Falls Santa Claus Parade is coming up on Saturday November 22. We have participated in this parade previously. If we are going to march again we need to know by October 17. Please reply with confirmation that you can attend including the costume you will be wearing. We need a definite answer. If the response is insufficient then we will not attend.

St. Catharines is going to have a Santa Claus Parade on December 6. This is the first year for the parade. Is there interest to join in?

-------------------- Item 4 --------------------
    Hallowe'en Party

Hallowe'en this year is on a Friday. Tessa from Toronto is trying to organize a get together at her place. She has invited us and members from London. I suggested to her that the Saturday might be best for those of us who would be coming in from out of town.

More details to come. There is an existing thread to reply if you are interested.

-------------------- Item 5 --------------------
    Duelling Club

Do you want to learn the art of lightsabre duelling? We are going to train in the basics of safe combat for public display and for fun. We'll start with the construction of boffer swords for practice. The cost is approximately $20 to make your own.

From there we'll teach the most b

2. jadepadawan

jadepadawan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2002
    I'll go first:

I was going to do a post for the Book Club on the weekend when I had time to see if there will be more members-some are new to the city, some have come back from summer

I wanted input from members on what they would like to try next

3. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Ok... here goes...

Video tape:

I should eb able to swing down by Cocegco sometime in the next day or so and snag a copy. Will call today and see about cost. :)

Clothing Drive:

There is a thread for this and yes I would like to have the stuff there for the Thanksgiving weekend. Those who want to help, but have no spare clothes to get rid of, feel free to grab toothbrushes, ect. from the dollar store if you want. Just about anything will help.

Parades:

I will be calling to get more info on the one in St. Kit's. See what we can find out. Will post info later.
    The Niagara Parade: We did this one last year, and while we had fun, it was a bit of a nightmare on the organization. (which suxed) PPl who said they could come didn't and we had a last minute scramble to find ppl who would jump in. Granted, we were VERY SHORT on prep time. If we do it this year, I really need to get the info in ON TIME...lol This is a layed back relaxed parade where we can mingle and have fun. In order to send in the form I need the following info :

Number marching, do we have a float, do we have the truck, Costumes, do we have music (they prefer this), and so on. I will need the "write -up" to turn in with the form.

Duelling Club:

Have a few ppl here that want in if there is room... is there an age limit?

We also have the Costume Sig if ppl are interested. We could it as a place to go over some of the new "additions" to our line-up and brainstorm on next years parade. Just a thought. kk.

4. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    No can do on the tape from Cogeco. They're not allowed to distribute tapes of the G&W because of copyright infringments (marching band music). I did tape just the section of us though so people can see it. The only way I could see anyone getting any sort of tape from them is if they're on the pay roll (people on the pay roll get special priviliages compared to those of us who co-op/volunteer), so maybe I'll try talking to someone else to see if they could help me out.

5. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Dueling club:

I don't think there should be an age limit per sei. Martial arts has from young children to older adults.

For instance, Sammy DID pick up the four point kendo attck system very fast and was even pulling his hits to a degree.

Is there anyway to use a gym or large indoor room? It IS getting colder :)

Also if we can buy in bulk all the supplies needed to make the hilts and blades it will save us a bit :)

Everything else sounds good :)

6. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Mitch is dead on. Talked to Cogeco today. No way we can get one. I'm trying to find someone who can tape it. No luck.

The Santa Parade in St. Kits. : I spoke to the person at the standard that will be covering it. Even she has no info. Seems the Council hasn't finished discusion on it yet. I will be speaking to her again next wens.

The photo from the Standard:

For a copy of the one used it will cost us $19.99 and we will get an 8x10 color. We need to know the date and pg it was on.

Other interesting developement!!! I found out that we can make an appointment with the photographer who took them all that day. At the meeting we can go over any other pics he might have taken of the group and we might even be able to buy the unused ones ( with him given credit) for a fee. If we can get a few nice unpublished ones as well... wow, they would make a great promo packet, as well as getting us noticed by this guy for future events. I have a call in to him right now and hope to hear back soon. It would be great if I could get someone to go with us for the meeting. Would probably be good if this person was doing something for the promo.lol.

7. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    That would be awesome if we could see what ones they took but didn't use, they would be great for publicity material (pamphlets, etc)

8. legoman

legoman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 14, 2002
    I am in for the parades, and my house is available for the one in the Falls. I'm also in for the dueling club.

9. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    The last showing of the parade is FRIDAY at 6:30pm. :) Please... someone get this taped. :):):)

10. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    Do you want the whole parade or just us, 'cause I have just us.

11. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    How about both?

If we can convert the bit with us to an online format we can host that for everyone to see.

If we can get a good copy of the full parade we can send a copy to the out of towners so they see what they missed.

Probably just one copy to each CR will suffice, but we'll need a good clean copy of the original to dub from.

12. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Can we over dub the announcers?

13. Mert_Skywalker

Aug 28, 2001
    That could be done very easily

14. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Are other members from other cities invited for the dueling club?

15. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    I think we need a duelling club thread now John...

16. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    What station and what time is the parade on again? I am going to see if I can also tape it.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

17. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    The parade is showing one last time at 6:30 pm on friday. Channel 10

18. DMZBADGER

DMZBADGER Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2002
    If the folks from YJN are going in other parades they are more than welcome to use my costumes and also...Why the heck didn't someone ask "me" to photograpgh the group? I wasn't in costume...I have a digital and a 35mm camera...I did take a couple of photos myself from the parade if anyone wants them just let me know (they were of the speeder bike...wanted to take a couple of my baby)

19. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I got a lot of photos collected, including a pack of photos from Justin and Steph. Also checking the petridish albums belonging to some of us will show all our parade pics.

Also, on my petridish album, I am uploading every photo I posess from our first event to today. Oh, nostalgia!

20. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    DMZBADGER,

Would love to see the shots you took. Don't think we had a chance to meet each other at the event.:( The speeder bike was incrediable!

21. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    REcording the Parade as we speak...actually currently its the over lengthy highlight reel that is putting me to sleep. Mitch can you PLEASE get these people to get some better Production music. :_| This is almost as painful as the not-so-witty Banter.

EDIT: I do now have a copy of our work in the parade...if it matters to anyone.

22. Java_Jedi

May 20, 2002
    Can I geta copy of the tape from you?

23. Jymm_Roquand

Nov 25, 2002
    lol I will lend it to you but please do not watch the crap before...its stuff I did in highschool that wasn't very good but thought about keeping.

24. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    And now you've just insured that it gets copied too :p

25. Jymm_Roquand

Nov 25, 2002
    Hey if you are willing to endure that crap :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.