main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin and Episode 1

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by BigPoppaJabba, Jun 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    It is good that there is no Anakin charater card in the game. That would be a pain to gameplay. However, if Decipher are keen to have an Episode 1 only tournament environment, then they should have an Anakin character that can be played only in that environment. He is far too important a character to ignore altogether.

2. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I don't think that Decipher intends to ingnore Anakin. However I d o not think that Anakin will be getting a Ep1 card merely because...well, what did he do? He podraced (which is covered with his pod and I Did It!) and he flew a Naboo starfighter in the battle. Perhaps Decipher will make a Bravo Squad starship with Anakin as the permanent pilot, but that would be about as far as a persona for him would go. However I do fully expect that Anakin will have a huge impact on all the Ep2 and 3 expansions and by then there probably will be seperate Prequel and Classic era environments (in addition to the normal constructed). I would imagine that with two or three years to think about it, Decipher will come up with something that will fix the Anakin dilemma in the SWCCG in a way that will hopefully satisfy the SWCCG community.

3. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Gee, Aurra Sing appeared for all of a second watching the podrace. But she got her own card and effect to match. Anakin was in nearly the whole film.

4. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Well....true, but Aurra also got a few cool comic book cameos (back when DH actually cared what they made for SW comics) that really helped flesh out her character and inform the fans why she was on Tatooine to begin with.

I think it's better that Decipher wait until the Anakin has a little something more that he can represent. All he is in Ep1 is a wide-eyed, nine-year old kid who accidently won the Battle of Naboo--something which I think will be reflected in some way. But if the game is going to get ruined due to an actual Anankin card I'd rather it be with Ep2 then when Anakin is a runt ;)

5. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I wonder if he'll be a persona of darth ( what with vader claiming he is no longer anakin skywalker), if he is made that way, then light side might finally have a way of beating those darn jedi killer decks, but the idea of replacing a Lord Vader with a twelve year old kid is quite plainly wrong, imagine that, your fighting a battle, vader is chargin at you and all of a sudden you see a small lid where vader was standing

6. youngvader

youngvader Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 21, 1999
    I think it will be the other way around. Anakin will be vulnerable to be replaced by Vader, just like only Light side Lando can replace the Dark side one.

7. 4Q2

4Q2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2001
    I hate the idea of mixing an Ep. 1 Anakin with classic trilogy characters. But Decipher could (and perhaps should) certainly make an Anakin character that was only playable in Ep. I closed-environment tournaments. In terms of non-closed environment playability, he'd be on par with the 2-Player "Luke" and "Vader", but it's something, anyway.

Perhaps an Anakin card could be a premium in an Episode I Sealed Deck product.....

8. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    Sorry to burst your bubble Red, but if Big D's made a card of the most hated SW character and given him free reign as to where he deploys then you can bet your bottom dollar that they will have lil' Ani Skywalker's image posted on a LS character card.

9. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    I can guarentee you that there will not be an Ep1 version of Anakin Skywalker. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

10. 4Q2

Apr 6, 2001
    Well, I think that's too bad. Not for the overall game (I still have no idea how you would work out the persona situation between Anakin and Vader) but for a closed-environment Ep. I tourney. Anakin was a key character in the movie, and he should have a card.

11. JeffJedi

JeffJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 1999
    They should make him an ability 4 (higher?) power 1-2 and not able to use a lightsaber. Even not being a warrior would slow down lightsaber use a little. Then just not being a persona of Darth Vader ("That name no longer has any meaning for me") and there would be no problem. Does anyone actully care thathe's Luke and Leia's father as far as game terms go? Nah.

I mean it's not like Hasbro was worried about making E1 toys why should decipher worry about it?

I say have fun with the cards, maybe one day make an objective to turn him to Darth Vader (A very powerful version too!)

12. 4Q2

Apr 6, 2001
    Well, I care. I'm buying Tatooine cards as much as I can (only need Obi-Wan and Watto to complete my set) but I'm still not entirely thrilled with the idea of Shmi and Padme and young Obi-Wan being on the table with Luke and Leia and old Obi-Wan. Let's not go into the reasons why right now; it has been beaten to death enough times elsewhere.

Even with my reservations, though, I'm all for an Ep I closed enviornment Anakin. No Luke, no Leia, no Old Ben, no Vader. I'm not sure how you would make a card that could only play in an Ep I closed environment, but I'm sure you could do it.

Here's one way: for Ep I closed environment play, require specific objectives, one for light and one for dark. These objectives specify that you may only play Ep I cards for remainder of game. Then Anakin's gametext says he may only deploy if both light and dark objectives are on the table (and specifies that this restriction may not be canceled, for any cards that say "ignore deployment restrictions"). These objectives could still be used outside of closed environment tourneys, but Anakin could not.

Any thoughts???

13. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    I'm not refuting that an Ep1-only Anakin would be a bad idea or impossible to do. On the contray actually. My hang-up is, why is it so important that he have a card? As I said above what did he do in Ep1 other than pilot a podracer and a Naboo fighter. The first aspect is covered with Anakin's pod. The second could be covered as an Anakin permanent pilot or something. Basically, why chance screwing up the play enviornment royally for a nine-year old kid? Also keep in mind that I have a feeling the closed Episode I envoirnment will turn into the Prequel closed environment and I am prettysure that there will be an Ep2 Anakin for the players to use. An Anakin from Ep2 and/or 3 would just make better sense anyway.

14. JeffJedi

JeffJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 1999
    Well, what did Obi-Wan do but Kill Maul and drive a Bongo?

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The new Obi-Wan does not cause nearly as many gameplay problems as a 9-year-old Anakin would.

16. 4Q2

Apr 6, 2001
    Aww, come on, Red. Shmi did less in the movie than Anakin. Threepio even less than Shmi. Gragra even less than Threepio.
    :)

You need an Ep I Anakin because Episode I was about Anakin. Anakin was key to helping the Queen get off of Tatooine, and helped win the battle of Naboo. If that doesn't deserve a card -- even if it is a card with limited or no playability out of an Ep I closed environment -- I don't know what does.

Sure, we'll want an Ep II/III Anakin, too. And he would be easier to manage gameplay-wise, I'll grant you that. But none of that should preclude a premium Ep I Anakin character to be used solely in Ep I (or "prequel") closed environ gameplay.

I don't think it is as risky as you think. Has 2-Player Luke or Vader "screwed up" the play environment? Nope, 'cause their game text is incredibly restrictive, to the point where they are practically useless outside the "2-Player Game" environment. I think you could do the same with Ep I Anakin, with little or no risk to the overall game environment.

17. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    First off, Shmi and Gragra will hardly ruin the SW gameplay environment which is why I made sure to mention that in my posts as a big part of the reason why Anakin shouldn't be touched...yet.

And I can tell you that Decipher does not make cards strictly for one environment. Reason? Look at the DSII Closed Environement tournies (and the original Bespin and Beyond format). While fun initially the "coolness" soon wore off because the focus on the expansions involved changed as the game involved. Also, SWCCG players (especially the high ranked ones) really don't like having to change their "big money" decks or make entire new ones for one special tourny. So in other words, it would (will) only be a matter of time before the same thing happens to the Ep1 environment when it debuts--and then players would end up with a fairly useless card ;)

18. 4Q2

Apr 6, 2001
    I hear what you're saying, but I remain unconvinced.

The two opposing viewpoints here are:

1) Anakin deserves an Ep I card because his character is integral to the events in the movie; it's a disservice to not have an Anakin card that could at least play in Ep I closed-environment.

2) Anakin does not deserve an Ep I card because it could not be made viable in the overall gaming environment; it would be essentially worthless outside of Ep I closed environments, which will certainly be short-lived.

What do you say we create a poll and let others on the board in on our fun?
    ;)

19. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I hear what Red 84 is saying on all counts, though I really can't support your "what Did He Really Do?" argument. We are talking about the character that would go on to slaughter Jedi an be one of the integral theme of the movies.

Decipher has mentioned an Episode 1 only environment, so we can assume that they are going to do it (then again, theer was going to be a Skywalkers expansion too... ;) )

My point is still this. What is the problem with having an Anakin card that plays only in Ep1? It can easily be done, and would add to the game rather than subtract from it.

You also mentioned what the top players want concerning tournaments. Given, these are the one's most committed to the game and who deserve special mention, but why are they the only one's who Decipher should make any decision concerning. Just because I can't afford to buy boxes because I have a wife and mortgage to support on a teacher's income, does that mean I can't say to my friends, let's build decks that only uses Ep1 card because it would be fun? Gee it would be good to have Anakin in the game because he was a central card to the movie.

People make a big humf and stomp around if their minor characters, or even non-movie characters, aren't treated well in the game.

Well, you ask why does he need a card? I respond because much lesser characters were given special attention (again I make my point on Aurra Sing) yet Anakin was passed over. Imagine the flak that Decipher would be getting if Aurra hadn't got a card?

What did he do indeed!

20. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    You guys keep forgetting the other half of my argument. Again I say: Anakin did not do enough in Ep1 to warrant giving him a card ESPECIALLY when it would have a major impact on the game in a NEGATIVE way. Sure Gragra did not but yell at Jar Jar and look stupid...but then again she wasn't a the focus of the Star Wars Trilogy.

And my point on the closed environments still stands (and I'm gonna be blunt here): good players or not, dedicated players or casual, history has proven that closed environments do not last long. Closed environments thus far have been used primarily used as a marketing tool--DSII closed helped DS and Endor and Bespin and Beyond was meant to showcase Special Edition. Take a look at the Closed Tourny rankings in your regions sometime and you might be surprised how few tournies are held. I know from first-hand experience as a TD and SM that players IN GENERAL prefer normal tournies to closed. How do I know? Because I've never had a successful sanctioned closed emvironment tournament and the game is booming in Kashyyyk (average of 15 players per tourny). Decipher knows about this trend and for that reason do not look for there to be a Ep1-only Anakin. My question to you guys is why can't you just wait for Ep2 or 3 when the Anakin character will be older and have a much more important role?

The bottom line: I would rather Decipher not make an Anakin character until they are sure that it is playtested till they are blue in the face rather than just hastily come out with the character and have it break everything. I don't think we want this game to go down the Dark path... "Quicker, easier, more seductive."

21. 4Q2

Apr 6, 2001
    Okay, Red, I hear what you're saying about "closed environment" tournaments, and I don't disagree.

You ask why we don't want to wait for an Ep II/III Anakin ... well, for me, it's because the Ep I Anakin is a different character. I personally would like to see both! But that's me ... I get excited just having Threepio and Artoo in my decks.
    :)

I don't want D to put out an Anakin card that will "break everything". But that's part of this discussion: what would it take to put out an Anakin card that didn't "break everything"?

I personally see something like a Sealed Deck product, with comparable ls and ds premium objectives like JPSD had. Make the objectives usable in the meta-game environment, like MKOS and AITC are. But make an Anakin character that may only be deployed if the ls and ds objectives are both on the table (a la Prisoner 2187 and Jabba's Prize). (The ds objective would have to prevent Vader from being deployed.)

This wouldn't break the meta-game environment. He would be essentially useless outside of a closed/sealed deck environment. Use Ep II/III Anakin outside the sealed deck environment if you want. (But note, even an Ep II/III Anankin has grave consequences on the game!) But at least we could have some games with an Ep I Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.