main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Anakin should not have been redeemed

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Graves101, Mar 31, 2013.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yeah, that's what I always thought even before the Prequels came out and we got to see how Palpatine manipulated Anakin to the Dark Side. I just felt like in that moment Vader is seeing the evil and manipulation Palpatine represents, realizing that he has been tricked in the same way Palpatine tried to trick Luke, seeing himself to some degree in his son, and feeling love for his son. Vader to me is choosing love for his son over the manipulation and evil Palpatine represents. At least that was always my interpretation, and the Prequels strengthened that impression for me.

2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I thought Anakin was both redeemed and punished for his past actions.

3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Agree with @AEHoward33 .

From both a narrative and a judicial standpoint, Vader's fate was sealed as soon as he revealed that he was Luke's father on Cloud City. There was no way that the bad guys would win in ROTJ, which by all accounts Lucas intended to conclude the OT's storyline in 1980, having scrapped the idea of Luke facing the Emperor in IX after deciding on Vader being Luke's father. Also, the chances of Luke outright killing Vader were reduced with the TESB reveal, but it was still a looming possibility if Vader had remained evil throughout, perhaps the only possibility.
    The other option, naturally, was redeeming him. While this meant that Luke wouldn't kill Vader himself, it also meant that Vader had to die some other way. It would have been too challenging a task to have Anakin live and be accepted back on the good side (this was done in an early draft circa 1980-1981, but abandoned). Leia's reaction to Luke returning to Endor with his dad would be just the tip of the iceberg. At the same time, Lucas never wanted a dark conclusion to the trilogy, and so he couldn't possibly have had Vader imprisoned despite turning good.
    Where did that leave him?
    So yes, Vader did have his cake, but he didn't eat it. He did have something to show for his redemption, and received the best possible ending to his story due to the circumstances.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Worth noting that Gary Kurtz said the plan for future SW films around 1980 was that Vader would die in the third film, but the Emperor would survive into the Sequel Trilogy. That might imply a psychic resurrection or cloning of some sort, or (more likely in my view) it might simply mean what it says at face value: the Emperor wouldn't be killed until the ST.

If Vader remained evil, rather than finding redemption through killing the Emperor, one narrative solution might be for Luke to find a way to put Vader in a fatal situation and simply let it play out.

As Batman Begins put it: "I won't kill you. But I don't have to save you."

Or, in Asimovian terms, Luke wouldn't injure Vader, but through inaction would allow Vader to come to harm. (And the Laws of Robotics would tie in to the man/machine theme, with Luke having become a cyborg in ESB thanks to his mechanical hand.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Emperor Ferus likes this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well not exactly, from what Kurtz said was that the Emperor would not appear until Episode 9 :

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/gary_kurtz_reveals_original_plans_for_episodes_19_80270.asp

https://m.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz?page=4

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019