main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Anakin should not have been redeemed

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Graves101, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Had quite enough of this back & forth about film ratings - it's off topic, hijacking the thread and going nowhere. Drop it, both of you.

2. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    I think for some that is the issue, they assume if somebody is redeemed they are forgiven for their past atrocities. There is another objection, though, that Anakin's redemptive behaviour isn't exactly altruistic or the sudden moment of clarity it is normally made out to be. The good Luke found in Anakin is the same impulse that drove Anakin to the dark side in the first place: attachment.

The British Board of Film Classification works in a very different way from the Motion Picture Association of America. It's not 'trying to be clever' to discuss PG13 movies that are PG13 in the country that came up with the term PG13.

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    So if your going to use that as part of your argument don't assume it was PG 13 everywhere else in the world. There's a big wide world out there that doesn't just consist of America.

4. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    PG13 is an American term so it makes sense that references to that would be concentrated on what the MPAA thinks about films and how they classify them. And weren't you just warned to drop it? I'm dropping it now myself, somehow Darth_Nub's post didn't show up until I had already spoken.

5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Best we drop it.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Poor Mace Windu! Still the fans' scapegoat for the Jedi Order. I guess people would like it better if he was deferential to Anakin.

Which is probably why I like it so much. Gray is so much more interesting.

FARK2005 and Alexrd like this.
  7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    How could there not be an objective standard about a villain whose crimes involve spousal abuse, child-killing, torture, genocide (cosmocide?), and the brutalization of his offspring?

Seriously, what transgression hasn't Vader committed? Rape? (Undoubtedly, that's only because the Mustafar fires wreaked havoc on his phallus.)

ZodaEX likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Anakin wasn't shipped off to join the Jedi, would he still have turned evil?

Son of a Bith likes this.
  9. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    To me, redemption would stem from counter-measures (and throwing your boss down the shaft in order to save your kid's life fails to cut the mustard).

Based on his crimes, Vader's redemption would entail (1) dismantling a Death Star, (2) handing over vital information concerning his fellow Imperial war criminals. (3) digging a grave for every man, woman and child he murdered over the course of twenty years and finally (4) bringing himself before a war crimes tribunal, declaring himself guilty, and accepting the punishment.

Instead, he offed a guy who had just announced his intentions to whack him, enjoyed a reconciliation with his son, died and went to Jedi Heaven. That stinks.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Aaaaaannnd what, again, would you rather see happen? Luke flipping him the bird, Vader dying in agony, and the last shot being him being given a lava swirly by the devil?

Cos that don't sound very Star Wars to me. Nor fitting for a fake theology with roots in Tao and Buddhism.

11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Reveen: As I explained on the first page, ROTJ should have been about a penitent father making a conscious effort to save both his son and the galaxy from the regime he served. So that it's not about Luke snatching his father from the flames, but of Anakin ensuring that his wife's son doesn't follow him on the path to Hell.

The end of TESB suggests a sort of "softening", and I would have loved for Lucas to take this conceit and run with it.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Correction: "could have been".

What should or shouldn't be is only up to Lucas to decide. Not the fans.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Your definition of "redemption" is based on line- by-line atonement. Mine isn't. That doesn't mean one of us has to be wrong. And this is where redemption and forgiveness get conflated.

You are saying that you personally can't forgive Vader unless he conducts the line-by-line list of atonement activities that you mentioned. Which is fine--don't forgive him, continue thinking that it stinks that he got an afterlife with Obi-Wan and Yoda. You're entitled to that opinion.

But that doesn't mean that he hadn't redeemed himself, that he hadn't changed his ways. That only means that you don't think that his acts at the end of his life atone for what he did before.

Which is fine, but those of us who believe that he was redeemed are not "wrong."

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Star Wars is a fairy tale. Of course he didn't deserve redemption, imo he is just as bad as Palpatine and I'm a fan of Darth Vader. But the point of ROTJ was, that no matter how bad you were before - even if you killed more innocents than all mass murderers in human history put together - you can still become good again.

To go a bit meta, if a child does something bad (or an adult for that matter) and is ashamed of this and gets into a downward spiral of depression and self-hate, the message of SW can give some hope. No matter how bad you are, you are nowhere as bad as Vader and even he could become a good person again.

The story in ROTJ isn't about justice, it is about hope.

15. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    This is a beautiful sentence.

16. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Agree with most of that. But for me, Palpatine is just bad full stop. He's the ultimate villain and there is no redeeming qualities in him at all. Anakin/Vader was a tragic character who was manipulated into doing evil things. Ok he had issues due to what had happened to him, but he wasn't inherently evil. (Though Vader in ANH/ESB was utterly ruthless) Luke ultimately brought him his redemption. He could feel the good in him, the conflict.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    There's only so much you can be forced to do through manipulation. At some point (probably when he kneeled before Palpatine in ROTS) he knew fully well he would do very bad things and he chose to do those very bad things. You're not supposed to sympathize with OT-Vader too much because he is frigging evil (I personally still do, but anyways...).

If Vader, a devil-like figure in most of the OT can be redeemed, so can in theory Palpatine. At least that's what the big message tells us and I don't think it should be watered down with exceptions.

The novelization in ROTJ is interesting too. There Luke thinks that he doesn't hate the darksiders, but the dark side itself. Ergo, he doesn't hate evil persons, he hates evil itself. Evil is viewed as some affliction that can befall you and that you can free yourself off.

Going meta again: If you did something bad in real life, you are not a rotten, damned person. Your animal instincts drove you to do something bad. With effort, you can atone for your mistake and free your "real self", become an enlightened being.

minnishe likes this.
  18. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Offcourse. But if you've done something bad, and you feel bad because of your conscience then that's called having a soul. But if you consistently do bad things or 'evil' things and show not even an inkling of remorse for it, do you have a soul?

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Are you asking me in a SW context or real life context?

In real life I'm a positivist and don't believe in a thing called soul.

In Star Wars, your soul can apparently be tainted by the dark side, but you can never really lose it.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It's not like ROTJ is saying "Anakin is hereby redeemed. Forgive him!" All it says is that there is still good in him.
    He is redeemed, though, in the sense that he is brought back to being Anakin Skywalker.
    I think GL himself said it best:

"It really has to do with learning. Children teach you compassion. They teach you to love unconditionally. Anakin can't be redeemed for all the pain and suffering he's caused. He doesn't right the wrongs, but he stops the horror.
    The end of the saga is simply Anakin saying 'I care about this person, regardless of what it means to me. I will throw away everything that I have, everything that I've grown to love - primarily the Emperor - and throw away my life, to save this person. And I'm doing it because he has faith in me; he loves me despite all the horrible things I've done. I broke his mother's heart, but he still cares about me, and I can't let that die.'
    Anakin is very different in the end. The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

- "The Making of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith", page 221

- He's more machine now than man - twisted and evil.
    - From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

/LM

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "He doesn't right the wrongs, but he stops the horror" I think best sums it up.

Righting the wrongs isn't the point IMO, and those who say that he can't do that, are correct.

To me stopping the horror is the point.

Whether that means he "deserved" an afterlife with Obi-Wan and Yoda, I don't know and don't care, in our own universe I don't believe in an afterlife anyway.

But I don't think the other alternative to the throne room scene--Vader allowing the Emperor to kill Luke--would have made a better story and it certainly would not have made Vader a better character.

oncafar, Bob Octa and minnishe like this.
  22. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Here's a question that I'm sure has been asked before: if all we had was the OT, would people's opinion of whether Vader was "redeemable" be different? In other words, if you lived in the 1990s and the prequels were just a figment of Lucas's imagination, and Vader was a brutal military enforcer but none of what was seen in ROTS happened ("yet") would that make a difference to anyone's opinion here?

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not mine, as Vader's redemption at the end of ROTJ is what made me a hard-core Star Wars fan.

In 1983.

oncafar and Bob Octa like this.
  24. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes.

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I have to ask, but why? This isn't just applicable to you in particular, by the way. It's something that's always puzzled me in that people say after seeing the prequels they can't forgive Anakin, but with the OT, they could.

How is anything Anakin did in ROTS worse than his complicity in the destruction of Alderaan? There were billions of people on that planet. Even if you only hold him 1/1000th responsible (though I think it was more, personally), that's still "equal" to a million people's lives. And it was so utterly senseless too. I can see some kind of ****ed up logic concerning the attack on the Jedi Temple and the Separtists. Not in the case of Alderaan though which was destructive idiocy at its worst.

Game3525 and minnishe like this.