main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin should not have killed the younglings

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by truthspeaker, Apr 25, 2014.

1. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I think you say that like Anakin was doing it because he wanted to and had something against them. Anakin actions were driven by his ego and obsession to prevent Padme's death.

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Who are you addressing? Quotes would help. If you were addressing me, no, I don't think Anakin really wanted to do any of those things. More like he saw it as a necessary evil, and maybe also to show his obedience to his new master, who promised to help him achieve his goals - save Padmé - and overcome his fears. I think Sidious sent Anakin as some sort of test or rite, to see if he was really worth the effort and had what it took to become a Sith disciple. Much like Yoda insisted that Luke would have to kill his father to become a true Jedi.... only he was wrong. :confused: I don't know really....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I know exactly why he did it because the film spells it out, as you did. I’m saying that dramatically, given what we’d actually seen of Anakin’s actions, it felt like a little more could’ve been done to make such a brutal murderous turn seem convincing.

Doompup and BlueYogurt like this.
  4. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Like what?

5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d argue that his fear of Padme’s death needed another sequence or two to cement it as a desperate one, and following that, a couple more dubious choices by Anakin aimed at avoiding that outcome should have been shown, in order to culminate in a the youngling massacre in a more convincing way. It was too brutal an act, too quickly. He wasn’t far gone enough to do it, IMO. Reminds me of Dany’s decision in the GoT finale. The character just wasn’t quite at that level of brutality left, and so it felt off. More shock value, but less believability.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Out of curiosity, how many children do you think were on Alderaan when it was destroyed? My estimate would be in the millions to hundreds of thousands. Vader not having a moral qualm about children dying on a large scale was not something invented by the PT. It was an established trait of his in the OT.

To me, Vader's most morally reprehensible act was standing by while Alderaan was destroyed and plainly being okay with that happening.

It's always strange to me when people are fine with Vader being cool with Tarkin just blowing up Alderaan like it's another day at the Imperial office, but find it unforgivable that Vader slaughtered a room full of children in ROTS.

If he was forgivable after Alderaan, I don't see why he can't be redeemed after killing less children in ROTS.

7. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic. It doesn't make sense, but it is a very real human reaction to death on a massive scale. While it's true that Vader stood by and watched while Alderaan was destroyed, he did not give the order for it's destruction, and he did (briefly) argue against it, at least in the Radio Drama (though not for any moral reason).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  8. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    Or someone can choose to understand both is not good here.

Vader didn't argue against the destruction of Alderaan, that I remember, he just dismissed the death star's power. That's not arguing against anything. Vader didn't care about those people, as far as the movie showed. How is the slaughtering of the younglings, particularly, a ruining of the character and how does it make him not a great villain?

Vader also didn't give the order for the younglings to be slaughtered. That was Palpatine, wasn't it?

9. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    While it’s not worse than any of the murders he committed or was complicit to as an imperial general. Vader killing the younglijgs personally does spark more hatred towards him specifically from the audience, so @BlueYogurt is right that in emotional reaction it’s more tragic than the destruction of Alderaan. However it’s exactly the emotion the film wants to elicit. To show that Vader deserves everything coming to him. Also, as has been pointed out, the Emperor orders it to test his strength in the dark side. As Anakin is willing to do anything to rule “his empire” and save Padmé, he obeys his master. I think it’s totally in line with his character, after all it wasn’t the first time.

Mostly Handless and BlueYogurt like this.
  10. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Vader argued against destroying Alderaan in the Radio Drama, but only because he thought the emperor should have been consulted, first.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  11. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Exactly right. Killing children makes the character of Vader repulsive (or at least it should), and that was a mistake. You can't sympathize with a child murderer, so why should we care when the character is finally "redeemed" in ROTJ?

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I hated Vader quite a good deal after Alderaan. More than after the Jedi Temple slaughter. I at least get a sense of angst and remorse from Vader after the Temple slaughter, whereas I don't get the feeling that Vader experiences any sense of guilt or grief about Alderaan.

The Temple slaughter is also not Anakin's first time killing younglings in the PT.

He slaughtered Tusken Raider children in AOTC. The Tusken Raider children were innocents just like the Jedi younglings.

So not something new to his character that was created just for ROTS.

It is all just a natural and logical progression of the Anakin/Vader character. The teenager who was driven by anger and revenge to slaughter Tusken Raider children in a few years time becomes a man who kills a room full of Jedi younglings in ROTS, and even more years down the line as a Dark Lord of the Sith, thinks it is cool to watch an entire world with millions or at least hundred of thousands of children get blown up because Leia was suspected of being a rebel.

Anakin/Vader is a character who shows multiple times throughout the OT and the PT that he will kill and otherwise harm children. In the OT, Vader isn't merely okay with the destruction of Alderaan (goodbye, millions of innocent children) but chops off the arm of his own son, and in the PT, Anakin slaughters a innocent Tusken Raider children before he even falls to the Dark Side. Is it any wonder that after he falls to the Dark Side, this same character will slaughter a room full of Jedi children? I would say, no, that is a predictable narrative and character progression. And not long after killing all those Jedi younglings, he chokes his pregnant wife, seriously endangering the life in her womb at the time.

So I do not see how Vader killing a room full of Jedi younglings is something uniquely terrible that ruins his character or makes him irredeemable in a way that standing by while Alderaan is blown up with presumably millions of innocent children on the planet at the time, slaughtering the Tusken Raider children, chopping of his own son's arm, and choking his pregnant wife does not.

wobbits and Iron_lord like this.
  13. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Darth Vader is a fictional villain. If he was a real person, then what you're arguing would be true. Since he's not, the depiction of him as a child murderer (as well as many of the other atrocities you've citied from the PT), was rather a strange choice on the part of George Lucas. It's bad story telling, and it makes it almost impossible to care when Vader is ultimately redeemed.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I hate that aphorism, even if for large parts of humanity, it seems to be true. A million deaths in an instant should strike everyone as an almost unspeakable tragedy. Maybe we should start producing and distributing empathy pills or something.

15. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    I hate it too, and I hate the person it's attributed to even more, but based on the way most people seem to think, it's absolutely true.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  16. dagenspear

Sep 9, 2015
    That's not in the movies, and even you just suggested it wasn't a moral argument.
    No. He's no more repulsive than he's ever been. He's a villain. There was never any bones about that. You're creating this notion that this is somehow beyond him. He has no moral qualms about the destruction of a planet and everyone on it. It doesn't matter if some may see it as statistic or not. That's not morally better than what he does in ROTS. If you didn't see it that way, or some others didn't, I think that's not any of the movies fault.
    No. Vader was specifically stated to have helped the empire hunt down and destroy the jedi, that would have had to include minors, as Yoda says in TESB that Luke is too old to begin the training. This isn't new information created for ROTS. You don't decide it's bad storytelling.

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Vader was fine with the destruction of Alderaan and with committing many other crimes in the OT. So the strange choice should really be in choosing to present Vader as a redeemable character in the OT. ROTJ is the film meant to make the case that Vader is redeemable; ROTS and the PT as a whole are only showing how the villain that is Vader came to be. His backstory as it were.

If one is willing to forgive Vader for Alderaan and other atrocities, there is really no reason not to be willing to forgive him for slaughtering the Jedi younglings and the Tusken Raider children and choking his pregnant wife. Either one is willing to forgive it all or one is not. For those willing to forgive it all, Star Wars can be a powerful and profound story of redemption. For those not willing to forgive it all, probably the story does seem "strange" and "bad" because even when Vader is burning in the lava on Mustafar, it is not really presented as a triumphant moment so much as a tragic one for both Obi-Wan and Anakin. So for those wanting justice or vengeance, Star Wars is probably not the most appealing story. For those more moved by redemption, it can feel very moving and well-told and perhaps even more powerful for the story we get in the PT.

Some will think the PT is strange or bad storytelling, but for others the PT will succeed as presenting a tragic backstory for Anakin Skywalker that adds to the story and meaning they got from the OT.

wobbits, Valiowk and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  18. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    Not necessarily. When Lucas wrote the script for Star Wars, I doubt he thought Jedi were trained as children. Ben Kenobi, when speaking of Luke's father in ROTJ, said that when he first knew him, Anakin was already a great pilot. This doesn't sound like he's talking about a child. He then had to jump through hoops to make that quote work, in TPM. Yes, Yoda said that Luke was too old in ESB, but how do we know he didn't just mean a few years too old? Maybe 18 or 19 was the optimum age to begin training. From what we saw in the OT, it didn't seem like it took decades to become a Jedi. Of course, I'm just doing mental gymnastics. I'm sure that Vader wouldn't have hesitated to kill anyone, if he thought he had a reason. It's just that 40 years ago, George Lucas would have known not to address that on screen.

19. BlueYogurt

Aug 26, 2021
    There's a right way, and a wrong way to write a good villain. George Lucas did it the right way in the OT, but dropped the ball in the PT. You don't make the main villain of an epic Sci Fi fantasy series, a psychotic child killer. How many kids do you see wearing John Wayne Gacey costumes on Halloween?

20. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    And YOU are the one to judge? [face_laugh]
    Who cares what kids dress up as on Halloween? Is that some kind of objective indicator of what villains in movies can or can't do?? I'm sure tons of them dress up as Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers or Leatherface.
    YES, Darth Vader killed kids in ROTS (either LIVE with it or boycott the prequels altogether..... I strongly suggest you do :D), then again millions or billions in ANH. But YOU think Alderaan somehow doesn't count? [face_rofl]
    Sorry, you are simply disqualifying yourself more and more with every post.

21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @BlueYogurt There is not one way to write a good villain. There are multiple ways to write a good villain just as there are multiple types of good villains.

I read a lot of fantasy and science fiction. Fantasy and science fiction are my favorite genres. There isn't one type of main villain in fantasy and science fiction. There can be different types especially as fantasy finally pulls away from ideas like the only type of fantasy that can be good or that people are interested in reading are those heavily copied from Lord of the Rings or paying homage to Lord of the Rings.

There is no real reason that a science fiction/fantasy series can't have a psychotic child killer to use your terminology as the main villain. I mean, that is pretty much what Voldemort is throughout the entire Harry Potter series. He is the dude who tried to kill Harry Potter (the protagonist) as a baby, and then makes an almost annual habit of trying to kill Harry again from the time Harry is eleven to the time Harry is seventeen (he only takes a break the year Harry is thirteen--now that's a twisted sort of dedication). For that series, in fact, it is much more effective that Voldemort is a psychotic child killer than that he is not. If the audience didn't believe that Voldemort had it in him to be a psychotic child killer, there would be less of a sense of danger and tension in his almost yearly conflicts with the protagonist because the audience would absolutely know Voldemort wasn't going to kill Harry since Voldemort has some sort of moral qualm or hang-up about killing children. That's just one example from one of the most popular and profitable fantasy franchises in history. A franchise explicitly marketed toward children.

Besides that, I would argue that the main villain of Star Wars as written by George Lucas is Palpatine, not Vader. By the end of the OT, Palpatine is meant to be seen as the ultimate big bad villain rather than Vader. As the manipulator and the tempter. The one who drew Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side and is seriously tempting Luke to fall in the same way. So if there is an archetypical big bad fantasy villain in Star Wars, it really is meant to be Palpatine, not Vader.

Certainly, in the PT, Anakin is not meant to be the main villain. He is portrayed as the protagonist and tragic hero of the PT (a very different type of hero than the classic hero the OT depicts Luke as being, but a type that is just as valid and can be just as well-written as classic heroes). The choice to make Anakin Skywalker a tragic hero in the PT actually works quite well with the backstory we get of Anakin Skywalker in the OT as this once great Jedi Knight and warrior who was tempted to the Dark Side. So the PT conceptually is meant to expand on that backstory, and tragic hero type story for Anakin fits that envisioned arc like a glove. Most tragic heroes are cast from that same mold of initially noble and good character with a defining flaw that results in their undoing whether it's Macbeth's overleaping ambition or Anakin's inability to accept death. The Anakin Skywalker of the PT, then, isn't meant to be the main villain of the PT. He's meant to be the tragic hero of it, and interestingly, tragic heroes can be psychotic child killers to borrow your terminology again. For example, Macbeth kills Macduff's children and tries to kill his best friend's son Fleance.

The main villain of the PT is Palpatine/Sidious operating through manipulation and from the shadows and as the tempter that brings the tragic hero, Anakin, to the Dark side. Narratively speaking, Anakin Skywalker (even after he turns to the Dark Side) isn't even supposed to be a villain in the PT. He is still the tragic hero.

Not sure what your point is about Halloween costumes. Children don't tend to dress up as Hamlet, Macbeth, or Othello for Halloween either or at least they don't in my neck of the woods. Doesn't mean Shakespeare did a bad job writing those characters. I wouldn't use children's Halloween costumes as a barometer of good or bad character writing myself.

22. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
  23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks!

24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I have always assumed that. But I never could understand why, even after the PT had finished, certain fans have tried to paint Vader as the main villain.

This is a very good similarity to Anakin's murder of the younglings inside the Temple.

25. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Disagree. The killing of children was necessary to show us the depths of the Dark Side.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.