main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin vs Obi Wan breakdown w/Nick Gillard

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Havok176, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Havok176

Havok176 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    -Talks about the origins of where the "I have the high ground" idea came from.
    -The original ending of the fight that he really wanted to keep but George didn't allow it.
    -The speed they went was all them no camera effect to speed them up.
    -The way he wrote the fight was with Anakin thinking Obi Wan was having a affair with Padme.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I never knew how different that fight could have been

3. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The GOAT duel. Episode IX didnt even try to one up it. Its almost impossible.

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks for sharing another great breakdown of an epic Star Wars duel with us. I agree with @Deliveranze that for me it is the all time greatest Star Wars duel and with @Jedi Knight Fett that I never knew how differently the duel could have ended.

It's funny to hear the inspiration for the "high ground" bit was Hayden's aversion to climbing hills[face_laugh]

Very impressive that the duel didn't need to be sped up by the cameras; really shows the talent and energy that Hayden and Ewan brought to this fight. The kilometer long and twelve minutes in length facts really emphasize the scale of this epic confrontation between Jedi and newly minted Sith Lord.

Interesting that the duel was created with the idea that Anakin would believe Padme was having an affair with Obi-Wan. I think that might have been a bigger plot point in ROTS originally that was cut down due to space and time constraints, but hints of it remain in Anakin's dialogue before the duel, question to Padme about if Obi-Wan had been there, and vision of Obi-Wan with a dying Padme. All those do suggest that sort of growing paranoia and jealousy in Anakin.

5. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    Fascinating.

IHeartKenobi89 likes this.
  6. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    They worked their butts off! A 12 minute long sequence at that distance and the speed they were working? Most impressive. I love this duel!

Thanks for posting this video!

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I love the duel! It’s OK me of the highlights of the saga.

That said: I’ve never been a fan of the subplot in which Palpatine suggests a relationship between Padme and Obi-Wan. I get it—it plays on Anakin’s anxious–preoccupied attachment style stemming from him being separated from his mother at a young age—but I never liked it and I’m still glad it was cut.

Mark Pierre, wobbits, oierem and 2 others like this.
  8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Agree. That always seemed like a cliche and quick motivation for Anakin to kill Obi-Wan.

wobbits, oierem and Count Yubnub like this.
  9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Plus, it's just too much. There are enough reasons for Anakin to turn. Adding more reasons, just for the sake of it, makes him more stupid: Palpatine says something different in every scene ("the Jedi don't trust you", "the dark side can save Padme", "Padme is hiding something", "Obi-Wan is hiding something"...) and Anakin swallows all that? No, thanks.

10. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    The alternative ending would have been much more believable. In fact, earlier on in the fight when Anakin was choking Obi Wan, I was actually very worried that Obi Wan could make a sneak attack on Anakin using a lightsaber while Anakin's attention was focused on the choking. Even though Anakin appeared to have an advantage at that point, I knew he was still in great danger because it takes a few minutes to actually choke someone to death and a lot can happen in those few minutes.

whostheBossk likes this.