main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga "And All Points North" a tale from AOTC: Cover art added at last

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthBreezy, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    @};-@};-@};-@};-First things first .... Happy Birthday, Esteemed Author! From one luminous being to another... @};-

May you have a wonderful day... and then come back refreshed and with more absorbing ideas up your sleeve!

This is a lovely story. The circumstances may not be that pleasant - war and the suffering it brings never is - but your characters (both canon and OC) are so alive and there is so much warmth in the telling that I hope it's a long, long story. I'm very happy to see Kam and Shurke again - about as happy as they are to see one another!

I'm really looking forward to more.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Just and unabashed self [face_love]

3. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    Wonderful post I really liked the descriptions you set out and Obi Wan and the healers emotions. I can't wait for more.

4. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Just another unabashed [face_love]

Replies tommorow!!

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I like unabashed. :) It's well-deserved, breez

6. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Wonderful interaction between Kam and Schurke. I'm enjoying the history of their circle of friends a lot, but then I've been looking forward to it for a while. :) The allusions to her closeness with Gris and Gris's growing distance from the Jedi are so much what I would have expected. And Schurke's uncertainty where Kam is concerned is sweet, particularly when he is usually so comfortable around the ladies.

The scene between Kam and Obi-Wan was very well done. She sure holds her own with Jedi Masters (and well she should). Loved the references to Qui-Gon & Dooku - especially Obi-Wan correcting himself to omit the Master from Dooku's title.

7. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Replies time!

And what the hell, a new posty...

Kynstar

Oh great job there between the two! Your OCs are great!!! Can't wait for when she returns to be with Schurke!

Soon soon!!

Ohhh this was interesting!

*Kampher laughed a little as she finished applying the bacta solution ~ Unbidden, Master ? no ? Count Dooku?s words came back to haunt him. Qui-Gon would have never accepted the corruption in the Senate, nor the implied corruption in the Jedi Order itself? *

Little humor mixed with seriousness at the end. Ahhh but Dooku has him thinking! hehehehe 'tis true but how far would have Qui-Gon gone? I don't think he'd left the Order as Dooku did, but he'd been extremely stressful with the Council on the issues. Oh well... guess we'll never know...

Not here anyway...

Awesome chappie!!! These OCs are building

Thank you!

DarthIshtar

I really am in love with Shurke as an OC, the bitter, forced humor melting into genuine need paired with compassion.

I love him to peices, even when he gives me headaches...

Dally

A very good story so far! I like your OCs. Please continue!

Oh we shall!

anakin_girl

Sweet of you to give us a present for your birthday, Breezy...

:p

I love the conversation between Kam and Schurke, so indicative of the friendship they share, that they are able to banter even in the midst of tragedy, even as they are sharing their fears and grieving the losses on Geonosis.

It is hte nature of things for them isn't it...

Good background on the friendship between Kam and Schurke and Gris, and later, Anakin, as well...I don't remember that being in K&EB...of course I'm braindead right now...

You get used to it when it's a perpetual state of being.... :p

This line made me laugh: I just don?t want to see you in any more pain. There?s a reason for the Code. As long as it doesn't interfere with your exploits, huh, Schurke?

O:)

Gotta love Schurke, always protecting his friends.

The description of Anakin's injuries... Ow ow ow ow ow...

Nasty huh?

I like seeing Obi-Wan next to Anakin's side, holding his hand...so typical of Obi-Wan. And Kam's lecture to Obi-Wan: Go Kam!

Yes, no mouse is my lady!

Jazz_Skywalker

Kampher only nodded as she made her way back down the passageway, leaving the Master and Apprentice - father and son ? alone for a while.

I love seeing fics where Anakin and Obi-Wan aren't fighting! Awesome post!

I guess it would be good to say there is a bit more of that...

JDH3

Your OCs...

?He?ll lose almost the entire arm here,? she said almost clinically. ~ Do I make myself clear??

?As an adegan crystal, Mistress Healer.?

Brilliant, DB!

Thank you!

geo3

First things first .... Happy Birthday, Esteemed Author! From one luminous being to another...

May you have a wonderful day... and then come back refreshed and with more absorbing ideas up your sleeve!

Thank you! I did!

This is a lovely story. The circumstances may not be that pleasant - war and the suffering it brings never is - but your characters (both canon and OC) are so alive and there is so much warmth in the telling that I hope it's a long, long story. I'm very happy to see Kam and Shurke again - about as happy as they are to see one another!I'm really looking forward to more.

Soon Soon!!

Hananiah

Wonderful post I really liked the descriptions you set out and Obi Wan and the healers emotions. I can't wait for more.

Sooon!!

DarthIshtar

I like unabashed. It's well-deserved, breezy

[face_laugh]

Reihla

Wonderful interaction between Kam and Schurke. I'm enjoying the history of their circle of friends a lot, but then I've been looking forward to it for a while. The allusions to her closeness with Gris and Gris's growing distance from the Jedi are so much what I wo

8. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    And All Points North

Chapter 3

He is an ignoble man who doesn't know how to die. I knew it as a boy of fifteen.
    -- Ludwig van Beethoven, in a letter to a friend

Don?t look back?

Here there was warmth.

And Light.

Don?t Look Back?

It was his mother?s voice.

Ani?

Mom?

Don?t look back?.

The light was fading, as was the warmth.

He could hear other voices calling to him.

Anakin ? Anakin! Stay!

But it was so cold there.

And Pain.

He turned back to the light.

Don?t look back?

Don?t do this to me Toboo! To us?

He recognized the voice as Kampher?s, his friend, but her pull wasn?t as strong as the light.

Ani? Anakin! Where are you taking him?

Padmé?

Don?t look back?

More voices, some angry and insistent.

Let us do our duty Master Kenobi?

Obi-Wan?s voice, clearer than the rest, but full of fear.

Come with me Padmé, he?ll be alright.

Don?t look back?

He felt warmth ? love ? a sense of being wanted.

Stay with us Toboo?

Padmé being lead away weeping. Obi-Wan?s voice again, growing weaker.

Anakin!

Anakin ? come with me?

Kampher?s voice, low and soft but clear, and Anakin realized that it was her voice that was staving off the light. He felt ? torn?

Mom?

Don?t look back?

His mother?s voice was softer now.

Darkness.

It was a moment. It was eternity.

Light. Like the dawn.

Anakin, stay with us? Stay with me? Please?

He became dimly aware of his surroundings. The weight of the blankets on his body, the restraints that were holding him fast to the bed.

And Obi-Wan?s hand gripping his own.

It was Obi-Wan who had made this last plea, and Anakin felt the love, the need for him to stay. He tried to answer, to cry out but found he had no breath. Fear became a very real, a personal thing.

Breathe

Kampher?s soft voice and cool hand on his head seemed to relieve the pressure on his chest and he took in a great gasp of purified air. He was dimly aware that Obi-Wan had done the same as the grip tightened on his hand.

Anakin tried to open his eyes, but they felt gritty and bleary and full of the sand of his home world. It was too much of an effort and instead he reached out to find Obi-Wan through the Force.

Yes, there he was?

Master? Anakin whispered, his voice cracking with the effort. Master?

Anakin felt Obi-Wan brush his cheek with his fingers and a soothing coolness run through his veins.

Sleep now Toboo? Kampher?s soft familiar voice, and he would.

But not yet.

He reached up slowly, it felt like his arm was made of duracreate and was stretching into eternity. Obi-Wan clasped it into his own, holding it close, it was all he needed.

Anakin drifted off into a sleep that was now dreamless, but safe.

?Is he alright?? Obi-Wan asked for what could have been the third time - or the thirtieth.

Kampher sighed, visibly shaken. ?Yes,? she said at last, touching his head. ?See the difference Master Kenobi? He?s actually resting, not just succumbing to the sedation.?

?What happened to him just then Mistress Healer?? Obi-Wan asked, in the heat of the moment, Obi-Wan fell back on the formalities as he tried to regain himself.

?He chose,? Kampher said simply. ?He chose??

Obi-Wan raised an eyebrow, his face a mask of confusion and weariness.

?I-I don?t understand??

?He chose to stay with us Master Obi-Wan. Instead of leaving??

Obi-Wan fell silent and distant as he absently stroked Anakin?s fore-head.

?We?ll be arriving at the Docking bay within an hour Master Kenobi? The Senator- she wanted to see Anakin once more before we transport him to the Healers Ward in the Temple. Is that alright with you??

?Yes?? he said absently. ?Go ahead and send her in.?

Kampher bowed slightly, then disappeared past the curtain which had been drawn around them. A few moments later, Padmé Amidala, looking almost as tired and as disheve

9. qtrhrs78

qtrhrs78 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    Wow, that was a great chapter.

10. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Wow! :eek:

The silence between them was only broken by the slow and steady sound of Anakin?s respirator. It was the cold, sterile sound - a heartbeat of machinery that beat the slow but steady tattoo of a war drum.

At first, Obi-Wan could not trust himself to even look at Amidala. He wanted to rage at her, tear into her with all the force of a storm on Da'nor. He wanted to scream and strike out ? Destroy and devastate and unleash the hells of his heart?

?Obi-Wan?? she said softly and moved a hand to his shoulder.

It was then that the tears came.

?I couldn?t do anything!? Obi-Wan sobbed burying his face into his hands. ?I was ? I was helpless!! Worse than helpless!?

That is just flat out wonderful, no doubt about it. :D The emotion and feel of that scene jumped off the page at me. The bit about the respirator was in a word, chilling. And the way you had Obi-Wan fall apart after setting him up previously made the impact that much more profound. Very well done! :D

Padme's admission, unfinished as it was, was superb.

?And All Points North Padmé? Why that is wherever you wish to go ? anywhere your heart desires??

Okay, a little backround on why I love this title explanation. My grandfather worked for the railroad in Canada for forty odd years, and trains are a a large part of my family history- my mother's especially. Needless to say, this section of the post brings many memories and old family stories to mind. Very fitting explanation, and nice to see this idea adapted to a star wars fic.

Once again, this was an amazing post, DB. :)

JD.

11. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh this was sooooooooooooo awesome!!! Excellent post!! Loved how it was Obi who was the final caller and the one he heeded to stay alive!!! *mush!* so great!!!

Great job!!! Loved it!!

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    YAY! He chose!

13. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    :eek: Great stuff!!

He turned back to the light.

Don?t look back?

The beginning stream of consciousness was beautiful, I love how everyone was part of it.

What a touching relationship you have created between Obi-Wan and Anakin, sometimes it take a tragedy to fully appreciate/realize what you have. I also like the way Padme and Obi-Wan suddenly dropped the formal pretense, realizing it no longer mattered.

Can't wait to read more!

14. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Lovely chapter!

15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Just the tolken [face_love]

16. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    *rushes in late, panting*

I love this, Breezy. Anakin's near-death scene made me cry. Seeing the power of love bring someone back from the edge--it's beautiful, and gives hope to the reader.

Obi-Wan's anger at Padme turning to tears when she touched him was so real, so typical a reaction. Poor Obi-Wan, blaming himself for Anakin's injuries. :_|

The conversation between Anakin and Padme was so in character for both of them. And I love the reference to "all points north" at the end...where she and Anakin are headed... [face_love]

Excellent post my friend. [face_love]

17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ahh replies time, as it's nearly Thursday!!

qtrhrs78

Wow, that was a great chapter.

Thank you!

JDH3

That is just flat out wonderful, no doubt about it. The emotion and feel of that scene jumped off the page at me. The bit about the respirator was in a word, chilling. And the way you had Obi-Wan fall apart after setting him up previously made the impact that much more profound. Very well done!

OOOH ta!!!! :)

Padme's admission, unfinished as it was, was superb.

?And All Points North Padmé? Why that is wherever you wish to go ? anywhere your heart desires??

[face_love]

Okay, a little backround on why I love this title explanation. My grandfather worked for the railroad in Canada for forty odd years, and trains are a a large part of my family history- my mother's especially. Needless to say, this section of the post brings many memories and old family stories to mind. Very fitting explanation, and nice to see this idea adapted to a star wars fic.

Thank you for sharing that story, as we discussed on AIM, it was my memories of the rail line in England that sparked it for me... there's just something magical about them...

Kynstar

Oh this was sooooooooooooo awesome!!! Excellent post!! Loved how it was Obi who was the final caller and the one he heeded to stay alive!!! *mush!* so great!!!

Yes, and as a small clue, it's not the end of the "Obi-mush... "

A new face you shall soon meet!

*cough* PM chapters anyone?

DarthIshtar

YAY! He chose!

Yes, he chose to live...

RebelScum77

The beginning stream of consciousness was beautiful, I love how everyone was part of it.

Thank you, those are very hard to write!

What a touching relationship you have created between Obi-Wan and Anakin, sometimes it take a tragedy to fully appreciate/realize what you have. I also like the way Padme and Obi-Wan suddenly dropped the formal pretense, realizing it no longer mattered.

There are only a few people Obi-Wan will drop his reserve around... in surprising ways...

Dally

Lovely chapter!

Thank you!

anakin_girl

I love this, Breezy. Anakin's near-death scene made me cry. Seeing the power of love bring someone back from the edge--it's beautiful, and gives hope to the reader.

Thank you!!

Obi-Wan's anger at Padme turning to tears when she touched him was so real, so typical a reaction. Poor Obi-Wan, blaming himself for Anakin's injuries.

Padme isn't his only confidant.... [face_devil]

The conversation between Anakin and Padme was so in character for both of them. And I love the reference to "all points north" at the end...where she and Anakin are headed...

Thanks! You know how He is... I finally understood when this chapter came to an end....

Alright, there are one or two hints of what's to come!!

See you Thursday!!!

[face_love]

18. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Well of course I welcome PM chappies! ;) hehehe send them whenever they occur! :D

19. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Ditto- of course I'd love to get the PM chapters!

JS

20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ahh soon enough, in the meantime, a few illustraions for your pleasure...

You know these two gentalmen....

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/characters/obi.jpg]

and [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/characters/Ani.jpg]

And of course...

Padme:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/characters/padme.jpg]

For those who have never met:

Kampher;

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/characters/Kam.jpg]

Schurke;

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/characters/schurke_edited.jpg]

And a new character whom you'll soon meet...

(and even though she looks like Stockard Channing, it's a new OC!)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/DarthBreezy/characters/Enastockardchanning.jpg]

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ok, it's Thursday!

Here we go!

And All Points North

Chapter 4

All alone, or in twos,
    The ones who really love you
    Walk up and down outside the wall

------------------Roger Waters, The Wall

He?ll lose the arm right here?

This hissing of the machinery - it was an obscenity.

He speaks so highly of you, Master Kenobi?

The wreck of the man that was his Padawan.

If you, his Master and father figure, can understand and accept this new state of affairs, it will go a long way toward helping him understand and accept.

Understand and accept.

Anakin is alive, Obi-Wan?

This last thought felt almost alien ? as if it had come from outside?

Obi-Wan stopped and leaned heavily against a grimy duracrete wall and closed his eyes. On the last of his visits to the Healer?s Ward, Anakin had been almost conscious, crying out to unseen ? at least to anyone else in the room ? entities, until the young Healer(Kampher ? that was her name?) had come to alleviate his suffering.

Whose suffering, Obi-Wan? Anakin?s? Or your own?

Obi-Wan suppressed a shudder at the memory. Anakin seemed to be engaged in conversations that he alone could hear, and one of the unseen participants had been Qui-Gon Jinn.

Master, he doesn?t hear you! Anakin had cried, eyes wide and far seeing. He doesn?t see?

Obi-Wan had placed a cool wet cloth on Anakin?s fever-sheened forehead.

This is getting better? Obi-Wan thought to himself nervously as he mopped his Padawan?s face. Anakin, son of my heart, you haven?t been this ill since you were a child?

A fevered cry of Master! had brought the Healer running in, but she had paused wide-eyed at the head of Anakin?s bedside? had she seen something, too? Had Anakin in his extremis managed to project his fevered visions onto others?
    The world had began to go grey around him?

A second Healer had arrived at Anakin?s bedside, and as Kampher sent the second healer off in the distance, Obi-Wan heard Kampher?s voice cry out.

Fetch Master Yoda?

As he gave into the encroaching darkness, Obi-Wan was vaguely aware of a new voice, familiar and soothing.

It?s all right, Padawan. Just trust in the Force and it will be all right?

When he awoke, Obi-Wan half expected to see Qui-Gon?s vivid blue eyes looking into his own, but instead found himself face to face with a pair of dark brown ones. He was sitting in a chair next to Anakin?s bedside with the Healer Kampher loomingover him, her face a mask of concern.

?Are you all right, Master Kenobi?? She asked feeling his forehead. ?You seem to have taken a bit of a bad step.?

?How is Anakin?? he asked suddenly as he sat up. ?He was feverish? delirious??

?He?s going to be fine, Master Kenobi,? Kampher assured him, but there was something in her eyes?

?You saw something-? Obi-Wan began but Kampher turned away.

?Perhaps out you should go, Obi-Wan,? came a gentle voice from the doorway as Yoda made his way into the room. ?Need time away to gather yourself, you do. Talk to young Healer Lutador, I must??

He had to get out.

Away from the Temple.

Away from the Healers.

Away from the prying eyes and whispers.

Out.

Obi-Wan wound his way through the bowels of Couruscant and down to the Coco District, allowing his thoughts to drift along with his feet. Soon enough, he found himself at the entrance of a familiar if not often visited place.

Dur Vis

He opened the door and spoke out to the darkness.

?Hello, Ena??

*Poke*

?Hello? Is there anybody in there??

*Poke*

?You need to sit up, Toboo. Kam will have my hide if she comes back and finds that you haven?t taken any water.?

*Poke*

?Come on Toboo, I know you?re awake.?

Anakin rolled his head to the side, then swore as pain lanced through his shoulder. He opened his eyes to find Schurke leaning over him with a sma

22. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh how sweet! Qui (might have been) was checking in on them! [face_love] (if he was hehehehe) Poor Obi... yeah he wouldn't be able to see/hear him cuz he would believe him truly gone. But Anakin would still hold onto that thought of maybe/perhaps.

It would take Obi either to be too weak or really hurt to be able to see/hear Qui. Let's see if he believes in what he heard or whether he'll attribute it to his 'weak state' that he was in. hehehehe

Ahhh Anakin! How sweet about thinking of Padme ;)

Aha is the lil healer jealous? Or juz worried about Anakin's health and state of mind? Hrmmmm

Great chappie!!!!

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, she left him the japor snippet. And that line that followed was so sweet...poor Kampher. And Schurke and the leg, I still cringe about that whole thing.

24. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Very good chapter. I especially like the part with the japor snippet.

25. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Oh, poor Obi-Wan. :( Worrying about Anakin and then initially feeling left out of Anakin's conversations with Qui-Gon, too. I'm glad Qui showed up to tell him everything would be OK. Either way he must feel like he's going nuts.

Very curious as to who this Ena is... ;)

I love Anakin and Schurke's conversation. Schurke certainly put Anakin in his place about the arm. I remembered that Schurke had lost a leg at Geonosis but wasn't sure if he would have been fit for a prosthetic yet at this point.

The japor snippet...awww... [face_love]

Anakin found his eyes drawn to her chest and the cleft of her breasts and the sight made him feel a little giddy.

LOL--injuries haven't kept him from being a typical male. :p Being Ani, though, his mind goes straight to Padme.

Hmmm...wonder what's wrong with Kam...

Great post my friend. [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.