main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends “And death shall have no dominion", story about Krennic's daughter (canon & legends mix), 27 Ch. FIN

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Mar 24, 2018.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Cassie's warmth and genuineness draws out the sincerity and caring in others. Just like Nagina. That is one thread that binds the two together. :)

AzureAngel2, Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Cassie is such a sweetheart, why can’t Thrawn and Skander get along for her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle: My husband and his twitter feed. A very dark story, indeed. :bb8:

Warning: The following youtube clip might contain some disturbing images in the end.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: I actually love writing those two. Be prepared for more.

@Nehru_Amidala: That is a foreshadowing from the events in the last rebel season. Some matches just don´t work.

Okay, here is my update for this week. I hope everybody enjoys it and that @Kahara, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 & my dear @earlybird-obi-wan are still on. Perhaps even some other readers.

"And death shall have no dominion", Chapter 7:

Lucky for me my godfather does not follow protocol to get the wanted information out of me. His tortured look is enough to make me talk. So I tell him about how we met Commodore Thrawn. How he warned us about going into the library building. How we ended up bumping into Lord Vader there and then Ob Kaddor.

Truthfully, I also describe my second meeting with the Imperial prince. I put a great effort into repeating every single word that he said to me.

Uncle Alex just listens, silently asking me to interrupt my story for cooling breaks here and there. Each time I take a sip, he also checks my temperature and types it into my data pad.

We are back in my bedroom and he has left the blind folds half closed. But my bedside lamp is on.

“Are you angry now?” I end.

He stares back at me. “Yes. Very. Stark raving mad.”

“Will I get punished now?”

“What do you expect me to do, sweetie? Pull your arms out of their sockets like some mad Wookie? Give you electric shocks?” His gaze turns somewhat solemn. “No, I would never harm you. With or without your father's oath, your life is precious to me.”

I am relieved to hear that, even though I expected nothing else from my godfather.

“But I feel like killing your father off when he returns to this apartment.” There is a foul snarl on his face, distorting it. “When I asked him to take you out for a walk then I did not want him to introduce some of the Empire's most dangerous men to you. What is next? Pestage? Tarkin? What was he thinking?”

Uncle Alex is in the kitchen, preparing lunch for us, when the door alarm sounds. “Do we expect anybody today?” he calls out to me.

“No.”

All of today's appointments had been cancelled by Daddy when he was dressing.

On his way to the front door, my godfather pops his head in. “Let's hope it's not Vader himself.”

But the identity of the surprise visitor is much, much better.

I almost swoon with delight when a flustered Uncle Alex lets Mitth'raw'nuruodo into my bedroom.

The Chiss carries a huge attaché case with him, but it seems to be light. For he shows no signs of distress carrying it.

“Rumour has it that you are ill, Cassandra,” my new friend says while he pauses at the threshold.

“This is not a rumour,” my godfather stresses. “She has temperature since the early morning hours.”

“Very well then.” The mauve coloured lips of the Chiss form a benevolent smile. “I brought along something that might lift her spirits. In the truest sense of the word.”

Saying thus, Mitth'raw'nuruodo puts the case on my bed. Then he activates the opening mechanism and steps back.

My eyes grow bigger and bigger as a number of mylar balloons rise into the air. They look like fish and start floating around the room as if suspended in water.

“It's literally a pop-up sculptural work,” the commodore explains. “I asked the gallery to lend me some of the exhibit pieces from the closed down Mon Cala chamber. You may keep them. They won't need them back.”

“Great,” mumbles Uncle Alex. “Now your room has turned into a fish bowl.”

“Which was my intention,” Mitth'raw'nuruodo gives back immediately. “Cassandra was sad about all the chambers that are not open for the public eyes any longer.”

“Thank you,” I cheer and gaze up at the strange ballet that the fish balloons perform all over my bedroom. “This is the coolest present that I ever got.”

Of course I am able to convince my godfather that our special guest has to have lunch with us. While I enjoy myself to the fullest, the two men regard each other as careful as two opponents in a sabacc tournament would. It is a staring contest really. I start asking myself if members of the military are always acting like this when they meet.

While both men are seated on opposite sides of my bed, I have a tray on my lap and enjoy the Chandrilan stew that Daddy had already prepared yesterday. With Mary being deactivated and locked into my closet it will stay a cosy affair. My godfather has baked a fresh soda bread and has cut some fruits for dessert later on.

“You are good with children,” observes Mitth'raw'nuruodo matter-of-factly.

“When you have read my personal file, you should know that I am the middle child in a family of five.”

“I do indeed know that.”

“Having an older sister and a much younger one certainly helped me to practice to be there for this young lady here.”

Their words still prowl around one another like a raiding party. It is unnerving really. I start to think that grown-ups are never honest with one another. That they always hold back. Play games.

A pity really. Uncle Alex and Mitth'raw'nuruodo have so much in common. Not only being loyal servants of our Empire. Why should the things that should bind them hold them apart? It gives me a headache.

“Are you not well, sweetie?” enquires my godfather with a frown.

“If that is the case, I will rather leave you for today,” suggests the commodore.

“No!” I yelp, at the brink of panic.

“I can come back any other day,” suggests Mitth'raw'nuruodo, sounding smooth and practical.

In my mind's eye, I can already see Daddy installing spring guns between our front door and my bedroom. Perhaps he will even plant an entire mine field.

“I would like you to stay very much,” I assert.

The commodore takes hold of my cramped hands. “I will be back. Now get some rest and heal.” He exchanges an intense gaze with Uncle Alex. “Your godfather will show me out.”

The calmness with which Daddy accepts the visit of Mitth'raw'nuruodo is more frightening than anything else. I'd rather have him swear or throw a tantrum. His face seems to be carved out of feldspar, a type of hard pale stone. I have a chunk of it in my petrology connection box.

“Daddy?” I pipe up, my voice high and uncertain.

He looks away from my godfather and levels his gaze at me in a manner that makes me feel stupid.

A sudden wave of sadness overwhelms me and I hug myself tighter.

I bet this is how he is among fellow Imperial officers, cold and aloof like some distant star in the night sky. For now he seems awfully disconnected with me. Will he hate me forever now? I cannot survive without his sweet love.

Pity is in Uncle Alex' eyes. “Cassie did nothing wrong,” he goes for my defence. “I let that blue beast in. This happened on my watch.”

“Mitth'raw'nuruodo is no beast,” I protest fiercely, my cheeks aflame. “He is an officer and gentleman. And I like his present.”

Daddy's mouth twists, as he thinks over various replies. Finally, he has one. With a somewhat purring voice he sings,

“Snowman melting from the inside
    Falcon spirals
    To the ground
    So bloody red tomorrows clouds

A little piece of you
    The little piece in me
    Will die”

Most of the time I like his spontaneous outbursts of song. Right now I don't. “Just because I do like Mitth'raw'nuruodo that does not mean that I love you any less.” Tears water up in my eyes. “Stop being stupid, Daddy!”

“Stupid?” he whispers.

“You will always come first,” I claim. “And you should know that.”

“Even before our beloved Emperor, little soldier?” he inquires.

I feel my face flush to this.

Daddy has a quirky smile for me in stock. “Very well then,” he says. “It can't be helped.”

I watch him spin around and open my cupboard.

“This flat is the new epicentre of society,” he remarks somewhat bitter. “I should hand out directions at the Imperial palace. Our front door should be marked with a huge cross.”

“Have you even listened to me, Daddy?” I protest, anger running through me. “I just said that I love you more than anything in the universe.”

Uncle Alex cuts in impatiently, “You are overreacting, Orson.”

“Am I?”

Daddy does not turn around, just keeps looking into the wardrobe as if the entrance into a magical kingdom would be waiting in there.

“That's because you are such a drama queen,” my godfather goes on. “Nothing of great significance happened in this flat. Some fish balloons got unleashed and your daughter was happy about it. So what?”

With his back turned to us, Daddy stares at my dresses and scarves. “Cassandra, you don't have dungarees, do you?”

“No?!?” I reply very uncertain.

“We will be off-world for a while. The Festival of Stars is upon us. Interstellar travel is encouraged of our government.” Daddy picks up a lone suitcase and places it on the edge of my bed. “It will do you good, seeing other places. Journeys can be educational.”

Uncle Alex steps between the suitcase and Daddy. “Don't you dare to run from Thrawn!”

“It's called change of air. For health reasons.”

“You are not taking her to Chandrilla.”

“This is not about the snowman,” barks Daddy.

“Vader,” murmurs my godfather. “This happens because of him. He scared you out of your wits.”

A deep growl comes from Daddy's throat. He fists his gloved hands. “He approached me right after today's meeting and asked me if I would be okay if he would pay his respects to my daughter from now on. Sounded like the announcement of a betrothal.”

My heartbeat is awfully loud in my ears, while Uncle Alex still gapes for air like some fish out of water. “Was anybody around to overhear your conversation with Vader?”

“No.” Daddy laughs joylessly. “We were inside an elevator when he asked me. Just the two of us. He had the bloody nerve to put us on emergency hold for the duration.”

“And what did you answer?”

Darkness crawls over Daddy's face, bathing it in shadows. “That he would not ask me this question if he had a child of his own.”

“What happened next?”

“The elevator started moving again and Vader stepped out at the next level without even looking back.”

Uncle Alex and I look at Daddy with big eyes.

“What, should I thank the Force now that I am still alive?” he spits. “I am so not into the Force and you frecking well know why, Alex.”

“You should be grateful that you are still alive, Force or not,” my godfather breathes, his blue eyes full of amazement. “Vader is known to leave the floor scattered with corpses when things get too personal.”

“Children seem to be a touchy subject for him. I wonder why he seems so desperate to be near my daughter. Does he seek redemption? Atonement for something he did in the Clone Wars?”

For some heartbeats nothing happens, then Daddy starts putting some of my dresses into the suitcase. “Dungarees, you still need some. We will go on a shopping tour in Hanna City, you and I.”

Hanna City is the capital of Chandrila. We are going to see my grandfather. Finally.

“Yeah!” I cheer.

“You are kidding, right?” Uncle Alex blinks. “This is a joke, Orson! Nothing but a bad joke.”

“Do I give you that impression?” Daddy raises a quizzical eyebrow. “We really need a marriage guidance counsellor.”

I giggle.

“Sweetie, would you mind if I knock your dad down?” my godfather asks, an ugly snarl on his face.

“Then stop acting like my Missus, Alex! Freck it!”

Of course they are not lovers. This is not how Daddy ticks. Nor does Uncle Alex. But due to me they have become a sort of patchwork family. I just wish they could learn to see the benefit of it.

My godfather murmurs something rather rebellious under his breath. Then he hisses at Daddy, “You are not taking her off Coruscant! End of story!”

“When I have the choice between my old man and the Emperor's black hound, then I won't go for Vader.”

Blue eyes glare into blue eyes, shooting sparks in all directions.

“I really would like to see the farm,” I voice warm and soft.

“See?” The triumph in Daddy's voice is unmistakable. “The lass knows what's good for her.”

“Why?” My godfather looks at me, his expression stern. This is how he might look at work when questioning people and their motives. Spies do that. “Explain!”

I bite my lip. “Since Daddy spoke about Gramps…?”

“Who?” he interrupts me.

“Grandpa,” I quickly explain. “I can't keep wondering how he is.”

“Half-dead,” Uncle Alex answers straight out.

“C'mon, my old man had a stroke, but he keeps going,” protests Daddy with a deep frown.

My godfather throws up his hands. “One half of his body is paralysed. He can't talk and he can hardly see.”

“Oh!” Tears fill my eyes. “Then we must see Gramps. With us on Chandrila he won't be alone any more.”

Now Daddy's features soften. “So much compassion. Even for a total stranger.” He sits down on the bed and takes both of my hands. “If I would let you, you would try to embrace the entire universe with those frail arms of yours. Thrawn, Vader, you see the person behind a rank.”

“Our Empire is built on the love and wisdom of our leader, is it not?” I am slightly confused. “Is it not my duty to show everybody how wonderful Palpatine is by trying to be good? By living up to his example?”

Daddy and Uncle Alex remain as silent as two stone statues.

“Have I said something wrong?” I want to know.

“See, Alex, this is why I need you to train my little soldier in combat.” Stubbornness radiates off Daddy. “It is about time she learns to protect herself.”

“The child hardly can leave her bed on her own. Training with me is out of the question.”

“Oh Cassandra will be able to do much, much more when we are back. All of her therapists and doctors are on their holidays for the Festival of Stars anyway.”

They act like I am not in hearing range. Like I am not in front of them. I hate that.

“Field training, really?” Uncle Alex rolls his eyes. “You have not even asked my schedule for the upcoming days, Orry. Not everybody gets holiday leave.”

“I need the best instructor that there is. For I do not trust myself to be patient enough.”

The white wood-frame house on the hill looks like a painting from a children's book. It has two stores and an attic underneath a pitched roof with green tiles. The shutters of the windows are also green and so are the trim and the eaves.

Next to the farm building is a little apple orchard with fairly young trees. Their logs seem to be as small as my arms.

“Damn, you Gita!” Daddy curses so spontaneously, that Uncle Alex and I are equally startled.

“What's wrong, Orson?”

The ST 149 stays on course and flies as smoothly as ever. Yet I notice a slight tremble in Daddy's left hand.

“That Anil cow made the trees grow back,” he snaps. “I bet she used the ashes for that. Is Force magic punishable by law? Can we get a death warrant for her? Please tell me that we can do!”

I frown, not understanding a word he says.

“Keep your hat on!” tuts my godfather. “Gita did exactly what you asked her to do.”

“Oh yeah?” Daddy murmurs and starts the landing procedure for the Delta-class T-3c shuttle. “Remembering Ina by using a spoon full of ash as plant food was not part of my instructions.”

“An urn on the mantle piece is not the best place for a free spirit.”

In alarm, Daddy jerks his head towards Uncle Alex. “Where do you store her ash?”

“I climbed up a disused communication tower located in the plains outside Capital City. And then I let Ina go. Just like that.”

“What, you spread her ashes all over Lothal?”

“It was her last known home. It seemed right.”

They still argue while the three of us leave the star ship. And they keep going all the way to the front porch.

I fall back to stop my hover chair next to one of the trees. It's small, but already very pretty. It won't carry fruits for a long time though.

“Hallo, there!” I beam and reach out to touch the bark of the baby tree.

A tingling sensation fills me, chasing all the way from my fingertips straight into my brain.

“Wow!” I get out, awed.

I am still dizzy when Daddy comes running back for me. “Really?” he complains and sets the hover chair back in motion.

“The tree just told me that there once was a fire here,” I say, impressions still swimming by. “It grew from a seed that survived.”

“Imagine that,” Daddy gives back, his voice clipped.

“Do you know anything about that fire?” I want to know.

“Must have happened when I wasn’t involved.”

Somehow he does not sound very convincing.

“Are you not happy that the orchard is back, Daddy?”

“I'll dance a jig later, okay? When I have unpacked the suitcases and upgraded the HoloNet in this dumb hole for work.”

I pout. “This is no dumb hole. It's your home.”

“It used to be home.” There is something cold and implacable in his voice. “Then I grew out of it. Like your apple tree from the cold, dark ground.”

I will not have him act this sullen during our entire stay. “Daddy?”

He pauses the hover chair. “I am behaving dreadfully again, aren't I?”

I nod.

His lips brush my hair. “This home-coming thing does not feel pretty for me. Fact is, the old man and I never got on well. I was the misfit, the disturbance in his otherwise well-organized farm life.”

“People change, Daddy. For the worse and for the better.

“Agrippa won't be happy to see me.”

“You don't know that,” I plead.

“I know that he will learn to love you in no time, Cassie dear. That is all I know.”

He places his hands on my shoulders, while I keep looking at the porch, where Uncle Alex made himself comfortable in a rocking chair.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  4. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Cute!!!!!!!

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super post =D= =D= Orson is a jumble of emotions especially about his upbringing, but one thing is beyond dispute, he loves Cassie and wants her to be safe and happy. @};-

Kahara, DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Like as always. I confess that I've been lurking lately.

7. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Oh, nice to see another shot/view at Krennic's father, their relation etc. Will admit you got me in the Nagina story; I guess she knew so well what his home looked like, that she had no need to describe it - from Krennic's descriptions and feelings, I always pictured it as rather dilapidated, but of course Cassie is a curious kid, so she describes a nice looking farm, not tainted by Orson's view of it. Like how Nagina's mom replanted the Orchard.

Riiight, not involved, quite. Not involved in not burning it to the ground more like. But, yeah, I get that's maybe not something to tell you little daughter, esp. not if you have a habit of presenting the world a bit more like the one you dreamt it to be and less as the reality it is, to her. Seems that also caused the Vader fear (with her not quite being the child the authorities think she is and all ...).

Glad to read in your Vader-one-shot about that meeting that there too, Orson did do a lot of protecting Cassie, but then didn't feel she (or Alex) needed to know all the boring details of that talk :p (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/““there-might-be-dragons”-vader-one-shot-for-“representing-the-under-represented.50049928/#post-55264970 for those curious).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Cassie is a very perceptive kid, but it's kind of sad that she already spends so much of her life having to analyze her father's warped view of things. I'm glad she's going to meet Orson's dad -- he might not have been father of the year, but I think you've always given him more credit than his son does. And even Orson seems to feel, deep down, that he and Cassie should meet. The imagery of the ruined orchard springing back into life is an unexpected joy (at least for everyone but Mr. Grumpypants ;) ) and I'm sure Nagina would have been delighted to know about it. @};-

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @Nehru_Amidala: Thanks for saying this. I try to keep up with it.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: There has been a severe Ben Mendelsohn overdose on my behalf. I rewatched "Bloodline, season 1". I swear that I was able to literally hear Orson when he said something that I had to write down with the computer. [face_blush]

Plus thanks for having made way for Chapter 8, Chapter 9, Chapter 10 and Chapter 11 with your quick beta-edits. Chapter 12 is on it´s way to you at least on Saturday.

@DarthUncle: You are my hero for your sharp perception of my story. Plus walking downstairs with the garbage. Hope you are not eaten away by the fruit flies, by wasps or by the dog of our new neighbour.

There was indeed no need for Nagina to describe the Krennic farm in the line of her story because she was visiting Agrippa in hospital, who was under treatment for prostate gland cancer.

And yes, Orson is always fearful that the old Sheevster finds out about Cassandra being the clone, that supposedly died on Scarif in the attack from Saw Gerrera.

And yes, that meeting between Vader and Orson needed a one-shot on its own.

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Nice you decided to leave a comment this time. I feel honoured.

@Kahara: Some parents are like that, but their kids adore them anyway. You will see more about Krennic the father in the upcoming chapters. It is fun writing that.

I might not be in this weekend. This is why I would like to update now.

"And death shall have no dominion", Chapter 8:

The smell of wood-polish and alcoholic liniment hangs in the air, when we enter the living-room. There is a large robot with a green-blue surface. I recognize it as an altered version of a 2-1B surgical droid.

“Don't be alarmed, Jay!” offers my godfather. “I am Agent Alexsandr Kallus. We have met at Ina's funeral service five years ago.”

Metal eyes scan Uncle Alex. “Positive,” the robot confirms after some seconds. “You are welcome, Master Alexsandr. And so are your two companions.”

There is a sound from somebody we cannot see.

“Master Agrippa, you seem to have keen visitors today.”

There is some grunting.

“Master Agrippa would like to know the reason for your in-person visit, sir,” the robot unit translates.

“I am here to present his granddaughter to him,” suggests my godfather.

Something like a laugh comes from the wing chair that is facing the opposite direction.

“Master Agrippa says...”

Now Daddy has decided to reveal himself. “That he is an old oaf and still knows nothing about little children and their feelings, no change there then,” he says in a rush. “C'mon, Alex. This was a mistake. Let us go back to Coruscant. Cassie, there is nothing of great consequence here. Just some bitter old man using a piece of junk as his mouthpiece.”

A muffled sound makes the geriatric care droid lower its metal head. “There is a little girl in a hover chair, Master Agrippa. She looks nothing like your son. Her hair is ginger and her eyes… let me scan... they are deep brown.”

Something like a yelp is to be heard now.

“Of course I can turn the chair around, Master Agrippa. But the child is not a very spectacular sight.”

A deep groan follows.

“I am sorry, Master Agrippa. This comment was out of place.”

I start laughing. “My MV nanny droid has a weird programming like that, too. Daddy never took time to fix it. But it gives her a strong minded character.”

A pair of blue vulture eyes, reminding me very much of Daddy's, gazes at me. The face of the old man has many wrinkles and is slightly yellowish. I am not scared though.

“Hi there, Gramps. I am Cassandra.” I flash my brightest smile. “Daddy adopted me six months ago. My mom was a spice addict. This is what Child Protective Services and everybody else told me.”

I look straight into a face that is marked by illness and hardship.

“Mom and Daddy once were lovers. So when she came knocking at his door, asking for money, he informed the Services about me. Very reasonable of him, was it not?”

The old eyes water and a sound like a sniff is to be heard.

“Master Agrippa says that Orson might be his son after all.”

“Pah,” Daddy spits out. “The girl was in need of a reasonable grown-up. So I filed for adoption. Sometimes a child can be trapped in a bad place and needs a guardian angel to bring change along.”

There is a cough, coming from a pair of thin lips.

“Master Agrippa would like to remark that you should stop talking and get some refreshments out of the kitchen instead, Master Orson.”

Underneath his rough exterior my grandfather Agrippa is a kind and warm man. That his own son cannot see this makes me sad.

I hope that I will never lose Daddy's love. To end up on his bad side must be unbearable. He can be a really nasty enemy.

We have Caramel Slice, consisting of a shortbread base. The next-door neighbour, Gita Anil, has brought it around during her last visit. Jay informs us that the cheerful flowers in the vase are also a gift from her.

Daddy and Uncle Alex exchange one of their military looks. It tells me that Mistress Anil will not be welcome around here as long as they are here with me. This is unfair. Her cake is nice and she brought the apple trees back.

I swallow my questions. Now is not the right moment to ask them. Things are already awkward between Daddy and his 'old man', as he refers to him.

Not much later it is time for my afternoon nap.

Daddy carries me upstairs and I dare not to protest. Thunder clouds hang around his deep furrowed brows. “You have been ill when we left Coruscant,” he points out. “I am not taking any chances here. You will rest until dinner.”

We reach the second story of the house.

He opens a nearby door. It is a room full of empty fruit crates and boxes.

“Of course he had to turn my room into a lumber room,” Daddy remarks sourly and closes the door again. “Let´s try the official guest-room then.”

We are rewarded with a bright chamber that has a floral wallpaper and a pretty quilt on the bed.

“Would you mind sharing?” Daddy asks hopefully, his ear tips slightly reddish.

“What about Uncle Alex?”

“He has to check in with the local garrison for tonight.” There is a grin on his lips. “Until we have brought my old room back in order, he can sleep on a sofa in the living-room I suppose.”

I have Daddy taking off my shoes.

“Can you tell me a story?” I beg.

“In the afternoon?”

I bite my underlip. “Tell me of the boy that you once were.”

“Can I tell you about the Silver Sea instead. Or the Gladean State Parks.”

He is still avoiding his past. I wonder how long he can keep it up.

(To be continued!)

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful undertones... lots of resentment simmering, even against the wonderful Gita Anil. :) [face_sigh] over the cake ;)

I adore how Cassandra can see under the harsh exterior Agrippa puts out, though of course Orson has reasons not to see it. [face_thinking]

DarthUncle, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  11. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Great to revisit the Krennic farm a bit more; lots of snark, and an open question whether Orson and his father maintain a standoff for Cassie alone, or whether maybe the fact that she is there makes both reassess their opinions. LOL@ orson and his feelings against the cake too - that's a nice pit of passive aggressiveness :) And the droid promises to be a nice extra, he's clearly got a bit of that Krennic' sense of humor too ...

12. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I can see a lot of what bothers Orson about his father -- in that Agrippa is very much like him in some ways. [face_laugh]
    The elder Krennic seems like he's a little more able to accept the caring of others, such as the Anil family, and I suspect that too rubs salt in Orson's wounds. Anyway, it's interesting to see how Cassie's presence introduces a new element to the broken family dynamic between them. Seconding @DarthUncle on the medical droid, this one is a classic with the utter lack of bedside manner. :p

13. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Sometimes the relationship between a child and a parent are beyond repair. But due to Cassie they both act nice.

@DarthUncle: You are a master of recognizing all the small details that I lovingly add into a story. Thank you!

@Kahara: I am so proud to have you back as a commentator and saying/ writing all those witty things that do me good. Thanks!

And here we go again:

(Still Chapter 8!)

I wake up in the middle of the night, strange dreams plaguing me. The pictures that I saw make no sense to me. For now I dismiss them as an overdose of sugar.

“Hey, there!” Daddy greets me from the window. “You were supposed to sleep, little soldier.”

I gasp for I can see the outlines of his laser blaster. It is directed towards the horizon where the Anil property must lie. The target pipe is switched on night vision. “And why are you wide awake, Daddy?”

“Indigestion. Must be that stupid cake,” he lies.

“Are you expecting somebody?” I probe on.

He lowers his weapon, laughing a bit dryly. “A visitor should be given a warm welcome. Not a graze shot.”

“The prince would not come here,” I try to calm Daddy.

“Prince?” He chuckles. “Cassie, dear. Vader is Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces.”

“And you think that you can shoot him down in the dark? Just like that. One of the most important men within the Empire?”

“For you I would try.”

“There is no trying. Only the Force,” I remind Daddy.

He walks up to the night-stand, placing the DT-29 heavy blaster pistol on it. “Just a couple of hours under this roof and you give me a speech like a true sect member. You have not read any flyers of the Church of the Force by chance? The house used to be full of them. Worse than blowflies really.”

I shake my head.

“Just asking.” He seems more relaxed now.

“Could you please engage the safety of your weapon?” I beg him.

“I am glad you noticed, little soldier.” He pats my head and I can feel his pride ebbing into me.

Within a few seconds the area is secured again.

I sigh full of relief.

Daddy starts getting undressed. Of course he had to show off in his gala uniform. By now my eyes have adjusted enough to see him folding his army trousers neatly. He keeps his long John on and a ripped shirt.

“Have you eaten a broom lately?” I ask into the silence.

“What makes you believe that?”

“You need to be very brave now, Daddy.” I lower my voice on purpose. That makes him come even closer. “Nobody will bother us here on Chandrila. No matter how trigger-happy you are.”

He grunts. “Prepare to get boarded, little soldier. There will be no mercy!”

I get tickled until I basically cough the safe-word. “P-power con-convertor.”

Daddy stops immediately. “Are you finished being smart for tonight?”

“Yes,” I get out, thinking that we need a better and much shorter safe-word.

“Say again?”

I roll my eyes at him, but he cannot see it in this light. “Yes, sir!” I stress.

“Roger that.”
    He lands a good-night kiss on my brow. “Sleep tight.”

With a deep sigh, he drapes himself around me.

“Are you going to act silly during our entire stay?” I whisper.

He leans his face into my neck. “Curious is too small a word to describe you.”

“What is wrong about Mistress Anil?” I move on. “She seems to be awfully nice.”

There is some grumbling against my skin. “No impact. No idea.”

“Daddy, please!” I say. “Stay reasonable.”

“I have some history with her sons.” His fingers start playing with one of my pigtails. “Are you happy now?”

Still no details. Then it really must have been bad business between them. Each time he is not boasting about a subject, there is a much darker background.

“But you are a grown-up man now,” I reason.

“Some things should never be forgotten or forgiven, Cassandra.”

I wait some heartbeats before I throw in. “Can't you find it in...”

“No.”

“But...”

“Over and out.”

I sigh.

When the radio silence starts getting real uncomfortable, he rubs his nose against my right cheek. “We need to make a deal here, Cassie dear.”

“Okay, I listen.”

“Things have been very rough at work for me the past weeks. I start feeling like… like a true Machiavellian character.”

Whatever that is, it sounds nasty.

“I don't have job security, for I am far from the top of the Imperial chain of command.”

Quickly, I turn around to face him. “But you are such a wonderful architect, Daddy.”

“Am I really? I do not even know how to build up a stable relationship. All that I ever learned is how to shoot somebody who outdraws me.”

I snuggle against him full force. “Hey, I am here with you and I love you, Daddy. You are the best.”

“Tsk, I am an old grinch. You deserve better!”

“No,” I protest gently. “Silly Daddy. I would not want you any different.”

He starts stroking my back. “Are you sure? My skin is not blue.”

“Stop talking, Daddy!” I say in a low voice. “Let us both get some sleep.”

He takes a deep breath and obviously comes to reason. There is no arguing, not even singing. Not much later he starts snoring.

I keep lying wide awake in his arms for a while, listening to the sound of the grass sea outside. It seems as familiar as his warmth. It puzzles me.

Since I came here it feels like I know this place. But he did not tell me anything about it before.

I concentrate on his steady heartbeat. It is like a drum.

Actually, it was the first sound that I heard when I woke up almost nine months ago. My entire memories of our meeting are jumbled. But they are filled with love and trust.

Thoughtfully, I let my fingers wander over Daddy's throat. I feel his vibrant pulse.

For some reason my lungs had not been fully operational when he had found me in my mother's flat. It had taken two months of therapy to get them into shape. It had been necessary for me to wear a breathing mask during that period.

All that I know, all that I am revolves around Daddy.

Perhaps it is better when I do not remember my mother. Or the run-down place in which we lived. Sometimes it is a blessing not to know, just to live. Uncle Alex calls this “Carpe diem!” which means “Seize the day!” in some ancient language he happens to know.

For brekkie I get smashed avocado on toast with poached eggs. Gramps and I have to eat without Daddy. He is upstairs, bellowing loud enough at Galen Erso that we can pick up most of their conversation. His part anyway.

“There is this funny card game. It's called 'Saboteur'. There are some dwarfs who seek gold in a mine. The saboteur is the one who tries to make everybody's life miserable. But you know who actually is the greatest pain in the extension version? The crystallographer. Because he has his own goals.”

There is ugly laughter. At times Daddy can cackle like a Hutt.

“I don't know how you keep betraying me, Galen, but I have the feeling that you do. And it makes me look bad in the Emperor's graces.”

Something in the guest bedroom gets broken.

“Get your work done or I swear, that I will find other ways of motivation. Milio, Onopin, Uravan, Argonne and Vann – basically your entire team – should start to pay the price for your failure.”

Gramps looks at me sad and forlorn.

“Stop that whining, Galen! It does not suit you. You sound like Lyra, when she dared to threaten me. We know how that ended, don't we?”

I try to finish my plate nicely, my head lowered.

Of course Daddy will be charming with me, but he will act like a villain with grandfather Agrippa and Uncle Alex for the rest of the day.

“I will give you another week. My patience with your work attitude is used up, Galen. If you will not deliver satisfactory results by then, there will be a hole in this universe. It will have your shape.”

Not much later the door gets smashed so loud that I fear its hinges are damaged for good now.

Daddy tramples downstairs like a herd of banthas.

I prepare for the worst.

Uncle Alex has given me his comlink data.

“Might you have some fruit juice for me, Cassie dear?” Daddy asks kindly when he enters the room, his features even and relaxed. Nothing from his earlier tantrum can be seen. To my surprise, he wears dungarees and a woollen sweater that I have never seen before.

“What happened to the uniform?” I press out.

“Not today and for the rest of the week. I am not in the asylum at present. They have to give me all my open vacation days at some point, you know. The Festivals of Stars is perfect for that.”

Fully ignoring his father, Daddy gets seated on the empty chair next to me.

“How kind of Jay to carry you downstairs! I needed some moments to wrap up things with some unable scientists.”

I smirk. “So we heard.”

“They are like droids, really. Deadlines and instructions should be overly clear at any given time. Otherwise they are lazy.” He helps himself to a big portion of poached eggs and adds a gracious amount of avocado. “I hope that I made myself overly clear today.”

“Do we still have a door?” I throw in for consideration.

He blushes. “Sorry about that. But sometimes Galen gets the worst out of me.”

“Is there a door still?” I repeat.

“Of course.” Daddy hides his mouth in a glass of fruit juice.

“Remember, this is still Gramps' home and we are but guests!”

He gives his old man an especially vile glance. “Oh, that message is clear to me.”

The geriatric nurse robot, who has towered in a corner of the living-room, comes to life. “Master Agrippa would like to know what your plans are for today.”

“My daughter and I will be shopping in Hanna City.” Daddy's blue eyes sparkle. “And if your master is nice to me, I will buy some groceries for him as well. All he has to say is 'pretty please'. He can do that with his eyes if the mouth won't move.”

The sky above is blue with fleecy clouds. This is my first time in a rural landspeeder. I only have been on military transporters until now. It is very exciting. I wonder what holds this soapbox together. Daddy steers it with skill though. I bet he can fly anything he wants to. Even a Thranta.

“An Imperial credit for your thoughts, little soldier,” Daddy smiles. His eyes are hidden by sunglasses just as mine.

“I just wondered if you could master one of those Alderaanian flying creatures.”

His laughter is light and carefree. “You just won yourself an ice cream.”

We float by countless meadows with nerfs on them. Tintolive trees line the country road that we are on. In between I also spot Garren trees. Bulabirds are in the air.

I put all my questions on hold for the time being. It is very peaceful.

Daddy is brimming with mirth. The airflow tosses his hair, but it does not cross him. His military conscience has stayed behind at the farm house. He is a completely private person right now.

“Do you want to take control?” he asks out of the blue.

“Me?”

“Who else?” he grins. “Unless we picked up a blind passenger.”

“B-but I-I don't k-know h-how,” I stammer.

With great gentleness Daddy takes my hands and puts them on the handles. His fingers stay above mine and his feet remain at the breaks plus the accelerator.

Our breaths synchronize and I feel calmness flooding me.

“Please don't let go!” I whisper.

“Stand by!” he suggests and kisses my right cheek.

Daddy is a very patient flight instructor, even though I hit one or two fence posts on our way to Hanna City.

“Your grandfather will be very understanding with you, Cassie dear.” He hardly cares for the damage. “Out here a girl should know how to fly an X-34.”

I have an idea what comes next, but I try too keep the vehicle on track.

“We will start blaster training in two days from now,” Daddy says and leans back in the seat, his hands on his neck and the elbows relaxed.

“But,” I pipe up.

“You don't want an Alpha Charlie, rainbow?”

He can keep his verbal reprimand for all I know. There is no way of protest. My fate is sealed. Obviously, I am a new recruit going through basic training.

DarthUncle likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful snark and a great outing with the ice cream treat.

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  15. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    There is indeed a lot of well placed and paced snark, mixed with almost heart rending sweet moments, like the real ice recipe discussion.

Cassie knows her father very, very well, as you'd expect from someone with Nagina's memory somewhere, and her make-up; sometimes well enough that it makes me sad for the kid, because Orson has a lot of bad in him too. But, I am glad that Cassie at least has a very devoted father, who again and again explicitly chooses to put her well-being before almost anything, rather than a doting uncle that can't manage to put aside his nefarious plans and habits for the good of his niece, love her as he does (but, not more than Sith' power).

edit: small typo.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: As the heat wave continues in my country and my kindergarten team still tries to grasp the sudden death of our colleague during the summer holidays, writing helped me a bit to survive all of this. @DarthUncle is asleep since he is back from his kidney doctor for the heat takes an immense toll on him.

I am immensely happy that the two of you support me writing about Cassie. This story here has many lurkers, but very few people dropping comments. From @earlybird-obi-wan & @Kahara I know that they have difficult times to face. Others are simply consumed by Darth RL and have their own projects to worry about, such as @Nehru_Amidala & @Cowgirl Jedi 1701.

Well, I will be off-line most of the weekend, busy to do some nice things with my husband. This is why I have to update now.

I do not feel how I will feel after the memorial service for my colleague, which will take place on Friday. One of us organized it with a female Lutheran priest and the entire team is asked to join in. Parents are also invited.

It might well be that it will trigger my memories about my father´s funeral service in November and then it is better to stay away from the boards for a little while, until I am back in shape.

But expect me in any case to tell you more about Orson Krennic as a single dad and Cassandra growing up as a happy citizen of the Empire. There might be ficlets, one-shots or vignettes soon about the Veers family, because it turned out to be fun writing them, too.

With this update I want to honour @Findswoman and some other ladies who wrote about the matter of blue milk recently (=@Briannakin & @Raissa Baiard)

Anyway, here we go for now:

"And death shall have no dominion", Chapter 9:

“I wonder what Blue Milk ice cream tastes like,” I voice while I gaze into the display of the ice parlour.

Daddy huffs. “No way I am going to feed my child Bantha poodoo.”

The ice cream vendor, a blue-skinned Pantoran in his late sixties, grants him a dark look for that remark.

“What?” Daddy shrugs. “Everybody knows that Bantha milk has abnormally high levels of Lactokokkus gulbaricus. The IBFC should investigate that.”

I wonder why he has to drag the Imperial Bureau of Foodstuffs and Consumables into this.

The Pantoran gets nervous. “We have 32 other types of ice cream, sir.”

“I would like to try Blue Milk, still,” I say stubbornly.

“It's not like the Blue Milk from our fridge.”

“Of course it is, Daddy. Blue Milk is the same everywhere in the galaxy, right?"

“Oh Cassie,” Daddy tuts. “This one here will give you a blue tongue and, in the worst case scenario, diarrhoea.”

I keep looking cute.

“Don't test it!”

Not only do I get one scoop of Blue Milk, but two.

“Would you like to have sauce on that?” the ice cream vendor inquires with a winning smile. “We have Chocolate, Caramel, Joghan Berry...”

“I would like to enjoy it just as it is.”

The Pantoran looks very pleased.

Some minutes later I start digging into my bowl. Then I make a face. I have a terrible idea. “Could it be that you colour the milk back home with blue food gel dye, Daddy?”

“Possibly.” He tries to look elsewhere.

I keep my gaze straight on his poker face.

“What?” He fiddles around with his sun glasses.

“I never had the real thing before, Daddy,” I complain.

“The original does not come with sugar and vanilla flavour.” He makes an extensive hand movement. “Tatooine is a dust ball very far away from the rest of the galaxy. They lack of everything there. Especially good taste. This is why I use nerf milk.”

I raise an eyebrow.

He throws up his hands. “Just tell me that you do not like my version of Blue Milk any longer and I will quit producing it immediately.”

His offer makes me smile. “I do like your version very much. Even though you cheat.”

“Very well then.” He nudges my nose. “I just hope you do not want to have the real deal every time now. I will certainly not throw Wookie pups into the blender when I am doing those chocolate cookies.”

“Bah, Daddy!” I shriek.

His amusement grows. “Imagine what a Jawa Jive Milkshake would look like otherwise! Or Jabba Jelly.”

I try to make a sour face, but I fail. “Your hot TIE fighter dogs are the best.”

“Oh the costs for a TIE. Don't start me on that one!” he giggles. “My project though is more expensive.”

I look at him expectantly.

“It's an estimate of 852,000,000,000,000,000 Imperial credits. And that's just the cost of steel production.”

Now I understand his constant nervousness about it. “Are you very mad with Galen Erso?”

He carefully scans the ice cream parlour, but it is just us inside. Everybody else sits outside. The ice cream vendor is nowhere to be seen.

“I want to understand, Daddy,” I reason with a sad, yet encouraging smile. “How is construction work going at present?”

It breaks out of him in one go. “Everyone's in distress. I mean a bad set is when things are going wrong. Erm, 'cause it's a supply chain. It's an army, right? It's a little supply chain. So if the supplies aren't gettin' to the frontline troops. If they are not getting the things they need, they can't do the job as well as they should be. If they're told we gonna be moving this way and… but instead we're going over that way then it's problems. So it's about communication. And it's about supplies. And if those things go wrong. And if they systematically stay going wrong, then you tend to have pretty grumpy, stressed out people.”

I find the physical strength to stand, walk up to him and wind my arms up around him. “Poor Daddy!”

With a thick voice he murmurs, “Can I have that in written form?”

I nod eagerly. “With a heart and everything.”

“I will hang it up in my office, if I may.” He holds me tight, his nose in my hair.

Not much later we hit the shops. Since we do not have the hover chair with us, Daddy carries me around. His energy level seems endless today.

We are not going into the posh boutiques, but into stores for farmers and outdoor equipment. Daddy is on the practical side of life, even though Uncle Alex regards him as vain.

“You have enough dresses, Cassie dear. What you really need are reasonable dungarees. And I will buy you lace-ups. Perhaps a pair of wellies, too.”

After we have been into two shops already, Daddy pauses in front of the third one. It says 'Kimberley's' in huge Aurebesh letters.

“My parents always brought me here when I needed new clothing,” he admits.

I am very proud to be part of the Krennic family tradition now.

“Well, let's go inside then, Cassie dear!”

A little bell jingles happily when we cross the threshold.

Wide-eyed I look around.

Time clearly has stopped here at 'Kimberley's'. This department store seems not to have changed since the founding days of the Old Republic.

I am charmed immediately.

There are no computer animated screens but old-fashioned mannequins. No unnerving background music is playing. Instead of a service droid an elderly lady stands at the counter, smiling encouragingly at us. She has violet coloured hair. “Are you being served?” she asks.

“Later on, perhaps,” Daddy replies, putting a lot of charme into his words. “For now we are only looking around.”

“Very well, sir.” Her smile is as sweet and natural as yesterday's cake.

“Dungarees,” Daddy mutters to himself, taking off his sunglasses. “Where do we start looking?”

I follow his good example and take off my glasses as well.

The lighting is pleasant for my eyes.

His gaze lightens up. “Ah, there we go. 3 o'clock.”

“Out of the way, low lives!” somebody shouts and pushes us aside brutally.

Daddy manages not to fall onto the floor with me. Once he gets hold of a display table, he presses a button on his comlink. I know exactly who he will drag into this. It is certainly not Uncle Alex. He gazes hard at the sniggering man.

It makes me sad to see that the stranger is an Imperial officer cadet. Two blue rank bars. Due due to the grey-green uniform colour I know he is in the navy.

“Name and service number,” Daddy says to the stranger, his voice only slightly above a whisper.

“Hey, Fi, this farmer here wants to put up a fight with us,” the officer cadet calls out to his companion, who must be busy somewhere at the back of the shop.

“Leave the locals alone!” comes the immediate answer from one of the changing rooms.

“How when that scum is basically all over the place.”

“Scum!?!”

The sound is explosive in the air.

“Daddy,” I whine. “Please don't let this escalate!”

“Me?” he spits out.

“Please, don't hurt him, Daddy!”

The stranger glares at me. “What did you just say, you useless cripple?”

“How can you tell that my daughter has a condition?” Daddy inquires. His voice sounds as if it got strained through a dirty sock.

“Because she looks daft.”

“Really?”

A sane person would stop talking to Daddy when he is like that, but the young man goes on. “Children like that are a burden to our health care.”

Five Death Troopers swarm in like a cloud of angry Coruscant city bees.

“Wha-wha-what?” the officer cadet squeaks, his eyes wide in terror.

I hide my face when the young man is taken into immediate custody. His face ends up being pressed against the floor by a black metal boot.

Daddy's body guards must have come to the planet in their own transport. They are obligatory for members of his office. I had already wondered about their mandatory. Night shadows, that's what they are. Even in plain daylight.

“It took you a while, DT-L21,” Daddy remarks reproachfully.

The elite soldier's voice is distorted through the mask and the in-built comlink. “It is hard to believe that one of our own should act out against you and the child, sir.”

“Entitled flyboys,” Daddy says joylessly. “This is what the navy is all about.”

“Sir, sir!” somebody calls.

I allow myself to watch the scene again.

The doomed officer's companion hops towards us on one leg. Obviously, he was just testing out hiking boots. His face is pale and his hazel eyes are flickering nervously. Since his cap is missing, I can see his brown hair.

“Look at that, DT-L21!” Daddy switches on one of his seductive killer smiles. “FUBAR.”

The man almost hits the ground.

“Make that TARFU,” Daddy corrects himself.

“Roger that, sir!”

Red-faced, the officer cadet comes to a hold right in front of us. “Sir, my bunkmate spoke out of place.”

“For which I would like to break his jaw now,” Daddy replies. His voice could freeze fire right now. “But my daughter already got subjected to some verbal violence here.”

“Daddy!” I beg.

He places a finger on my lips. “Lock it up!” he says matter-of-factly.

In a military setting, it usually means to stand at attention.

I do as I am bidden.

“Thanks for your cooperation.” He blows a kiss against my cheek and then his full concentration wanders back to DT-L21 and the figure under the Imperial's boot. “You may act on my behalf once you are outside the building. Oh please, don't be gentle!”

He pauses and I start holding my breath.

“And since this rainbow here makes mockery of handicapped people, make sure he gets a decent handicap himself. One that ends his military career forever more, but won't hinder him to do farming on some Outer Rim planet. I am sure we have a colony that needs hard labour somewhere.”

I let out a yelp.

“But, sir, with all due respect, sir!” protests the cadet officer with just one boot on.

“Firmus,” yelps his companion from the floor. “Don't! This guy is ISB in civvies. Just walk off, mate! I deserve that. You can do with me whatever you want. Court martial. Firing squad. Just leave my bunkmate out of it.”

Despite the odds, Daddy gets a grip on himself and starts to listen. The officer that is not shivering on the floor, gives us his service number and introduces himself as officer cadet Piett. “I can understand that you are angry with my companion, sir,” he says, his eyes scanning Daddy anxiously.

“Angry comes not even close to what I feel.”

The young man gives me an apologetic look. “Your daughter is rightfully upset, too.”

“This is exactly why I contacted my personal bodyguards. Instead of a peaceful father-and-daughter day in town, we got harassed. By two freckin' rainbows.”

Officer cadet Piett swallows hard. “But Death Troopers, surely, sir, there must be another way to deal with the situation.”

DT-L21 and his team of four still stand down, but at one wink of Daddy they will come into action.

I am about to pee into my pants. Confrontations like that are dreadful for me.

“Who is your commanding officer?” Daddy asks, coming to more rational terms about his wish for revenge again.

“We are part of a special task force in the Ciutric Hegemony,” Firmus Piett offers. “Moff Luc granted me and my bunkmate, officer cadet Cassido, special shore leave for extraordinary services.”

Daddy's eyes turn into slits. “Then have a good look at my daughter again, gentlemen. She ain't no bloody pirate from your pitiful hegemony. Via her useless mother she is an innocent victim of spice addiction. To call her a cripple is certainly not how you should cultivate your contacts in the Core Worlds.”

Even though I know he is giving the two cadet officers a lesson by saying this, I am embarrassed. Not for myself, but for my mother. I bet she was not useless all the time. Before her addiction she must have led a normal life.

“Good day, gentlemen!"

With that Daddy marches towards the exit and I dare not to ask him about the dungarees.

“We are back tomorrow,” he whispers suddenly and kisses my brow. “But I need some fresh air right now.”

Since the Death Troopers are not following us, I suppose that they are taking down more personal data of the two officer cadets.

“Where are we going next?” I accompany my words with a little poke into Daddy's ribs.

His anger clears. “You do not buy the crap that you are useless, do you?” he asks, anxiety in his voice.

“I am the centre of your universe, Daddy. How could I be useless?”

His embrace strengthens. “You will learn to run and to dance. Soon you will know how to wield a blaster. And I will show you how to fly.”

“The ST 149?” I wonder.

“Any ship.”

I consider his offer and then I add, “Might you have some time for swimming lessons first?”

(To be continued!)

Kahara likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super post! =D= Full of efficient handling of those snot-nosed cadets, or at least the one Firmus was hanging around with. Firmus seems to be a decent sort. @};-

DarthUncle, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Hey, Piett makes an appearance

19. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Uh-oh, recently devoted father meets bottom-feeder bully embedded in the system he too serves, and seemingly does the right thing, bottom-feeder gets some of his own. Not really right, but it certainly felt good. I see Piett started having good company a long time ago (though in this empire, how much choice does a decent guy actually have, I guess).
    Oh, I approve of Krennic's fascination with getting his girl practical items of clothing. What are dungarees though, the inquiring, but too lazy to google, mind asks. RL answer from @AzureAngel2 - ah, so something like bib overals - or 'tuinbroek' in Dutch - indeed quite appropriate for outside/farm life.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: This is why Vader helps to promote him from that moment on. :D

@earlybird-obi-wan: He won´t be the only one.

@DarthUncle: I am glad you understand the Imperial picking order and like my old dungarees from the 90ies. Which still fit me by the way. O:)

Okay, here is the next update before this flat gets flooded by Dutch refugees from the UK. ;):p Only joking!

My husband´s sister wants to tour Europe with a car and her three kids (16, 14 and 6) before their summer holidays end. But this means I will not be on-line from tomorrow on, playing cleaning lady first and then hostess from Friday on.

Anyway, I hope @Kahara, @Nehru_Amidala & @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 have buckled up again, too.

(Still Chapter 9)

Lake Sah'ot glitters in the midday sun. I am wearing my new pink swimsuit, diving goggles, a snorkel and the floaties. Right in front of me is my smiley father. He has not only taken off his sun glasses. His floral bathers from the men's department suit him well. The water around us is about 1 metre 20 deep. We are still in the marked out learner area.

“See, you are a natural, Cassie dear,” he praises me, his arms stretched out wide. “You must be a mermaid after all.”

I zoom towards him. There is no weakness in my legs any more. My arms also know what to do in the water.

Something brushes my belly. It is large.

I shriek but stay on course.

Uncle Alex makes it into Daddy's arms before me. “Missed me, darling?” he jokes.

“Dope!”

They try to push each other under water for a while and I circle them with a smirk.

Suddenly, a stranger joins us. He is a giant of a man with brown hair and hazel eyes. And he moves through the water with the brute force of a AT-AT.

“Oh, Cassie, there is no reason to fear,” my godfather calms me. “This is Max, an old pal of mine. He is just back from one of his usual 'suicide missions' and has been granted special vacation for his extraordinary services.”

I look into a face that is not exactly unfriendly, but makes me shiver anyway. “Maximilian Veers,” he says with a perfect military bow. “It is an honour to meet you, Miss Krennic.”

Not sure whether to shake hands or not, I swim behind Daddy and cling on to his back.

“Hey, this is one of the good guys. Assault Armour Division. Can't get any better than that, Cassie!”

I do not agree with Daddy and stay on edge.

Not much later, the four of us sit under a huge white parasol. Daddy has lent two more sun chairs for our guests. Even on a crowded day like this the beach club has plenty of chairs in stock.

Maximilian Veers has doughnuts with him. Since Daddy gave up smoking he craves sugar for some reason. His strict fitness training stops him getting the belly of a Toydarian though.

“Where you got those, Max?” Uncle Alex wonders, helping himself to fish one out of the box.

“Biscuit Baron.”

“House Tagge owns that chain, right?” Daddy makes a face like a little sullen boy. “They ain't doing the dough right.”

“Yeah, I know,” agrees Maximilian Veers. “I miss Dex's Doughnuts, too. But what can you do.”

“Too bad they shut that Besalisk down a couple of years ago. His shredded Ishi Tib-cracked coconut were the best,” Daddy sighs. “They were the only reason to pop by for a visit in Co-Co Town after a rough day at the office.”

This comes as a surprise to me. Usually Daddy does not enter that part of Coruscant at all.

“I loved the dark matter sprinkles most,” adds Uncle Alex, a longing note in his voice.

“Perhaps the powdered Christopian sugar doughnuts were his downfall,” the special forces officer speculates.

“Nay,” my godfather states. “Neither the Clone Wars or the IBFC had anything to do with it. He helped those… Midi-chlorian ridden lice to flee the crime scene.”

All three men nod in unison.

I start to wonder what Midi-chlorians are. Perhaps I should look up that particular type of parasite later on. Daddy lets me have his data pad occasionally.

“His involvement did not only cost old Dex his doughnut shop, but the diner as well.” Uncle Alex looks grim.

“He had it coming.”

Maximilian Veers blinks, remembering me. “Would you like a doughnut, too, Miss Krennic?”

“I am afraid that my daughter already had enough sugar today,” Daddy declines his doughnut offer. Instead he places a piece of water melon into my outstretched hands that are still wrinkled from my time in the water.

“You sound like my wife,” the Imperial officer smiles.

“I am the only parent that Cassie has left,” Daddy points out.

“My Zev, I mean Zevulon, is quiet a handful. He just got eight. I could not imagine raising him on my own. It must be hard being a single father.”

“He is doing fine,” I throw in and start munching on my water melon.

For a while they talk about parenting. Then, supported by Uncle Alex, they move on to military vehicles.

“You can swallow the seeds,” Daddy advises me in between.

“But I would like to keep them,” I state. “We could grow some melons on our patio back home.”

“My son also loves biological experiments. There is this carnivorous plant he has from Felucia.”

I make a mental note not to like Zevulon or whatever his name is.

“My wife and Zev will arrive tomorrow afternoon,” Maximilian Veers adds for consideration.

I can tell from his crinkled brows that Daddy seriously considers meeting those people. “But we want to buy my dungarees and my wellies,” I say hastily. “So we will be too busy for anything else. Right, Daddy?”

Uncle Alex chuckles. “Are you not keen on playing with a boy?”

My face gives it away all too easy, but I can't help it.

“Consider yourself on a mission now, rainbow!” Daddy remarks, trying to hide his smile. “There are brave officers of both genders around in our army. There is no reason in this galaxy why you should not befriend a boy.”

Explanation of military terms:
    FUBU = ****/fouled Up Beyond all Understanding
    TARFU = Totally And Royally **** Up or Things Are Really **** Up
    Roger that, sir! = I agree, sir!
    flyboy = He who commands an aircraft. Any male capable of airmanship and/or aviation.
    in civvies= 1. civilian clothes as distinguished from a particular uniform (as of the military), 2. civilian.
    rainbow = A new recruit in basic training.

Kahara likes this.
  21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Happy that she got the communication device and a totally natural reaction -- "a boy, yuck!" [face_laugh] ;) Besides the fact that there really are a lot of "new people" coming round. [face_thinking]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  22. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Aww, that's sweet, love the relaxed holiday athmosphere to start, with a dark streak as we hear them discuss Dex' Diner, and then indeed the very natural for a girl that age 'one-on-one boy ugh' reaction, while the adults try to get two kids to have a playmate - they are both old enough to find that annoying :) Has to be hard for Cassie, so many new people. But, who knows, maybe she'll come to enjoy some of them after a while.

A communication device - Vader sure moves quickly, and even stealthy, didn't think he had it in him, but it seems Friendship brings about the good in him!

23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: There is a Vader one-shot that mentions that communication device & her upcoming friendship with Zevulon Veers, too. You and @DarthUncle have already read and commented to it.

Well, hon, you have won a bowl of ice cream for such thoughtful and witty comments. Let me call it a writing day for now and rush into the kitchen for you.

Expect an update of this story at least next Sunday (26th August)!

24. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Aww! Pink is every little girl’s color when she’s 5. Also, learning to swim in a lake sounds like fun. Of course she doesn’t like boys- they have cooties!

Also, who doesn’t like ?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    all the imperials are there. And learning to swim is nice and useful
    (many drowning victims this years)