main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends “And death shall have no dominion", story about Krennic's daughter (canon & legends mix), 27 Ch. FIN

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    A girl and her dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Hmm. I think that Kallus may have had the right idea about separating Cassie from that diary -- a shame for it to be destroyed though! Though I'm sure Nagina herself would want no one to be endangered by her knowledge.

Love the Cassie and puppy portrait -- as you already know you made it convincingly rancor-like. ;) He's very endearing. [face_love]

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: I feel very honoured knowing you. For you are the one who beta-edits my mumbo jumbo stuff & in addition you are also the 1st one to answer. Thank you!

@Nehru_Amidala: I hope you did like the update itself as well. :p

@Kahara: No, Nagina would not want anybody to come to harm on her account!

Okay, @DarthUncle, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701, @Vek Talis and others, the next short update is up:

(Still Chapter 18!)

Of course Uncle Alex has mercy on me, for he loves me very much. But there is a punishment after all. I have to destroy that beautiful sketch book of Mistress Nagina. And she has put almost a lifetime of work into it.

My fingers tremble very much when I use my godfather's lighter. I almost burn myself, but he comes to stand behind me and assists me. His hands are so calm, so skilled. As if he is used to put the universe on fire.

While the flames eat up all the gathered knowledge, tears prickle my eyes. It is a waste really. And even worse it's pointless for I have stored all the content in my brain forever more.

“There is no need to cry, Sweetie,” Uncle Alex says ever so tenderly, which makes the situation even worse for me. If he just could be is harsh and unforgivable military self. But this is the private him doing that. “Those pages contained things that never should have seen daylight.”

“But the Sith are a fact,” I protest, my heart beating hard and fierce. “Mistress Nagina even suggested that her own uncle is one.”

My godfather huffs like some kind of Kyat dragon. “A Naboo fisherman? Pretty dangerous for the benefit of the Empire, if you ask me.”

He starts making me angry by twisting the facts. “But Nagina was born in the days of the Republic.”

“So was I and your father, too.” He pats my head in a way that I find almost patronizing. “Big deal.”

Somehow he tries to divert me, to take my mind off things that really matter. I raise my chin up high. “And if Nagina had an uncle on Naboo, why was she brought all the way here to Chandrila?”

“Child protective services are always a nuisance, Sweetie. Even in the Outer Rim.” He shrugs his shoulders. “Anyway, it is close to midnight. Let us extinguish this fire and go to sleep.”

He is too eager and at the same time too dismissive. But then again, must I really know everything? Mistress Nagina is dead, obviously a casualty of the Clone Wars. That uncle of hers must long be gone, too. Even if he was more than an ordinary fisherman. Uncle Alex was pretty quick mentioning his occupation. I suppose that man has rather been an administrative aid who followed Sheev Palpatine to Coruscant. For where else would a Sith lord go to cast a shadow? Politics is a dirty business. Daddy complains about the Imperial Senate all the time. Especially about a woman called Mon Mothma and another politician named Bail Prestor Organa.

Taking one last look at the glowing ash I say with a hushed, almost subdued voice, “Is Daddy really having fun with a lady while we speak?”

My godfather ruffles my hair. “You are full of questions tonight. I am sure that I have some soporific agents somewhere in my tool box.”

“It's okay that he enjoys himself.” I beam, giving my best not to sulk. If I want then I can sound very convincing. “I caught the gazes that Max gives his wife each time at the dinner table. Plus I heard some strange noises from the master bedroom.”

My godfather sighs half-heartedly. “It was a mistake bringing you and Zev into the house again. The tent was nice.”

“But after all those unannounced visitors on this property, Daddy was against it.”

Daddy joins us on our hay stack in the grey hours of morning. As far as I can tell in the twilight, he is in his civvies. He does that each time he meets a lady. 'Private affairs' he calls those rare meetings. His Imperial uniform stays on a hanger in his wardrobe then.

“Hi!” I beam, enjoying the musky scent of his aftershave.

“Sleep on!” he whispers, when he slides his arms around me.

While I nestle my head against his chest, he turns us around so that we both face the ceiling.

A great shudder of relaxation goes through him. “I love a sweet home-coming like that,” he whispers.

“Shut up, Orry!” curses Uncle Alex mildly. “Or I will have your own Death Troupers have you shut down.”

I cannot help it. The question burns in my mind. “Why are the Death Troupers called Death Troupers?” I blurt out. “Is it a cover-up for 'the sickness'?

Daddy is so quickly on his feet that I almost lose my balance. “Alex!” he thunders.

“This is not my fault!” My godfather is on the defence immediately. “You can thank Nagina for it.”

“What?” comes the flabbergasted answer.

“Her Ladyship obviously had some sort of sketchbook with all her favourite subjects in it.”

There is an eerie silence that scares me.

“If you'd excuse me,” Daddy suddenly grits out. “Active euthanasia is needed.”

“You will do nothing of that kind,” replies my godfather. “Despite what happened in the past, he is your daughter's grandfather. You made him that by coming here.”

Daddy stares ahead of him in the cold light of morning. Finally, he pipes up, “How bad is it this time?”

“Very,” admits my godfather.

“Military secrets?”

“Yup.”

“Religious gibberish?”

“Of course. This is Nagina we are talking about.”

Ever so slowly, Daddy's shoulders slump. Then he hides his face between both hands. He turns away from us. “This is not how I imagined our first holidays together. The past keeps haunting me.”

“Then don't let it!” suggests Uncle Alex. “As far as I can tell you have a good, obedient daughter.”

Daddy's hands sink down and reveal an ugly smirk on his lips. “Are you sure we are talking about the same girl?”

“I can hear you!” I sulk.

“Hopefully, you can.” Daddy is at my side in no time, framing my face with both hands. His palms seem to be on fire. “I loved Ina more than my own life, but she never listened to me. She was daft to my reasoning, wanted things only her complicated way.”

I have a bright smile for him. “She was not an officer's daughter like me, right?”

Perplexed, Daddy gazes at me, his blue eyes wide in bewilderment. “Er, no?” And then he adds. “She did not even know who her father was.”

“That means her mom showed less responsibility than mine?”

He blinks several times. “Naboo might call themselves human, but practically they are a race of their own,” he slowly admits. “With strange traditions.”

“Anyway,” I try to stay on track. “There was no father to teach her wrong from right. Only that uncle of hers.”

Now Daddy looks somewhat startled. “What do you know about him?”

“That he obviously did no great job.” I wiggle my nose. “But you do and Uncle Alex as well. Yes, I might know about military secrets like 'Operation Blackwing' but whom should I speak to about it? Zev? Certainly not. Not because I do not trust him. Because those secrets are not mine to pass on. They are property of His Imperial Majesty. We, his loyal servants, owe him.”

Something like relief shows up in Daddy's features. “So you will forget all about the things you have read?”

“I have to. Otherwise you and Uncle Alex are very upset with me. It would reflect badly on you as officers of our beloved Empire.” I mean every world that I say. “When I have learned something from Conny, then it is that a woman has to be a source of trust, encouragement and confidentiality within a military household. Otherwise it reflects badly on...”

A rather stormy embrace basically chokes my flow of words. “I love you so much,” Daddy sighs.

(To be continued!)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Kahara and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  4. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Enjoying these interesting installments. Disease? What are the death troopers doing in their down time? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Of course Orson is suspicious of his old man, fathers aren’t the best in the GFFA (Vader, I’m looking at you.).

DarthUncle, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Orson has the full range of emotions in this intriguing conversation: oh, no! Nagina? What does Cassandra know about Nagina, and the uncle? [face_worried] Then [face_relieved] Palpable relief, since Cassandra mentions the Emperor in loyal-subject terms instead of blood-relation terms [face_laugh]

=D=

6. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I really did LOL, this exchange is golden. [face_laugh]

It's really interesting to see how Cassie reacts to what little she has learned of Nagina -- of course she would see military values differently than her predecessor and of course she thinks of dads as very essential. After all that's all she's known in her life, and whatever else one might say about him Orson is certainly a devoted father. But she also has intuition that most people don't, and I wonder how that's going to affect things down the line. [face_thinking] She favors her loved ones but she's not exactly easily fooled. In any case, peak Cassie cuteness as usual. :)

7. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Didn't find opportunity to sit in front of computer and comment on your last update, so here's a warmed-up bit for you, with only then following a comment about your latest update ;)
    Aww. And yet, there's this feeling/intuition, same as Nagina. Still, I am glad for Cassie that she has family with who she has a more or less normal, and definitely genuine, relationship.
    Ooh, crafty Alex! But sweetly done nevertheless; Not evil to make sure your little girl knows things she overhears are classified stuff she shouldn't know, nor speak about.
    awww. Yeah, I can understand it had to be destroyed, and am not at all sure this is something that Cassie needs to see; even if it's Ina's, but then again, Ina also should never have had to be exposed to these things, and she certainly got sort of obsessed with them (can't help her uncle, but she still felt responsible for trying to stop him, and arguably it - and therefore he - destroyed her).
    Quick lie for the best there Alex? oh well.
    So close, and yet far. See, intuition and knowledge/soul of a person wiser in the ways of the world colour her views, but she can't bring herself to the final conclusion. And, as a child, nor should she, I think. Sure Alex and Orson are protecting themselves and the empire, but at the same time, they are also protecting here from the dangerous and vile truth (of what the empire stands for, but neither, at least not yet, sees that ...). I am very much against not telling people the full truth to 'protect' them, but I do think that for kids, and especially kids as young as she is, that's not an issue and they deserve to be protected by their family in some respects.
    heh, lol, ugh; TMI!

heh.
    Hahaha; well, and lovingly, done.
    Aww, and see above, and what @Kahara said about that too.

We have read another point of view about why Nagina didn't follow his advice in her own story, and I have to say, she definitely had her reasons, but, it's also clear that her relationship with her uncle, and the upbringing she had damaged her - I think she still managed to be a great, beautiful person, but indeed, her own safety wasn't a large part of her reasoning, and she kept feeling a need to prove herself to be just and righteous (hey, sorry @AzureAngel2 for spoiling where she connects to Lucien! .. and Cassie too, though she mainly wants to show her dads that she loves and listens to them, usually - but with Vader, that's a bit different, isn't it).

Well said, much the same reaction here [face_rofl]

8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @Nehru_Amidala: Thanks for fun comment about death trooper hobbies & GFFA joys of fatherhood! :D

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: There are reasons why Krennic has greying hair in "Rouge One". They all come from worrying about Cassandra.

@Kahara: I enjoy you being back in the boat. So I hope we can gently float down the river and won´t cry out any more. ;)

@DarthUncle: While you & your twin play "Dungeons & Dragons on-line" (which is reasonable when living far apart from one another like the two of you), I try to think about reasonable answers for you & decide to give them to you off-line. Because you will stay with me for some days before your next hospital checks are due, right? O:)

Let me better update now. Which also might interest @Cowgirl Jedi 1701, @earlybird-obi-wan & @Vek Talis plus others.

(Still Chapter 18!)

At the brekkie table the Veers family has bad news for us, especially for me. “The holiday break is over,” announces Zevulon's father during his second mug of caf. “We need to fly back to Coruscant today.”

My throat feels clogged and I am inexplicably close to tears. “This is not fair!” I yelp, causing my Corellian hound to howl in sympathy underneath my chair.

“There is something called compulsory school attendance for all children, sweetie,” Uncle Alex throws in. There are dark rings under his eyes due to last night's events. “Just because you are exempt, does not mean your buddy here is, too.”

In my lap, my hands turn into shivering fists. I don't want to be the exception from the general Imperial rules, the odd one out. “Why can't I be a normal child, attending a public school?” I voice.

“Hey, we live on the same planet, right?” My best friend, seated opposite to me, grins widely. His eyes are bright with plans for us. “Of course we will see each other. I could visit you straight after classes each day. Right?”

Conny looks genuinely sorry. “Fact is, you might not have as much time together as you think, children,” she says. “Max has an upcoming assignment on Corellia.”

“What?”

There is panic all over Zevulon's handsome face, making him look like a mooka pup. He even makes the same kshhhing sound, which causes Boomer to bark excitedly under the table. The puppy obviously expects the company of another animal.

“Sorry about that, son.” Despite his harsh military training Max looks slightly flustered. “But an order is an order. And our duty is to serve the Emperor's will.”

“You can't do that to me.” In front of my worried eyes, the boy basically falls apart. “There is nothing there on Corellia. Neither for mother nor for me. It is just a dump hole like… like... Tatooine. Or... or like that little moon in the middle of nowhere. What's its name again?”

“Endor,” his father helps out somewhat grimly, while Daddy almost chokes on his spoon full of muesli.

Zevulon makes a wry face. “That moon had at least forest grounds on it and those funny bears.”

“Ewoks,” confirms Max.

I smile because my friend Mitth'raw'nuruodo has mentioned them to me during our first meeting.

“You walker crew liked to shoot at them with their canons. Just to stock up their scarce food rations with fried meat much later on.”

My smile freezes, while Uncle Alex enthusiastically exclaims, “Ewok jerky! Yummy! Excellent stuff!”

But my friend does not notice my distress. His own is too great. “Seriously, dad? Corellia? It reeks of fish and criminal scum like that White Worms gang.”

“An order is an order,” Max raises with the speed of a hostile missile. “No questions asked.”

There is a stubborn line around Zevulon's mouth. “If people would ask more questions within the Empire than things would be much, much better.”

“Go into your room!” orders the Special Forces man. “Now!”

“This is Master Agrippa's home. Only he can send me…”

A hard slap in the face silences the boy immediately.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :eek: Total upheaval interrupts the fun vacation and the nice Veers' family atmosphere. :oops: =D=

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I see a future rebel in the making here.

11. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Soylent Endor is people! :eek: Though I get the feeling most of Zev's teenagerish rebellion here is a case of don't-wanna-move-itis, all of the adults are making an excellent case for why he is correct. At a bare minimum, if it talks don't eat it! [face_sick] Cassie knows that much. I feel bad for Zev, he may be being a little overwrought over the things he's overwrought about but the No Questioning Ever policy that seems to be in place for his household isn't going to make a good basis for anything but confusion and resentment. Well, it seems that the long summer vacation is at an end, possibly forever in some ways. Poor kiddos!

12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: And slight changes up-heaved this story between Chapter 1 & 18. [face_whistling]The entire story now starts shorty before the Festival of Stars. And Cassie is constantly told she is six years something and will be seven soon, but she just turned five.

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Wookiepedia would agree with you about Zev, but I cannot spoiler you now. Wait, I did with another short fan fic of mine.

@Kahara: You have the sight, right? For you are more than correct.

Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  13. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Heh, of course they are, now it all makes sense, including why he's so impatient - wants to go back to his little girl.

Hm, right. Well, as I said weeks ago - yes, will be with you next Sunday morning, before travelling back here at the end of the week.

Sigh, not your fault, but I can't help bring it up; you know my frustration with Legends and new Canon about things like this: tatooine should be hardly known (perhaps until it's homeboy Luke shoots the death star - heh, sore point?!), and Endor makes no sense if it is known (a place for stupid hunters like we have the ex-king of Spain go and hunt lions/giraffe's and elephants?) ahead of the Emperor and Darth Vader, and most of the vitality of the Empire, dying there, since that would make it a bad place to build a 2nd Death Star (that word again ...) where the rebellion needs to think it is to be a secret that required many Bothan death's to uncover, rather than a enticing trap as it was intended. Grr. oh well, too late now, but it makes the galaxy look like a very small place to so often hear the same planet names.

ugh. Good that others (thanks @Kahara, have to agree - but of course, Empire is evil, these adults are all into it, we have to leave some room for that).
    Heh, indeed. But it would not nearly be as much the empire either, right?

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, @DarthUncle, I sometimes listen to your reasoning, but not about the planets that I choose.

Endor is known in my story due to occasional troop manoeuvres. And a dull place like Tatooine for the gangsters that can be found there.

But well, here quickly another update, because I need to get you welcome cake from the kitchen sink into the fridge.

Okay, here we go and hopefully I do notify the right folk. Tell me if you do not with to be linked for an update @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @Kahara, @earlybird-obi-wan, @Nehru_Amidala & @Cowgirl Jedi 1701. And perhaps @Darth_Furio & @Vek Talis like the honorary mention of a certain sith architect.

"And death shall have no dominion", Chapter 19:

To say that I am heartbroken is an absolute understatement. But even Daddy cannot interfere with the educational methods of the head of the Veers family. Until departure Zevulon will remain grounded upstairs.

With tears in my eyes, I stand at the foot of the stairs and cling on to the balustrade. I feel helpless and frustrated. My brain keeps spinning in uneven circles.

“Come here, little soldier!” Daddy suggests in a sweet tone of voice.

His compassion makes it even worse. I start to shake and shiver like a grass seed in the wind. Snot running out of my nose. “N-n-not f-f-air!” I state.

“The universe cannot be fair twenty-three hundred hours all the time.”

I sniff, bereft of words.

“I have an offer for you though. One you will not be able to resist.” In slow motion Daddy sinks down on his knees. “Give us a hug, will you?”

I try to stay strong.

His arms open wide like the wings of a bulabird taking flight. “Please?”

My defiance cracks by his last word. I flee into his embrace.

Daddy runs his fingers over my back in a slow, pleasing rhythm. “Your Zev had it coming.” His voice is firm. Imperious even. “A good soldier has to know when to zip it up. Especially around a superior.”

I want to throw in that my friend is not a soldier yet, but a child. That I am still a child. But the survivors of the Clone Wars, Daddy being just one of them, have a different view on life altogether. There is nothing what I can do against it. And so I let him hold me, comfort me.

When Max passes us, he is busy adjusting his officer waist belt. His eyes widen when he takes notice of us. His embarrassment grows when Daddy comments, “This is not Prefsbelt Fleet Camp or the Junior Academy on Eriadu, but my old man's home. Just as your son said earlier on.”

The other man wipes some sweat pearls off his brow. As if he just had been busy with hard physical labour. “Sorry for so much drama, Orson!”

Daddy harrumphs, but then manages to state in more understandable basic, “Move along, please! I am busy with crisis intervention here! Female hearts are easily crushed.”

“I didn't mean…,” the Special Forces man tries to defend himself, but gets interrupted straight away.

“You might know a lot about your walkers, but this is definitely my territory! My daughter!”

“Right,” snaps Max and hurries to join the other grown-ups in the kitchen.

For some heartbeats, Daddy remains motionless, his lips sealed. Through my hiccups I can hear his strained breath.

Then he lets go of me but continues kneeling. “What I want you to learn is to obey when it is necessary. Of course some orders seem ridiculous at times.” His voice has taken on a different timbre now. “Quick thinking and disregard of a direct order at Colroon III once gave Max a promotion to major. But it also might have caused Cornelia to stay unmarried.”

I try to follow his hyperlane of thoughts, but the trapped Zevulon makes quite a tantrum in his upstairs bedroom.

“Forget about him for a second! Just listen to me, Cassandra! It is of the greatest importance.”

There is banging and more shouting from upstairs.

“May I have your attention?”

In a haze, I nod, even though Conny runs past us and starts to descant the stairs. She is crying. “I will not have it, Max!” she calls over her shoulder. “The right of corporal punishment should be over and done with. Like the war with the Seperatists. It is wrong.”

I so agree with her.

Daddy waits until she is out of sight and actually hearing range again. Only then he says, “There might come a day when I tell you to run. And no questions asked.”

There is a movement behind us.

Fraternally, Uncle Alex places his hands on Daddy's shoulders. “Orson, we should return to the kitchen.”

“We need to prepare her for the Code Red scenario, Alex.”

My godfather sucks in his breath, a sharp inhalation overly loud in the hall. “You are taking this all too serious.”

Daddy's head jerks up and he looks grim. “You have not been at the autopsy. I was there. Inside the kindie building. This will not happen to Cassandra.”

I do not like where this is going. “Daddy, in war people die all the time. But we are not at war.”

“Is that so?” he spits out, his face a mask of contempt all of a sudden. “Tell that to Saw Gerrera and his cutthroats. They will not stop their bloody campaigns! Campaigns that even get the innocent killed. Like my Ina.”

I start to shiver, feeling cold all of a sudden.

Daddy is not finished ranting yet. “Or take Cham Syndulla!”

“Seriously?” my godfather comments. “You bring him up? Now?”

“He was bold enough to try to execute the Emperor and Lord Vader six months ago.”

That news comes to me as a shock. Both men, our beloved ruler and my dark prince, always seemed invincible to me. Until now.

“Orson!” warns my godfather.

“This universe is not all pink and fluffy!” There is anger in Daddy's eyes, giving them the colour of rain clouds. “Max is right to be hard to the boy.”

I bite my underlip so hard that I draw blood. But I must not, will not speak up against the man who raises me as his own.

“Orders need to be obeyed, not commented. And you, Cassandra, will learn that in one way or the other.”

A tiny blood drop runs over my chin, feeling somewhat ticklish on my skin.

“Great, she hurt herself!” Uncle Alex curses.

I let him mollycoddle me while pressing his handkerchief against the small wound.

Daddy keeps staring at me like I am a construction error that needs to be corrected by all means. “Public school is out of question for you. But you will get the best teachers from me, no matter what it costs me. As long as you manage to stay alive...”

“Give it a break!” my godfather cuts in, his patience completely used up.

I am swept off my feet and find myself dangling from my godfather's back.

“Where do you think you are going with her?” Daddy barks after us.

“Cassie here did not even finish breakfast. And you throw all that poodoo in her face.”

Hours later, I gaze out into space, flattening my nose against the glass of the cockpit of the T-3c shuttle. Out there it looks exactly how I feel inside.

Our goodbye from the Veers family has been rushed from both sides. And packing our stuff in for our return to Coruscant had been even quicker.

At least I have been given the promise to be able to see Gramps and Jay for the New Year Fete again. That festival will last an entire week and if I am training hard with several laser blasters, I get extra days on Chandrila.

“Are you okay?” Uncle Alex enquires, while he sits at the controls.

I nod, but not with great eagerness.

“You are the co-pilot. I need you to stay put. Just in case I black out, you know?”

Despite his funny plea, I close my eyes. But that does not blot out the angry voice in the background.

You reckon? The greater danger is that I will explode right in your face, if you do not manage to meet that deadline, Galen. This is ridiculous!”

This is actually a dialogue, but I cannot hear the answers. They are by far too soft.

“Oh, I am flat out like a Falleen drinking. No way! You carry on like a nerf shop!”

My godfather slaps his head. “I hate when your father does that. No reasonable Coruscanti would talk such gibberish! Promise me to never pick up the West Country accent.”

Seated in the sparse crew cabin with its simple crash seats and storage straps, Daddy has this nasty conversation with Galen Erso. One I would like to blend out altogether.

My headache is extreme by now. So extreme, that I start to get double vision.

I keep pressing my brow against the thick glass, hoping that it will bring some cooling. They pumped so much medicine in my system during my stay in the hospital six months ago, that I feel uncomfortable by the thought of taking a headache remedy. This is why I am not asking. Why I suffer in silence.

“The ship is optimized for stealth, but not for comfort travel.” Uncle Alex is slightly nervous. “If you should feel sick in any way, please let me know before the remains of your breakfast are all over the place.”

There is a yelp from my lap.

“I was not talking to you, hound,” my godfather smiles down at my Corellian hound.

If anybody is more distressed than me at present, it is poor Boomer. This is certainly not his first time in space. But I am sure that he never had to face the full wrath of an engineer who is not overly happy with a project. Leave alone with an underling.

“Hey, it's okay!” I assure my pet and start to endear it.

“Glad you found your voice back, sweetie!” Uncle Alex beams.

A lamp blinks at the keyboard.

“What now?” he curses.

“It's an incoming message from Eadu,” Daddy looms in the door way like a veermok ready to kill everything in its path. “Ignore it!”

(To be continued!)

Translation from the Chandrilan rural dialect into Basic:

kindie = kindergarten
    You reckon? = You think?
    flat out like a Falleen drinking = to be really busy
    carry on like a nerf shop = behaving in a silly or stupid way

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super with Orson at odds with everyone and trying to soothe Cassandra, but Alex is doing a more sympathetic job. His irritation with Erso and his fear for her safety doubtless make him have a very obsessive kind of attitude. [face_thinking] But all dear Cassie knows is she and Zev are separated for no reason & Zev cannot express his feelings without his Dad coming down on him like a tyrant. :eek:

=D=

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Missing the Veers family already

17. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha & @earlybird-obi-wan, once more feel hugged for reading & leaving a comment behind.

This week I was too busy logging in, but I lurked around during my 30 minutes lunch breaks.

Expect some short updates next weekend.

Perhaps finally an equally busy @DarthUncle can come around, too.

18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay here a quick update, before I go to bed. @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha is always quick and efficient when a text comes in. No matter how often it comes in. [face_blush]

Perhaps @DarthUncle can finally find some time to read. And I am curious who else might follow. Possibly @Kahara, @earlybird-obi-wan, @Nehru_Amidala and others.

(Still Chapter 19!)

The stormy weather on Eadu fits Daddy's unbelievably bad mood. The moment we are out of the ship, the three of us are wet up to the underpants. To wear Daddy's rain gear – a military poncho and the green cap – does not help with all the wind tugging at me.

“Please do not blow off the platform, sweetie!” Uncle Alex begs while he carries me towards the building that is as grey as the weather beaten mountain landscape around us.

“I am trying!” I yelp, while I cling on to my godfather. His fleximetal cuirass is unusually slick due to the rain.

Boomer is better off in Daddy's arms, but he whines heartbreakingly. “Cry baby!” he gets admonished. “I should have gotten a rancor after all.”

“Your landlord would have loved that, Orson!” yells Uncle Alex into the rain shower. “I am sure of it.”

“Who needs to get notified when you die in action, Agent Kallus?”

“Jerk!”

“And this is certainly not 'Take Our Kids to Work Day'. I've checked before you ignored my order not to answer that frecking call.”

I stare into the rain, hoping their bickering does not continue.

The Force has mercy on us.

Moments later I get ushered into Daddy's office, but he does not stay on. Instead he marches on without letting go of my pet.

“Why did Daddy take Boomer with him?”

My question remains unanswered. With lips still twisted in annoyance my godfather places me down in a large swivel chair. The furniture faintly reminds me of my dark prince. In awe my finger tips wander over the black leather surface. I must say that I like the feeling of it.

“Well, let's improvise, shall we?” He takes an emergency kit from the office wall and opens it. “Just as I hoped. Bless the supply unit and the medical corps!”

Uncle Alex produces a long foil that glitters golden on one side and silver on the other one.

“It will do for now.”

While my godfather is gone trying to find a dryer for my wet clothing, I remain behind. At least I am wrapped up in a thermal blanket, also known as a space blanket.

In slow motion I pull my legs up to my chest. This way my naked feet also can enjoy the spreading warmth.

I start looking around in the office, but there is nothing to see from clean surfaces. As if Daddy has been afraid to leave anything personal behind in this room. Another explanation also might be that he has no emotional ties to this place. So he cannot be bothered giving it a touch of character.

With nothing else to study, I concentrate on the blanket itself. It is made out of Mylar. Like the gas filled balloons that Mitth'raw'nuruodo brought me as a gift when I was ill a couple of days ago. I hope they are not deflated yet.

What amazes me that just ten days have passed since I saw my Chiss friend. My time on Chandrila was filled with so much action and people that it seemed much, much longer than that.

A loud sneeze escapes me, followed by some snot.

“Great!” I curse under my breath. “I am worse than Boomer.”

In search of a handkerchief I try to open a drawer, but just one is accessible for me. All the others are sealed.

“I hate classified stuff!” I complain while my right hand dives deep into the drawer.

There is no handkerchief, but some nostalgic paper and an even more nostalgic pencil.

Colourful crayons would have been great, but Daddy is not a child any more.

When I take the top sheet out, I spot some hearts on the sheet right underneath.

A big smile spreads over my face, even though it makes my hurt underlip stitch a bit. “Awww, Daddy!” I sigh happily.

In Aurebesh my name is written into all those hearts.

Turning the chair away from the desk, I hug the sheet against me.

Suddenly, the mechanical door opens.

“I am sorry to have ruined your day, Orson,” an unknown male voice says full of fatigue. “But you ask the impossible of me and the rest of the team. We really need to talk face to face.”

Too scared to face the speaker I do not turn around. First of all I have no clue who he is, even though he sounds nice. Then talking to strangers has brought a lot of trouble unto me recently. But most important, I am stark naked under my space blanket. This is embarrassing.

“To contain dark matter quintessence is a dangerous side path. I am not even sure it is really needed, Orson.”

I know that I should cover my ears, but instead I hide my face between my hands. Yet while I do, the sheet spirals towards the floor. There is no way to stop it.

An uncomfortable silence turns the situation even more awkward.

“Cassie?” the speaker wonders.

I bite into one of my fists, my teeth leaving marks.

“I was not even aware that you were seeing somebody, Orson.”

This is but a great mess that I got myself in.

I do not moan inside my head. I scream.

“Good for you.” The man sucks in a lot of breath before adding, “I know that I do not have the right to ask you something private. But for the sake of old times, is she the reason, why you have a bad mood these days?”

I. Must. Not. Comment.

“Because she comes between you and your true fulfilment?” The man continues, setting my heart on fire even more. “The project we are both on?”

Just like that my fear is gone and in its place is the anger that Lord Vader asked me to embrace.

“Master Galen!”

Somewhat dramatically, I swing around.

The blanket decides to glide off my shoulders and to expose my naked chest. At least it is still covers the lower part of my body. This is so uncool! I am sure Zevulon would agree.

Irritated, I rant on, “You are the one who makes Daddy angry with your work attitude. He even had to come here today instead of bringing me straight home from our family holiday.”

Brown eyes stare at me in shock, then in bewilderment and finally in great sorrow. They belong to a pale, haggard man, who wears a uniform that looks more like a lab smock.

I should stop talking, but the words break out of me like hot lava does when spraying out of a volcano. “Due to you I have nothing to wear but this blanket. Everything is soaking wet. Everything!”

The eyes keep staring at me like I am some monster from the Unknown Region.

I puff up my cheeks and let the air escape very slowly. Then I say, “Do yourself a favour and forget that you ever set eyes on me!”

“Forget!” echoes Galen Erso. “How can I?”

There is no need to say the following, but perhaps it will prove to him how dire the situation is. I mean he is a scientist. Therefore he should be full of logic like my therapist, Doctor Robotham.

“Daddy should not see us together.”

The staring continues.

“I mean, Daddy can be quite overprotective,” I explain the obvious. “And he has a very good reason to be.”

It does not come out as nice and smooth as it should, but if I cease talking now, I will lose my reasoning all together. It simply has to be.

“Somebody called Nail,... no that's not right.” I hit my own brow hard, making my already existing headache worse. “S-s-saw, yes Saw. Well, he has killed a lady friend of Daddy's five years ago. Her name was Nagina Samye and she was a kindergarten teacher.”

“Saw Gerrera?” the man wonders, torn between horror, and strange enough, hope.

“Yes, Saw Gerrera.” But I do not want to be held up by the right name's dropping. This one he needs to hear badly. “I am so very sorry he took your Jyn.”

His face is like water, the feelings on it changing ever so quickly. Finally, weariness wins and he croaks, “Who took my stardust?”

I guess he is referring to his Jyn. But it is a silly nickname. “Well, Saw Gerrera,” I sputter.

As if this is not obvious, but perhaps Master Galen denies the truth to himself. Grown-ups are good at that. Especially Lord Vader.

The scientist frowns at me, repeating, “Saw Gerrera.”

If that name will fall once more, my shouting will be so immense that even the Imperial palace on Coruscant will crumble to dust.

I glare into the strained face and pity tugs at my heart. Perhaps I just should use simple words. I can clearly see that this man is not well. He is clearly overworked and lacks of sleep. Daddy has those days, too. Besides, what I have to say will make things even worse.

Knotting my fingers, I state, “Saw Gerrera kidnapped your Jyn from some kind of sewer. Right after shooting your wife in a corn field on Lam'hu. Daddy told me.”

There is a gurgling sound, rising from the depths of his throat. It takes me a while to identify it as laughter. But it is distorted.

Perhaps Master Galen is mad? This actually can happen to scientists and engineers at times. Also to architects. Daddy, for example, can be mad at times. But then again there is true lunacy. It comes with the touch of the dark side of the Force. There was this man called Momin. Mistress Nagina had mentioned him in her records.

But before I can ponder on the monstrosities that this particular Sith lord had created in the honour of the dark side, Daddy's office door opens again.

My right hand flies towards my mouth, covering its full length.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super, with Cassandra having a very unique and heart-stopping encounter.

20. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Geez Galen, give the girl her privacy, will ya?

Great chapter, looks like a forboding future for Cass.

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great with her discussing things

Kahara, AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  22. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    it's almost like there's a theme there ;) But, here I am, so that's fine I hope, even if a few days after you wished for.@};-
    Well said, that was a bit of an awkward moment. Not quite the only one in these latest updates!

Of course Galen is a bit of a typical (cliché?) research focused scientist, and in addition eager to learn about his dusty little star Jynn too, so I suppose we must forgive him the lack of propriety :rolleyes:

That was quite the whirlwind of things happening around and to Cassie, must have been confusing for her. Loved her voice in this, yet again. Also glad Galen learned that his daughter is (was?) not caught ; good for the galaxy, and humanity, and a fateful exchange too, I expect but also setting up a traumatic experience for Cassie later in her life, when the events of Rogue One kill her father and eventually lead to a first big dent in the Empire's image of inevitability.

23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Well, I had to put Galen in. It felt right.

@Nehru_Amidala: Always in motion the future is.

@earlybird-obi-wan: She is very loyal to her father. Like a little duckling towards the first thing it gazes at when hatching.

@DarthUncle: Well, good old Tolkien let Bilbo Baggins say: “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Non of this would have happened if Orson and the child he adopted stayed at home instead of going to the library. Journeys change. Ask all the heroes in epics.

Okay, next update, being made possible again by @DarthUncle (muse) & @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (beta-editor). Perhaps @Kahara, @Nehru_Amidala, @earlybird-obi-wan & others might join this party, too:

"And death shall have no dominion", Chapter 20:

Uncle Alex is spooked out. But not for long. It takes him less than three seconds to access the situation. In his line of work only the quick thinkers survive. “Erso, out! Now!” he orders, sounding like the drill sergeant he can be.

To my surprise the scientist obeys, but not without giving me one last look full of heart-splitting sadness.

“Daddy will find your daughter,” I assure Master Galen. “And he will punish Saw Gerrera. There is hope.”

For some reason the bearded man winces while the door closes behind him. Perhaps he is suffering from some a muscular disease, just like me.

“Cassandra, just get dressed!” my godfather remarks sourly.

A bundle gets thrown on the desk. It looks like my clothes and they are dry.

“We'll talk later! Five minutes sharp!” he clips out and follows the scientist outside.

Whatever they talk about, the thick metal door drowns it out. No use to me. It is wiser to make the best of the time that is given to me. But I am so nervous that I put on my dress from the inside out. I leave it the way it is.

My headache is worse than ever before and I must confess that I do not feel very well. Perhaps I should have eaten more than a slice of toasted bread and Joghan berry jam at Gramps' house. But I was so upset about the Veers family leaving without proper good-bye.

When I get up in order to retrieve the sheet, I notice that Galen Erso still must have it in his possession. Which is bad news.

“Freeze, rainbow!” my godfather slurs when he comes back in.

I am so fearful that I manage his order without any protest.

His embrace almost breaks my ribs. “Never give the enemy your name!”

Nothing that I can reply will do. So I keep my tongue.

“Do not, copy that, do not go through your father's belongings, even when boredom or curiosity plague you!”

I try to nod, but still being pressed against him, I have little space to move properly.

“And now I want an exact summery of your conversation!” Uncle Alex releases me and, by doing so, creates some distance between us. “I will know when you lie!”

I try to smile innocently, but instead vomit comes out of my mouth. A lot of it. Even though I try to turn sideways, most of it hits my godfather.

The Eadu Energy Conversion Laboratory, desolated as it may seem from the outside, is nicely equipped from the inside. Daddy believes in medical benefits for his minions, therefore the medical bay does have the best equipment available on the market. It also hosts an A 2-1B surgical droid and a GH-7 meddroid. The latter reminds me a bit of Jay. But then again, this unit here has none of his humour or communication skills.

“And this is my analysis, Director Krennic,” the robot ends his very long summery.

“ICP,” Daddy repeats.

This is not the first time, that he is start speaking in capital capitals. It gives his speeches more gravity and meaning.

“The CT scan and the MRI that you also had me do were clear about it, Director Krennic,” the GH-7 repeats in his slow voice, that is programmed to please and to calm. “No further testing is necessary.”

Outwardly, Daddy embodies peace. But deep inside him a storm rages. His left hand, which is squeezing my right one continuously, is drenched in sweat. I do not mind that. I appreciate being held, for I am so scared.

“Lumbar puncture, really?”

“Yes, Director Krennic.”

Daddy's frown intensifies. “Well, tough poodoo. I will not have anybody drill a hole into my daughter.” He throws up a dismissive hand. “Just because there was some projectile vomiting out of a sudden.”

“And what do you want, Orson?” my godfather challenges him, losing his cool Coruscanti composure altogether. “A craniotomy when this gets worse? We are getting out of choices here.”

Craniotomy.

While I ponder on that complicated word, Daddy thunders, “I want a second opinion! This peace of post-Clone War junk can tell me a lot.”

There is a determined glint in Uncle Alex eyes. “Talking about the Clone Wars, well, there might be a radical solution.”

Daddy is all ears and leans in on his best friend.

“Even if this is high treason, Orson, we need to find a Jedi healer..”

Despite feeling nauseated, I prop up on my elbows. I had not seen this one coming.

“Have you, by any chance, read some of them flyers in my 'old man's house?” Daddy's brows draw together in consternation and then his blue eyes flash in annoyance. “Crazy thing is,… it's not true. The Force, the Jedi — all of it. It's so not true.

Helpfully, I add. “I believe in the Force.”

“Of course you would do.” Daddy's smile is strained. “No big surprise there.”

I lick my lips, try to be brave by all means. “Must I die now?”

“Oh, Cassie!” He rubs a hand over his red-rimmed eyes.

Suddenly, the door opens and a human in a lab smock hurries into the diagnostic room. “Director Krennic!” he calls out with a shaky voice.

The change in Daddy is subtle, but I do notice it anyway. The concerned parent turns into a multitasking manger with a killer smile. “My dear Rasett! Please do remind me!” he says a little bit too friendly. “Where you not busy in the lab with Sirro and the others?”

The scientist, pale and clearly in unmitigated pain, stutters, “I-I-I need to inform you about something!”

“A huge threat like a reactor leak?” Daddy jokes, but his smile does not match the thunderbolts in his eyes.

The man shakes his head.

“The Espresso machine broke again due to Galen?”

“Your pet!” the man wails and points down his leg. “It's hurting me.”

Only now I am aware that the scientist is trying to shake off Boomer. I already had been wondering where my Corellian hound was.

All of a sudden, Daddy starts looking extremely happy. “Of course.”

While the medical droid complains about animals in an area that needs to be kept as sterile as possible, Uncle Alex aks, “Fill me in, Orson!”

But Daddy is occupied with much different matters. “Boomer! Leave it!” he says in his most demanding voice.

I hear a soft “Woof!” and then the animal comes running.

“Are you not a clever, little bugger!” Daddy beams as he plucks Boomer from the floor. “Well done!”

“Director Krennic!” the scientist admonishes. “That beast shredded my trouser legs. I hope that you have an employer's liability insurance.”

“Oh, I can do much better than that. Ever fancied your own Espresso machine? With a huge supply of capsules?”

(To be continued!)

DarthUncle, Kahara and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  24. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Bribing an employee with endless espresso? Well played, Orson. Although, I prefer hoth chocolate myself. Poor Cassie and her headaches, wonder what’s going to happen next!

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Oh, Azure, you never cease to entertain! Now your version of Krennic feels like the actual canon version and the Disney one kind of meh. [face_mischief] :D [face_love]