main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - Legends “And death shall have no dominion", story about Krennic's daughter (canon & legends mix), 27 Ch. FIN

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Mar 24, 2018.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Cassie is a strong woman

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, indeedy! And if she's that strong of a woman now, just imagine how strong of a woman she'll be by the time she physically becomes a woman.

3. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    The 'then you need to whisper much much softer made me LOL (well, chuckle anyway).
    The rest is just heartwarming. ... and only then do we fully realise what Orson actually fears here:
    heh. Yes, I bet they will have to make sure that for now she doesn't yet know. When she's older, they can tell her what 'adopted' here really means; and why she shouldn't tell many people! (though, does it help her that Vader knows/guesses and doesn't mind?).

eh, LOL, great! See, they are nice guys after all :p

Well, I sort of doubt it is really due to a misunderstanding, but yeah, talking things over does seem like the least bad option, good on her for presenting the adult option here (is that her inner Nagina counseling?) :)

Clever Alex, only way to make her agree to stay without awkward explanations that should maybe only come in a more quiet and much later time in her life. Funny how Orson isn't savy enough to get it, too caught up in worry. He's not a cool cucumber.

Great read once again.

4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @earlybird-obi-wan, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 & @DarthUncle, as I said in my Sio(nnach) fan fic thread, I am in a bit of a hurry & fairly tired after a week in hell. My mother is packing the last items into her suitcase and then we are off to the Harz Mountains where I will charge my inner batteries.

"And death shall have no dominion", Chapter 13:

Dusk brings our visitors to our doorstep. Deactivating all minor house droids, Daddy and Uncle Alex have cleaned the farmhouse themselves.

“Every cadet learns how to keep his army locker clean and his weapon in good order,” Daddy says to me and winks. He is definitely in a good mood.

The room that we had until now will be hosting Cornelia Veers for a couple of days. She got fresh bedlinen. I added a big bouquet of field flowers and put it in a vase. Jay took care to carry it upstairs for me.

While Daddy saunters off to greet our guests, the tall robot comes to stand in front of me. “Well done, Mistress Cassandra! You should get a Hanna pendant from me. For freeing all droids from their chores today.”

I have no clue what a Hanna pendant is, but it sounds nice. Beaming up to the humanoid droid I say, “Will you shut off yourself?”

“Me, Mistress Cassandra?” He points at himself as if in shock. “Master Agrippa cannot go without me a single minute.”

I frown. “Are you never in sleep modus?”

“I take my duty to him very seriously. He is too old and fragile to be left on his own.”

“Not even for an oil bath?”

“Ah!” There is something dreamy in the electronic voice. “I simply cannot, Mistress Cassandra.”

I reach out for his left hand, which is the closest to me, and squeeze it lightly. “Tell me a date and a time, I will babysit grandpa for you.”

His massive metal head bends down. “If I were a human being, I would hug you right now.”

I start laughing.

“What is so funny?” asks Zevulon and zooms towards me.

“Jay just has proven that he is the most wonderful member of this household,” I reply.

The droid walks away in silence but cares to look back at us several times until he vanishes in the kitchen.

My friend covers his mouth in conspirator modus. “I find robots spooky in general.”

That surprises me. “Why?”

“You never know what goes around in their circuits.”

I come to Jay's defence. “That can be said for most humans and humanoids, too.”

“Good point taken,” he agrees, smiley all over his heart-shaped face. “But a living being cannot be brainwashed that easily.”

“Says who?” I argue. “When Uncle Alex is really up to it, he can re-write any person, too. Make them do things they never would have otherwise.”

Suddenly, I have to think about my dark prince. About all the things that he is able to do.

I fall quiet.

After dinner my cheerful mood is restored, because Zevulon knows a lot of silly jokes. It is hard to keep up a straight face to them.

“How do you get down from a bantha?”

I shrug, having no clue whatsoever.

“You don't. You get down from a goose.”

I crinkle my nose.

“What about this one, rainbow?” He winks at me. “A clone trooper walks into a pub and asks the barman,'Hey, have you seen my brother?'”

I hold my breath.

His grin gets wider. “Well?”

“Just tell,” I beg.

“I dunno,' says the barman, 'What does he look like?'”

Daddy snorts, while Uncle Alex rolls his eyes.

Zevulon has the next corny joke already on the way. “A Hutt slithers into the food court. The cashier says, 'Hey! We have a pizza place named after you!'”

I can feel that this one is going to be a masterpiece.

“The Hutt says, 'You have a pizza place named Jabba Desilijic Tiure?'”

Maximilian Veers holds up a hand. “Enough! You can tell Cassandra jokes the entire night. In that tent of yours. Some people try to eat here.”

“One last, dad!” he begs.

“Okay, one.”

“Two Jawas walk under a bar.”

(To be continued!)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update with a successful practice for Cassie & snark and "dumb jokes" =D=

AzureAngel2, Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    love the joking and banter

7. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    The jokes are brilliantly silly and your description of the scene matches it perfectly :)

Hm, I like the sentiment, but that's an undeveloped, childish notion, isn't it? A sharp shooter would be much better at ensuring he/she hit the right spot so as not to kill (of course, best not let others know if they intend it to be a kill then, but that's another matter ;)

Nice how Nagina's knowledge and feelings begin to permeate and reshape Cassie's thoughts here, wondering about the Empire, the clone war and how people feel about the empire, and try to act according to their own character, ideas and values while being beholden to the Empire which asks one to be a 'valuable citizen'; the
    bit was chilling, and heartbreaking, but at the same time shows that she doesn't see a big difference between how you treat androids like Jay, and people: everyone has worth to her.

8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    It's sad to see that Cassie has such a fractured non-relationship to Nagina's family -- makes sense, given how they lost her and what standoffish types some of them are a clone could seem like a sick joke and/or attempted replacement. But it's sad all the same. She's basically this woman's sister and even seems to have some trace of her memories, at least subconsciously.

:p Those two are as bad as each other, which is saying something.

Zev, no... [face_laugh]

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: The SW jokes are from the Reader´s Digest website.

@earlybird-obi-wan: Usually, I have so much drama going on around me that I forget how to laugh and smile.

@DarthUncle: Straight to the point as usual. Let me check if it´s time to wake you, Sleeping Beauty! You deserve at least 2 cookies and a game of cards for your thoughtful answers here!

@Kahara: Your feedback is most welcome and does me good during a week were I was pushed to my limits more than once. Cassie has her enemies as much as Nagina had in her time. Not everybody loves you and not everybody cares for you. This is life. It´s always up to yourself how to deal with dislikes or social coldness.

Anyway, it is always fun writing Orson & Alex. How they try to team up together for a little girl that they both love & both want to see flourish under their wings.

As for Zev. He can be quite a clown at times.

Okay, folk. Get buckled up! @Cowgirl Jedi 1701, too. Here comes the 1st bit of of the next chapter:

(Still Chapter 13!)

Zevulon frowns at the user manual. “How is any soldier supposed to understand this big heap of bantha poodoo?” he mutters. “I mean this makes no bleeping sense.”

I look at the tent poles and the large canvas, which are entangled into something that might be a construction straight from the Coruscant Intergalactic Art Gallery. “Abstract art,” I beam, being sure Mitth'raw'nuruodo would approve of it.

“The Sand People would laugh at us,” complains my friend, not really listening. He looks exhausted. “They erect tents that can withhold any sand storm.”

Unfortunately, we have no Tusken at hand. But we know one of the best architects and engineers of the Empire. Again, unfortunately, Daddy is busy entertaining our other two guests. Something tells me we should not disturb them. They seem to discuss some serious matters. Judging by their faces it is not light chitchat.

“Let's try again, Zev,” I suggest with an encouraging smile. “I mean how much worse can it get?”

His heart-shaped face darkens. “We might screw this one up mightily.”

“Are you sure we need a screwdriver?” I frown. “Let me check!”

I reach out for the manual, but he is not willing to depart from it.

“Oh, rainbow.” My friend ruffles my hair. “You are really something.”

“What?”

He just laughs and laughs.

“Honestly, I don't get it,” I say as dignified as I can.

Zevulon giggles on. “Me neither. But does it matter? Just wading through this bantha poodoo with you is fun.”

The manual flies through the air.

“Hey!” I protest, while I see it land in the soft Chandrilan grass.

“As long as we are in it together, all is fine,” my friend assures me. “But let us have a break now.”

“Finish your task, soldiers!” his father calls out to us, holding on to a glass of Corellian cider. “No tent, no food!”

My friend makes a face. “Gah!”

Perhaps now is the right time to ask a question that has been on my mind for a while. “Does your dad really want you to enlist with COMPNOR?”

“I fear so. With one of their sub-adult groups.” Zevulon starts kicking against the apple tree closest to him. “He is obsessed by it.”

“But are you not happy to serve our Empire?” I give to consider.

“There are better things to do than to play war games. For example having the summer of my life. Preferably with you, rainbow. And not with some cadets crawling through the mud, being shouted at by a drill instructor.”

I remember this morning's training with Uncle Alex. “Good point,” I mumble, blushing slightly.

“Before I met you I thought all girls would be boring. But you are quite something.”

Now I blush even more.

In the end my godfather saunters over to us and helps us to erect the tent. The three of us put it right in the middle of the apple orchard.

“Hum, not bad,” Uncle Alex muses, while he lies inside and wiggles his large feet. “Perhaps I'll skip sabacc altogether and hang out with you guys instead.”

“Won't Daddy be upset?” I wonder.

“Who cares?”

Zevulon is deep scarlet, but he manages to say, “Me, for I and the girl have plans for tonight.”

“Really?” My godfather is up on his feet and out of the tent in no time. “What plans?”

“Erm, the usual.”

He gives my friend a glare that he might have usually in stock for a suspect. “Enlighten me!”

Zevulon stares at his own boots, deep crimson. “Like watching the stars together, telling each other spooky monster stories.”

Uncle Alex' eyes sparkle. “I was a bit worried for a moment, but then again you are not in your teens… yet.”

“Sir!” my friend thunders. “I am so not my Cousin Izzy. And I would never get Cassandra in trouble. I swear.”

“From now on you will be my second most favourite kid in the galaxy.” Uncle Alex pats Zevulon's back and marches off again.

I am confused. “What was this about?”

My friend draws me closer and whispers into my right ear. “Izzy made a girl pregnant. An admiral's daughter. This is what they talk about.”

I make a mental note to ask Daddy where exactly the babies come from. And why he did not make my mother pregnant with me.

Right after dinner, another generous barbie done by Daddy as our pit master again, there is a real campfire just for us kids. Uncle Alex brings us something that is called marshmallows and we can roast them on long wooden sticks.

Later on, around midnight, we walk up the little hill and look down at the grown-ups.

Zevulon has a huge woollen blanket with him and wraps us in with it. Together we gaze into the sparkling night sky.

Somewhere out there – hopefully on Coruscant – are my dark prince and my Chiss friend. And our beloved Emperor, Sheev Palpatine.

I dare to bring the latter up.

“They say he seldom leaves the palace and it is almost impossible to get an audience with him,” my friend tells me, while my head leans against his shoulder. “The betrayal of the Jedi has changed him a lot. He used to be a kind elderly gentleman.”

“And now?” I ask, almost choking with anxiety.

“I have no clue. But those who know him since years, such as Bail Prestor Organa of Alderaan or Mon Mothma of Chandrila, are not very happy with him any more.”

I keep looking into the starry sky, being worried for our ruler. Old people need to know that they are loved and cherished. Since we are here Gramps is very smiley each time he looks at me and I can see the love in his eyes. Perhaps this is what Sheev Palpatine needs very badly: love.

“There also has been an, um, plot by a high ranking officer a couple of years ago.” Even though Daddy, Uncle Alex and his parents are more than two hundred metres away from us, my friend starts to whisper. “Somebody called Gentis managed to bring up a lot of young cadets against old Palpatine. But you don't have it from me, of course.”

“Of course,” I assure him, knowing how tight-lipped my godfather can be about classified information. “But what happened?”

“They blew up a lot of buildings on Coruscant that evening, mostly military ones.”

“Was anybody hurt?” I throw in.

“Ugh, yeah?”

That makes me sad.

“But the strangest thing is, on the public channels they blamed a guy called Saw Gerrera.”

That name rings a bell. “He killed the mother of Jyn Erso,” I pipe up.

“He is a frecking terrorist, that's what he is,” comments Daddy darkly, clinging on to two mugs.

His sudden appearance startles us both.

“Just checking my front lines,” smiles Daddy.

“But we are not at war with the Anil property, sir!” Zevulon protests.

“That is for me to know and for you to wonder about, Cadet Veers.”

“Daddy,” I pout. “I am having a play date and you are interrupting with war games.”

Daddy goes down in front of me. “Forgive me my insolence!”

“Perhaps!”

His grin is young and boyish, making the hard lines in his face softer. “I did not mean to discuss terrorists or our dreadful neighbours.”

“Then don't!” I state regally and take one of the mugs from him.

Daddy remains sitting on his heels, bathing me in his glance. The love that radiates from him is overwhelming as usual. But underneath I detect the hate he feels for Saw Gerrera. There is also his nagging worry about the Anil bunch, every single one of them.

“We already took position, Daddy.” I try to sound convincing and positive. “Nobody will harm you tonight.”

“I fear for your well-being, little soldier,” he sighs.

“With all due respect, sir, not on my watch,” my friend throws in.

“Hey, Orson, leave them kids alone!” shouts Zevulon's father. “Or we have our sabacc tournament without you.”

“Coming!” he shouts back, but makes no move to get up.

“Daddy!” I stress.

“As you wish.” He hands the remaining mug over to my friend. “I rely on your survival, Cassie dear.”

“Then I will not disappoint you!” I say in a solemn tone of voice.

“You never do!” Daddy winks at me. “You exceed all expectations!”

I will give my best to keep it up.

It is the best night in the universe, even though Zevulon is a bit grumpy that I am not easy to scare with ghost stories. Nor do I mind space monsters that much. Most of them are just scary on the outside, but have a good heart. No matter what the rest of the galaxy says.

“Normally people are afraid of a veermok,” my friend complains after the seventh attempt to frighten me.

I shrug. “Why should I?”

“Tsk!” Zevulon shakes his head in dismay. “You seem to love them all.”

“See, respect is important when you deal with a wild beast,” I argue.

“Respect,” he echoes.

“Yes, indeed.” Proudly, I lift up my chin. “You should show respect to any creature that crosses your way. The good, the bad, the ugly, we are all bound together by...”

“Don't mention the Force!” Zevulon interrupts me.

“Why not?” I sulk.

“After what the Jedi did to this galaxy, it is better to shut up about the Force altogether,” he warns me. “Especially grown-ups, who were involved in the Clone Wars, take a freak.”

Once more those Clone Wars. It seems to be like a battle of clowns really, because it made everybody rather silly in the aftermath. “The Force still exists,” I state. “Despite all of us and what history thinks of it.”

My friend puts his right arm around my shoulders. “Perhaps. But you should not mention it.”

“Why?” I challenge him.

“It's...,” he pauses. “Well, it's like giving somebody details of a dentist treatment you had to undergo.”

“But the Force does not hurt.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am.”

“And what about Vader?”

The sheer mentioning of that name fills me with happiness and deep awe. “What about him?”

“He badly hurts people all the time. Daddy did mention that he can kill somebody by only looking at him. And he does not even need to be in the same room to do that. He can be light years away.”

I blink at him like a night bird being caught in a beam of light.

Why would somebody abuse the Force in a way like that?

“Now, I have frightened you,” Zevulon says, but does not sound triumphant. His fingers squeeze my shoulder blades. “Hey, I think you should not be afraid of the Dark Lord. I bet he leaves nice girls like you alone.”

I remain quiet.

“You are not a troublemaker, right?” He kisses my left cheek. “It is usually the troublemakers that Vader is after and that Daddy smashes with his vehicles.”

Until now I had not been aware that people with a different opinion get killed. I thought they would be kindly corrected or nicely reminded of their tasks. But Imperial Law has nothing to do with the set of household rules that Daddy and Uncle Alex have come up with.

“Are you okay, rainbow?”

The worry in my friend's voice is palpable.

“Just a bit cold,” I say. “That is all.”

The cold, I feel, does not come from the outside, but from deep within me.

“Let us better ask for a second blanket!” suggests Zevulon.

And I will need a second skin. To be tougher and less vulnerable. I need to be strong for Daddy. If something bad ever happens to me, he would not forgive himself. That Nagina already died on him. But I won't. He cannot bear to lose another beloved person.

(Still Chapter 13!)

DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] and =D= A fun and delightful bit of friendship-building between Cassie and Zev. @};-

DarthUncle, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  11. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Seconding @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, it's really nice to see the kids getting to just be kids for a little while here. :) Cassie and Zev are really adorable and I can only imagine what shape their poor camping tent ended up arranged in -- artistically done, I'm sure. :p

12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Pizza Hut! And so much more that me likey mucho.

13. DarthUncle

Mar 20, 2005
    Great adventure sleeping outside in a tent for these two; and of course neither of her daddy figures could stay away, they are soo protective :)

And you keep up her thinking about why/what the empire is and who the people ruling it are, and their relationships. I would think:
    was something Nagina could have thought. Though I suppose she did try that, and it didn't really change all that much for the better, and got her killed. So I hope Cassie doesn't, and I'd think Orson will be eager to make sure it won't, keeping her well away from ever meeting Sheev! [face_praying][face_thinking]

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Zev is a nice kid interacting with Cassie

15. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Because my husband asked me to be brave and not blue, I am updating tonight, now that I am slightly better and able to sit in front of a computer for a short while.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: They will be ... mega-spoiler ... be an item as the story continues.

@Kahara: Indeed together they can achieve great things: chaos, fun and a deep friendship.

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Thanks for being a keen follower of this story.

@DarthUncle: Let us hope that. And let us hope that others will carry on that torch after "Rouge One". And thanks for being so kind, sweet and brave. Plus strict when necessary. Not to panic right now is difficult.

@earlybird-obi-wan: You will see more of them soon. First I need to get better. And make okay that my husband will heal from that vicious infection, too. That needs a lot of faith and equilibrium from my side, because I can be quite a "Schwarzseher".

(Still Chapter 13!)

I wake up in the middle of the night, because a tall shape towers in front of the tent. Opening up to the Force I soon can tell that its not somebody that I have encountered before. And because I sense no danger, I decide to crawl outside.

Zevulon is a great hindrance, because he basically clings to me. Perhaps he mistakes me for his teddy bear.

“Let go!” I whisper. “I need to pee!”

“Yuck! Girl stuff,” he gurgles and finally releases me.

My friend is already vast asleep again, when I open the tent. His happy snoring tells me as much.

The night air is slightly cool, but still pleasant. The temperatures on Chandrila are fairly moderate.

Careful, I rise.

“Come!” says the stranger who is completely covered in a Mandalorian armour. “Walk with me.”

His gloved fingers close around mine, their pressure neutral.

We slowly make our way downhill and I never let go of the hand.

There is something familiar about this cool and aloof touch. It feels to me as if we have walked this path before.

I am completely bewildered.

For orientation I gaze up into the Chandrilan night sky.

Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Such an ominous warning at the end of such a fun time with Zev! :eek: =D=

AzureAngel2, Kahara and DarthUncle like this.
  17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    What the kriff, Fett? I thought..... I thought I was about to go off on you, but then I got it. Cassie is Nagina's clone. And the Anils raised Nagina. So it's really for everyone's own protection that she never meets them. That said, however, do you have to be such a butt about it? Although to be honest, it pretty much does take a death threat to break her kind of stubbornness. And even that isn't always 100% effective. But you're still being kind of a butt about it. Just saying.

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    He has to do that I suppose

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha : Could not help myself there! Not everything in Cassandra´s life is about sunshine.

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Cassandra can not befriend with everybody. Like Nagina. There need to be foes and harsh critics. Such is life.

@earlybird-obi-wan: Indeed he had from my point of view.

Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting as usual. Ny has helped me to have much in stock for you for the next updates, because in the 2nd week of my illness I was able to gather enough brain cell activity together to express myself in a written text. In a language that is not my native tounge: German.

Stellt euch alle mal vor ihr müsstet dass alles in Deutsch lesen! Ha, ha! ;)

Of in het Nederlands. Leuk, hé? :p

If it was in Dutch, my husband @DarthUncle and the bird could be my only readers. :D

See you all in the weekend for the next update!

20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @DarthUncle, @Kahara, @earlybird-obi-wan, @Nehru_Amidala & @Cowgirl Jedi 170. This is the last bit of the chapter at hand:

(Still Chapter 13!)

I stare at the Mandalorian warrior before me. But there is no fear in my heart, I am just upset. “Usually, I do as I am told. Especially when my dad asks something of me.” More disappointment floods me. “But you come here in the middle of the night for very little reasons and make threats?”

“A promise,” he corrects me.

I keep my eyes free of tears. This is not the right moment to cry and would not achieve anything. “It was already overly clear to me that I was not to upset Mistress Anil. You wasted your time and mine tonight.”

“How?”

I put my hand on my hips. “By making up bantha poodoo stories about killing people.” I sneer at him. “Perhaps you would like to gun down my dad, Uncle Alex or Mister Veers. They have many enemies. But you would not dare to harm Zev or his mom. Your own code of honour forbids that.”

“Try me!”

I am not impressed, just upset. “And if you really care for Mistress Anil, and my feelings tell me that you do, then you will certainly not harm the man she visits with flowers at least once a month.”

“Perhaps there is something wrong with your feelings, child,” he suggests to me.

“There is something wrong with you, sir, when you sneak around in the middle of the night and try to frighten little girls. Any Veermok would be more polite.”

“Strange, that you would bring up the heraldic animal of House Palpatine.”

As dignified as I can, I walk away. I have enough of this person.

Of course, I stumble and fall, but I struggle to get up again. Just to hit the ground once more.

The Mandalorian warrior makes no move to help me.

“Freeze!” Uncle Alex bellows and I do. “I'll get this!”

Without turning around I know that he zooms straight towards the stranger, his anger leaving a red track behind on my retina.

Their voices are low, but they clash together like stones. More sparks of emotion fly through the air, making me dizzy.

All this anger for nothing. Grown-ups really know how to waste their time.

Not much later, I feel the supportive arm of my godfather around my waist again.

“Was this a contract killer send by Mister Draven?” I ask, my voice shivering.

“He would only send himself, believe me,” Uncle Alex bites out. “Drav has too big trust issues.”

“Like Daddy?”

Out of the sudden, my feet have no ground contact any more and I am crushed against my godfather's chest. “Listen, Cassandra, your father must never know that Mister Fett was here tonight! He is paranoid enough already.”

If lying will save my poor father from more anger, stress and heartbreak, I will do whatever Uncle Alex asks of me.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Fett is polite to her

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    If I recall correctly, wasn't Boba Fett one of the Anil family of foster kids? And if I do remember that right, I think little Cassie may have just won his loyalty, even if he won't admit it. Because I swear, it seems as though Cassie becomes more like grown-up Nagina almost with every post!

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cassandra is outspoken and unfazed by fierce Mandos :D :D

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Yepp, in his own "charming" way he is polite.

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Nope, Fett never was part of the Anil foster family. Even though Nagina battle-adopted him the Mandalorian way after his father´s death on Geonosis.

And yes, he is somewhat impressed by Cassandra, but he cannot admit that. Can he now? Nay!

As for becoming Nagina, there will be some differences, because Orson raised her to be his. Nurture against nature. The old pedagogical question.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: There are other things that she fears. We will learn about those fears in time. But she is not perfect. Nobody really is.

@DarthUncle: Your excuse for missing an update is that you took care of me while I was ill & now you are ill. Poor darling!

Now, the belated weekend update:

"And death shall have no dominion", Chapter 14:

“Listen, child!” says the stranger after a while and comes to a complete standstill. “You don't know me and I have no wish to get acquainted with you any further. This is as close as this ever gets.”

All I sense is calm resolve.

“What can I do for you, sir?” I inquire.

He lets go of my hand and I feel bereft somehow. “About two metres from here the Anil property starts. You will not cross this line. Ever.”

Even though it is a lethal warning the stranger makes it sound like a simple fact.

“I will know if you disobeyed our deal, child.”

I put my chin up, mortified. “I did not even know we have a deal.”

“It is simple really.” His voice stays flat and emotionless. It is not only the voice modulator of his helmet doing that. His entire attitude towards me is composed. “If you fail to keep away from your grandfather's neighbours, I will kill everybody that you ever cared for and make you watch their slow deaths.”

I stare at the Mandalorian warrior before me. But there is no fear in my heart, I am just upset. “Usually, I do as I am told. Especially when my dad asks something of me.” More disappointment floods me. “But you come here in the middle of the night for very little reasons and make threats?”

“A promise,” he corrects me.

I keep my eyes free of tears. This is not the right moment to cry and would not achieve anything. “It was already overly clear to me that I was not to upset Mistress Anil. You wasted your time and mine tonight.”

“How?”

I put my hand on my hips. “By making up bantha poodoo stories about killing people.” I sneer at him. “Perhaps you would like to gun down Daddy, Uncle Alex or Mister Veers. They have many enemies. But you would not dare to harm Zev or his mom. Your own code of honour forbids that.”

“Try me!”

I am not impressed, just upset. “And if you really care for Mistress Anil, and my feelings tell me that you do, then you will certainly not harm the man she visits with flowers at least once a month.”

“Perhaps there is something wrong with your feelings, child,” he suggests to me.

“There is something wrong with you, sir, when you sneak around in the middle of the night and try to frighten little girls. Any veermok would be more polite.”

“Strange, that you would bring up the heraldic animal of House Palpatine.”

“There are actually two more.” I roll my eyes. “You forgot the aiwha and the zalaaca.”

As dignified as I can, I walk away. I have enough of this person.

Of course, I stumble and fall, but I struggle to get up again. Just to hit the ground once more.

The Mandalorian warrior makes no move to help me.

“Freeze!” Uncle Alex bellows and I do. “I'll get this!”

Without turning around I know that he zooms straight towards the stranger, his anger leaving a red track behind on my retina.

Their voices are low, but they clash together like stones. More sparks of emotion fly through the air, making me dizzy.

All this anger for nothing. Grown-ups really know how to waste their time.

Not much later, I feel the supportive arm of my godfather around my waist again.

“Was this a contract killer send by Mister Draven?” I ask, my voice shivering.

“The old fart would only send himself, believe me,” Uncle Alex bites out. “Drav has too big trust issues.”

“Like Daddy?”

Out of the sudden, my feet have no ground contact any more and I am crushed against my godfather's chest. “Listen, Cassandra, your father must never know that Mister Fett was here tonight! He is paranoid enough already.”

If lying will save Daddy from more anger, stress and heartbreak, I will do whatever Uncle Alex asks of me.

We remain sitting on the hill for a while, the stars bright above us. Despite tonight's encounter I still believe that their light that is embedded in each of us. For we are all made of star dust. This I have recently learned from a HoloNet program for kids.

Humanoids share about ninety-seven percent of their atoms with this galaxy. Centuries ago, scientists found out that the elements of life – carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulphur – appear to be more prevalent toward the galaxy's centre. That so-called Deep Core is an area most densely-packed with stars, nebulae, and other anomalies. It is basically the primordial soup of life, left after the big bang.

How can any of us be a creature of pure evil when we are descendants of stars? With the light of the Force in us.

Besides, Mister Fett had not been a danger for me, just very conflicted. Trying to do the right thing. At least what he believes to be right.

I lean against Uncle Alex as if he is a rock in the waves. His civvies smell of hay and there is a faint odour of Corellian whiskey. Not the cheap stuff, but one of my father's special treats. When Imperial officers meet in private all seems to be about giving each other a nice time. But when they are on duty they are less friendly with one another. Then it is all about a certain pecking order, strict rules and the display of strength.

It makes me sad, really. The Imperial army with all her different branches should be about camaraderie, gallantry and honesty. Like in my story books.

This is why I do not get why the Jedi are supposed to be rotten villains who wanted Sheev Palpatine dead five years ago. They all were knights, following a noble course. One individual might fail and lose its way. But thousands of them?

My mind wanders off, enchanted by the nightly concert that the crickets give us.

On Coruscant there are never any crickets. Not even in the parks. Which is a pity. They make such wonderful, soothing sounds.

“That Mister Fett, is he any good at his job?” I ask at some point.

“If that brute wanted you dead, you properly would be. But he has an issue with children.” My godfather pauses, fishing for words. “Fact is, he thinks he owes Mistress Anil. See, Mister Fett is an orphan and she has been working for Child and Youth Protection since almost fifty years.”

Suddenly it dawns on me why everybody is so overprotective with our neighbour. “You should have told me right from the start!” I scold Uncle Alex, who basically backs off from me.

And I have kept wondering why Mistress Anil has so many criminals and crazy persons in her family.

My father can be rather mad when it comes to my safety. Why should it not work vice versa? All these foster children simply try to keep harm from the woman they love. Now everything makes sense.

“Grown-ups are complicated,” I sigh. “And Daddy's feud with the neighbours is almost epic.”

“Feud? Epic? I wonder where you learn such words,” he mutters good-natured. “You sound like a grown-up woman at times.”

“I read a lot, plus I have my therapy sessions with Doctor Robotham. Boy, can he talk funny. Like a lexicon.”

Uncle Alex nods to himself. “Yeah, makes sense. You are around too many grown-ups. Glad that Max has a boy about your age. You really need that.”

I take all my courage together, because I need to get something off my chest right now that has nothing to do with Zevulon and my feelings for him. “I am sad that I have become part of Daddy's war, but glad at least that you are honest with me.” My voice is low, but I know that his ears pick up each word of mine anyway. “I will stay off the Anil property, okay?”

A shiver runs through Uncle Alex. “You have no clue how much your promise means to me.”

The next thing I feel is that he buries his big nose in my hair. And he cries a bit. Which is a rare occasion.

“You are a great kid.”

Not much later my godfather brings me back to Zev. But instead of returning to his two sabacc partners, he slides into the tent and scoops up beside me.

“I think your parcel is safe, Agent Kallus,” I assure him, being slightly unnerved in my sleeping bag now.

“Get to sleep, asset,” he yawns, immediately pulling me back into his arms. “This is my covert mission. Radio silence, please! I am going off-line.”

“Uncle Alex!” I scold him, to no avail. His grip intensifies by a fifty percent. “Really?”

“When the cake talks the little crumbs stay silent,” he utters in a sleepy, contented voice.

Sometimes he says the most ridiculous things in the universe. That he has in common with Daddy. This is why I love them both. Because they can be so sweet and funny at the same time. I wonder if Zevulon will be like them when he comes of age. Actually, I would not mind it very much. I like it when a person can make me smile.

But sometimes, I prefer the company of more serious individuals like my Chiss friend Mitth'raw'nuruodo, Doctor Robotham or my dark prince.

It takes Uncle Alex less than five minutes to enter dreamland. His arms start to weigh heavily on me.

Like a little snake I start to wind out of his embrace.

Lucky for me, he starts moving closer towards Zevulon, who just whispers, “Rainbow!”

Moments later they roll against one another and start to hug, but none of them wakes up.

I keep my giggles as low as I can.

Once out of the tent, I cannot help to cherish the night air. It never smells so clean on Coruscant. Neither at day time and certainly not at night.

I start walking through the little apple orchard.

Perhaps one day we can visit Gramps when the trees are in bloom. Or help him at harvest time.

I choose a random tree to lean against. “Hi!” I whisper. “Nice to make your acquaintance. My name is Cassandra.”

Its top branches move in answer.

We remain leaning against one another, the tree and me.

One of my fairy tale books has a story in it that gives me the impression that the apple indicates choice. Plus is useful for love and healing magic.

My fingers wander over the smooth bark.

I should heal the wounds of the Clone Wars with love, being the adopted daughter of an apple farmer's son.

Daddy and Mister Veers are so busy talking to one another, that they are startled when I announce from Uncle Alex seat, “Okay, how does Sabacc work?”

The men stare at me as if I would make a mess in the tidiest officer's club on Coruscant right now.

“Is this about me being a girl?” I sulk.

“It's more an age issue.”

That notion annoys me, because it's unfair to keep me away from this sabacc table just because of some age limit.

“Cassandra,” the special forces man argues. “Why would I teach you something that I would not show my own son, who is much older than you?”

“Because the third party will not be back.”

“Why?”

“Well, that is for me to know and for you to wonder about, gentlemen.”

Saying thus, I pick up the cards, suspiciously eyeing the stash of Imperial credits that my godfather has made in so far. It is a little fortune really. He must be very good at it.

Gleefully, Daddy rubs his hands together. “You would really play on for dear Alex? Instead of being a good girl, tucked up in bed where you belong at this time?”

I think of the hopelessly overcrowded tent and the possible fun around here in this barn. “Yepp,” I say with a nod.

Mister Veers grins. “She really comes after you, Orson. Feisty, inventive, adventurous and never quiet convinced that all the rules apply equally to her.”

For a brief instant Daddy looks troubled, but not for long. A grin shows up on his thin lips. “Whatever must be, must be, I suppose. Prepare for battle, little soldier.”

“Yes, sir!” I salute.

His smile turns beastly. “And we will not go gentle with you, just because you are six years old.”

“Six, really?” Zevulon's father looks surprised. “She sounds like a much older child.”

Daddy shrugs that off. “Goes with the family. See, I was highly-gifted, too.”

Even though it is sweet of him to say that, yet I can sense a slight nervousness in him. He has that all the time people ask about my age. Usually, he blames my mother not having done her best. Tonight he goes for a different strategy. Perhaps the alcohol makes Mister Veers forget that I am adopted.

“Strange though she has ginger hair, Orson.”

“Oh, that is hair dye. Cassie is a natural brunette, but she wanted to look like one of her fairy tale princesses. The Little Mermaid from Naboo.”

Daddy threw in that bait a little too quickly, but the other Imperial officer falls for it nevertheless.

“Now, Max, can we get playing again?” he inquires with a stern look. “Or do you wait for dawn? Or even that my daughter has her natural hair colour back again?”

(To be continued!)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Alex is candid and amusing and LOL! Cassandra got into the sabacc game. [face_mischief] =D=

AzureAngel2 likes this.