main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph And now for something completely different: Official MONTY PYTHON Fanclub

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Nov 7, 2005.

1. jedi_panther_fan

jedi_panther_fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I heavily suggest the box set of the TV series. It has some great live skits from the Hollywood Bowl as well.

2. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have Live at the Hollywood Bowl....it's really good....They were great live. I saw Eric Idle at the Paramount Theater in 2000.

4. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Romani Eunt Domum

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/brghtsd.mp3

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Hollywood Bowl is excellent, like a rock concert where the troupe play their "Greatest Skits".

The best movie is Life of Brian, undoubtably. And there are some wonderful bits in the Flying Circus series' - though some has dated, but not too much, considering.

John Cleese is touring here (New Zealand) for 2 months at present doing a one-man standup type show on his life. Looks brilliant, but alas, tickets sold out quickly at a stage where I didn't have any funds to put towards such a luxury. :( He's kind of testing it out in NZ before taking it to the world.
    Cleese Solo Show

Legendary UK comic John Cleese - star of Monty Python and Fawlty Towers ? brings his first solo tour to New Zealand in November and December 2005.

Cleese, a force behind some of the most groundbreaking comedy of the 20th century, will appear live on stage in his brand new show entitled John Cleese ? His Life, Times and Current Medical Problems.

Asked to describe the show for his fans in New Zealand, Cleese enthused ?It?s a one-man show with several people in it, which pushes the envelope of acceptable behaviour in new and disgusting ways.?

In 1998 Cleese won a British Academy Award for Best Actor in A Fish Called Wanda.

He is loved the world over for his comedic antics in this and other cult films such as Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python?s The Meaning of Life, The Life of Brian and Fierce Creatures; children?s films Harry Potter and The Philosopher?s Stone and Shrek 2; and the ever memorable television series Fawlty Towers.

Cleese is looking forward to performing live for his fans and is currently developing his highly anticipated new show.

?I?m heading to New York to meet with the ultra-famous William Goldman, who?s going to help me shape this new show I am bringing to New Zealand at the end of the year,? said Cleese.

?My ever-wicked daughter Camilla is helping with the writing and my great friend Bille Brown from Australia is helping with everything, plus he will be directing. Also, my wonderful assistant Garry is coming up with many unwelcome ideas, as is his wife, Alyce Faye? Cleese added.
    Guess I'll have to wait for the inevitable DVD...

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I hope he brings that show to the US :D

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I actually have the video of John Cleese on Graham's funeral, where he says the F-word. :D It's so hilarious, all these people roaring with laughter - on a funeral! [face_laugh]

9. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Could you post a transcript? I've never seen it. (minus the f-word, of course. Family friendly etc etc)

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    OK, I'll try. It's quite a bad quality... [face_tired]

11. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  12. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    [frenchaccent] It is only wafer thin! [/frenchaccent]

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    All right, here's that Cleese's speech at Chapman's funeral.

Note to the mods: I am aware that the TOS says to star out all the letters of the swear words, but I felt that in order to preserve the sense (and joke) of this I kept the first letters. If it's still an offense against the TOS, please feel free to star them all out.

Graham Chapman, co-author of the Parrot sketch, is no more. He has ceased to be. Bereft of life, he rests in peace. He's kicked the bucket, hopped the ........ (couldn't make this out), hit the dust, snuffed it, breezed his last, and gone to be the great head of life entertainment in the sky. And I guess that we're all thinking how sad it is for the man of such talent, of such capability for kindness, of such unusual intelligence, should now so suddenly be spirited away at the age of only fourty-eight, before he'd achieved many of the things which he was capable and before he'd had enough fun.

Well, I feel that I should say nonsense. Good riddance to him, the free-loading b******, I hope he's fried. (laughter from the audience) And the reason I feel I should say this, is he would never forgive me if I didn't, if I threw, threw away this glorious opportunity to shock you all on his behalf. (more laughter from the audience) Anything for him, but mindless good taste.

I could hear him whispering in my ear last night as I was writing this: "All right, Cleese," he was saying, "you're very proud of being the very first person ever to say **** on British television. If this service is really for me, just for starters, I want you to become the first person ever, at the British Memorial service, to say **** (great laughter and applause)

Brilliant, isn't he? :p

14. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

That he is.

15. Raja_Io

Raja_Io Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    I want to have such funeral [face_praying]

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'll try and upload the video somewhere, so you can all see. :)

17. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001

[face_laugh]

That is brilliant!!! Thanks for posting that, Mar17swgirl.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    :D You're welcome.

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Me and a couple of friends have adapted a number of monty python skits for summer camp camperfires. Spanish Inquisition, How Not to be Seen, Marching Up and down the square, dead parrot, the monks and a couple others.

20. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Oh man that is brilliant! Please upload the video!!

Monty Python rules

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I found it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=fUYfkmgaGC4

22. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    That was fantastic. I don't know whether my tears were tears of laughter or tears of sadness . . . :_|

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I know, it's really touching....Cleese did a really good job of keeping his composure, but you can tell if you look in his eyes, that he was really emotional... He's awesome :)

24. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    That, he is. He's always been my favourite Python. Btw, check out this poll in Census. :)

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Thank you so much for the link, harpuah! :D I only have the first part of it on my computer, the part with Cleese. Thanks again!

Um, is there any chance I can download it somehow from that link? [face_thinking]

EDIT: As I watch it again and read what's written beneath it, I realise that I mistranslated a couple of words... [face_blush] Oh well, English is not my first language, so there... :p