main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

And There Were 'Ships...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Smuggler_Shidakis, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Yeah, if I were you I would definitely read all of them. Some may be a bit boring but you might get confused if you skip the "bad ones".

And I recommend reading VP and SBS even though Chewie and Anakin are killed in them, they're very important to the NJO.

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Back on topic, please.

And for those that apparently don't know, I'm K/J. :p

Dana

3. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    I'd never have guessed, Dana. :p

Hm. What's everyone's opinions on Jacen/Tahiri? I don't like it- I always saw them in a more brother and sister relationship.

4. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Yeah, definitely brother/sister with those two. I just can't imagine them ever getting together, I really don't think they have that kind of relationship.

Maybe that's just because I'm such a J/TK-er and A/T-er (and, to a lesser extent, Jg/T-er)...but I really can't see Jacen/Tahiri.

5. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Thanks for posting the list, djcati. [:D]

I think Anakin and Tahiri makes more sense. You all are right, J/T have too much of a brother/sister type relationship.

6. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Is it sad that I know the whole NJO list and authors by heart?

A/T made the most sense out of any SW ship ever (except maybe Han/Leia). I mean, even when they were kids they were flirting! Though they didn't really know it. . .haha.

But then, they're still both kids in the NJO. Even during SbS. ;_;

7. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    Anakin and Tahiri were so perfect together, one of the reasons I have such a hard time letting go and becoming a Jg/T shipper.

8. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    No, I really can't see J/T. I mean...he's the older brother of her dead boyfriend. I just don't think it's something either of themcould do without being consumed by guilt.

9. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Jacen/Tahiri has always frightened me a little. As it's been said before, they're more like brother and sister. And I don't see how Tahiri can move from someone like Anakin to someone like Jacen who is the COMPLETE opposite of Anakin - unless she just likes anyone. Or she likes him cause he's a Solo. Heh~ All they have to go on is 'the kiss from Anakin' as well.

Poor Anakin. I'm such an A/T shipper.

As for Jacen, I'm J/TK all the way.

And Jaina... well, I guess it depends on the circumstances. Hehe~

But Zekk/Alema is quite interesting. I had a scene that was slight Z/A in a story of mine -- and I had a lot of fun writing it for some reason. O_O <3 Z/A

Tehehehe. XD

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Jacen and Tahiri...

That's even more wrong than Jaina and captain cardboard...

Jacen and Tenel Ka are destined to be together. Even in the utter badness of the NJO, they couldn't be denied. Even Danni Quee couldn't sway that.

Really bad writing, on the other hand...

11. Enelya_Sol

Enelya_Sol Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2004
    I don't really know much about Jacen/Tahiri. I guess it just seems sort of weird to me cause Tahiri was with Anakin, and then moving on to his older brother.... o_O

Ah well, to each there own. As for me, I'll probably always ship J/Z and J/TK even if they don't exist in canon just cause they were my first 'ships ever, and sort of hard to get rid of, especially J/Z.

I am starting to warm up to J/K slightly. But the age difference still sort of bothers me. I do really like the idea of Jag/Tahiri though. I don't know why, but it just seems sort of cute and fitting.

12. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I thought I was a J/J person, but then Kyp came along (mostly due to Gina) and so now I am a full fledged K/Jer! :)

~~Off Topic~~

Since Dana is in here I thought I might ask if there was a thread where people go to discuss what they do and do not like about certain authors. (If so, please point me in the right direction. And if not, could I possibly start one?)

~~Resume Topic~~

13. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    I thought I was a J/J person, but then Kyp came along (mostly due to Gina) and so now I am a full fledged K/Jer!

:D

14. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    I sort of like Jg/T, but just as an alternative.

Meg...[face_devil]

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Since Dana is in here I thought I might ask if there was a thread where people go to discuss what they do and do not like about certain authors. (If so, please point me in the right direction. And if not, could I possibly start one?)

Not in Fan Fiction, no, to both questions. Sorry.

Dana

16. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I love Jag/Tahiri, but I also love Anakin/Tahiri . . . basically, in non-AU stories, since Anakin's dead, it doesn't make sense to leave Tahiri all lonely and stuff . . .and since Jaina belongs with Kyp (yes, I'm a K/J-er), it doesn't make sense to have a lonely Jaggie either.

So . . . Jag/Tahiri!!!

I don't like Jacen/Tahiri, really - the whole brother/sister thing I'm sure.

~Abby~

17. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Okay, we know that nearly everyone's got a side: J/J, K/J, J/Z, or somewhere in between. And we know that sometimes, people are prone to getting a little nasty about the different 'ships.

The purpose of this thread: Why do you like your favorite ship? Is it because Kyp is so vapin' cool? Or maybe because Zekk was Jaina's childhood sweetheart? Perhaps because Jag is her boyfriend in canon?

State your opinion, and please, be nice about it.

Well I suppose I have lurked here long enough. Interesting thread idea, Smuggler_Shidakis, to give everyone a chance to expound the merits of their fave. I?ve been a bit busy up until now, but I?ve finally gotten a chance to sit down and write up a few thoughts. Most importantly I wanted to address the many responses aimed more at tearing down the other ?ships fave guy rather than actually answering the question you posed, and too address some of the points made for certain pairings. (Of course I have to admit the arguments for say Corran and Wes were well made :p )

First off I?d like to point out that while I certainly prefer Jaina/Jag of all the Jaina ?ships, I am not opposed in the least to reading any of the others ? so long as it is written well, that ?ship can be my fave ?ship of the moment. I do believe that it is possible to have Jaina end up with any of these fine gentlemen, but to make it a good story it must be believable, not just because the writer wants it that way. Too, I?ve found in my personal experience that all people are seeking/prefer a different type of love and we chose our hero for Jaina accordingly. And usually this love is based upon where that person is in their life.

Take Zekk for instance. He is the symbol for all of us who want to believe that there is one true love we meet and fall head over heels for - and it lasts until the end of time. For an older and more cynical person (as I am) that type of love seems more of a young person?s fantasy but no less valid. We?ve all wanted that type of love at some point in our lives. I do know childhood sweethearts who are still to this day married, twenty years later. For that reason I think Jaina and Zekk can be written well and would be a beautiful story to read.

The problem is that those stories in my opinion have to break off as an AU early in the NJO (or before even) to be plausible. Many Zekk fans were broken-hearted when he walked out on Jaina in Dark Journey but in my eyes (for his characterization) the author could have done little else. If read from his introduction into the Star Wars EU up to the point Zekk walked away from Jaina in her hour of need, it is clear why he had to do just that. Zekk had already seen the dark side; he also was madly in love with Jaina. I think he knew that to have stayed would have taken him down a path where he had once been and could never again go. As seen by his actions in Star by Star, Zekk was the one who truly feared Lomi or most importantly all she represented. He had no desire to see that temptation ever again, and he knew all too well the wrongness of actions taken for dark purposes.

Once Zekk walked out on Jaina, I saw it as a point of no return. He chose his soul over her. Personally, I think it was a brilliant move and showed Zekk as having grown into an admirable young man, who hopefully later will become an admirable Jedi within the EU. And while I don?t think it?s impossible to write a Jaina/Zekk post-DJ, I think it would be a tricky dance to maintain what the EU authors did for Zekk. Still as a foil to Jaina, the poor kid, who became a Jedi, together with Jedi princess, I think they can make a great pairing.

Then we have Kyp. And what?s the biggest argument against Kyp? Age. Again there is a whole group of women who have had relationships with older men (raises hand) and usually at an impressionable age (raises hand again) so I can most definitely see Jaina finding Kyp attractive during DJ ? and vice versa. This is common among those women seeking to assert themselves as adults yet l

18. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    Wow, I have to give you major Kudos for that one. That came the closest to changing my mind as anything. (But it still didn't work...:p)

As one of the few J/J authors I'll still read, I respect your opinion.

I just think K/J has more to it. I don't hold to the CC bit. Jag can be quite the little inflamist when he chooses to. [face_mischief]

And, good grief, how did you manage to type that out?!

19. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Flowerbee: Wow, I have to give you major Kudos for that one. That came the closest to changing my mind as anything. (But it still didn't work... )

You miss the point though. It's not about changing minds; it's about developing the characters and their relationships in a well thought out and credible manner. I didn't post what I did to "change minds". As a writer I feel that simply because someone likes Jag or Kyp or Zekk isn't good enough reason to pair him with Jaina. In fact, given the opportunity and time I feel I could write any of these 'ships. But since time is my foe I tend to stick with my fave. I will, however, as I said before, read any 'ship so long as it's done well and plausibly.

20. flowerbee

Apr 29, 2004
    And I did understand that. THat was my odd sense of humor that no one will ever get except for me. :)

21. Smuggler_Shidakis

Jul 26, 2004
    I get it, Sarah. :p

Wow, TKeira_Lea, those are some awesome arguments!

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, nice to meet you, TKeira_Lea. Hmm...interesting arguments for the good captain made of cardboard. I noticed two of those anti-Jag quotes were mine.

For an older and more cynical person (as I am) that type of love seems more of a young person?s fantasy but no less valid.

Sorry, but I've got you beat in the cynicism department hands down. And I still prefer Zekk over Jag. Why? He gives me hope, hope that one day I'll find my soul mate. He's me, pining over his own lost love. And dammit, I'm rooting for him all the way.

The problem is that those stories in my opinion have to break off as an AU early in the NJO (or before even) to be plausible.

Aren't most fics AUs of the main fiction? And about the NJO...No. I won't go there.

Your arguments against Kyp are pretty much what I feel as well. He's too old and, at least in the NJO, too much of an arrogant and manipulative jerk.

And now for Jagged Fel...the captain of the cardboard.

The man has no personality. Zekk could outfly him on his worst day. He's a physical clone of Zekk with two exceptions. Jag has shorter hair and that scar. And there is no way you can tell me Zekk doesn't have a scar somewhere on his body.

Jaina and Zekk are the mirror images of Han and Leia. The women are both higher born compared to the men, and thus make a better couple.

To those who say Jagged Fel was only created to be Jaina?s boyfriend, I say possibly...definitely Danni,

Danni? Danni Quee? Who's girlfriend is she? And as for the rest, Mara can stand independent of Luke just fine. Tahiri's been going on without Anakin for a bit. Those women(with the exception of Danni) don't need their significant others to actually...exist. Jag does.

Now go out and prove it, make us believe.

I already did and will continue to. Jaina and Zekk forever!

23. Abby

Abby Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    a Jedi Knight perhaps. At that point, I have no problem with age differences between two halves of a couple because only then are they truly on equivalent footing.

though I hesitate to argue for the sake of arguing, Jaina is a Knight . . .

That said, what you said about K/J does make sense. For instance, I'm sure you'd agree that say, after the war, K/J would be a lot more possible/plausible than during it, right?

I do think, though, that it could work during the war, if written well. For instance, what if starting a relationship with Kyp was what she needed to help her get back on track? I'm not against Jag by any means (I like Jag a lot, actually, and enjoy writing him), but with Kyp being able to better understand what she has gone through, it could be possible that being with him would help rather than hinder her.

And I do think that some Han/Leia comparisons are valid. Both are strong-willed women, and both had experienced a lot in their early lives. They both dealt with great losses.

Leia didn't have a fall to the darkside to deal with, nor did she at the time have the role-confusion that Jaina experienced (Jedi-vs.-pilot-vs.-goddess-vs.-herself) during the war. I'm not saying that Leia didn't have a lot to deal with, but it does make sense that Jaina had a lot to figure out - which brings me back to my original idea that there is the possibility that Kyp might be able to help her figure things out.

Despite what he did at Sernpidal, by the time DJ, RD/RS came about, I think we can be certain that he would not attempt to influence her or be an "authority" - and after all of that, I'm sure Jaina would not have allowed it.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Now, having said that . . . I can also look at the J/J relationship as beneficial. Even being a K/J-er, I can see that the two of them may have needed each other during the war. The fact that I believe they won't last after is just my opinion and part of my K/J-ness.

I have one story currently active where Jag and Jaina were together for a good 5 years before K/J happened, and have remained friends. (and in my other, a K/J starting in Rebel Dream, Jag is a close friend to both of them) I think I may be babbling by this point, but while I'd prefer K/J, J/J isn't "horrible" or "wrong" (indeed it's canon)..

So, yeah . . . I guess the only thing I don't really go for is J/Z. I do see it as the childhood sweethearts thing, and despite being only 23, I too can be rather cynical. Yeah, it can happen, but given the circumstances . . .

Still, that's not to say that some years down the road (after the war, etc), their paths couldn't cross again . . .

Well, I wrote more than I'd intended, lol

~Abby~

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Very good arguments.

I'd just like to point out that Kyp was 16 in "Jedi Search" to Jaina's 2, making him 14 years older. The count of 16 years between them is a continuity error. Kyp was put into Kessel at 8, and was there for 8 years, making him 16 when he got out.

As for Jaina, she is 18 in "Rebirth", and turns 19 around the time of "Star By Star", and is 19 in "Dark Journey", "Rebel Dream", and "Rebel Stand". The place in DJ where it says she's 18 is, again, a continuity error because it states 19 in SBS, RD, and RS.

Dana

25. djcati

Mar 20, 2004
    Y'know, I think Danni was a great character before the FH trilogy. She was the smart geek who didn't have time/inclination for a relationship -- I thought that was brilliant. She was making a name for herself without a significant other and everything.

But then, you should know by now my position on the FH trilogy. . . *eyes it warily*

TKeira_Lea, you've got some pretty good points there. o_o; But just to be pernickety, I want to point out that Leia was only 18 in ANH, and Kyp's age in the JAT is debatable. He's either 16 or 18, depending on who you ask and what you read, so it's really not certain whether he's 14 or 16 years older than Jaina. *shrugs*

As for Jag...I think I agree with your points on him. Though I still feel he was created purely to be a love interest for Jaina (which yeah, you aren't denying, lol), he does have a personality. It's just because he's so reluctant to show any of it, and is so restrained and everything (most of the time). . .that a lot of people convince themselves it's not there. (Yeah -- mostly us K/J-ers, methinks. ;P )

But he can be an interesting character, depending on who's writing him and how they do it. Again, here is where my non-fanship of FH comes in. *cynical*

But, y'know -- Jaina/Wes = OTP!!"!!2121OMG

<3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.