main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT And They Lived Happily Ever After / (Kanan/ Hera AU) OTP Spring Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Raissa Baiard, May 2, 2018.

1. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but this has been on my to-read list for . . . well, a very long time, suffice to say. :p But that only makes me all the more happy that this last OTP challenge has given you the inspiration to finish this truly wonderful story - because I enjoyed catching up on every word of it! [face_love]

So
    ! To start at the top:

[face_love] [face_love]! Season 4 of Rebels, what Season 4? I am fully invested in this happy ending, instead. And that is a fact. [face_love]

Also, I love the image of the happy family - and Chopper, of course - getting together to do something special for Kanan and Hera. Kids will be kids, and each one of those messes was well earned and made in love. Literally, here. (Plus, Ronen being wrestled into his good tunic was particularly priceless!)

[face_love] [face_laugh]

I ADORE the juxtaposition of the kids' story and Hera's narration. She and Kanan definitely have a surprise on their hands, and at an, admittedly, difficult time in their lives. But . . . [face_mischief]

These few lines, in particular, really just reached out and grabbed me. One of my favorite things about Hera and Kanan's relationship is their ability to just be themselves with each other. They're not General and Jedi, or Space!mom and Space!dad, or fighting for the freedom of the galaxy - they're themselves; their best selves, even. Hera's first instinctive reaction - as a woman and a lover - was just so touching in how hopeful and vulnerable she let herself be for her love. Gorgeous. =D=

Gah, but my face is going to be stuck from smiling so much, yes siree it is!! [face_love]

Oh! Yes indeed the Force is humming in approval, I can well imagine. [face_love] [face_mischief]

Ha! Spot on reactions, all! [face_love] [face_laugh]

Oh my goodness, but I just about lost it here. Our Ezra is a brave one, but he's definitely not wrong. Pot, kettle, much, dear Kanan? :p

:eek: [face_rofl] EZRA!

Surrogate Mom Who Is Also a General
    voice, for the win! I love that description. :p

Whew, that's quite the tall order, isn't it? Especially at this point in the OT timeline. But, that just makes it all the more important that Hera and Kanan take the time to do this for themselves. And do it the way they want it to be done. You literally never know what tomorrow will bring.

Yes, THIS!!! Spot on exactly. [face_love]

I just adored Sabine the wedding planner! [face_love]

This was perfect! Of course Amilyn and Sabine would have lots to get on about. And I especially loved that Leia donated one of her dresses - especially with her having so little left of Alderaan, herself. It's a beautiful, touching gesture.

Point: Zeb! [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

Oh, but this was just so touching that it hurt my heart. What a beautiful way to give Hera a piece of her heritage and culture and home. By making a new start for their family, their home. This was just gorgeous. [face_love]

It really is! My sister is a sculptor, and she says that every sculpture she works on already knows what it is. She just has to free it from whatever medium she's working in. And that's so true! This was, also, a beautiful way to pay homage to Michelangelo's quote. [face_love]

[face_love] [face_love]

And THIS was perfect and fitting too. [face_love]

I feel like I am just throwing around 'love' emojis like confetti, here, but I just have to! I loved this too. :p

(And, I particularly love that Shulma isn't too far away from Zeb here. He just doesn't know it yet! [face_love])

Nice! I love any sort of Han and Hera interaction, or at the very lease pitting their ships against each other, and this definitely checked off that box for me. [face_love]

And with your gorgeous descriptions, I can agree with Hera here! Sabine really outdid herself, and it's especially fitting that her dress is such a labor of love, with bits and pieces from so many involved in its creation.

Reason number one, in a nutshell, while Kanan/Hera is a top tier ship. Mmm, but that's just the good Kanera stuff, right there. [face_love]

Oh! Of course it's just the orchids. :p [face_mischief] [face_love]

I loved this little moment with Cham - it's a continuation of his legacy, too, and I'm glad that he can add to Hera's joy. [face_love]

Oh, indeed the Force was more than humming! It had to be quite the melody to overhear, I can only imagine! [face_love] The entire ceremony was just gorgeous, and I had to stop myself from quoting the entire thing. Just . . . so many well thought out, stunning details really made this a rich treat to read and savor. Your time and effort really paid off for this scene - and the entire story as a result!

Congratulations at finishing this, at long last. I know it's not always the easiest thing to go back and tackle outstanding WIPs, but my when they're finished isn't it the best feeling?? And, of course, this was a fantastic response to the challenge. A true milestone for Kanan and Hera and everyone who loves them. [face_love]

=D=

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    We all wish!! Nicely done!

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Oh, what a beautiful wedding ceremony! Love what you did for the milestone OTP challenge[face_love]

4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Great scene, defenetly quite the milestone for these two. ;)

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I just want to say thank you all for the wonderful comments; I appreciate them very much [:D] Real Life is being quite Darth-y at the moment, and I haven’t had as much time or mental energy for fan fiction as I would like, but I want to let you know how much these responses have meant to me. I’ve had this short epilogue chapter for some time now and I hope you won’t mind if I post it now.

As always, thank you to @Findswoman for beta reading
    ———
    Lothal, 10 ABY

“…And they lived happily ever after,” Hera finished with a swish of flimsi as she closed the book. She reached over and squeezed Kanan’s hand. “And we did.”

“And we did,” Kanan agreed. It wasn’t an ending he could ever have ever foreseen. Not in those dark and hopeless days after Master Billaba had died on Kaller. Not in the time he’d spent with Janus Kasmir, learning how to survive by whatever means it took. Not in the aimless wandering years he’d been on his own, skipping from planet to planet and never getting involved. But even then, the Force had been guiding him on a path that led to Hera, and the moment they met was when happily ever after began. The reality of his and Hera’s love story might not have been a picture-perfect fairytale like the one the children had created, but it was beautiful in its own right.

“Thank you all; that was the best present your mother and I could have gotten.” He held out his arms to Ayelet and Jacen. The warmth of their love and happiness washed over him as they embraced him; Ronen stood up in Kanan’s lap and wiggled underneath his siblings’ arms to make sure he got his fair share of all this hugging. “But you know,” he told them, “That’s not really the end of the story.”

“It isn’t?” Ayelet was puzzled. ”The stories always end with a wedding! What else is left after that?”

Kanan smiled. “No, it was just the beginning. Because Jacen was born and then you and Ronen.” Their family had grown in unexpected ways, not just with the birth of their children but also with Zeb’s reunion with his long-lost wife, Shulma, Ezra’s marriage to Mara and Sabine’s to Maximus--and the birth of their children. He and Hera had hung beads for them on the family’s kalikori marking each new beginning. “So, you see, the story’s still unfolding every day.”

“Oh!” From the sound of Ayelet’s voice and the sudden spark in her Force sense, she liked that idea, and Kanan had a feeling that future volumes of Syndulla-Jarrus family history would soon be joining “The Wedding of Kanan and Hera” on their bookshelf. And Kanan thought he liked that idea as much as she did.

Ronen wriggled impatiently and tugged slightly on Kanan’s queue to get his attention. “Can we eat the noodles yet?” he begged with all the desperation of a toddler who hadn’t eaten in a full standard hour. “I’m hungry!”

“Me too, Ro.” Kanan scooped his son up and put him in his high chair. “Those noodles smell delicious.”

Jacen and Ayelet insisted on serving him and Hera, which they did with much clinking of cutlery and clanking of glasses--as well as a few mishaps with dripping sauce and spilled water (rectified by Chopper’s timely if cranky intervention). And as Kanan sampled his slightly scorched noodles, he was struck again by how domestic, how ordinary, how perfect it was to be here with the woman he loved and their children.

He couldn’t have asked for a better ever after than this.

….And they all lived happily ever after.
    +++

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  6. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Such a sweet, beautiful epilogue for a sweet, beautiful story! The warmth and love here just makes me smile.

I love this so much.

And this too. [face_love]

Thank you for sharing this beautiful fic! [:D]

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    EEEEEE! PERFECT WRAPUP IS PERFECT! [face_dancing] Oh yes, I agree with Kanan with all my heart here: this really is the perfect outcome for him, Hera, and their kids, and it’s truly as beautiful as any fairytale “ever after.” (Canon who? :p ) But he’s so right that the story really and truly is still ongoing—which, of course, I know that firsthand from your other amazing stories! :D And I hope you don’t mind if I engage in some extra SQUEEAGE for the mentions of Zebma, Marzra, and Maxbine and how they—and their kids!—all get beads on the kalikori, too! That is just such a beautiful touch, and there just is no more fitting way to celebrate the familyhood of the Spectres. I really love how past, present, and future all come together in such a wonderful way in this epilogue, between Kanan’s reflections on his past experiences, the Spectre family’s milestones, and of course hungry little Ro bringing everyone back to the here and now for a warm, cheerful family dinner! (And Chop will just have to deal with a few spills! :p ) Congratulations on bringing this beautiful story to completion—another Raissa triumph! =D=

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    It's an odd thing I've noticed dear, wonderfully talented @Raissa Baiard - when we need to write/read fanfictions the most for our own mental and emotional equilibrium, DRL won't let us. :rolleyes: :eek: Which makes this yummy even more precious!

the Force had been guiding him on a path that led to Hera, and the moment they met was when happily ever after began.
    The melting begins! :) [face_sigh]

He held out his arms to Ayelet and Jacen. The warmth of their love and happiness washed over him as they embraced him; Ronen stood up in Kanan’s lap and wiggled underneath his siblings’ arms to make sure he got his fair share of all this hugging.
    Oh, oh! This struck a chord because I'm a hugger, and I MISS IT! [face_laugh]

I love this definition of happy ever after. The story is still unfolding. Super-duper delicious!

:* ^:)^

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman like this.
  9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I have to echo the above comments that said that this perfect epilogue is perfect, because it really, truly is. [face_love]

I had such a giddy, stupid grin on my face throughout the entirety of this, but here in particularly. That really was only just the beginning, and their family - extended family of the heart included! - has just grown in leaps and bounds since then to tell even more stories following the quintessential fairy-tale wedding 'ending'. I too adored the touch of their kalikori having totems for each of their loved ones. Just gorgeous. [face_love]

Aw! You can't put it any better than that, can you? [face_love]

Thank you for sharing this beautiful end to such a beautiful story. I enjoyed every word. [face_love] =D=

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman like this.