main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Andor Episode 1.02 Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 20, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 2, 2022.
  1. 10

13.0%
  2. 9

30.4%
  3. 8

20.3%
  4. 7

18.8%
  5. 6

11.6%
  6. 5

2.9%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Admirably solid episode, and I liked how it expanded upon just how some people are subservient to the Empire out of necessity rather than true loyalty like Syril. The best scene here was Cassian's return home to Maarva. Another strong injection of stakes and implied history.

Can't say I loved the public transit that Luthen takes. It felt too Earth-like, and also felt weird for him to be on it after clearly parking far away from town.

7/10

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  2. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    He’s a terrific actor. I remember him from a UK show called Eastenders when he played a wife beater called Trevor. More recently, he popped up as the head miner in the brilliant ‘Chernobyl’ (also starring Skalsgard).

I love the pacing. Slow and moody is more than welcome.

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Right, Chernobyl! That’s why he was familiar. What an actor. I just love it when showrunners put a lot of thought into casting minor characters. Minor characters can sometimes make or break a show/ world. That Jedi on the run in OWK was such a bad actor that he almost ruined the beginning of that show for me. Thankfully he was gone quickly, and things improved.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Blobofat likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Grading poll is live.
    Have you watched "Episode 2" yet? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Did you not give a **** at all? Let us know.
    Click your grade and if you want, be a critic and let us know why!
    Note: This poll will close 1.5 weeks from now.​

5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    When Bix’s boyfriend goes to the pay phone-looking thing to rat on Cassian, there’s a really cool new alien species there. Blue with a long, thin face and these dread-like growths on its head. Just pointing that out to those complaining about there being only brown potato-headed aliens. Whatever that means.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED
    You have successfully muttered like an arthritic old man about people's opinions on aliens in this show in every possible thread.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think I liked this one more than the first one, just because the stakes seemed higher, with more and more people tracking Cassian.

The mining disaster flashback seemed part Stephen King and Indiana Jones.

8. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    You got the time-line wrong. Syril Karn could be General Hux's grandfather. This takes place 5 years BBY. General Hux shows up at least 30 years later.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It was early in the morning. My brain was moving slowly. Obviously I meant ancestor. :p

jasman likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If you watch the scene again, you'll notice that his ship tells him where to land, and that there's a public transport station close by. He then looks at that station, and its hoverbuses flying to and from it, with his binoculars. Then we see him on one of those buses.

12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    This episode was great! I loved all the characters I’m supposed to love and hated on all the one’s I’m supposed to hate on and I loved hating them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Cannot say that I enjoyed the Episode 2 as much as the other two, but it was certainly solid and a necessary transition to move the story forward. After all, it does a great job at setting up all the players on the chessboard, and introducing everyone who is vital to Cassian Andor's life. I had no idea that Fiona Shaw would be in this show, and boy what a pleasant surprise this was. Her presence alone improves every scene she is in.

And of course Timm is the douchebag of the story. An insecure sad little man who probably feels threatened by Cassian, and decides to turn him in. By the way, adding a few aliens here and there to make the galaxy look bigger is cool, but the fact that 95% of the humans who are not named Cassian or Bix have a British or Irish accent definitely shrinks the galaxy [face_laugh] I understand that this production took place in England, but still.

The worldbuilding continues in the same fashion and adds so much more to the Star Wars franchise. It's great that in these first 3 episodes we really haven't even seen a glimpse of the Empire yet, and that instead we explore a new faction. Don't really have much more to say, other than I loved all the flashback scenes even more than in Episode 1.

Things I liked:
    • Maarva Andor. Fiona Shaw is bringing it, and of course she would have.
    • The attention to detail. Luthen is careful as he arrives on Ferrix. He even parks the ship really far away from any dangerous area, and then proceeds to use public transportation. It brought me vibes of Kenobi on Geonosis.
    • Linus Mosk. What a character.
    • Cassian Andor. I did not like Cassian in Rogue One, in fact he was by far my least favorite Rogue. But here, I think he is a far more likeable persona.
    • The ending scene. The music picking up pace and intensity somehow made me feel I am watching a film in the 90s. That's always a good thing.
    • B2EMO. I love him.
    Things I did not like:
    • 29 minutes? No, thanks. I would almost rather get 10 episodes that would be 10 minutes longer each, than this.
    • Why did the Republic (or whatever it was) pilot get up and killed a kid in cold blood, no questions asked? Nonsensical decision, undefendable.
    • No lightsabers, No Force. This will be a constant, get used to it :p
    8/10

MercenaryAce and theorenwulf like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd like to take a moment to suggest that the Kenari up the dosage of whatever they coat their blow darts with. It took like twelve to take down one guy, and he was already disoriented. :)

[​IMG]

15. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    With so many good things in this show, it's difficult to find a favorite scene, but the introduction of Linus Mosk and his dialogue with Syril Karn was probably it for me. Both are so interesting, well written and acted... I get the feeling that Denise Gough´s character will bring a new level of urgency to their hunt and to the scenes we´ll get to see on the Imperial side. Can't wait!

16. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Yeah, who taught these kids how to fight? :p

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I fell asleep in the middle of the episode and had a good nap, so a solid 7/10

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Amusing.

19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No, relaxing

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    This episode was far too slow-paced. Not bad but worse than 1 and 3.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I find it’s almost useless to judge the first three episodes separately. They’re one continuous story sliced into three. I treat it as one long episode. Or just…a movie.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's definitely a First Act... with intermissions.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  23. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    So far - I really enjoy Andor as a whole. Episode 1 was mysterious enough to pull us in and episode 3 was action packed. Episode 2, however...

It was pretty slow - even by the standards of this show being a slow burn. I fully appreciate more dialogue than lightsaber duels or space fights. However, this one really felt like it was meandering a bit. Like it was just a massive set up for episode 3. It's unfortunate that shows have such short seasons now. Since that is the case - "filler" episodes should be a relic of old television series with 20 episodes per season.

I am really glad Disney+ made the wise choice of releasing the first 3 episodes up front. Otherwise, it would have been frustrating to have waited a week for an episode like this one.

That isn't to say it didn't have good moments. It definitely did. But of the 3 - this one was my least liked.

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    So...a Star Wars story?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He's in The Batman too. He was pretty horrifying as Trevor.

Blobofat likes this.