main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Andor Episode 1.03 Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 20, 2022.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 2, 2022.
  1. 10

34.1%
  2. 9

33.0%
  3. 8

19.3%
  4. 7

11.4%
  5. 6

1.1%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1.1%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    "****. We're under siege. They're everywhere."
    - Linus Mosk

YES! That's what I'm talkin' about! [face_laugh]:) That was my favorite line in the episode. But I loved Cassian and Luthen in this episode. And is the first time that we've heard the s-word in Star Wars? Speaking of Mosk, he seems more competent than his superior, Deputy Inspector Syril Karn. Karn appears insecure...and he's trying too hard. I mean, the actor is doing a good job. But the character is trying too hard. Heh heh.

I really liked it when Cassian and Luthen escaped on the speeder as the latter set off one of those charges. But my favorite moment in the episode was Cassian and Luthen's conversation. I also liked Maarva's moments in this episode. I'm excited for the next one.

Luthen's argument that Cassian's outstanding skills as a thief and infiltrator would help him in becoming an excellent spy. Some of this show actually reminds me of the early scenes in my upcoming novel, since Xyq and his fellow gangsters steal money and magical objects to amass an army for the purpose of liberating the United States in the 2040s from a dictatorship. This is good stuff.

2. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Personally I like that it doesn't feel like SW as it makes it feel fresh. People said the same thing about the prequels and the Clone Wars - that they weren't 'Star Warsy' enough, but nowadays they are definitive.

Bor Mullet and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Very interesting analysis. Yeah, I guess Ms. Andor was pillaging that ship. Also, I pretty much agree with most of what you said in the paragraph preceding that one. However, I think that Cassian was put into a bad situation with those two guys. He accidentally killed one and he didn't want to risk his life, and so he executed the other *******. Yes, it is a crime. But I'm pretty sure many Rebels would describe it as self-defense in a way.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I would argue Cassian killed the second guy in cold blood to cover himself. He wasn't just killed in defense like how the first guy was accidentally killed. Honestly, with the places we're used to seeing in the Galaxy, kill or be killed is supposed to be an accepted norm right? Sure he has a guilty conscience and later Andor establishes he's not a cold-blooded scoundrel no less lovable than Han. More interesting it establishes Syril as being motivated to be a good cop even if it's against his boss's wishes. That just gets completely muddled by his character. He is a parallel to an Imperial officer. I feel like it's meant to prime the viewer to feel sympathetic to the struggles of Imperial officers. Yes, Andor won't be the first or the last rebel to do something so heinous however he is automatically cut from a better cloth than either of those guys, Syril, or Luthen.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    Fredrik Vallestrand and Sarge like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That's personally what I mean when I say the show is groundbreaking. Like the prequels, I think it creates a wholly new flavor of Star Wars that will shape the future of the franchise in a significant way. Rogue One started that process, on a visual level (which influenced the Mandalorian's aesthetic), and I think Andor will do so on a deeper narrative level. Not for everything, mind you. We'll still get fun pulpy adventure stories, and I still want those. But I think this means Starr Wars will no longer be afraid to get very real (and more complex) with narratives.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I was so disappointed with BOBF, we should've had Star Wars underworld show more like this. But they made BOBF a kid's show and not very good one either. Bringing Mandalorian in it was the last mistake. Sure he did have the best scenes in that show too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Arwen Sith likes this.
  7. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Maarva says something that is very similar to a Nine Inch Nails lyric from The Wretched.

"You want it to stop, but it just keeps coming."
    -- Maarva Andor
    "You can try to stop it but it keeps on coming." -- Trent Reznor

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Yeah I agree. Hollywood and television tend to be imitative of what's successful and the (seeming) success of this show is a good thing I think. I mean, some of it is so different and un-Disney like that part of me is surprised they let the show air as is. And these differences are a good thing for us fans; it broadens the scope of what can be done with SW and now from pulpy adventure stories to gritty serious narratives and everything in between is fair game to produce. Hopefully.

Bor Mullet and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I really enjoyed this episode. I like how they're developing him. The 1st 2 episodes ran a little slow but here we really see how he gets involved in the Resistance. We also see he doesn't jump in, as can be expected, but is hesitant. I think showing the depth of Cassian is adding a lot to him as a character and how R1 can be viewed as well.

Arwen Sith and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  10. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Definitely my favorite episode so far. I'm really enjoying the flashbacks, and as a bonus, no bacta tanks necessary... Besides which, when Stellan SkarsgÄrd shows up in anything, interesting things are bound to happen.

I do think it's rather funny that Syril Karn, or rather the actor who plays him, Kyle Soller, looks so much like his namesake Kyle McLachlan, that I rather expect really weird Twin Peaksy things to start happening whenever he shows up.

11. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    Has Syril had some damn-fine coffee yet?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Isn't it called "caf" in GFFA :p

DannyD likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Those are my least favorite Star Wars-isms. Common things that are called something slightly different. They use words like sundown and falcon, so why can't they just say coffee?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  14. Jedi-Spy

Jedi-Spy Jedi Knight

Sep 25, 2019
    They had to make non-SW readers understand what was said/implied so that they didn't have to Wookipedia the term and loose the audience. That's a marketing thing for sales.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Why would non-SW readers have to look up the word coffee on Wookiepedia?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  16. Jedi-Spy

Jedi-Spy Jedi Knight

Sep 25, 2019
    Caf on Woodiepedia

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    To make sure they're actually talking about coffee, and not Chewie's cousin Coffbacca.

Jedi-Spy, Bor Mullet and Riv_Shiel like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Over-caffeinated wookies are scary af.

Jedi-Spy and TCF-1138 like this.
  19. Jedi-Spy

Jedi-Spy Jedi Knight

Sep 25, 2019
    I want the credits that the team left behind on The Eye episode.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well that's probably some EU writer who came up with caf so caf it is. There are plenty of different teas though. Tarine tea, moogan tea, Gatalentan tea...

Apparently Caf is also known as coffee in-universe. Since all writers don't remember to stick with in-universe words.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  21. Jedi-Spy

Jedi-Spy Jedi Knight

Sep 25, 2019
    What was the game that the crew was playing in episode six before they were held up by Andor and his party?

22. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Maybe caf is coffee that is caffeinated af.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That would be Caaf. It's Luuke's favorite.

24. Siphonophore

Nov 13, 2003
    Aah. Of course.

25. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm late here, but I'd give the episode an 8/10 if I could. It's definitely getting more interesting now with the police arriving on Ferrix. We see how Cassian was rescued (if you call it that) off of Kenari in a flashback. As he meets the buyer of the unique tracker, the police are in pursuit and we learn it was the jilted lover who ratted Cassian out. We see his foster mother crying as she must realize he'll never return; likely joining the Resistance. I was actually expecting to see the Empire landing on the planet and taking things up from there; possibly razing the village to the ground.