main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Andor Episode 1.05 Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 4, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 12, 2022.
  1. 10

18.3%
  2. 9

28.0%
  3. 8

24.4%
  4. 7

22.0%
  5. 6

4.9%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1

1.2%
  1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @SateleNovelist11
    According to one of the rebels, Cinta's partner is a member of the crew ("she's sharing a blanket with someone"). And Vel seems by far the most plausible candidate, based on what we see.

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I really can't agree with this statement.

3. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Me neither. Mainstream media seems to be very Q-friendly lately.

Unless you only watch FoxNews. Is that what you call "Mainstream"? LOL! You voted for Trump, right?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I know what you mean. It is better than it used to be, but it's pretty lesbophobic still. Y'all are men. You're referring to movies like Bros that just came out. Only a few movies like Carol and Harley Quinn focus on women.

Jessie Gender explains this. Media will feature LGBTQ people, but they often are killed. Lindsey Ellis also explored this topic.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  5. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Have you even watched TV lately? LGBTQ people are everywhere! All networks are bending over backwards to be inclusive in every way. Good for them! What are you watching? One of my favorite new shows is NCIS Hawai'i, with a blatantly lesbian couple prominently featured. Get real!
    But I digress. Let's talk about Andor.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yep, when Cassian was looking at Cinta one of the rebels said something like, "she's already sharing a blanket, if that's what you're wondering" and then Vel walked out and head over to Cinta I think.

SateleNovelist11 and 3sm1r like this.
  7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Gave it a 9.

From just a little speeder scene, Coruscant just feels immense. It's like no matter where you are, there's a thousand floors above you, and a thousand floors below. That's daunting. I love the dynamics between Mon and her husband. Guy seems bored and smug and uncaring. And tired of his wife's admirable goals.

8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'll definitely break up my rewatch into 3-4 portions, but it will be interesting to see how episodes like this square with the whole body of work. I'm glad we're not throwing characters straight into the action, they're letting us get to know them before the blasters start firing.
    It's A Trap!
    I'm interested in seeing how Dedra puts the pieces together, and advances the plot. It will show the Empire run by the competent, dangerous people that we know they really are.
    I went into this series thinking it would go one way, and it's just opened up a world that has been delightful to find.

I would doubt normal viewers knew who Sly Moore was, and seeing the uncomfortable dinner party wasn't necessary for the story. There will be more opportunities for uncomfortable dinners in the future, maybe Papa Palpatine might drop by for a bite to eat?
    I really enjoy how our characters are able to be fully fleshed-out, with their real motivations visible.
    I got the feeling that Luthen's assistant was his spouse, or something resembling that kind of relationship.
    I liked "Too Random to be Random."
    Hot Toys sure has a lot on their plate with all these Star Wars shows...and yeah, I'll probably get the "Andor" Cassian when he's released, but I hope he's given a few accessories that allow us to display him like Episodes 1-3, 4-6, and however the future episodes go.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I went 10. Really loving this build up and tension. As well as the look.

Agreed about Coruscant being immense. And it also feels so claustrophobic while being so big. We’re getting a lot of brutalist architecture which we didn’t see in the prequels. And there are things everywhere. I’m not sure if it was this week’s episode or last week; a character was waking on a walkway with other parallel walkways stretching out into the horizon and there are speeders zipping by in all the spaces in between. Where on Earth at least a depressing high rise would get it’s inhabitants above the bustle of the city, on Coruscant it’s like everything is at street level with vehicles zipping past the front doors and windows.

10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    i wonder if the people who are bored with this kinda spy story are more accustomed to Bourne and recent Bond movies where every five minutes there an action piece.

loving the slow build between 3 storylines

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    IMHO there's a decent chance all of them apart from Cassian will be dead by the time the raid is over.

Here is the Rogue One poster:

[​IMG]

Out of all the people on the poster, only Vader was protected by continuity. And by the time the credits rolled, he was the only one still alive.

Out of all the rebels participating in the raid on the Aldhani Imperial base, only Cassian is protected by continuity.

Andor is directed by the same guy as Rogue One.

They may well all die.

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I felt like so much happened in this episode. Characters were in very different positions by the end from where they started. Some of that is actual change like Cassian starting to take over the mission as the rest of the teams inexperience is exposed.

Then we have changes in the audiences perception of character. Mon Motha’s life terrible. Luthen is more on the edge than we knew but also not as alone. And Cyril has a home life out of A Clock Work Orange and I think he’s about to start hunting Cassian on his own.

And we got to the base in the dam. We saw what the base is like and how the Imperials are operating. That was payoff enough for me and set up for next week.

This seems like what Star Wars can do on TV that it can’t do in movie. Take its time unwinding and setting up. And it’s not sacrificing the look of the series.

I’m really please with the variety of Star Wars / Lucasfilm we’ve gotten in 2022 on Disney+.

At the very least I’d hope Star Wars fans can see if the current show isn’t for them - in a few short weeks something else will be released that’s very different from what is out right now.

my kind of scum likes this.
  13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Great observation about the Rogue One poster. All the characters die. I could actually see Cassian killing some of his current team if they jeopardize the success of the mission.

14. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Maybe Cassian is cursed, everybody he bumps into winds up dead. After the dam heist, they’re all dead. Later in the season, Luthen Rael will take youngish Andor under his wing like an adopted son, but pretty soon dad is dead too. Cassian goes home to Ferrix to find Bix, she’s dead, mom’s dead. Finally Syril has another face to face with nemesis, but turns his back for one terminal second, dead.

15. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Come on, just because they're not on a 3 year old poster that doesn't mean they're all dead. It's a big galaxy after all. I'm starting to feel sort of attached to some of the characters, and I hope they don't all die.

16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    The idiom of the Tree and the Axe can also be applied to Syril Karn. He's not going to forget what Andor did to him.

What the ****, how did I not notice Vader in that poster before.

17. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Will be interesting to see where they take his story, it's not as though his Uncle can hook him up with some bounty hunters. I really half expected him to jump over the side of one of those sky-high walkways in the last couple of episodes. Perhaps a bit too dark for SW though.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's less the poster and more about Cassian's speech to Jyn Erso about how many people he's lost in this fight and how much it has cost him. As much as I like some of his crew, we kinda have to see the tremendous cost that leaves Cassian choosing to be unattached to anyone but a droid by the time we get to Rogue One.

19. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Some Random thoughts! I'm guessing whatever job Karn's uncle hooks him up with will be pretty lousy. Get ready for Karn the space janitor! At some point though he'll be chasing after Andor again. How is that going to happen though?

The way they keep ominously mentioning the imperial engineer makes me think they're gearing up for some sort of big reveal but who could it be other than Krennic and even if it is Krennic what's the point of having him on the show other than to make the audience at home do the Leo pointing meme?

After the heist story arc is over I'm guessing we'll get a Saw Gerrera three episode arc and we'll possibly see more episodes with a bit more action in them.

Seems like Ferrix will be popping up again too. I suppose Andor will go back there to check in with his mom and his friends?

CptEks and whostheBossk like this.
  20. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Cassian - I have lost some comrades along the way. The first lot took machine guns to a blaster fight.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Haha. That’s too funny. I can relate.

Could it be Gallen Erso?

22. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    That's the one in the lead so far...Galen Erso. I would think its Saw Garrera as Mon seems desperate to get some dirty deeds done and Saw is the guy she's gonna trust. Maybe then in season 2 we'll see his extreme ways push the main Rebel cells away.

23. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Wow, where have I seen this storyline before. An "elitist and well-off" child that seems to harbour abit of resentment towards a parent - whilst being under the influence of someone who is lying in the backround and feeding this child all sorts of rubbish. Goodness, she will obviously turn out to be a psychotic, mass-murderer.......oh hang on, she already is. She was born like that.

And it's the unwritten word and the "scenes" that are not shown setting all of this up. Of course, I'm talking about the Mothma family - my favourite part of this week's episode.

Yet again, we have this tension between Mon and her slimy husband. He suspects something is up with all of Mon's new "extra curricular" stuff she has going on - and I dare say that it's those enemies of Mon's mentioned last week that are feeding him information on his wife's movements and the people she is associating himself with. And this simply feeds into the slimy, snobbish, sponge of a husband that Mon has and his obvious views that Mon should only concern herself with what's happening in the elitist world. Because it's quite obvious that he doesn't want Mon to rock the boat and this perfect little bubble that this sponge has surrounded himself with; where he swan's around at home and leaches off his wife's work ethic, her money, etc. He never seems to work or do anything of moral value. The really amusing thing is that I have seen this in real life with one or two people and have heard of several other situations where a boyfriend moves in with a guy's ex-partner and sponges off the child maintenance payments he makes.

But like I said before, it's the unwritten word and the unseen scenes that add another layer and dynamic within the Mothma family as her teenage daughter appears to be harbouring the same resentments - and I feel that it is Papa Mothma who is feeding his daughter all sorts of rubbish to fuel the resentment within and try and emotionally blackmail Mon into changing "her ways". In some respects, the teenage daughter's emotions have developed from somewhere - and this is where I draw the parallels to Ben Solo's story....and due to the same reasons. Because like Leia and her playing a critical role in helping form the New Republic government, a lot of Mon's time is taken up being a Senator and trying to form this Rebellion in the backround. And its not something that can be achieved with a few words. It takes time, a hell of a lot of time, talking to people in the backround, meeting folk, coming up with plans, etc, etc. So rightfully so and its something not shown, but Mon's daughter has the right to feel a little resentment towards her mother for not being there enough for her. But, and its a very big BUT, just like Ben Solo, they do not have the mental capabilities to understand, nor do they have the worldly experience of age to realise what is needed to form a government; or in Mon's case, what it takes to fight evil and tyranny in the form of what the Empire stands for and what is doing throughout the Galaxy. The daughter has 0% clue as to this and only reacts out of her own need's as a child.

But what compounds this is Papa Mothma. He does know the difference in things but does not give a flying **** outside of his own elitist world. So the unwritten word here is what this grub is whispering in the ear of his daughter. Obviously, he doesn't know what Mon is truely up to in helping form the Rebellion, but he has his own suspicion's that Mon is doing something that can jeopardize what he has, so he is feeding lies and rubbish to his daughter so that she plays it all out on his mother. You can see this written on his smug face as he watches Mother and Daughter fight over trivial matters.

I love the parallels this episode draws with the Solo / Organa / Skywalker family and it's really helping to feed into the sacrifices every person in the Rebellion would have made in fighting back against evil and tyranny. This week's episode really feeds into more of that emotionally blockwork of the Rebellion and I loved it.

And the same with Rebels on Aldhani. We're starting to get the emotional backrounds for their stories in wanting to join with the Rebellion - like the guy whose Farmer father was murdered by Imperials. There is also all of the "trust" issues being explored too. Its a very layered story in that regard and is what you would expect in a real life dynamic of groups in the real world forming a pact to take on evil and tyranny; where you would need to 100% trust the person standing right next to you that they have your back no matter what and will never turn against you. Because the consequences for getting it wrong is one that you would pay with your life for.

And then there is Syril's story for an obvious joining of with the Empire.

For me, the storytelling so far has been incredible. So many inter-drama's between different people that feed into the overall storyline. And its within perfect reason and context to the main story. This - in addition to the amazing cinematography every week, the world-building, seeing known places from new angles and so on. Its truly amazing stuff. And we haven't even gotten to many of the major action sequences. Its just being set-up very nicely at the moment for the emotional pay-off's later.

avcpl and Mostly Handless like this.
  24. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I’m not finding this show to be as “brilliant” or “amazing” as so many of you are but I’m finding it to be moderately entertaining. I’m okay with build up and character development but I’m not feeling satisfied by the end of the last two episodes. There’s just no pay off. If the first 3 episodes are anything to go off of, the pay off will be sometime during the next episode. Which is fine but it’s frustrating to have to wait week to week just to have that. This is definitely a show that should’ve dropped all the episodes at once, or better yet release 3 episodes at a time week to week.
    I’m not one who has to have action every episode. I love Game of Thrones and I’m currently loving House of the Dragon and other fans know that those shows are very much story driven. Those shows usually have a satisfying pay off in the story alone that has me wanting to talk with coworkers the next day. Andor isn’t really doing that for me.

25. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

CptEks likes this.