main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Andor Episode 1.05 Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 4, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Oct 12, 2022.
  1. 10

18.3%
  2. 9

28.0%
  3. 8

24.4%
  4. 7

22.0%
  5. 6

4.9%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.2%
  10. 1

1.2%
  1. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I rated this episode a 9 earlier today. Ive since come home and watched it again (twice), and if I could I change my rating to a 10. Its utterly fantastic in every way, it might be my favorite episode of the series so far.

Im giddy as **** over this series. It's absolutely astounding and I'm loving EVERY scene. I never want it to end. The foreshadowing at the end of this episode is frightening. It's the beginning of the Rebellion as we know it, as Luthen says, nothing may be the same again if the raid is successful. Even though we know the future, the dread you feel for these heroes here and now, is a true testament to the great writing and acting in this show.

Brilliant stuff. Next weeks episode will be nuts!

2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    You were right, as was I, the dinner party was most definitely supposed to take place at their home and they even had a seating chart and the entire table ready, and I just realized it has already happened by the time Episode 5 even starts. In Episode 4, they specifically talk about how that dinner is "tonight", and in Episode 5 we see the family at the table what I would presume is the morning after. There seems to be a lot of food on the table and the buffet next to it, so it could be the leftovers after that dinner party. So, since the scene with Mon Mothma and her husband in their car is not after the dinner (since they are coming back from somewhere the following night, the Senate perhaps? Or most probably a social event? , we are not getting that dinner scene =(( Too bad.

[​IMG]

Nah, it still seems to me that every mention by Dedra is one isolated event of theft. Definitely not enough data to assert that "too random is not random".
    Remains an incredibly stupid line in my eyes, a pretentious one liner that was added only to impress people because it sounds cool.
    But with little to no substance.
    The Bourne movies are reeking with Gilroy's style. I cannot even imagine someone liking Bourne but not Andor, and vice-versa. Every time I am watching Andor I actively think how much it reminds me of any of the Bourne movies. I am not sure why you are saying that they are packed with action. Yes, they do have significant amounts of action, but the reason why any of the Bourne movies is great is because of how it builds atmosphere and the characters. It's not your typical spy thriller movies in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Watch it again. There are definitely more than 3-4 isolated events being discussed. And no, it’s not “incredibly stupid.” I know intelligence analysis and this is a common concept in it.

That aside, the interesting thing is that it may, in fact, be random. One of the cases is of the unit Cassian stole from the Imperial Navy, and Cassian…wasn’t doing it for any organized rebellion. In a way, then, the “too random to be random” could be wrong.

That sets me up to deliver a super-cool line, though: “By being wrong, they were right!” ;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Best line of the series. And I love that the officer immediately took the opportunity to ask for a better title. That’s…very typical behavior.

5. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I had expected to get the heist scene this episode, but upon watching I'm actually really glad it wasn't. I know people hate when they waste an entire episode on boring stuff like character development, but to me not only does that stuff draw me in to the story, but I’m sure when the action does start presumably next week the fact that I care a lot more now about this group of rebels will make me a lot more invested in their survival and success.

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I brought this upon myself. On principle, I must now commit to watching all 60-years of Coronation St.
    Yes. And later by the fire, Vel gets between Cassian and Cinta, and tells Cassian to stay focused.

Anyway, this one’s a 10/10.

Also, anyone who’s ever done work derisively called “do-gooderism” by a lot of people around them, can understand Mothma’s situation and pain. That scene struck close.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  7. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    8/10. Really enjoyed it. It's a thoroughly interesting slow burn of a show. I just don't like the format of dropping an episode each week. I think it would work better if they did what they did at the start, and dropped them 3 episodes at a time.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I do think 3 at a time would make sense. That would shorten the fan discussion period to four weeks or so, and Lucasfilm probably doesn’t want to do that, but really, the 3-episode arcs are singular units, storywise.

9. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I said the same thing. The show is good but they need to give us a full story if they’re going to take their time. It’s a bit frustrating waiting a week for a quick story and no excitement.

JeeediMoriah likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    She literally says "If it were me, this is the way I would do it" because "They never climb the same fence twice". The entire discussion hinges on the concept that it is planned, conspicuous randomness.

But I also hate rethinking stuff once I've posted it in haste, so carry on.

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Another great line in an episode filled with awesome dialogue. Love that they included that in there to show how preoccupied some of the Imperials are with status.

12. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I sort of think Syril is gonna become a freelancer and awkwardly go through the world of bounty hunting in his quest to capture Cassian, be like The Will from Saga.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am indescribably eager to see how catastrophically badly he mucks up his next attempt at capturing Cassian. I can imagine him inserting himself into a major Imperial mission to stop the rebels, solely to get Andor, and it ends with the Empire having to start the Death Star over from scratch or an entire fleet of Star Destroyers falling out of orbit onto the Imperial palace.

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Oh, okay. Sorry. I missed that you were the one who typed that. My bad. I think that the good thing about all this is that it's humanizing Cassian and pretty much every character in the story in different ways.

I give this episode a 10. I appreciate dramas and character analyses over action stories. So, this was a pretty good episode.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    For added effect I hope he has Mosk with him so they can be the bounty hunting Abbot and Costello

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I think Dedra will seek out Syril to get more info and he'll be keen to be useful.

Riv_Shiel and Revyl Ren like this.
  17. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. I think it's a given that Karn will not only fail to capture Cassian but he's going royally screw things up for himself and possibly the Empire. Karn will likely be hoisted with his own petard.

On a side note, this might be obvious but I'm betting that after the heist mission Cassian will part ways with the rebel group and we might not see them again for the rest of the season. Cassian will leave the group and meet up with Luthen to get paid and Luthen will probably give him another mission, and/or (heh), Cassian will return to Ferrix, and Luthen will meet with Saw Gerrera.

Cassian is doing this mission to get money so that he can continue to search for his sister so presumably we'll see Andor looking for his sister though I have a feeling the "Cassian looks for his sister" storyline isn't going to take up a lot of time. He'll either give up the search or he'll be sidetracked.

There's still that scene from the trailer that shows Cassain in prison. At least I think it's a prison. I initially thought that was going to be a flashback but now I'm thinking he will get caught at some point though obviously he'll escape. I could see Karn getting wind that Cassian has been captured and then possibly trying to kill Cassian during a prison transfer or something. One way or another I don't think Karn will ever be able to catch Cassian. Somebody else, (Dedra?) will catch him and then Karn will try to gain access to him. Or...I'm totally wrong.[face_party]

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I watched the episode again and last weeks.

Is this going to be like two three part episodes that more or less make two movies?

So Vel and the healer (had to look her name up - its Cinta) are in a relationship but Cassian and Cinta immediately have chemistry together. I didn’t notice that before or the little things Vel does to assert herself and interfere with Cassian and Cinta’s attraction.

Cinta after checking Cassian’s wound again in the newest episodes is helping him get dressed when Arvel moves Cassian’s stuff and Cassian gets in his face. Vel not only breaks up the conflict she also says “He can dress himself” to Cassian and Cinta.

There are a lot of little looks also backing this up. There is a lot of subtlety in this show. This is worlds different from The Book of Boba Fett where characters freely monologue their inner thoughts.

Luke'sSeveredHand and Fin McCool like this.
  19. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Wasn't that dinner supposed to happen at the Mothma household? How could they be driving home from a dinner they hosted?
    We could still see it.

edit: someone beat me to it, apologies.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2022
  20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think they are driving home from a different event on a different night. The party they talk about hosting was taking place later that night. We get a breakfast scene between that conversation and the drive home. It looks like being a senator means lots of parties and social events.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    they can't have 2 dinners , that's outrageous!

22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    9/10 - loving this show. I do wish they either made the episodes a bit longer or dropped 3 at a time or something, just feels like it might work better that way for this series.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  23. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I like it released single episodes per week. Prolongs the fun, excitement and drama of it all. It not a move, its a TV show. Imagine Lost, or Breaking Bad, or The Sopranos all being released as full seasons. Nope.

Riv_Shiel, Wolf43 and LedReader like this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yep, Andor ep5 is just as great as the rest. This show just shines. Every character (including the small supporting roles), and every plotline has me completely hooked and interested. The dialogue is engaging, the acting is top notch, and the visuals continue to be completely convincing. I just want to bask in this show.

25. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Me, every time I hear people complain about a TV show having the audacity to only release one new episode a week:
    [​IMG]

At least let me hit 30 before you turn me into a curmudgeon. :p
    #BackInMyDay

Riv_Shiel and Sarge like this.