main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Andor Episode 1.11 Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 15, 2022.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Nov 23, 2022.
  1. 10

15.5%
  2. 9

32.1%
  3. 8

32.1%
  4. 7

13.1%
  5. 6

1.2%
  6. 5

3.6%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.4%
  1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Cassian’s allies, friends, and family all seemed pretty alert and savvy to the Empire and being watched in general.

We’ve seen the POV of Imperils and Rebels staking out Marva’s apartment. Off screen were the spies made by the locals? Maybe they have a plan to escape or repel the Empire.

I’m wondering if some of Cassian’s friends were also kids with him on his home planet.

2. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Yeah I agree, I knew it would be hard to match or top the emotion of episode 10 especially knowing this was probably going to be a set-up episode. However we did get a very emotional scene at Maarva's place with B2EMO; heart-wrenching really, he's like the family dog who lost his family. I know we've had some droids show attachment and emotion in SW before but never to this degree if I recall correctly. I hope things work out for the little guy.

Now on to my first complaint of the episode (and first complaint of the series really.) I had a slight problem with how Cassian and Melshi got off Narkana 5. So we start with them hanging off a cliff to avoid Imperial search parties...they do and then are on their way. Ok so far so good. Then they happen to come across a pair of aliens who have a ship. They make a break for the ship only to get caught in those web-net things and I thought; okay cool, it shouldn't be that easy, what are the aliens gonna do now? Turn them back over to the Imperials? Take them off-world and sell them to slavers? I was thinking it was gonna be an "out of the frying pan and into the fire" situation and they were gonna have to fight their way free again...but no, the aliens just let them out of the web trap and ask them where they want to go and then give them a lift to Niamos. Why? Because they're Good Samaritans? Because they also happen to hate the Empire too? Did Cassian offer them credits? If so I missed that part. It just seemed too easy and convenient to me. Then on Niamos, Cassian sneaks into his old room where the current occupant is conveniently sleeping, finds his box of blasters and credits which surprisingly haven't been found by housekeeping after all this time and then sneaks out. Again, a little easy and convenient. This is the first time I've knocked the writing in this show in any way as it's been so consistently good I've had no complaints thus far. I'm not saying those scenes were badly written, not at all, just that they were a little easy and convenient compared to the rest of the series.

That being said, it was a solid set-up episode, (7.5 out of 10 for me) Luthen's space battle was awesome and I'm very much looking forward to the finale. I'm gonna be as sad as B2EMO when this season ends next week.

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Andor's in for quite a surprise when he realises how many people , from different sides, are after him. And all he wants is to remain anonymous.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    As long as he pulls his hood over his head he'll be fine.

StoneRiver, Sarge, Riv_Shiel and 3 others like this.
  5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    With the flight off of Niamos Cassian finally caught a lucky break.

About the hotel room. It’s plausible no one would look up there to find the box. If it was in a vent or there was a cover Cassian popped off above the shower it would have sold it better. It’s still plausible with a bit of luck no one would find it.

As for the couple in bed conveniently asleep. We don’t know how much of a plan Cassian did or didn’t have for that. It might not have been convient at all. Did he staked them out enough to know when they’d be sleeping. There could have been a whole Oceans 11 style caper we just see the very end of.

I’d say we had cinematic shorthand for Cassian’s final escape and getting money.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    They are locals, and they indicate that they also hate the Empire (the entity that's ruining their water). It's certainly plausible, and not necessarily more realistic that these aliens would be bad guys that make their lives difficult. Up until this point, Cassian has caught few, if any, lucky breaks. Finally, he got one. They happened to run into people that were sympathetic. Works for me.

As for the money, there was a reason the writers had him put it way up on top of the shower. Seems like a place that wouldn't regularly be checked.

Yes. My use of the word "moly" has increased a lot since the premier of this show.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  7. Protean

Protean Jedi Master star 2

Sep 17, 2008
    "the empire sucks" is not exactly a rare opinion by this point and the Empire has gone out of its way to be awful to these locals

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Seemed quite realistic to me.

9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Yeah, I'm wondering the same, but I also think it could just be that Maarva is dead. The writing is so good on the show I think either direction works.

Having her die offscreen worked for me, not just because we experience the grief of her droid, but because I think it places us in Cassian's position of not being there for her death. It's a pretty interesting approach if that's what they were going for.

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Agreed! I have no problem with her passing away like that. It seems very realistic and plausible.

It’s the droid that seems to hint something else could be going on. Which could still be the case with Marva’s death being real.

Or it could all be at face value. We’ll find out next week. Whatever the case I’m along for the ride!

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  11. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Tbh, I would've loved an episode continuing the prison break by showing how they fight and sneak their way off the planet but I get why they made the decision that it wasn't necessary. What we got in episode 10 provided plenty of catharsis as is.

12. Crimson_Guard975

Crimson_Guard975 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 17, 2014
    Worked for Cal Kestis in Fallen Order as long as there weren’t any Inquisitors around. And Cassian has the advantage of not being big enough on the food chain to warrant their attention.

13. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Respect to the fishermen for being understanding & helping them get out of there.
    Luthen's escape was awesome.
    The ending was powerful.
    Bring on the finale.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This is a great point. Missing her death and only experiencing the aftermath put me un Cassian’s position, and when he stands there at the pay-phone in shock, it felt so real. All in all, it’s just another brilliant writing decision…

15. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Absolutely love this show. Possibly my favourite Star Wars project of all time but it looks as though it could be the only Star Wars project where we don't see a lightsaber get ignited.

16. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What did Syril take from his mother's room?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Darth Hood

Darth Hood Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    His father's lightsaber, he wanted him to have it when he was old enough

IDK, I thought it was just money

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I thought that was syril’s own safe. He’s mentioned earlier his mother trying to get into his lockbox.

He took money. And he also appeared to leave some money.

19. MysteryFedora

MysteryFedora Jedi Knight

Nov 8, 2019
    Well it was full of jewellery, and he waited for his mother to be out of the house before he accessed it, so I think I come down on the ‘it was his mothers safe’ side of things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He could also hide in Obi-Wan’s coat.
    He took money from a safe in a room that wasn’t his, and he had to wait for his mother to leave before taking it. So clearly it wasn’t his safe if he had to sneak around. He stole money from his mother.

Him having his own lockbox in his room does not preclude his mother also having a safe…
    That’s the only way to interpret it. Why would he have to sneak around and wait for his mother to leave before…opening his own lockbox? That wouldn’t make sense. Not to mention that this safe was not in his room.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    His mother won’t like that. I’m sure Syril will only have to hear about it for the rest of his life.

By the time this series is over Mother could be up there with Palpatine as all time greatest Star Wars villains. (She’s not nearly as likable as Palpatine. His laughter contagious.)

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Yeah I agree it works, it's not completely unbelievable, but Cassian and Melshi did also just try to steal their ship. I mean, think about it this way...if two escaped convicts still wearing their orange prison jumpsuits tried to steal your car and you managed to stop them, what would you do then? Would you turn them in? Or maybe just try and get away from them? Or say "yeah I hate this government too...where do need a ride to?" Maybe I'd be more agreeable to the scene if they just walked up to them peaceably instead of trying to steal their ride. And maybe I'm just being nit-picky, this show hasn't given me anything to complain about so now that I found a little something my internal editor is going crazy ;)

I concede this point. Again, that's me just being nit-picky.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If I was living under a fascist regime run by Trumpatine, I’d help anyone who’d been a victim of that system. Even if they’d tried (and failed) to steal my car. I mean, the aliens didn’t just…let them steal their ship, after all. They captured them first. And after hearing them out, they decided to help. I feel I would’ve done something similar. Especially if I had massive membrane nets.

24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I love when they talk through hidden messages.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  25. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I don't think so - they made a point early on of how the only people on Ferrix who knew about Kenari were people they'd told.