main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Andor Andor Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 7, 2022.

1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not going to be shocked if we don't get any clarity about the crashed ship and I'm fine with that. I'm already more interested in what's ahead rather than what happened in the past.

Ha. I'd love to hear what these objectionable lectures are that are popping up on those shows.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2022
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    They are not lecturing you, you simply dislike the show.

3. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    I think it's perfectly logical to feel differently about losing to aliens ambushing you on their home world, with Rebel help no less, and losing to a spy who's sitting at a public terminal in the Fortress Inquisitorious where people can literally hear her coordinating the mission, and she just incapacitates the one person who comes to ask her questions and leaves him lying in the middle of the floor. I mean, just walking the prisoner out the front door in a trench coat while the base is on high alert is actually one of the sneakier parts of the mission.

Oryx-I and Riv_Shiel like this.
  4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I’m definitely curious about seeing Cassian’s shadier moments while working with the rebellion as the show progresses further into this new life he has found himself in. It would be interesting to see Cassian undercover committing false flag operations as an Imperial to get systems or planets to support rebel operations etc. or assassinations against non-Imperial targets (maybe more troublesome parts of the rebellion like Saw Gerrera or other terrorist cells)

TadoFett likes this.
  5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I'll tell you this -- after seeing Rogue One I thought somehow, against all odds - it was my favorite SW film -- and I am not sure that has ever changed.
    And while I like an awful lot of the TV series we have gotten so far...
    Andor is so good it makes me wish each episode had another hour each.

EHT, TadoFett and DannyD like this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't get the love for R1 , it's alright , but nothing much.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Great, memorable characters. Interesting story. And this…
    [​IMG]

EHT, TadoFett, gat-65b and 3 others like this.
  8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Just one scene similar like that in Andor or in Acolyte, pls.

TadoFett likes this.
  9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    It's not as good as any of Lucas' films, but it's the best of the Disney ones imo. Unlike the ST, the writers on R1 were careful to have a story that made sense, and they had to because they weren't painting on a "blank pages" so to speak. It was a prequel, which gave them clear guidelines, and consequently it's just more contiguous with Star Wars than TFA, TLJ and TROS.

10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Rogue One is a masterpiece on multiple fronts.

1. It retcons and enriches what had previously felt like an all too convenient weakness within the Death Star by making it purposeful, clever sabotage from within by the Death Star’s chief architect.

2. It taps into the power of father and child storytelling within Star Wars by giving us a daughter protagonist who became jaded after years of hearing that her father was a monster working for the Empire (on a a planet destroyer) and then watching her become inspired to lead others once she realizes his cunning final act of betrayal against the Empire that tore his family apart.

3. There are Oppenheimer parallels that add new layers to the story of Galen Erso and elevate him to one of Star Wars all time best supporting characters.

4. K2SO might be the best droid in Star Wars. If he isn’t he’s close.

5. Jyn Erso is the best non-force using female in all of Star Wars. Up there with Han and Lando for me but probably below both for me.

6. It was the first film that really let us look at the Inperial in-fighting that exists and the politicking.

7. It combines aspects of the Wild Bunch with the Longest Day and gave us Star Wars first storm the beach style warfare. The Scariff battle is wonderful.

8. Krennic is a fantastic antagonist. Not because he’s super strong and imposing but because of how ruthless and ambitious he is.

9. The space battle is probably top 4 all time for space battle scenes for any Star Wars film.

10. The cinematography is incredible.

11. The tone is mature and gritty and the crew that team’s up all have their own heroic moment and ending and sacrifice themselves to setup the events of ANH in a seamless way.

12. Chirrut is a total badass.

13. Vader is and was amazing. It was our first time with him since ROTS and for many it was exactly how they imagined he could be with better effects.

About the only downsides are that the once innovative deepfake techniques from that year are badly aging in comparison to what is now possible but that work arguably paved the way for the incredible work we now have with ROTJ-era Luke in BOBF so it’s a small price to pay.

episodenone, EHT, TadoFett and 8 others like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    People- Andor thread! Movie talk threads not here! Keep it up and, well,

[​IMG]

12. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I'd love to see a show about the waning High Republic and reemergence of the Sith with Andor's production quality, cinematography, and set design, yes please and thank you

I want to see a lightsaber that doesn't blind the audience and wash out every other color on screen again

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    If I remember right Acolyte will use both Volume and locations shoots. It might not have as good as Andor but close enough.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    TadoFett and Palp_Faction like this.
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    It was confirmed by the episode guide that it was a Republic ship, it pre-dated the Clone Wars so that symbol didn't represent the CIS yet.

TadoFett and whostheBossk like this.
  15. Darth Majestic

Darth Majestic Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2020
    Just watched the first 4 episodes back to back... UGH! Wish I hadn't.

BORING!!!

Definitely my least favorite Star Wars anything.

Supernaut1977 likes this.
  16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Binged the four available. Excellent. Cassian was my favorite from R1, and this just takes that character and runs with it. Really gives me hope for future projects in the Star Wars universe, and makes me sad we're only getting two seasons.

17. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Well not much point putting yourself through the next 6 episodes. Just go back to watching the Star Wars content you enjoy. Personally I struggled with the first 2 episodes but glad I stuck with it as I really enjoyed Ep3 and Ep4 sold the whole thing to me completely.

Sarge and clone commander bossk like this.
  18. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes that scene was rather poorly done from logical point of view. Sure he was not left in the middle of the floor, but behind the console at least. Still we cannot really say Return of the Jedi wouldn't have been much better with Emperor's "best legions" being so poor in battle.

My point is the Star Wars has always had pretty stupid and rather illogical scenes and sure it is rather personal when they go "too far". I agree that scene with Tala was dumb too. she was far too exposed there with others around her, they could've at least have her use that terminal in more private corner. I don't disagree on that.

What comes to ewoks the main idea that Empire is being defeated by locals they were not prepared to fight is not bad, comparing it to like Vietnam and it makes sense, but the way how easily ewoks overpower and dominate these supposedly elite legions is still rather laughable in many scenes and would be faced with a huge amount (justified) criticism from fans if made today.

And Return of the Jedi is still one of my favorites I might add. I don't see any big difference. Just same sort of poor writing and too obvious character shields hat has plagued Star Wars from the beginning more or less. But personally I'm not too bothered by this, I'm used to it and it doesn't ruin the show for me if some scenes are bit too dumb to be believable. It's nice that Andor doesn't seem to have such issues so far. I do applaud this show for being more realistic. It's new and fresh in a way.

But it is probably closely connected to it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    TadoFett likes this.
  19. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Nah the entire style felt just too modern in trailers. But sure the concept of mixed race societies don't fit in that fictional world very well, since story makes a big deal of peoples of middle earth mostly being hostile to all different peoples and many living in same place most of the time etc. So it just doesn't make much sense in context to have black elves and black hobbits living together with white elves and white hobbits without any believable explanation how such situation came to be in-universe. In original LOTR there are clear racist undertones thanks to Tolkien being from South Africa himself and attitudes being very racist everywhere in the world when it was written.

But I don't know how those issues are explained or handled in that show since I haven't watched the show and talking about this derails this thread anyway. If I ever do watch it we can talk about it then.

I really have nothing against female characters or non-white characters if they are well-written characters and their introduction makes sense in-universe. Stories should be told from different points of view and I'm fine with that. But when point of view remains the same and only thing that is added is some of these quota characters added purely for representation they usually end up feeling bit out of place and not written well. They are not in focus for the right reasons. Actors are not to blame if character is not well-written. This is sad phenomenon since instead of just filling the set quota there should be radical changes in story-telling to actually represent life genuinely from different point of view and build more understanding between different people that way. Many experiences are after all universally shared and can be understood by people of different ethnicity or gender identity at least somehow.

20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  21. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I’ve watched that ISB scene a couple times now, and it’s going to take a readjustment period when the Mandoverse stuff comes back and the Imperials become less interesting in their interactions.

22. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    I finally was able to watch the 4 released episodes (had Covid and didnt feel like watching them with all the symptoms) and can only say: WOW! Feels like a continuation of Rogue One in so many ways. Episode 3 was by far the most epic one but all of them are done so well. I really can't wait for more and I'm happy they're doing a season 2.

What I love is that every D+ SW show feels different. OWK and Mando feel so different in tone and atmosphere. Its great that we're getting different genres with different shows. So many talented people who create SW with their interpretation and ideas. Its really amazing! I'm looking forward for Ahsoka, which will feel different too because Filoni is the showrunner (Mando is more of a Favreu thing). Acloyt will be different too. Just great!

PS: after seeing Mon Mothma in Episode 4 of the show I really really regret that we didnt get those Delegation of 2000 scenes in RotS. Damn it would be fine to have them in the movie and have Mon and Bail be in Episode III, TCW, Rebels, Andor, OWK and finally RO...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Glad you are feeling improved and got caught up.

KyleKartan likes this.
  24. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Thank you. Still am positive after over a week but only light symptoms like a a running nose. Luckily Iam fully vaxed which definatly helped!

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    But why are female and non-white characters only fine "if they are well-written and their introduction makes sense", yet somehow the same doesn't apply for white males?
    A character is a character, either it works or it doesn't. The gender or colour of their skin is entirely irrelevant to the quality of the character. Female characters, or non-white characters, aren't any more simply there for representation than white male characters are.

Granted, I would agree that changing the social makeup of different species in a fantasy-world can be a bit odd, especially when said setup was specifically designed to represent elements from our own history and societies. Though in the end it is hardy deal-breaking. It's not like things are always 100% clear on every matter. There are reasons why the world ended up with black people in lots of places they didn't come from, or why you can find the odd blond person in Mongolia. It wouldn't be out of the question for their to be a black elf, and making a big thing out of it, like certain groups on the internet love to do, is just making a mountain out of a molehill. Even if it may have happened because a studio didn't want the cast to be all white.