main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Snoke) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tobi, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Will Snoke return in Episode IX?

1. Yes - I think he's Darth Plagueis and can therefore cheat death (Even being cut in half)

14.9%
  2. Yes - perhaps a clone, or Force Ghost, or by some other means, like in a flashback

15.4%
  3. No - his story is done

69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes. And how did Leia know that Snoke had been the one to turn her son to the Darkside, and/or what he was capable of?! She obviously hadn't talked to Luke, as far as we know after Kylo Ren turned. And she spoke of Snoke as if she knew him/had prior dealings with him...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I think those were abandoned storylines. Perhaps JJ will resurrect them but as there was no development on those in TLJ it would be difficult to shoe-horn them in.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  3. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    But doesn't Luke talk about Snoke in the same way in TLJ? He mentions him like he knows who he is? Sounds like nothing changed or was dropped from TFA, both Leia and Luke knew about Snoke. And none of them takes take it further..

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  4. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Snoke is dead.
    What I meant was that exploring the background on who Snoke was or how he "seduced" Ben. Or what "dark side" religion he followed (as he wasn't a Sith). May have been interesting to know ahead of an eventual confrontation against him. Now however, he's in pieces somewhere. Unless he was also part starfish, (i.e. he can regenerate from the body parts), I don't think it's super interesting to learn more about how he came to be or how he had force powers or what he could teach Kylo.
    All those questions were interesting when he was alive and for TLJ.

Now, to me at least, these are un-interesting factoids. Like knowing during ESB that the Geonosians built the DS that was blown in ANH. Probably not that interesting. This point was interesting only during AoTC when Obiwan was chasing after Jango. And the DS was yet to be built.

leopardhk47 likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    You see, this is the main reason why I was so disappointed with the decision to kill Snoke in TLJ. I can get over the fact that we don't know where he came from, who he is or how he gained control of the FO. I'm okay reading that in some book or other I guess. But the whole motivation and process behind Kylo Ren's turning to the Darkside will now presumably never be explained-if it is true what you say @ObidioJuan, that those storylines were abandoned. It's just basically "we need a bad guy, so how about somebody just made this kid that was training with Luke evil!" And that's IT. Nothing more. Kind of hard to have any interest in what choices Kylo Ren makes in Episode IX if we don't have any knowledge of the how and why for his turning against everyone he loved in the first place. I enjoyed his character so far, but IMO the storytelling there is just shallow. If we don't understand/can't relate to his motivations, how can we become invested in his fate?

IMO keeping Snoke alive into Episode IX would've allowed for deeper story development to learn more about how Kylo Ren was turned in the first place. But instead, we're all just supposed to forget about Snoke.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  6. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    @DARTH_BELO I agree with you. I was going to say Snoke comes across as a "cartoon" villain, but the villains in many cartoons are way better than Snoke.
    Thrawn in Rebels.
    Executioners in Clone Wars, Assaj Ventress
    To name a few.

I say the storylines were abandoned because there was exactly zero development of the Snoke character in TLJ. He's there then he's killed.

Maybe the intent was to use Snoke as a Phantom Menace (pun intended) and just lurk in the background. Like Sauron, he's bad and he's there but he's not involved. He uses his minions. But if this was the idea it didn't quite work.

Lord Sidious in TPM is also in the background and is only showed via hologram very similar to how JJ introduced us to Snoke in TFA or how GL introduced us to the Emperor in ESB, There was potential for something there but then RJ lift the curtain and all we see is a zombie dressed in gold that can't see/sense a LS next to him turning and impaling him.

7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I guess the question now is "Will Snoke even get mentioned?"

I'd put those odds at 5/1.

11-4D and The Legions of Lettow like this.
  8. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I think this is an unfortunate victim of JJ Abrams' mystery box. It should have been addressed in Episode VII and this is something we needed to go know going in. There's no reason to make this a mystery other than "We, the writers, have no idea and just made him up because we wanted to emulate the Emperor."

If it wasn't addressed from the beginning in the movie, then it won't be addressed later on because now it'll just feel clunky. An explanation in a book or videogame is all we're getting.

EDIT: I'm guessing Snoke gets mentioned in a sentence or two when the plot needs to reference him. At best, it'll be Rey saying "Snoke turned you, but this isn't you! I know Ben Solo is in there somewhere." or something like that.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Ava G. likes this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed, I think he'll be mentioned in IX, but that's where it'll stop unfortunately. It would make sense if they didn't know what to do with Snoke anyways. Wasn't there talk that they were having a hard time finalizing the details about Snoke during TFA's preproduction? It would make sense if that was the case for his character storywise, if it is true from an aesthetic standpoint.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  10. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Never tell me the odds.

11. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Have tried to put a link to an really informative article with all the information about Snoke we have so far on Reddit in my post. Didn't seem to work. Are Reddit Links not allowed on this forum now?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I would be great if a talented writter, like Luceno, was tasked with a book about Snoke's backstory. It clearly exists as Andy Serkis is aware of it.

It could be the first book of a trilogy about how he started it all in the UR, who he met Luke and how he seduced Ben. First book about Snoke, second about Luke and third about Ben.

13. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I'm thinking Snoke's, Luke's, and Ben's complicity in creating the battles we're witnessing will be shown in flashback. So Snoke'll be in it in that way.

Might be a longer flashback than we've seen so far, but given the length of Rey's vision in VIII it's possible that an exposition could be included. There was even more flashback/exposition in Rogue One so it could be done without spoiling the momentum of this final act in the series - if directed and edited well!

14. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I honestly think they planned on Ren being the bad guy from the get go but needed to make his character complex and relatable so needed a reason similar to Anakin/Vader for his turn. Ren and the other characters were meant to be the audiences focus in the story. When Serkis was announced as a "bigger bad" character everyone got excited, then the teaser dropped with his voice so the mystery started. I honestly don't think the writers knew a backstory for Snoke during TFA. Johnson had a chance to elaborate but did what he did with every other possible interesting side story JJ set up and just said "I'm a great director and I'm going to write my own movie in my own vision"! Then Serkis said they aren't going to expand on it now because they might want to use it in other stories. Disney is just looking to make money, some kids will view him as people who were kids viewed Fett in the original trilogy. Some awesome looking guy who they want to know more about. If you remember correctly, Fett was shown as a side character who looked cool and had neat gadgets and tricks. Story wise he didn't have too much screen time and got thrown in a man eating hole by a blind Han Solo.

15. SKYGUY23

SKYGUY23 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2014
    So Andy Serkis had to cancel an appearance at some sort of con. Could be related to filming E9. Mark Hamil is currently filming too. My theory of a flashback fight with LUKE and SNOKE is gaining traction[face_batting]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  16. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    Or them meeting each other on a similar path but Luke doesn't know Snoke's intentions

TadoFett likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I had to cancel a dentist appointment. Does that mean I have a major supporting role in Episode IX!?

18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I predict Lord Of The Rings 4: A New Fellowship

Ava G. likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm in Lord of the Rings 4!

Can I tell my family?

GregMcP likes this.
  20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I am pretty sure JJ will reveal Snokes backstory and his real name.
    His real name will be:
    Zefram Cochrane!

MrDarth0 likes this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    As somebody that is hoping that we'll learn more about Ben Solo's fall I wouldn't be surprised if Snoke appears in a cameo.

22. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    I think he'll be in a vision from the past or something like that for sure. They definitely won't bring him back to life though cause that would seem forced just to make some people happy. They need to elaborate on how he manipulated Ben during the movie though. If they just say they will put it in a comic or a book they will dig themselves into a bigger hole IMO.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    No. Episode X, more likely.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Soooo...If these Snoke appearing in IX rumors are to be believed, then it joins a number of other rumors of returning characters. Luke, Obi Wan, Snoke, Leia, I've even heard one of Anakin/Vader.

Unless we see that Snoke is not actually dead, and he like...duct taped his waist back to his legs or something...or that he's Plagueis...and comes back live, the more likely way I'd see him "returning" is in a flashback. Based on rumors we've heard, so far Episode IX sounds like it could basically be an episode rife with flashbacks. I imagine it like the finale of such sitcoms as Seinfeld: where the entire episode was basically just comprised of flashbacks after flashbacks, as they connected with what is going on in the current timeline for that episode...

"Hey, here's how we explain everything that currently doesn't make sense with the ST: We basically spend half of Episode IX showing scenes of things that happened in the past!"

In the words of Padme:

"I hope not."

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  25. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    This!!

The Regular Mustache likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.