main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Snoke) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tobi, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Will Snoke return in Episode IX?

1. Yes - I think he's Darth Plagueis and can therefore cheat death (Even being cut in half)

14.9%
  2. Yes - perhaps a clone, or Force Ghost, or by some other means, like in a flashback

15.4%
  3. No - his story is done

69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hope Star Wars avoids humanoid CGI villains from now on. Snokes and Thanos’s are less interesting than Vos’s, Krennics and Vaders. And if you go with mysterious big bads, make them more alien and unsettling. Like the Guild Navigator in Dune.

RetropME likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Or Jabba the Hutt!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    No, you're wrong. Thanos is awesome. Stop saying stupid stuff.

4. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Vader worked fine as the villain and he was, essentially, inhuman in that suit. For me, the worst thing about Snoke is how he DID just end up being another Emperor-like figure sitting on a throne. After TFA they could have gone anywhere with the character, absolutely anywhere! It's such a let-down.

Darkslayer, lawton and chrcharcor2 like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Thanos is st00pfid1!

By the way, I saw IW again last week and agree that he was by far the best of the MCU villains (and for some reason, I enjoyed the whole film a lot more than the first time). I just like Star Wars villains to be more grounded.

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I said Thanos was boring from the previews before I had watched Infinity War. His narration in the previews annoyed me and I wasn't looking forward to his monologues. But when I watched the movie he was more interesting than I expected. He also had several snort-worthy moments, like at the end as he watches the sun set on a "grateful universe." *golf claps*

After I watched TLJ in theater I was definitely feeling this Snoke-illusion and "is he really gone?" feeling and this sense that the other projection-like thing that had occurred in this movie was possibly Snoke projecting his dead corpse for all to see. And I had this feeling Snoke would be back.

This is all gone now. I now don't expect Snoke back in the least.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I don't think he will be back either. They already set the story in motion, no need to pull a haha just kidding Snoke is back.

oncafar likes this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Yeah, it would be kind of lame at this point I feel. But that could just be coming from I'm used to him being dead so my mind has moved on and Snoke's corpse is so far back in the previous iterations of me and my thoughts that I can't justify such a reversion. So really I am defining reality by myself. But oh well!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Yeah bringing him back would undermine their reasoning for doing it in the first place. let alone the way they killed him off.

I could see Snoke being in the next movie, although by flashback. i feel like adding some extra details to the backstory could help the overall trilogy work abit better.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    oncafar likes this.
  10. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I agree - at minimum at least give a few lines about his background. I think how Luke went out is what irritated the typical Star Wars fan the most and that could have easily been handled differently by having him and Snoke both going out with a bang with the Kylo backstabbing his master to take over the first order storyline still the same as it was.

11. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    The movie would have been 10 times better if they gave Snoke some backstory and Luke actually fought Kylo. Luke could of still died and I would be fine with it. I'm sure in the 30 years he's been a Jedi he's learned how to get a damn Xwing out of water. Take your damn Xwing, fly it to Crait and have an epic lightsaber duel with your nephew.

DARTH_BELO and lawton like this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I was really hoping Snoke would turn out to be Zartan. I'm bummed.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Luke raising his X-Wing out of the water could've actually been a great sequence, IMO. Having seen Yoda do it for him in ESB, but now seeing Luke do it himself, years later, that could be a moving parallel to see.

But I agree, if we learned more about Snoke-mainly his method and reasoning for turning Kylo Ren-my enjoyment of TLJ would increase greatly. I actually kind of liked Luke's force projection concept though-something new, and something (presumably) only an immensely powerful Jedi could do. I loved how he just disappeared in front of Kylo, and Kylo was just standing there dumbfounded and furious!

lawton and dlbates like this.
  14. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I wouldn't be shocked if we learnt more about Snokes method and reasoning in Episode 9. although in a flashback where we could get abit more insight

I feel like Kylos motivation and character in general feels abit astrange to people because i don't think people know fully what to make of him. adding abit more with Snoke might explain abit more.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    The Regular Mustache likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    One line of dialogue was all it would have taken. I strongly disagree with RJ. There was room.

lawton, Darth Caliban and Darth Smurf like this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well said.
    The original six movies were not about Sidious either. Yet we shown how he rose to power - because it was essential to the story. Snoke (and the First Order as a whole actually) comes out of nowhere with no explanation. We need to know how he was able to undo the work of the OT heroes.

godisawesome likes this.
  17. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I like CGI Snoke and Thanos. Not too wild about CGI Steppenwolf.

18. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    It's why the movie shouldn't have been scripted by him, or at least not by him alone. Abrams isn't crazy enough to have himself as the sole writer. You need healthy discussion over the screenplay you're working on. Someone to say 'wait a minute...what if' or basically to tell someone 'no' when things are going a little...off. o_O

Vader had very little backstory in ANH but we DID learn enough, through a couple of lines from Obi-Wan. 'He betrayed and murdered your father' is such a great line because it suddenly makes the stakes more personal. With Snoke, why should we hate him? Vader is immediately effective. We see him being genuinely intimidating, choking people etc.

Roosterq likes this.
  19. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    To take it a step further, why did Ben turn? All we have is Luke saying by the time he sensed the growing darkness, it was too late. Why was the darkness growing? Why so much hatred for his father? We did not know why Anakin turned during the OT...it wasn't needed to move the story along but just like my argument about knowing Snoke's backstory, we the fans have the PT and why Anakin fell and while the attempt to show it happen wasn't the best, we knew why. Unless they plan on making a prequel during Ben's training with Luke(which they wont), skipping over Ben's fall is poor. Some say may it snot needed to move the story along but right now, I feel noting for Ben/Kylo. I see a young man with anger issues but we don't know why. He is just a punk. When I watch the OT now, I see Vader in a completely different light...he is not just a monster but a broken man.

Dagobah_Dude and MrDarth0 like this.
  20. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Even if Snoke is dead and not returning from it, he could still be involved in EPIX in a very logical way because Kylo would no doubt be trying to learn all he can about his former master's secrets. TFA establishes that while Snoke has given Kylo some training, he clearly was holding a good deal back. I'm certain that part of Kylo's motivation for killing Snoke was to get at that knowledge that he was beginning to suspect Snoke would never actually share (partially heading Han's warning about being used by Snoke).

I'm also having a hard time seeing Kylo doing anything directly after the end of TLJ except heading back to The Supremacy and doing a thorough search of everything Snoke kept private. He has to know he can't just chase the Falcon down that quickly, and even if his fleet could- after Crait, Kylo's confidence in having enough power to defeat Rey must be at an all time low. In almost every encounter he's had with her, she's bested him. She beat him in a lightsaber battle already on Starkiller Base(although he was injured, but she had no training), then in his next lightsaber battle she managed to defeat all of Snoke's guards she fought while he did not- in fact she had to save him from the last one. After that he failed to overpower her as they struggled to take the Skywalker saber from each other. Then she somehow escaped that confrontation after Holdo's suicide strike, while he was rendered unconscious. He has to be worried about her getting stronger before their next confrontation so it seems only logical that he would pour over Snoke's "records" to see how he gained enough power to grab Rey and move her around the room like a kid playing with an action figure.

If this is delved into on screen, then there is ample opportunity to provide at least some general information about his origins, as well as his initial connections with the FO and with Ben Solo. I'm hoping that we get to see Kylo exploring Snoke's chambers and discovering something important. Perhaps Snoke shared a great deal about Vader with Kylo, but never revealed to him that Vader had a personal fortress on Mustafar. Kylo could discover it at this point and go on his own Dark Side journey of discovery the same as we would expect Rey to go on her Light Side path (learning more from the Jedi texts and obtaining a lightsaber of her own).

21. dlbates

Nov 30, 2014
    Pretty sure Ren took out more guards than her and was fighting off multiple guards at once. He only was in trouble when his lightsaber was stuck in one of them and he had to dodge a blow before he could pull it out. Plus from my perspective Ren didn't want to kill Rey on SKB and was trying to corner her. In the novelization he was shocked when he found out who she was (whoever that is) and she turned the battle on him. Also if he wasn't afraid to fight Luke Skywalker I highly doubt he would be afraid to fight her. After killing Snoke he isn't unbalanced anymore. He'll be a monster in episode 9. He's a Skywalker. Don't get me wrong, he will seek more knowledge from Snoke among others. If it's a big time jump and the FO is in control of the galaxy I'm sure he will have some time on his hands.

22. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I really like your thinking here; but I don't want to get my hopes up. :(

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If Snoke doesn't appear I hope Andy Serkis can play a different character, I think he's been massively underused in both the ST and the MCU.

Darth Caliban and KamNale like this.
  24. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    If it turns out Serkis is filming for Ep. 9 after all I am thinking now its much more likely Snoke is alive than it being for a flashback scene. Changing my thoughts on this some.

Some people make a pretty good case that this trilogy was kind of set in stone with the middle part being Luke dying fighting Kylo to keep Snoke from getting Rey (yes kind of a copy of the OT) and Snoke completing Kylo's training by purging Ben out of him. Its just Johnson decided to use this crazy projection stuff to reach those 2 things. Also it was always set in stone that Rey would have to face Snoke in the end.

Who knows - we may see Snoke on a throne in Ep. 9 that looks like the one in TFA.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Darth Caliban likes this.
  25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think he will appear in a flashback. i don't think they will reverse his death. i don't think you can come back from the point of his death in episode 8 without it making that moment abit pointless.

if they make it a flashback then they can add abit more backstory to Luke, Kylo and Snoke that may have been much needed.

The last 2 movies did flashbacks so i don't think this one will be much different.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.