main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Snoke) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tobi, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Will Snoke return in Episode IX?

1. Yes - I think he's Darth Plagueis and can therefore cheat death (Even being cut in half)

14.9%
  2. Yes - perhaps a clone, or Force Ghost, or by some other means, like in a flashback

15.4%
  3. No - his story is done

69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The Beyond = Unknown Regions

or

The Beyond = The Netherworld

????????

lawton likes this.
  2. HostofJakku

HostofJakku Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2016
    Did snoke want Luke dead because he assumed he was Kylo's equal? Because he later states Rey is his equal and by the end of TLJ Luke is gone.

lawton likes this.
  3. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Good question. Looking at it now I took his line to Rey to mean Snoke thought the light would use Luke as its balance to Kylo's growing power in the darkside but that he realized then it was actually Rey. It is kind of odd Snoke seems to leave himself out of that "darkness rises and the light to meet it" equation. He sees Luke's threat also as being a beacon of hope to others as long as he remains alive.

Turinsd00m likes this.
  4. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Trying to think how they would tie all this stuff together if Snoke is still alive and doesn't truly die until Ep. 9. If that rumor on MSW is true about a threat from the beyond the obvious choice would be the Grysks as they would definitely foot the bill as it being possible for them to have a connection to both Snoke and their sights set on possible invasion of the known galaxy. It could even explain Snoke witnessing the rise and fall of the empire as they made small incursions into the galaxy during that time I think it was said.

5. HostofJakku

Jul 18, 2016
    The grysks? Aren't they suppose to be the new yuhzan vong? They are impervious to force right? If so it still doesn't explain the dark side presence in the unknown regions. However they could be the threat with some kind of dark side relic that makes them unbeatable. That relic could be the maguffin too.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  6. lawton

May 12, 2015
    I havent read the new books but I think they are a lot different than the vong despite filling that role possibly. I don't think they are impervious to the force. Just something about developing defenses to certain weapons.

7. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I also find it very telling that Snoke's dialogue doesn't seem to include him in the Force's "balancing act". He speaks as though he knows how the system works but he himself is outside of it. It makes me wonder if that twisted form is just Snoke's own Darkside version of Luke's projection- like perhaps the real Snoke is still out in "The Beyond". This would explain his over arrogance when he says he can't be betrayed. Perhaps Snoke has to wait for a certain amount of hopelessness to overtake the GFFA in order for his darkside power to take hold and fully manifest there.

lawton likes this.
  8. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Never really thought about that but Serkis said he definitely took a lot of physical damage through the years. Having artwork like my avatar as an early possibility for his appearance also makes you wonder what the deal is with him. He is basically an undead lich in that look.

9. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Does this picture of Snoke look like something that has had its body that was cut in half put back together?

[​IMG]

At a minimal, it looks like something that has been through some rough stuff over the years.

Why go through so much trouble to have this character look like death personified if it ultimately doesn't mean anything?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    lawton likes this.
  10. HostofJakku

Jul 18, 2016
    Maybe snoke, Kylo, the KOR, and the first order are a level of evil beyond even the sith and we have only just begun to see the tip of the iceberg.

lawton likes this.
  11. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Safe to say Snoke's dead as dead. At the end of the film we saw what happens when you hit a Force projection with a lightsaber, and needless to say it doesn't lead to much. And then there's also the matter that, if we grant this, Snoke was apparently projecting a corpse for a long while with a funny face.

12. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017

And, when he's stabbed, his other Force power - holding Rey in position - ends. I think RJ went out of his way to say Snoke's dead.

13. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    It's the Force projection that killed Luke, not Kylo with his light saber. Luke couldn't be harmed by anything while projecting, but the effort of projecting exhausted him enough to kill him.

If Snoke was also projecting in the Throne room, it would mean that he was much powerful than Luke, which is possible considering he's said to be very old. All that we see in this scene (him cut in half, Rey's position...) could very well be a trick. Maybe the Snoke that we knew was no more than a puppet for an evil creature hid somewhere in the Beyond (since according to the last leaks, there will be a threat from the Beyond in Ep IX....). The Snoke that we saw in EP VII and VIII would be really dead (well, his body), but not the demonic creature who occupied him.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  14. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    This is true, however what Rian also went out of his way to show us was that force projections can have an effect on the physical world. We saw Kylo physically have rain on his hand as an effect of force projection, and that was unintentionally. We saw he and Rey also touch hands at one point. We saw Luke physically touch Leia and hand her dice, and we also saw Kylo physically pick up the dice and move it in his hands, via force projection. Then later, we saw Luke not be effected by Kylo's light saber or when he was fired on by hundreds of blaster shots.

Why would the director and writers go out of their way to show those things and have it not lead to anything later?

In my opinion, what they're showing is that there is some type of control that these force beings have over things that can be physically touched or not on these force projections. It's like they have an on and off switch of some sort.

Oh, and don't forget force ghost Yoda hitting Luke with his cane and also making lightning hit the Force Tree.

There are new rules and things being discovered about the force currently (at least from the audience perspective), and it is not impossible to think that Snoke isn't some sort of master force wizard that has figured out how to use this to cheat death. (I still say the mortal-looking wound to the head and ancient looking body has to have some type of meaning). Or, to take it a step further, the Yoda sequence could be hinting that Snoke could already be dead and be a force ghost projection himself.

To summarize, if the writers want Snoke to be back in the movie, the plot infrastructure is definitely there for it to happen.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  15. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    Snoke assumed Luke would return as the light to Kylos Darkness. But the Force chose Rey as his counter part.
    Seems to be a natural process in a Galaxy far far away.
    At least since Anakin brought balance.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    There is a clue that some Force projections linger longer than the main projection. Maybe Smoke can do the same, but with his body instead?

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  17. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    The unfortunate answer, without any type of cohesion, is that it can only mean what the current director wants it to mean. That's why this trilogy is having the trouble it is. Every film is looking at this world and these characters in a very different way.

lawton likes this.
  18. HostofJakku

Jul 18, 2016
    Lol snoke looks like Adam from Beetlejuice, when they resurrect them near the end. Snoke resurrected confirmed! [face_skull]

lawton likes this.
  19. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Snoke is also crazy powerful so he would certainly make the projection stuff last long enough to make them think he is truly dead and make sure he didn't give himself away. He also would have done it prior to Kylo even knowing about this projection stuff.

Out of all the little possible clues I would say those alien navigators from the unknown regions not being present in that 2nd throne room scene is probably the biggest clue Snoke may have physically left prior to that scene. No reason for them not to be there at that point.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  20. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    Apparently two of Snoke's attendants were there, but they fled before Hux entered in the Throne room: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Attendants

"As Ren brought Rey before Snoke, two Attendants were present in the throne room, standing before the oculus looking towards the Supreme Leader.[source?]

Sometime later, Hux entered the throne room to find it in shambles and on fire. Looking around he saw that the Attendants had fled before seeing Snoke dead in a crumpled head before his throne.[3]"

They could be the ones who will reveal to Hux and the KoR that Kylo killed their master...

21. lawton

May 12, 2015
    They are not there whatsoever in the movie when Kylo brings Rey into the throne room. Pretty sure on that.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  22. Mila Lazarus

Dec 29, 2018
    Isn't that them on the right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lawton likes this.
  23. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I think the real nail thing in things is that as far as we know, Serkis hasn't been called up at all for IX.

24. lawton

May 12, 2015
    You may be right - I need to look at the movie again but I thought I reviewed it and they were nowhere around when she is being brought in.

Now Just looking at the scenes on youtube they are missing when Rey is brought to Snoke but maybe something is cut off as I don't have the full movie right now. I am thinking those pictures were from where Hux departs and Kylo enters from the 1st throne room scene.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  25. Darth Geezy

Jan 29, 2016
    So the next movie is rumored to involve “a threat from beyond,” and here we have aliens from the beyond that witnessed the death, or possible supposed death of Snoke?

Key phrase - “As far as we know.”

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.