main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Snoke) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tobi, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Will Snoke return in Episode IX?

1. Yes - I think he's Darth Plagueis and can therefore cheat death (Even being cut in half)

14.9%
  2. Yes - perhaps a clone, or Force Ghost, or by some other means, like in a flashback

15.4%
  3. No - his story is done

69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enash

Enash Jedi Padawan

Feb 24, 2017
    Good point you made there. Sidious lost Darth Maul and needed a replacement. Count Dooku was nothing more than a stop gap.

2. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Looking at some of the stuff in the Aftermath novels knowing Palpatine's spirit is going to be in Ep 9 it looks like they were dropping small hints about this stuff:

Tashu talks about finding Palpatine out there in the dark saying everything lives in in his master design. I wonder if we might eventually find out there was more to Tashu's death with those artifacts than we realize.

Even Gallius Rax suggested something like that to the more cultist followers though he evidently doesn't believe the stuff himself.

In TLJ novel there is talk about Snoke defeating Legions that had underestimated him in his younger days and how the galaxy was different when he was younger.

I am thinking with that Aftermath stuff its even more likely Palpatine had Plagueis body on ice for when this time came and his spirit went directly to that source of the darkside in the unknown regions. Palpatine wouldn't have told people everything he knew. According to the TLJ novel it sounds like he made sure anyone that was a threat to him taking power of the first order that made it to the unknown regions he had taken out over time.

I am thinking his spirit now being in the part of the death star that crashed was just his plan to lure Kylo there after he let him cut his host body in half. His plan was probably to take over Kylo's body eventually after Luke had been killed. It says he had felt in his visions that Kylo had to be the one that killed Luke - which he did in a way I guess.

Also Palpatine's spirit being at that darkside source would explain how he had the crazy level of force power as Snoke

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  3. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Snoke could be sidious apprentice simple as that.Sidious ordered him to roam the unknown regions to mobilize resources.I suspect sidious didn’t care about the rule of two.

lawton likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Why is this thread even open?

ewoksimon likes this.
  5. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    From all accounts, it appears that there is some element of cheating death that *could* be introduced in Episode 9 by virtue of the apparent return of Palpatine, so this a.) keeps the possibility of Snoke returning on the table, b.) keeps the possibility of Snoke being Plagueis on the table, and c.) keeps the possibility of Palpatine having some role or tie-in with Snoke on the table, including the possibility that there was an essence transfer involving the two beings.

Snoke is dead, but until we see what Episode 9 brings with Palpatine, a dark side death may not be as black and white as some want to believe, especially considering the appearance of Snoke, who looks ancient and as if he has experienced a death of some sort in the past.

Some people have a want for there to be more to this character. I will never understand why some people seem to get offended by that.

moxlox and lawton like this.
  6. lawton

May 12, 2015
    I just don't see him having a 200+ year old apprentice with a body that broken down. We will find out I guess. I hope they let us know where Snoke's body came from at least in the Ep 9 novel. No reason to hide that any longer.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So people can ask why it's open. :p

cerealbox likes this.
  8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Knowing what I know regarding Palpatine everything else, I'm hoping a Snoke appearance constitutes of no more than a dream/vision by Kylo or Rey. Since there is no word on Serkis' involvement, however, I'm guessing he's out, but that's not a guarantee.

If he had a major return or role, it would scatter the plot of IX with everything going on with Kylo, Hux, the war and the Jedi plot. My hunch is that Allegiant General Pryde has more than a minor role.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If Snoke was hijacked by Palpatine’s spirit, hopefully we see how that went down in the expanded universe. Just who Snoke was before that incident.

10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Today is a sad day for me....I finally changed my vote up above on this poll, from Snoke being Plagueis to his story being done.

For the longest time, I held out the hope (for several reasons I had which I will not get into on this thread now) that Snoke was Plagueis. But after Snoke being killed off in TLJ, and even now finding out that Palpatine will still be an element of the story, I've ultimately decided to abandon that theory/hope. I would love to be proven wrong come December, but at this point it seems quite clear that's not where they are going with the story in this trilogy. And now with the presence of Palpatine, I don't see how they'd be able to work it out that both he AND Plagueis would appear as villains in TROS. IMO that would be just too big of a side story to shoehorn into what sounds like will already be a jam-packed episode...

That's that I guess. Still, having Palpatine in TROS kind of sweetens it up for me a bit I suppose, still giving me something interesting to look forward to on the villain side...

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Snoke was Plagueis. Hope of that theory snuffed out in the heart of yet another fan of Star Wars. It's a bitter pill to swallow. That's hard loss. I hope you continue to post on this forum and see The Rise of Skywalker in December.

Nice to put some positive sugar on the situation with Palpatine. If we live long enough, I'm sure we'll see Plagueis in a movie or TV show someday where he will get his proper due.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Don't count out Snoke's body being Plagueis just yet.

13. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    Is it Snoke who talks to Vader?

Sauron_18 likes this.
  14. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Interesting! I tend to think it's not, but it'd be cool, if they've found a way to make it work. Vader having a side-game going on, unbenownst to Sheev, is nothing new conceptually.

The voice sounds a little different though, it's sure not Andy. Guess to be fair Vader sounds a little off in this too, unsure who's voicing him but it sounds like an impersonator rather than Jones. It's pretty damn good, but still.

It's interesting to think about though, the other figure doesn't look like how Momin's depicted in the books, so probably someone other than him. Snoke's as good a guess as any - I tend to think it's probably someone else/new, but there's definitely a similarity from what we can tell from that.

Loving that Padme stuff there too. :)

The way that whole thing is constructed kinda irks me a tiny bit logically though, some random prisoner character spying on Vader, from that close no less, through bars with huge gaps in them? Surely a guy like Vader would sense the watching/eavesdropping, no? You'd figure the character wouldn't last three seconds before he's onto them.

EDIT: When's this game set, by the way? Between trilogies, or more around ANH/Empire period? Jedi?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  15. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Snoke was never Plagueis. Fortunately. It would have been, to quote Deadpool, ‘Lazy writing’.

Besides, it’s canon the Sith are no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Is it? All I remember is J.J saying before TFA that Snoke and Kylo specifically aren't Sith. Plus, if Palpatine really is back, then so are the Sith. Or, they never really were gone.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    this is very intresting with Vader and Soke and talking of what Plagueis of cheating death and controlling that power. I wonder how much cheating and controlling death will come into play in TROS. I loved this scene with Vader yaking og\f hes helmet and trying to reach for Padmee and screaming her name.

Mila Lazarus likes this.
  18. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Didn’t the TLJ Visual Dictionary state the Sith had been destroyed? Or the Art Book? And Lucas back in 2005?

Now things can change. Lucas can change his mind like no one else. Like no episodes 7-9.
    And for KK, the ultimate authority is the directors, not the Story Group or Art Group.

And Lucas for 7 and at least one of the above groups for 8 with RJ kicked around the idea of a Sith Ghost, though Sith aren’t supposed to survive death. Lucas considered this with Revan and Bane for Mortis. Filoni objected and Lucas eventually relented.

Hopefully Palpatine is in a holocron in IX. Or in a flashback or vision. As a FG or to have survived corporeally would undermine my least favorite SW film, which still has good qualities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Snoke is what would be called a Dark Side Adept. That person in the game does appear to be Snoke.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I posted this elsewhere back in April on Reddit, and it circulated a bit, but never discussed it here...

But I am a firm believer that Snoke being a separate character who was lured to the place where Palps spirit resided (his spirit anchor) and 'then' possessed is the most logical outcome and fits with literally everything we've been told so far.

1. It keeps Snoke a separate character with a distinct history, which is what nearly every statement so far on him has claimed. He can be whatever age they want with nearly any backstory they want, and yet it ultimately is only a side element to the larger story in play.
    2. It fits with the idea that he was a seeker of archaic Sith relics, and mirrors Luke being a seeker of Jedi relics after 6. Both of which are established canon facts in the games, novels, and (in Snoke's case most specifically) Art books.
    3. It explains how he can join the Imperial Remnants in the unknown Regions and just rather suddenly take over.
    4. It makes his level of power a bit more plausible. (Knows the Dark Side already, was already force sensitive, but masters it much more quickly with a Sith spirit in him)
    5. It fits surprisingly well with Palps plans for Operation Cinder (the planned destruction of the Empire after his death) and his desire to create a more ruthless incarnation (the First Order) to fill its place.
    6. It makes perfect sense that Palps would ultimate have a plan to cheat death through some sort of essence transfer into a younger body, because it means he then has the means to become an eternal immortal god of sorts, an ultimate form of a Sith who cheats death (as Sith spirits are not like Jedi who can retain their image after death in the force, but instead must anchor themselves to an object or living being. The Sith were also obsessed with survival, and looked for ways to cheat it). He was very old in episode 6 and likely had a contingency plan in mind for this kind of thing.
    7. While it may seem cheap at first glance (I was originally very against this idea, even rejoicing when the canon wipe got rid of the Dark Empire version), it actually does tie the 9 films together if we see the saga as a 3 part story about Palps' rise, rule, and post death threat. Defeating him 'is' the ultimate thread, and his spiritual survival is one of the few ideas that can unite all 9 films together.
    8. It fits with all the audio/dialogue hints we've been given in the films. (Musical cues, dialogue which mirrors Palps, ect)
    9. We already have stories of Sith spirits surviving through possessing objects 'and' people who yield said objects. It is plausible in current canon using only existing information.
    10. In Aftermath, Palps was able to sense a separate dark side essence from the Unknown Regions which was 'probably' Snoke. This is how he got the idea to lure him in for the future possession after some time.

In short, I think Snoke was a rich dark side relics collector with extensive knowledge of the unknown regions (possibly from there originally) who Palps sensed and lured to the site (perhaps the Death Star 2 ruins) where his spirit was anchored and resided 'after' his death, through the force. Snoke touched whatever arcane object Palps survived in, and was taken over. Already force sensitive and influenced by an existing collection of dark side relics, and already having massive resources and riches in the Unknown Regions, Palps uses Snoke to return to his Imperial Remnants and causes a coup, quickly taking over from the existing Imperial leadership and turning the First Order into what we know. Upon Snoke's death, Palps spirit was returned to the object he originally possessed, and he now seeks to lure new hosts (ultimately, Ben) to this place.

All of this is part of a long game plan to influence Ben Skywalker into becoming the ideal candidate for his new host, something he failed to do with Luke (and maybe even Anakin). He needs Ben to be fully dark and potently powerful, trying to purge the light in him where he failed with Vader (who was just damaged goods anyway). This is also why he is adamant about eliminating Luke (as a form of revenge), and overtaking the Skywalker line. He can literally become his worst enemy and gain ultimate power.

Palps may have also used other relics he touched (Vader's helmet, the compass Luke had) to influence others, like Kylo, or even momentarily tempt Luke himself when he considered killing Kylo and sensed the darkness in that room.

Naturally, I could be wrong about all of this. It almost seems odd that so much of the story would be given away so early, but I remain convinced that this is what will likely happen and some variation of this will be the truth behind Snoke. Heck, even if they tell us literally nothing about Snoke in 9 and merely bring back Palps spirit in some form, I'm putting this idea into my personal headcanon for the character. It fits with all we know about as well as anything can.

And no, I don't think he's Plagueis' body, simply because this has been denied by everyone involved with the ST numerous times.

21. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    I'm still learning towards something like this as well. It's a pretty simple explanation (imo) that ties things together nicely, though not a popular theory from what I've seen.

22. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    If you watch ROTJ, Palpatine did seem very eager for Luke to strike him down. Perhaps he wanted Luke's body but instead had to settle for Plagueis', which he kept on ice as a contingency plan.

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    That's actually a pretty cool theory.

24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Still doesn't square with their personalities/behavior not being the same though, that's my main issue with it.

Palpatine should definitely have been influencing Snoke, I just hope it's more subconsciously, subtle guidance through red herrings and force mojo, proverbial whispers in his ear, than full-on possessing & controlling him as an avatar. Keep them separate guys, Snoke was a legit darksider, but he's pretty much a chump in terms of widsom. Powerful in an ability sense, but nowhere near as wily as Sheev and totally oblivious to the fact he's been manipulated for a couple of decades to spirit-Palpatine's ends. Fits better with what we've seen of Snoke - similarities, traits that all darksiders probably share in broad terms, but different guys with different personalities/outlooks.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/age-of-resistance

[​IMG]
    Star Wars: Age of Resistance – Supreme Leader Snoke #1 (on sale September 11)
    “The Devil’s Apprentice!”
    Writer: Tom Taylor
    Artist: Leonard Kirk
    Cover: Phil Noto

Supreme Leader Snoke’s brutal training of Kylo Ren begins. Will the sadistic Snoke break his tormented protégé? Or has he underestimated the son of Han and Leia?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.