main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Snoke) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tobi, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Will Snoke return in Episode IX?

1. Yes - I think he's Darth Plagueis and can therefore cheat death (Even being cut in half)

14.9%
  2. Yes - perhaps a clone, or Force Ghost, or by some other means, like in a flashback

15.4%
  3. No - his story is done

69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Geezy

Darth Geezy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    We won't get anything meaningful out of comic book as far as his background is concerned. The comic book won't touch on anything we don't already know outside of some superficial conversations and training sessions that add to the overall lore, but not to the main saga story.

Basically, it'll just illustrate things and add meaningless conversations based on stuff we already knew - Snoke preyed on Kylo, Kylo turned evil, Snoke trailed Kylo, oh and we'll also get a random "Knights of Ren" reference or two which again, will just be vague and not really add any substance to the saga movie lore.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  2. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I will probably stay on the Snoke is Palp's spirit bandwagon until I see otherwise. Just so much stuff in the books pointing to it now that we have heard Palps spirit is still around.

I also strongly lean to that Snoke body being Plagueis as there is no other reason except for Plagueis connection to the darkside for Palps to purposely take on that old and broken down of a body. His plan all along was probably to take Kylo's once Luke was out of the picture. There are lines saying Snoke felt Kylo had to be the one to take down Luke.

3. Turinsd00m

Turinsd00m Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I don't think Snoke was manipulated by or possessed by Palps at all- I know they've had similar musical themes but I attribute that to the master/apprentice darkside manipulation bond more than I do to Palps as a character himself.

To me, if Palps could control Snoke then he'd have Snoke telling everyone about his forthcoming return. He would either claim ownership of Snoke's body and tell everyone he was Palp's new vessel- or he'd have Snoke acknowledging Palps was his master and steering Kylo's and the FO's loyalty towards himself. No, Snoke is not tied to Palps but he was trying to take advantage of Palp's Contingency and use his forces to take the galaxy for his own.

Perhaps- although Palps was the first to calculate a safe path through to this darkside source, another darkside adept (Snoke) in the past managed to make the trip without the jump calculations. This trip was not without cost though as passing through the various gravitational anomalies severely distorted his physical body. Still, reaching the source greatly enhanced his powers. When the imperial remnant took the trip out there after the Battle of Jakku, they found Snoke waiting for them. Perhaps it was Snoke that Palps felt waiting out there, and perhaps it was Snoke that manipulated Palps into starting the contingency plan in the first place- knowing that soon the path for his return to the GFFA would finally be re-opened.

lawton likes this.
  4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Can't see them going the apprentice route either, personally. Especially with just how powerful Snoke seems to be, vaguely comparable with Palps. That does seem to lend itself more to some-new-guy-from-the-unknown, or Palpatine-operating-through-an-avatar. I don't dig the latter that much, but it msotly makes sense other than the personalities.

Not sure "apprentice" really fits though, given what we know, and then the whole Matt Smith character in play too.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't see how Snoke is portrayed as anywhere near as powerful as Palpatine. Palpatine hid in plain sight without the Jedi ever taking notice until it was too late then took on four Jedi at once including one of the most powerful of the Order and killed three of them in mere seconds while taking Mace to essentially a stalemate. If that weren't enough he then overpowered Yoda. Snoke used Force lightning which we've seen others use (including Palpatine) and created a Force connection between Kylo and Rey. I don't think they're comparable at all.

6. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Sure he is. I'd argue nowhere near as wise, or even confident in his plans (we get a lot of that tension & paranoia in TFA, like he's not all that sure things are going to go his way), but in terms of just sheer force-feats he seems on-par.

We've never seen Palpatine on-screen **** with a subordinate through the force from a remote location, toss him around like a ragdoll to teach him a lesson for failing. Not that Palpatine couldn't do that, I'm sure he could, but going by what we've seen on-screen that seems a pretty damn advanced use of the Force.

No lightning doesn't seem to mean a great deal. Dooku was a big deal as a Jedi/darksider, but not on Palpatine level, and he could do the lightning. Don't recall Maul using it in TCW, but he's probably not all that far off from being on that level.

We've got Snoke bridging people's minds from across the galaxy, ragdolling someone on a spaceship from great distance away, stuff like that. Now sure, that'll fit well with the Palpatine-possessing-Snoke thing is they go that way, the power stuff will fit. It's just the personality discrepancies that won't sit well with me personally, they don't behave like the same guy, that's why I hope he's a separate entity who's just being unwittingly played by the Big Satan Spirit Of Doom.

The Legions of Lettow and lawton like this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We've seen Kylo Ren Force pull a subordinate to him from across the room, we've seen Darth Vader slam a Rebel Trooper against the ceiling. Those are comparable to what Snoke did with Rey and neither Kylo or Vader are as powerful as Palpatine. Nothing Snoke does makes me believe he's anywhere near Palpatine's level.

8. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, and seemingly both of those examples are way easier to do than do it from across the galaxy. In any case Snoke's been presented as a big deal thus far, "wise" and arrogant in his own prowess in the throne room and all. I don't think anyone actually believes he's as big a deal as Sheev in the long game, big picture, he's certainly not as astute a schemer. But of all the force-users we've seen on-screen there's examples of him doing more than others in an abilities sense. If that's Palpatine through him, cool, but if it's not, Snoke's pretty bigtime.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I might put him on Count Dooku's level. Maybe. :p

10. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Both old, both have cool names. It's settled. :p

11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't Palpatine force choke Dooku from across the galaxy in TCW and sense that Maul was on Mandalore? . and in the recent Age of Rebellion comic about Luke, Palps was even subtly influencing him from across the galaxy. Palpatine was able to use rituals to cause Yoda to fall into an illusion from across the galaxy. He also used sith sorcery to spew flames at Ezra and Ahsoka and create a semi-gateway to the World between worlds (allthough he needed Ezra to help him through it) and going by leaks from MSW he even cheated death (as a sith spirit). Snoke is really strong there's no denying that, but the true master of the Dark Side is Palpatine.

12. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Sure, and we haven't seen any other canon force-user do that stuff. Ergo, Snoke's up there broad-terms around Palpatine, assuming he's indeed a separate guy. Of course that's all moot if he's just an avatar and it was Sheev all along.

13. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Going by TLJ novel it sounds like Snoke and Palpatine are different people atleast to me. But the novels have been retconned before (Rey meeting Poe for the first time in TFA novel but then meeting him again for the first time in TLJ:p), I do however think it's very possible that Snoke has been acting on Palpatine's orders.

14. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Snoke was way more powerful than Palps (Pre-returned from the dead Palps anyway which maybe Snoke was) as he toyed with Rey like a rag doll while she possessed a lightsaber and literally made a joke out of Kylo controlling his level of attack not to really wound Kylo.

Kylo was repelled from mind probing Rey fully who was completely untrained and even after training with Luke Snoke fully probes her mind with ease while she tries resisting.

Palps couldn't even overcome a lightsaber assisted Jedi Master with his force lightning instead disfiguring his own face while trying to.

The power levels weren't even close but I do think Snoke was Palps in reality that had grown stronger from that source in the unknown regions probably.

15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Snoke was terrified of Luke, was Palps?

16. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Why do you think that as he said as long as Luke lived the resistance would still have hope. In the books or one of the other writings on Snoke it says he feels Kylo has to be the one to kill Luke suggesting it might be a vision he has had. Having said that I think there is a possibility we are just seeing a souped up Palps in reality.

17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    On the 'Stupid Name' level certainly.

18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

Would Palps be now? Probably.

"Terrified" is probably the wrong word, but he'd sure not underestimate that guy again. Luke's about the closest counterpoint to Palpatine strength-wise in the galaxy at this point, if Luke's somehow become more than a regular force ghost (still dead, but more, able to effect the regular plane) pretty sure that'd concern Sheev.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You leave Snooku out of this.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    You beat me to it. If it wasn't for these pesky 12 hour shifts draining my brainergy....

21. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Palpatine told Vader, "He (Luke) could destroy us," which is on par with how Snoke reacted to Luke.

The Legions of Lettow and lawton like this.
  22. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah. Son-of-the-Chosen-One, no matter if he's actually on dad's level force-potential-wise, isn't a development you take lightly.

Palpatine was way more sure of himself than Snoke in TFA though, Snoke does feel a lot more skittish and overcautious.

23. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I think if Snoke appears in Rise of Skywalker it will be in a flashback sequence that shows how he tempted Kylo to the Dark Side and how his relationship was established with Kylo. I see this information as necessary backstory especially if a redemption arc for Kylo wants to be pursued.

24. Goat Cheese

Goat Cheese Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2019
    Hate to beat this old drum, but Ezra could still be a candidate under these conditions.

1. He is a separate character with a distinct history. Fits with the "any age and backstory".
    2. Has explored, used, and experienced ancient temples and sith relics and has a propensity for collecting things.
    3. Was last known to be accompanied by Grand Admiral Thrawn, expert of the unknown regions, himself.
    4. Somewhat powerful and force-sensitive and has flirted with the dark side. Mentored by a Sith Lord, a Jedi, and even something in between.
    5. He's just waiting out in the unknown regions. Imagine Sidious sitting on his throne suddenly picking up a faint signal, either through the force or something sent from a trusted subordinate...
    6. He is a fresh young body, powerful, but not so powerful he could resist. Possibly not powerful enough to be able to withstand the possession without severe physical consequences.
    7. Palpatine knows him, and Ezra has observed bits and pieces of the past present and future, squared off against Vader (and lived to tell the tale), and met both Leia and Obi-Wan personally. He is the only known character to have experienced the World Between Worlds, of great interest to Palpatine, which makes him a uniquely qualified character.
    9. He encountered his "possessed" friends at one point.
    10. He may not be dark, but he could be a sensible essence. Maybe while searching for a way home he unlocks something that catches Palpatine's attention.
    Bonus: He has a propensity for making up stupid names and a history with hiding behind helmets.

Now imagine that after Palps failed to turn Luke and was dumped into a reactor, his spirit desperately clung to something until it could lure the only other known viable candidate. One who is strong enough to put up a fight but not strong enough to win and his body is stretched and twisted beyond recognition. Boom, we had the origin story all along and the extra TV and book stuff was actually relevant.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Demon4x4 likes this.
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.