main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Snoke) In Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Tobi, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Will Snoke return in Episode IX?

1. Yes - I think he's Darth Plagueis and can therefore cheat death (Even being cut in half)

14.9%
  2. Yes - perhaps a clone, or Force Ghost, or by some other means, like in a flashback

15.4%
  3. No - his story is done

69.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    How they used the term countless legions of adversaries Snoke defeated that would only apply to the Clone Wars I would think. It also says he killed a bunch in backhanded ways also just like Palps did. We have Serkis saying Snoke blames the resistance/rebels for his "damage and pain" and Snoke using the term rebels when discussing the resistance also.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I loved Soke in his comic, his demeanor. It shows the difference between Sonke and Palpatine. I hope to see mutch more of Snoke after episode ix.

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That was pretty interesting that he can fool Snoke into thinking he killed the apparition of his parents (and fool the reader for a moment).

Maybe he was worthy to usurp Snoke in TLJ afterall.

Backstory is always welcome.

I've said before, but it is kind of neat they are trying to make the new EU the same universe as the films.

I haven't read the original EU novels at all but from what I heard it was kind of all over the place.
    Not a comment on its quality, just the level of canon.

So much content... I just watch the saga films but I admit I'm getting curious.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Django, not sure we should be exactly counting Luke's screwing around with the droid for a minute on the Falcon as "training".

That's about as much "training" as Luke put Rey through when sitting on the cliff outcropping. Rudimentary orientation stuff, and pretty much less detailed/in-depth to boot.

5. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I know what you mean. I super geeked about TROS, but I can't wait to see what comics we get to fill in the large gap between 6 and 7.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  6. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    You can buy it for Kindle for about $4. You don't need a Kindle. You can use the Kindle app on your iPad (for example). Personally, I'm not a comics fan. But after reading some of the latest releases, I'm enjoying them. And on the iPad, you can easily zoom into each panel on a page. It is so cool. Way less distracting that way. I'm definitely going to be reading more comics now.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

7. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I think that's up to interpretation. The novelization keeps things ambiguous, as have most references to Snoke's past. The novelization does specifically say, though, that it is "ironic" that Snoke's knowledge of the Force is connected to Sidious. That tells me that they're likely not the same person, and perhaps even that, if they did had a connection, it was not an amicable one. Otherwise, what would be the irony?

But from his Age of Resistance comic issue, we do once again see how knowledgeable he is. He knows things that most beings do not, whether they relate to history, to the experiences of other Force users, or to places of power in the galaxy. And the storytellers are aware of this, it's discussed in the brief article at the end of the comic. But they emphasize that our lack of knowledge of him, his mystery, is even a characteristic of Snoke's in-universe. He seems to be unknown even to other characters, so that it may not be so much that the audience has not been told things others know, but rather that Snoke himself really did almost appear out of nowhere from an in-universe perspective.

We'll see if that builds up to anything, perhaps in the Rise of Kylo Ren comic, but to me what that already says is that likely his past is not directly connected to anything we've seen before in the films or TV series. I think it points to a much bigger galaxy full of unknown histories, worlds, and races. And if Snoke remains a mystery, then he at least does symbolize that bigger world.

8. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Good points but its hard for me to see him not being Palps with all the little nuggets dropped in the novels starting with the Aftermath ones. I guess we may find out soon if we are lucky if they don't decide to hide the answer to that for a while. That Pablo said Snoke was the character closest to George's thinking when he sold Star Wars to Disney makes me wonder if this whole thing is pretty complicated however between Snoke/Palps/Unknown Regions.

9. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I thnik Snoke will be this mysterious character fro while and here and there we will get something off him. Once ix is done i'm sure will see him rebuilding the empire and making it into the first order. his backstory might wait longer for. I believe he's at least a few hundered years old.

Darth Caliban and lawton like this.
  10. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Well Serkis said he was a couple of hundred years old when pressed one time which I took as that might be the age of the body if there is some possession going on. He was also talking about him underestimating that female (Rey) and really made a point about it (I am guessing maybe about not killing her when he had the chance). I wonder if there is anything in Palps background about underestimating females or something. Serkis was really stuck on that it seemed.

11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    They will wait till after episode 9 to start giving out more Snoke information. i am willing to bet they ain't allowed yet.

Fredrik Vallestrand and lawton like this.
  12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    witch is why his own comic is more about Ben.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Except for Star Wars Rebels when we got the story of young Snoke back when he was called Ezra.

14. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think Snoke will be mentioned in TROS (probably by Sidious and by Kylo), but not seen at all. No flashbacks. No hologram recordings. No dream sequence.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  15. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    My thoughts on Snoke's past have changed multiple time over the years. But with time some ideas have come to seem more likely than others. The Aftermath novels first referenced that Palpatine sensed something calling to him from the Unknown Regions, something related to the dark side. At the time, many of us assumed this meant Snoke. But then Snoke's death in TLJ made this seem unlikely, by showing us that he was not the big threat of the film trilogy.

And the TLJ novelization does clarify a more likely scenario. In that book, Snoke says that he was the "furthest thing from what the tattered remnants of Palpatine's Empire had imagined for a leader" and that the evolution of the First Order was not so much part of a master plan but rather the result of improvisation. He says that Palpatine's plans were not enough to save the Imperial remnant from the threats they encountered in the Unknown Regions. Instead, it was Snoke's knowledge that saved them, knowledge that, "ironically, led back to Palpatine and his secrets." Snoke then goes on to say, clarifying the Aftermath references: "Sidious knew that the galaxy's knowledge of the Force had come from those long-abandoned, half-legendary star systems, and that great truths awaited rediscovery among them. Truths that Snoke had learned and made to serve his own ends."

To me that entire passage indicates that Snoke is very much a separate actor who was not part of Palpatine's plans, and therefore is very unlikely to be the Emperor himself in some resurrected or half-resurrected form. Indeed it sounds more like Snoke arrived out of nowhere, having learned his knowledge of the Force from the very source that Palpatine had been attracted to, and took over the remnant. In other words, Snoke beat Palpatine to the punch, and then he took over the nascent war machine Palpatine had prepared. Considering TROS, it's possible that Palpatine intended for the First Order to serve him in his return, and that Snoke took advantage of the power vacuum left by the Sith's death to further his own plans for domination.

To me this also fits very well with the Snoke issue of Age of Resistance. Snoke displays his knowledge yet again by indicating that he was familiar with the cave in Dagobah as well as with the details of Skywalker's training there. Perhaps even the Rarlech System seen at the start of the issue will also turn out to have some connection to the history of the Force. Snoke has consistently displayed that he does have much knowledge of the Force and its history, but how he has acquired that is a mystery to the audience and to other characters. And what he wants is power, to conquer and dominate the galaxy. Palpatine already had that, and Snoke explicitly mentions this as his goal when he reminisces about how he could've already accomplished it if Luke had been corruptible (a thought that would not make sense coming from Palpatine).

So right now that's my main theory. It may be frustrating, because essentially it's saying that Snoke is a mystery. He appeared out of nowhere, but not in a sense that would cause plot issues, such as if he'd been a part of the Empire, but rather from outside the Empire. It hints at a larger galaxy out there, with new potential threats who could emerge from the fringes. And I'm kind of OK with that. I do want to see more about Snoke, but especially in terms of learning more about how he corrupted Kylo Ren and about his relationship, if he has any, with Luke. But now I'm also hoping his deeper backstory does remain somewhat mysterious.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Darth Caliban and lawton like this.
  16. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

Which is how it should be. He's not important.

All we need is whatever the dynamic was between he and Sheev, you can cover that in exposition from Palpatine in 10 seconds.

Rodie likes this.
  17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    He's important, just not the story of ix.

18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I mean he alone is the reason the first order has come back and in full force and he brought down the downfall of Luke and his jedi. So he has big history with Luke and his family.

20. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Not...necessarily?

I tend to agree, it seems like Luke & Leia/Han were aware of him pre-ST more than just "leader of the First Order" in the abstract. But that's speculation.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well he has history with Luke it seems, and thats been hints in TLJ novel and now his comic. Also in the moives he speaks of Luke with fear and respect.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  22. lawton

May 12, 2015
    Hard to say but I see that as them trying to not 100% give it away that he is Palps when looked at with the other things in the book.

The main evidence to me is that it says the Imperial remnants knew exactly who Snoke was but were not expecting this rise to power and it really caught them by surprise which tells you he was from the main part of the galaxy and they 100% were familiar with him.

So we have someone that they know and has destroyed countless legions of enemies before (and also had prior apprentices) yet they are really surprised he took power in the unknown regions? How would they be surprised someone that had done things like that would take power?

That does match up exactly with being shocked Palpatine came back from the dead however which was teased in the Aftermath books with Tashu where the leaders thought that was a joke actually but let him talk that stuff to the troops.

You also have them almost going with an undead skeleton for Snoke's appearance also.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Sauron_18 likes this.
  23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
  24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Agree 100%..."It was I who allowed Snoke and the First Order to rise..." etc.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  25. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Pretty much. Sheev calls him a useful idiot or some equivalent, mocks him for thinking he was all that. "The galaxy is full of secrets that fool could never even concceeeiiiveee, mwahahahaa!" type of dealio.

Bing bang boom, all you need to know for the story being told in the movies. Sure Snoke's history will be laid out in a book someday, but it's not pertinent here. Snoke's story starts when Ben comes into his life, and sounds like Palpatine was puppeteering all of that anyway.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.